Start by marking “The Smoke Hunter” as Want to Read:
The Smoke Hunter

The Smoke Hunter

THE SMOKE HUNTER by Jacquelyn Benson brings you the thrills of Indiana Jones, the action of Scott Mariani, the conspiracy of Dan Brown and the authenticity of Clive Cussler. Are you ready to join the adventure?

'Intrigue and suspense aplenty. A refreshing and original new voice' Scott Mariani

'The illegitimate love-child of Lara Croft and Indiana Jones... Fast-paced and act
Published November 3rd 2016 by Headline

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

With a thirst for knowledge and hunger for adventure in her soul, Ellie is severely handicapped by the time period, 1898. Even with a degree and top of her class, when it is found out that she is a suffragette, she is quickly sacked from her job in The Public Record Office but not before she commits one more act of defiance. When Dawson, a claimed arche
Glory
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Я боялась начинать эту книгу. Боялась, потому что дико хотела чего-то романтического, мистического, полного тайн и приключений, с нераздражающими героями и необычным сюжетом. Запросики, да? Но вот хотела. На этой почве пересмотрела затертую до дыр "Мумию", взгрустнула и поняла, что среди книг так и не нашла истории, которая вызвала бы подобные чувства.
И вот тогда наткнулась на дебютный роман Жаклин Бенсон.
Пафосные зазывалки, если честно, настораживали. Ну правда, на такое еще ведутся?
THE SMO
Jay
Dear Ms. Benson, I'm sorry but there must be a misunderstanding. I'm not ready to get to the end, yet there are no more pages! Please explain yourself.

Eleanora "Ellie" Mallory works as an archivist in a small London office, even though she has a degree in Natural Sciences and Anthropology from the University of London. What she really wants to do is explore the world and all its secrets, but being an unmarried and ambitious woman in the 19th century meant getting the middle finger from societ
Maya Panika
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
It’s 1898 and Eleanora Mallory is an educated woman burning with (justifiable) outrage at the limitations and condescension inflicted on her gender. Sitting in her boss’s office, waiting to be dismissed from her beloved job, she finds an old book that turns out to be hollow, containing a map and an artefact, which she decides to steal, setting out on a bold adventure, sailing to British Honduras in search of a lost Mayan city, pursued by relentless, ruthless men determined to get the map and art ...more
edifanob
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, 2016-reads
The book delivered exactly what has been promised.
If you like Indiana Jones adventures then you will like "The Smoke Hunter"
Carol
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The Smoke Hunter by Jacquelyn Benson
3 stars

From The Book:
Frustrated suffragette and would-be archaeologist Ellie Mallory stumbles across a map to a city that shouldn't exist, a jungle metropolis alive and flourishing centuries after the Mayan civilization mysteriously collapsed. Discovering it would make her career, but Ellie isn't the only one after the prize. A disgraced professor and his ruthless handler are hot on her heels, willing to go any extreme to acquire the map for themselves.

To race
Evie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a book!

The book was so long I don't even know where to start.

Ellie is a modern woman for her day. Not only does she work as an archivist, but she's also an activist for women's rights. She's so passionate about equality and women's right to vote that she finds herself chained to Parliament. Her little protest costs her her job. Right before she gets fired she slips in her pocket a mysterious map and a pendant. She swears she's only borrowing it and will return it, but soon finds out her cu
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-reads, romance
If you spent your childhood in love with Harrison Ford and watching Romancing the Stone on a loop, Jacquelyn Benson has just the book for you.

The Smoke Hunters takes place in 1898, when archivist Eleonora Mallory loses her position for a spot of suffragette-ism. On her way out the door, she liberates a map and an artifact she suspects may lead to a long-lost city in Central or South America, little knowing that by doing so she's placed herself in peril from a group that will stop at nothing to
Karen Mace
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of the recent Sky One series, Hooten and the Lady, as I was, then this is the book for you! Here we get to follow Eleanora Mallory as she lives in Victorian London and isn't happy at the norm for women of the time. She wants adventure and wants to be challenged. She is highly educated and can't stand to see men promoted to higher positions when she knows she is smarter than them.

After she gets sacked, she manages to leave where she worked with a rare artifact and map reporting t
Bob Milne
Nov 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: archaeology, dnf
Just not for me, I'm afraid.

Too light, too pulpy, too silly, too improbable, and too romantic.

The blurbs promised Indiana Jones, Dan Brown, Clive Cussler, and Lara Croft, but this is really more like a made-for-TV remake of the cheesiest bits of Romancing the Stone.
Kate
A fun and light-hearted historical romp and archaeological mystery set in the jungles of central America in 1898.

Anne Lind
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolutely derivative, ridiculous, and preposterous, but jolly good fun and an entertaining read.
Charles Green
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-vine
Jaquelyn Benson's 'The Smoke Hunter' has to be one of the more diversely derivative books I have read, stealing as it does from a wide variety of sources.

The greatest unacknowledged debt that it owes is to the first modern cinematic reworking of 'The Mummy' released in back in 1999 and starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz. Benson's heroine, the prim but independently minded and resourceful Elleanora Mallory is almost a carbon copy of Weisz's character from the film, Evelyn Carnahan, right do
Victoria Farrow
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Original Review: http://readingwritingbooking.blogspot...

After the first few chapters of The Smoke Hunter by Jacquelyn Benson (Headline) I considered giving up as I was not particularly impressed. The stock characters were acting out a story that's by no means new. And the romance, which can be seen coming a mile off, was almost ridiculously clichéd.

There were a few touches of depth; the lead character Ellie is a suffragette and Benson writes about the restraints and patriarchy that she encounte
Clare
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This review was originally posted at Dual Reads
Uncorrected proof copy received from publisher for honest review

It took me a while to compose my thoughts enough to write a review that wasn't just "I love it, I love it, I love it". Because I feel like this is a book I've been waiting for most of my life. It's a sort of Romancing the Stone/Indiana Jones/The Mummy mix set in the Victorian era with a heroine who is smart and brilliant and with a romance that was engaging but never took over the plot
Ellie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! I try to avoid comparisons but it's hard to say this isn't a bit like Indiana Jones, but with a suffragette in the staring role (OK, maybe she meets an Indiana type figure too). The tone also reminds me a little of Gail Carriger, so don't expect some serious historical fiction and you'll be on the right track.

Ellie is just as clever and educated, if not more so, than her male peers but she is stuck doing a menial task in the public records office. That's until she's arrested for
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
An absolute swashbuckler of a book. After discovering a potential treasure map Eleanora sets off under the fake name of her best friend to begin the adventure of a lifetime - full of Victorian bad guys, danger at every turn and some ancient South American mysteries.

This is a looooong book but it's a fats paced and enjoyable one. The story doesn't let up for a minute swiftly moving from London to South America. Eleanora is a modern Victorian woman who would rather work than, as she feels, lose h
Joy Smith
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
The prologue (1632) is long and bloody, setting the stage for the adventure that follows in 1898. Eleanora Mallory must deal with the restrictions of her time--not an easy task, especially since she wants to be an archeologist. She's an archivist, but that gives her the opportunity to find a map and an artifact that will send her on a long and dangerous trek to Central America and a lost city. She, uh, borrows them, not knowing that they were about to be sold by her boss to a dedicated and dange ...more
Michelle
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic adventure, like Romancing the Stone meets Indiana Jones with a feminist heroine! Ellie is smart and determined to be more than the Victorian age London tells women that they can be. Alan Bates is an experienced explorer who helps Ellie find the mythic White City, all the whole chased by bad guys. Their adventure and romance was fun and enthralling, and was right up my alley. For fans of Clive Cussler, James Rollins, and Dan Brown.
OLT
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This hit the spot for me. I've been in a romance-reading slump lately and this "Indiana Jones meets Romancing the Stone" plot was fast, fun and a bit fantastical. Great escape reading. And it has received this praise from author Deanna Raybourn: "Fans of spirited heroines, dashing heroes, and perilous mysteries will love this rollicking adventure. A thoroughly engaging debut."

In 1898 London heroine Ellie Mallory, University of London graduate, feminist, suffragette, and employee of the Public Re
James
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fr, 2017
Indiana Jones meets Lara Croft is a pretty good description for this book, with the additional part of the protagonist Ellie Mallory, being a rookie. Readers who are fans of either of these characters are likely to enjoy this book.

I really enjoyed this book, although it was a little slow to get started. Once Adam Bates made a permanent appearance the pace picked up. My only disappointment, and maybe it's a good thing, is that (view spoiler)
Teresa
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adventure readers will love this story of a mid-twenties woman in 1898 who works for the parliament as an archivist. She loves adventure. Upon discovering a mysterious artifact, she sets out to discover the mystery that lies behind it.
She is not alone, a handsome and intelligent surveyor crosses her path and she is pursued by greedy criminals.
I am not one for authors who like to share their political views in their writing, this book had a small amount of that. But it wasn’t too “in your face” s
JB Anonym
The book is like fine Italian cuisine.

The ingredients are simple enough—nothing earth-shatteringly new you haven't consumed before—but it's all cooked up in a fresh, mouth-watering way.

The dialogue, the plot arc, the pacing, the POV shifts, the slow-burn romance were all great. Simple, yes, but executed well. So well I could stop over-analyzing for once and just melt into the story and enjoy it.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much I ditched the Kindle edition and picked up a print copy so I could carr
Breakaway Reviewers
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Victorian Britain’s own female Indiana Jones’s Archaeology adventure.

This is a thrilling adventure story. It tells the story of Eleonora (Ellie) Mallory from London and Adam Bates from San Francesco. She was an office clerk who found a mystery object and decides to return it to the place where it originated from Hell in the New World.

The journey from old civilised world to ‘Hell’ as Ellie took that possession and fled the villains who followed her across the Atlantic Ocean. She met Bates, who ha
Mary
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yep, this book pretty much lives up to the hype. It's an Indiana Jones type adventure with non-stop action. I wasn't sure when I first started the book but I found myself quickly swept up in the adventure of a lifetime. I thought the journey thru the hellish maze was particularly exciting. My only complaint was how the action was occasionally interrupted by Ellie and Adam silently analyzing their feelings for each other. It was kind of a buzz kill and it took me out of the action. That aspect as ...more
Katie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly entertaining and fun! Yes, it stole from a ton of adventure story tropes, but who cares. The author admits as much in her bio when she says she's a huge fan of Indiana Jones. I enjoyed the characters, the scrapes they got themselves into, and the last 40 pages were impossible to stop reading. If you're looking for serious fiction, this isn't your book. But if you're looking for an entertaining read and some nail-biting action scenes, you'll be satisfied by this one. I hope the author ...more
BRT
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only thing more improbable than an undiscovered treasure city from an unknown civilization in South America is an educated woman in the late 1800's who manages to find a map to said city, evade capture by mysterious ruthless criminals, and head off alone in search of said city without money or clothes of her own. However, I LOVED every improbable, outlandish, spine-tingling twist & turn of this delightful novel.
Kevin Fanning
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was SO FUN. An extremely welcome bit of escapism from a fucked up world. A woman in late 1800s London escapes societal expectations to become a would-be Indiana Jones on the hunt for answers to archaic mysteries and ~romance~ in Central America. Really engaging, super fun all the way through. If you're hyped up on Wonder Woman and bummed that Lara Croft wasn't a better series, this is the book to read.
Lydia
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good read! Characters were believable and the action kept coming. The romance was minor and didn't detract from the story (Always an important factor for me). Reminded me a lot of The Mummy, just with El Dorado instead of Egypt.
KateTrot
Loved this fun and flirty historical novel! Enjoyed it start to finish as the lead character's adventure take her across the world into a thrilling adventure. Highly recommend!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Around the Year i...: The Smoke Hunter, by Jacquelyn Benson 2 15 Feb 06, 2017 07:57AM
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Until the Sea Shall Give Up Her Dead
  • The Midas Legacy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #12)
  • Love in a Time of Monsters (Golden Age of Monsters, #1)
  • The Hot Country (Christopher Marlowe Cobb Thriller #1)
  • Thirst
  • Propinquity
  • Look What the Wind Blew In (Dig Site Mysteries, #1)
  • The Vanishing Island (The Chronicles of the Black Tulip #1)
  • Ramsey's Gold (Drake Ramsey #1)
  • Sentinel (Spycatcher, #2)
  • The Tenth Witness (Henri Poincare Mystery, #2)
  • The Rosetta Key (Ethan Gage, #2)
  • The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5)
  • Pyramid (Jack Howard, #8)
  • The Trench Angel
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
  • Beauty, Beast, and Belladonna (Fairy Tale Fatal Mystery, #3)
Jacquelyn Benson has always known who she wanted to be when she grew up: Indiana Jones. But since real archaeology involves far more cataloguing pot shards and digging through muck than diving out of airplanes and battling Nazis, she decided to devote herself to shamelessly making things up instead.

Jacquelyn studied anthropology in Belfast, Northern Ireland and married a man from Dublin, New Hamp