Start by marking “Monstress #2” as Want to Read:
Monstress #2

Monstress #2

(Monstress (Issues) #2)

Maika fights to cross the wall. Elsewhere, the Warlord makes her move.
Published December 9th 2015 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Monstress #2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monstress #2

Start your review of Monstress #2
Nikoleta Katsiouli
In a alternate weird Asia there is a war going on.
Humans and the Arcanic race are at war.
Arcanic, Beings which seem like human but they are not.....they are animal hybrids. With strange powers.

Our protagonist Maika Halfwolf, finds herself in the middle of all this.
With the story opening with her being sold into slavery with other Arcanic's, we cant expect anything good.
But then she is being transported into a fortress.

And there is where our story begins.
Violence , blood , brutality , emotio
Angelina
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, the ending was a tortute. Don't get me wrong it was a beautiful torture that only made me want to read the next comic of this series.

I still love the protagonist even though my favourite character is the cat. He is very funny and smart.

To quote the poets:

Murder is teribly exhausting

I am in love with this graphic novel

*My thanks to Diamond Book Distributors and Netgalley for the free e-arc*

Divine Anas
Everything just gets more and more interesting in this series!!! This is by far my most favorite comic book right now. The illustrations are without a doubt, still flamboyant and beautiful as ever. ART DECO COULD NEVER BE PORTRAYED SO BEAUTIFULLY IN GRAPHIC NOVELS LIKE THIS ONE. Plus, there's a lot of new characters; pretty bad-ass villains and hands down for such a strong feminine cast. SRSLY. It's like one of the best things in this one! I'll certainly read the next issue sooner.
Kaitlin
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
I can't rate this one quite as high as the first because it's a much more bite-sized chunk of story but if this was a collected part of a volume I am certain it would hold up. What I did love about this issue is that we once more see the expansive nature of this world and the way that there is always an awful lot more going on than first meets the eye. So far we know that humans are against the Arcanic and that a wall divides the two, there have been wars and tragedy for both sides, and there's ...more
Cathy
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark and grim story about survival, war, racial conflict, hate and the monsters inside of us (paraphrased from Marjorie Liu's epilogue).

According to the blurb the setting is an alternate Asia. There are hints--dress, hair styles, a two-tailed cat, but it mostly struck me as a fantasy setting.

A war has been fought between the Human Federation and Arcanics. In this scenario the humans seem to be the bad guys and the Arcanians the alien/monstrous/demonic underdogs.

Issue 2: The aftermath of Maika
Efflorescence
Thanks to Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was short. Like really freaking short. Of course, I saw it has only 32 pages, but that wasn't even true, because the last few pages consisted of letters from fans of the first issue. It was still fun to read them. I always love to see some support for the authors. I think this can really inspire them to keep going.

And it was not like nothing happened. Do you know these boring television
Mitticus
3.5

During the war you thought surviving would be enough.
But surviving is the easy part

--rtc--
Ronyell
Monstress

I would like to thank NetGalley and Image Comics for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Introduction:

After reading the first issue of Marjorie Liu’s breakthrough comic book, “Monstress,” I was clambering for more of this series and I finally got the chance to read the second issue of this series and man was I really blown away by this second issue!

What is this story about?

In this issue, Maika had just escaped from the witches’ stronghold and even thou
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Ok, so the Arcanics are not aliens, and I'm still not sure what they are or how they came to be.

This was an extremely short read. I still don't understand much. It seems Maiko is somehow possessed?...

I just love the drawings. They are so beautiful.

description
Mei
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

See my reviews for the whole series (until part 6): https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Ezra
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I know almost nothing about myself. I don't know who I am.
Albert
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review covers Monstress #1-#6

Monstress #1 by Marjorie Liu is what a good comic should be. Ambitious, riveting; a collusion of art and storytelling that melds so seamlessly that you would believe it to be the work of a single individual and not a team. Add to that, the simple truth that Marjorie M. Liu is a comic book writing Goddess whose past works on Wolverine, X-Men and NYX cement her resume. With Monstress she raises the bar where few comic book stories will dare to follow.

Monstress is
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"During the war, I thought surviving would be enough. But surviving is the easy part."

The second issue of Monstress gets into some more backstory regarding the civil war that is raging, including information regarding what is called the Zamora Massacre.

Marjorie Liu masterfully lays out the storyline of Maika, the protagonist, with mystery and strength. We learn that Maika doesn't really know much of her past, so we will all be discovering it alongside her, and it is part of Maika's journey
Megalion
"During the war I thought surviving would be enough. But surviving is the easy part."

"...the casual bigotry of fools..."

Oh my...
We could have guessed that Maika was no saint but this issue leaves no doubt to that now.

The artwork remains sublime. The story is much shorter and doesn't have a lot of action.

Thank you to the publisher for the free copy of this comic in exchange for my honest review.

On to #3!

Fenriz Angelo
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The worldbuilding is amazing and the character design is so cool, i like how different all these women and their attire are, some might have the typical dress with the cleavage or it might cover their body completely, etc. also you can see all of them have different purposes that adds intrigue to the story.

Too bad it wasn't as long as the first issue, nevertheless a good one too.
Vivien
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For the review of Issues 1-6, check out my blog Pages of Wonderland

Short filler. Nothing much happened. Again, the art is better than the writing. This installment started off pretty well, but got wordy and boring at the end.
Logan Mendivil
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art work continues to be amazing as it was in the last issue. Monstress #1 honestly had left me a little bit confused through the story but I feel it flowing a little better this time around. The story has me interested with what happens next especially now that the protagonist seems to have a deeper back story and internal battle, figuratively and literally, going on. I will be definitely keep reading on.
Meg
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new and fantastic graphic novel series! The art and myths in this series are both stunning and addicting. I will definitely be continuing on with this series and devouring all that the stories and gorgeous art from each and everyone of Marjorie M. Liu's Monstress volumes.
Hilda
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love Cats
“During the war I thought surviving would be enough. But surviving is the easy part.”

I'm so addicted. I can't wait for the next one and Littlen Fox has a name, Kippa. What an epic adventure and its full of gory deaths and so much blood and witchcraft. It's really good.
I read this immediately after the first volume. Again the artwork is amazing. I wish we had been given more of the story. Now to wait for my sister to get volume 3. :) A family that reads together stays together.
Artemis Hobbs
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Inquisitrixes are among the coolest villains in any comic I have seen. Smooth, sassy and beyond dangerous. Their nonchalant competence would be enough to frighten any male chauvinist with low self esteem. They're kinda like a bunch of Darth Vaders. Not enough women characters have costumes this badass. More of this please!

That said-
What i remember most about this issue is the corpse of that one kid. Reminded me of how Iris ate people in Gamera 3. 😳...shit's terrifying.
Serena W. Sorrell
Not as impactful as episode 1 and a bit too exposition heavy, which seldom works well in comic format.

I think this would work better as a novel, or the writer chose the wrong starting point. We have no background or explanation in the action and dialogue, and instead are given blocks of exposition text.

Never a good choice.
Paul
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maintaining my thumbs up!

There's so much going on here, and the book doesn't treat the reader like a child, which is great, but also a lofty build up that my cynical heart tells me will fail at connecting together (again, having a big, fluffy tail would do me good). I'll keep going for sure.
Holly
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh god, the ending to this issue! I can't wait for more!
Rana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maika is still struggling. She went searching for answers but all she got was more questions. The cat is accompanying her now and he knows a lot, indeed.
Gabz
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
The plot thickens!
Isabel
Please, give me more!!
Mayar El Mahdy
I love that this is listed under "intelligent cats". So accurate.
Mousmi
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5 Stars.
Andy Hickman
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2
The story so far .. In the aftermath of a devastating war, tensions between humans and hybrid Arcanics are higher than ever.

“And I have a great many questions for YOU.”
….
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Umbrella Academy #4
  • Dr. Terminal's Answer (The Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite #3)
  • The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite #5
  • Something is Killing the Children #1
  • Bitter Root, Vol. 1: Family Business
  • Saga #25
  • Animosity #1
  • SPY×FAMILY 2 (Spy x Family, #2)
  • Finale (The Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite #6)
  • Immortal Hulk #6
  • The Rise Of Ultraman (2020-) #1 (of 5)
  • We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals (The Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite #2)
  • The Umbrella Academy: Dallas #1
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black

Monstress (Issues) (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Monstress #1