Start by marking “Best of Apex Magazine: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Best of Apex Magazine: Volume 1

Best of Apex Magazine: Volume 1

Whether wandering down endless stairwells, searching for answers in the desert, or reaching out to the stars, for more than six years Apex Magazine has entertained readers with stories that are strange, beautiful, shocking, and surreal. Now, for the first time, editors Jason Sizemore and Lesley Conner are collecting the award winning and nominated stories, those chosen by ...more
Published January 12th 2016 by Apex Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Best of Apex Magazine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best of Apex Magazine

Althea Ann
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
***** Jackalope Wives by Ursula Vernon
A 'selkie story' set in the southwest. This story manages to do something rare: it takes a familiar folktale/myth, gives us a truly authentic-feeling rendition, and adds something truly new (and significant), and something unexpected. Beautiful, and sad.

**** Going Endo by Rich Larson
Challenging, but ultimately heartwarming story. Future space battles are being fought by humans who interface with aliens in an extremely intimate way. Many see the alien being
Leo Robertson
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through Apex's Minions Read and Review Program, which provides you with any Apex ebook of your choosing in exchange for an honest review:

Which is cool and generous and why I'm ashamed to say I think I got this book this time last year (but I will feel better about this if you'll consider joining the program too :D)

As even this book's editors acknowledge, fiction being subjective means that "best of" is at best an approximation--but whi
Frank Errington
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Before I get to the review of this anthology I have to comment on the exceptional cover art "Life is a Dance in the Rain" by Adrian Borda. This piece really sets the stage for the twenty-one stories that follow in this first collection of the Best of Apex Magazine.

An Apex story can be difficult to describe, but in this collection I enjoyed nearly every one of them. Its the best of speculative fiction, covering multiple genres with an international list of authors, some familiar, many
Beth Cato
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a gratis copy of this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Apex Magazine publishes incredibly strong and profound work, and this anthology highlights the best of the best, from award finalists and winners to readers' choice stories. Not all of them were to my taste, and that's fine; I'd rather read an anthology with several stand-out WOW pieces than one that is consistently okay. One of my all-time favorite stories in recent years, "Jackalope Wives" by Ursula Vernon, is first in
The Grim Reader
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apex magazine has brought together the best stories from the magazine in a collection that features a wide variety of styles. The cover art is fantastic and really sets the tone for what lies within. Stories about legends, love and the future are just some of the topics covered within this excellent volume of speculative fiction. As with most collections/anthologies there are always some stories that resonate more than others, but overall this is a very good example of the quality of fiction tha ...more
Tammy
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

The nitty-gritty: A fantastical gathering of Apex’s best of the last six years, showing a broad range of styles and talents in speculative fiction, with something for everyone.

Apex Magazine has been going strong for six years, and I’m so happy to have read this group of stories selected from among hundreds published over the course of those years. I recently interviewed editors Jason Sizemore and Lesley Conner about the process of gathering and selecting stories for this book, so if you missed t

J.D.
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a feast for the imagination, and also good aerobic exercise for the mind. You will probably read some of these stories more than once, or loop back to the beginning to restart the fun; but, if you try to separate specifically the genre or sub-genre of some, it’s going to take you the whole year to finish the book. I stopped doing that half way.

I was provided with an electronic ARC of this collection, in exchange for an honest review, and can say that, if you like SF, Fantasy, the ‘weird’
Maria Haskins
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a diverse and multi-faceted collection of short stories from Apex Magazine: scifi, fantasy, horror, and all the shades in between are represented here. There are some exceptionally strong stories in this collection, including two fantasy/mythology-tales by the fantastic Ursula Vernon: Jackalope Wives and Pocosin. Vernon's beautifully crafted prose is a thing of wonder, and she paints a world that shifts between the fantastic and the familiar. For me, those two short stories in themselves ...more
Darren
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this as a e-book from a site called library thing. It is a book of short stories from various authors. I enjoyed reading it. I find these authors have a good talent for writing fiction stories.
Marcheto
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
My main problem with this anthology is that I don’t think the tittle does justice to the magazine. I can see that including award winning and nominated stories and reader’s favorites seems logical criteria, but unfortunately they have left out most of my favorite Apex’s stories (“During the Pause”, by Adam-Troy Castro or “Paperclips and Memories and Things That Won’t Be Missed”, by Caroline M. Yoachim, to mention just a couple of examples).

In any case, this collection is a great way to
Joy
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid collection of award-worthy (and award-winning) stories. In the interests of disclosure, I am gratified to find I know several of the contributors. In addition, I won my copy of the eBook edition from the Early Reviewers group at LibraryThing. For many of the stories this was my second reading, as I enjoyed a subscription to Apex last year, which was why I requested the review copy: I knew the material would be stellar.

I was not disappointed. Every story here touched me and took m
imyril
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
Whether you know and love Apex Magazine already or pick this up as a taster, you'll find it's a little bundle of joy - assuming that nuanced, sometimes edgy speculative fiction that frequently left me in tears is your cup of tea. It's certainly mine. There are several award-winning shorts collected here along with a selection of the best of the first six years.

That said, I found the second half much more to my taste than the first, with the exception of collection opener Jackalope Wives, which i
Andrea
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The whole thing blew me away, really. A great collection. I was expecting much more strict scifi, but these stories were a fantastic mix of scifi, fantasy, and a little bit of horror (more Gothic than slasher).

What struck me is that these played to the strengths of the SHORT story, tossing the reader into the middle of a world and letting them figure things out as they go. Some stories felt unfinished or not fully realized, which is absolutely not a bad thing.
Eric Edstrom
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This collection of the best of Apex magazine was quite good. The stories are dark, emotional, and always weird.
Chrysten Lofton
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5.0⭐ “Dakila: So, everything is okay? You’re safe? — Adan: Of course. Why shouldn’t I be?”
**spoilers**

If you’re here, and you’re following my reviews, thank you for rolling with me. We’re on episode 29 of Stitcher’s LeVar Burton Reads, and we’re gifted with Multo by Samuel Marzioli.

o_0

AhhHHHHhhHH

Heccin Scare ! ! !

Dang. Samuel and LeVar, you spooky bastards. x-D

I listened to this story at work and at the time, it was empty and dead quiet, except for an ambient fish tank bubbling and a f
Julio
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cf, cuentos
Apex Magazine es una revista online de ciencia ficción y horror. Los números pasados se pueden acceder sin restricciones para lectura gratuita. Eso permite reconstruir compilaciones como esta. O construir compilaciones propias, cercanas a esta. Y disfrutar de cuentos excelentes, escritos por escritores que poco a poco se convierten en nombres familiares, como Ursula Vernon o la delicadamente poética Catherynne Valente. Realmente vale la pena.
Eva Ebert
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's just that I'm still in the middle of Weird Tales, which has many stories in the same genre, but I felt like this was "just" a ghoststory. Well written, certainly, but nothing jumped out at me in any sense of the word. I kept waiting for a twist or a surprise, that this rather traditional narrative never delivered.
David Blaylock
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I am not a fan of horror, and this was a bit scary at times.
Keith Davis
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of stories from the online science fiction/fantasy magazine http://www.apex-magazine.com. All the stories in the collection feature transformation in one form or another: animal to human, human to alien hybrid, human to robot, human to online data, human to chocolate, etc. Most of the transformations have metaphorical elements, such as in "If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love" but a few are straight up fantasy. The opening story "Jackalope Wives" works as both fantasy/horror ...more
Hanike
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Being mildly familiar with Apex Magazine, I was super excited to read this anthology and I was gifted with an Early Reviewer pick.
If I could resume my experience with a single word... being unfair, I'd say it was... strange!
I wished it was a "good strange", but it wasn't. In general.
Don't get me wrong: there are a few very well-written stories and some really crazy yet interesting ones inside this anthology… but you have to be very patient to get to them, as they are hidden among some pretty… de
Caragh
Note: I received this book as part of Librarything's Early Reviewer Program in exchange for an honest review.

Points I loved: The cover, the diversity in story type, cultural starting points, and imagination. I liked a lot of the stories, and adored a few of them; notably Remembery Day, Still Life, and Armless Maidens of the American West (as a story it was the perfect amount of information, but I would love to see more in this universe).

But on the whole the story selection was... well, there are
Cheryl Montgomery-Nolan
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this magazine in exchange for an honest review, but I got much more than I expected. I loved, loved, LOVED it! It is the penultimate in award-winning fiction. You won't regret your purchase.
L'erin
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales of Challenging the Norm
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2014
  • The Apex Book of World SF 3 (Apex Book of World SF #3)
  • Fearsome Magics
  • Fat Girl in a Strange Land
  • C is for Chimera
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • The Time Roads
  • War Stories: New Military Science Fiction
  • Operation Arcana
  • Different Kinds of Darkness
  • After the End: Recent Apocalypses
  • Plow the Bones
  • Digital Rapture: The Singularity Anthology
  • Speculative Fiction 2013: The Year's Best Online Reviews, Essays and Commentary
I was born the son of an unemployed coal miner in a tiny Kentucky Appalachian villa named Big Creek (population 400). It’s an isolated area with beautiful rolling hills, thick forests, and country folk. I lived in Big Creek until I went to college, spending my weekends cruising the Winn Dixie parking lot of ladies, partying in my cousin’s run-down three room trailer, and being a member of the bad- ...more