Start by marking “The Slightly Annoying Elephant” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Slightly Annoying ...

David Walliams

The Slightly Annoying Elephant

Number one bestselling author David Walliams presents his first picture book for children of 3 and up, illustrated by artistic genius Tony Ross.

What’s big, blue, bossy, and turns up uninvited?

A slightly annoying elephant, of course!

Introducing a magnificently warm and funny picture book from two remarkable talents.

Adopt your copy today!
Board Book, 32 pages
Published February 25th 2016 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Slightly Annoying Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slightly Annoying Elephant

Jeremy
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
The Slightly Annoying Elephant was a clever and funny book, like all David Walliams books. But, also like all David Walliams books, they're a bit mean-spirited and defeatist. I suspect he sold his soul to the devil, for the ability to write like Roald Dahl. Unfortunately, it's that precise lack of humanity in his writing that will hold him back from ever being a truly great children's author.
Rebecca Brown
This book is about a young boy, Sam, who has an elephant unexpectedly turn up on his doorstep. The elephant is annoying and frustrates Sam with his many difficult traits around the house.

I enjoyed reading ‘The Slightly Annoying Elephant’ and I really love the fun, lively illustrations by Tony Ross. The story is simple and easy to follow with lots of exaggerated text and pictures which children will love.

I think this book would be suitable for children aged 4-7 years old, with children slightly o
Kalilah
After reading this book, I have developed a slight phobia of elephants.
My nephew has taken to referring to me as 'Silly Girl!'
I do my best to remind him that he is in fact a 'SILLY BOY!'
Rebekah
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The colours in this book are really bright and I think that makes it perfectly suited to younger children. The things that the elephant gets up to make the story amusing and would make it really fun to read aloud to a class. The font style changes when the elephant speaks to be big and bold which helps develop the character and bring him to life. A great book that could really engage young children.
Christian West
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Sam fills out an 'Adopt An Elephant' form at the zoo and ends up with an elephant at his home.

A cute book and well illustrated.
Iqra Fiaz
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
A fun book to read with children, brought to live with the bright colours and exaggerated speech of the elephant. Funny voices would really engage children.
Pally Chohan
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The slightly annoying elephant is a fantastic story written by the hilarious David Walliams. Walliams has moved away from the usual style of his novels to a short story which younger readers can enjoy. This is guaranteed to become a classic. The story is about an elephant who comes to stay with Sam, after Sam fills out a form to adopt an elephant at the zoo. As you can guess from the title the elephant is ‘slightly annoying’, in the way that he behaves and how he just assumes that he has control ...more
Matthew
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Walliams' latest book is his first picture book, that is fun and easy to follow, with loads of exaggerated text and lively, colourful pictures by Tony Ross.
Jenna Mills
A slightly annoying book. A bit like Tiger Came to Tea with a twist. Rather nonsensical
CamrynW
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my little borthers
Hannah Beecrofh
The humour of David Walliams shines through in this children’s picture book. He has grasped the excellent writing styles of Roald Dahl bringing through his child-friendly humour into children’s literature. The story teaches valuable lessons to a child of the cause and effect of their actions. It teaches them that actions often have consequences and that you should not ever agree to something without your parents permission. The book brings through lots of grammatical techniques that could be exp ...more
S.S.
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amusing book focussing on a little boy discovering an elephant-shaped visitor on his doorstep. The elephant had been adopted by the little boy at the zoo, and soon brings his elephant herd with him. It certainly pays to read that small print on contracts, I think. (I dread to think what would have happened if Sam had adopted a Komodo Dragon or something! :D ) Good cautionary tale with plenty of superb illustrations!
Den
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, 2017
A new book by David Walliams and this one is all about a boy who finds an elephant unexpectedly on his doorstep ... and he leaves a trail of destruction behind him .... and then there's another knock on the door and even more elephants.

Indy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A story about a boy named Sam and an annoying elephant that began with Sam filling an "Adopt an Elephant" form at the zoo. The elephant is quite rude that it might give children, especially boys, a good laugh. But its manner is definitely not what we want the children to pick up.
Rhyllis Bignell
Beware of the blue elephant knocking on your door, Sam. This boy's signed up for 'Adopt a Pet' and as soon as he opens the door, trouble and mayhem start. Another extremely funny picture book with gorgeous Tony Ross illustrations.
Kashaf khan
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing
Zaira
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly loved this. It has a real good message; before you sign, read the full contract down to the small print. Saves you from a lot of grief.
Olivia Slykhuis
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Ugh I thought this might be funny, but I hated it! I got it because I like the illustrator, Tony Ross, but this was more than slightly annoying. Didn't even finish it.
Desmione
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
A fun story that will make kids laugh for sure. Very colourful illustrations and a very very unpleasant and bad behaved elephant.
Abigail Mason
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A humorous, light hearted book
Jocelyn
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I read this because I'm gifting it to my nephews for Christmas. Quite funny and cute, with an unexpected ending.
Rick
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly book for most ages!

I really liked how the boy didn’t read the little message, it was totally hilarious and most children will enjoy it.
Stephanie Gou
It is a witty story about small letters on contract. However, it should be shared to the children old enough to understand that the it's a joke.

Definately fun for an independent reader.
Kelly
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you adopt an elephant you don’t usually expect it to turn up at your door, do you? Much to Sam’s surprise he finds a slightly annoying elephant on his front door step one morning who is intent on making himself at home. As the elephant is quick to tell him what a ‘Silly Boy’ he is for not knowing the elephant was coming.

David Walliams’ first picture book has a simple plot that has strong similarities to The Tiger who Came to Tea. His use of a wide vocabulary means that it could stretch you
Mehsi
A short review. I think I would rather change this book's title to: The Highly, Super Annoying Elephant and how a Zoo will screw your ass.

Sorry, I had expected something fun, but the book was just annoying. The elephant was acting all high and mighty, like a king. Ruining, breaking, destroying, killing stuff, and not caring one bit about what happened to stuff.
I didn't like how he looked down on the boy and kept calling him a Silly Boy.

The book was just too much, trying to hard to be funny an
Jax Holt
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Julie Grasso
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little boy opens the door to a very precocious elephant, only to find that he has actually adopted him from the zoo. The elephants antics are more than enough to annoy, even the most patient of parents and the little boy does his best to accommodate. My toddler loved this book from the first reading and the illustrations are fantastic. A delightfully quirky read, which is requested over and over again at bedtime. I highly recommend this cautionary tale, although I may forever begin to read the ...more
Sally
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-wee-ones
My 3yo screams with laughter when we read this. Such a great book to read out loud - I like to employ a senile, cantankerous old man voice when I am reading the elephant but there is so much you can do with this one. My 6yo nephew loves it too so it's a picture book that will entertain more than one age group. Highly recommended.
Reesha
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I found it interesting, with british humor that is classical in all of Walilams written stories. The silliness and extremities of the plot was interesting. The illustrations are great as well. I personally found that the book had no morals in it! I think it's a good book to read to a child. But I wouldn't recommend it to one.
Thebruce1314
I picked this up at Costco, and then immediately put it down again after giving it a quick read. The illustrations are interesting, but the story is less so. I am usually a fan of Walliams' books (and comedy, for the record), but this book was a bit boring and predictable.

• Suddenly!
  • The Return of the Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #2)
  • Wordy Birdy
  • Snoring Beauty
  • Home Sweet Home
  • Floaty
  • Monty's Magnificent Mane
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Naughty Mabel
  • Bruce's Big Move
  • Can I Tell You A Secret?
  • The Bossier Baby
  • Monster Needs a Party
  • Mom, Dad, Our Books, and Me
  • I Thought This Was a Bear Book
  • The Best Pet of All
  • Selfish Pigs
  • I Love You Already!
David Walliams is an actor and writer best known for his work with Matt Lucas in the multi-award-winning sketch show Little Britain. His debut children's novel, The Boy in the Dress, was published in 2008 to unanimous critical acclaim and he has since developed a reputation as a natural successor to Roald Dahl.