Start by marking “Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral” as Want to Read:
Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral

Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral

(Jem and the Holograms #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  827 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Jerrica and her sisters face their biggest threat yet—success! Meanwhile, the Misfits aren't taking these upstarts lying down... as they find themselves under new management. Plus, go behind the scenes and see THE HOLOGRAMS and THE MISFITS from a whole new perspective... that of music columnist Rio Pacheco!

Written by Kelly Thompson with art by Emma Vieceli, Corin Howell an
Published May 3rd 2016 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2

really liked it 4.00  ·

Maddie
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love everyone in this series. EVERYONE.
Sesana
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, re-read
Read as single issues. I love this series. It's just so bright and fun! It's still everything I could have hoped for in a new Jem comic.

Re-read 9/21/2016
Kyle
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This series continues to be a chipper, brighter alternative to current, mainstream publications. What it lacks in depth and development, it makes up for in positivity and inclusiveness.

Just like in the 80's, I'm finding myself more drawn to the plight of the Misfits than the Holograms; however I find that the dynamic between the Holograms is more ripe with humour, especially with Kimber and Aja.

The biggest stumble in this volume was with the artwork in issue 10, which seemed completely off-model
Ana
The first issue of this volume was a little random, but it was smooth sailing after that.
Katja
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
The second collected edition is a bit of a mish-mash, the main story doesn't advance that much but it's still a lot fun (and builds up to things that look interesting), and the Christmas story was very cute! The annual material was okay in places but it was my least favourite part.
This comic series is GREAT in general though! ♥

And ohmigosh I love Kimber! (>3<)
E. Ardell
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
****SPOILERS!!!****

I love this comic series so much. My inner child is singing, but only Misfits lyrics because Jem songs still kinda stink.

So many characters I remember from the cartoon are stepping into this new plot. We've got Eric now, and Techrat, and I love the new take on Eric. He didn't discover the Misfits, he was brought in to help rein them in. I love how they get to business with him basically saying, You know, you signed a terrible contract. This is what you get for signing before
Morgan
I read this in the individual issues + Outrageous Annual + Holiday Special, and the only issue I didn't give 5 stars to was #10 Jem and the Holograms (2015-) #10.

The artwork in #10 didn't have the same feeling to it as the others. Even though the artists have varied in other issues you can still see the familiar aspects to each character and they still look like themselves. Like Aja and Rio's Asian features are gone, as one example. The writing doesn't have the same feel to it either and comes
Kim
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read. I especially enjoyed the muppet babies and karate kid references. I love that there are fuller figure characters and gay characters. I love the colors and illustrations. There is one issue where the art is really bad but thank goodness the art goes back to normal in the following issue.
Keith
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goddamit, this series is so ridiculous and so good. Patchy art and a meaningless 'what-if' issue, but the rest hits ALL MY FEELS. Better storylines than the first volume, especially now that Thompson is moving away from simply adapting old episodes (okay, unless she still is, bc honestly past the first few eps I wouldn't know. I try to act like I'm cool, but I'm not that cool).
Michelle Cristiani
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
LOVE this series. This is MY Jem.

The art is fantastic. So varied, so inspired, and a great read for that alone. The baby dream is super.

I take a star off because it wasn't flawless to me - the story sometimes jumped around and was hard for me - but I just love what the creaters are doing for these worthy characters.
Becca
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am devouring these and in love with them. Enough of the original to keep Jem fans happy bit then it's a new take with a host of new selling points like diverse/Plus size/LGBTQ characters who are ace. So much fun too. In love with it all.
Jen
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
OK. . . . I really liked this. <3

The art can be a little overwhelming at times, so many things going on at once and so many colors being thrown out everywhere, but the characters are interesting and this is honestly less about Jem and more about the other characters.
Abigail
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked vol 1 of Jem better, but vol 2 was still a lot of fun. The bonus comic at the beginning with the Holograms each dreaming in different film universes was cute. The main story arc was very engaging. I wasn't a big fan of the last issue, mainly because it felt out of place tone-wise. The previous issue ends with something kind of serious, and then the next issue is "YAY CHRISTMAS." Kind of strange.

This volume did introduce Eric and Techrat, which was fun. I liked their designs, and their sc
Anne
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the first volume better but you bet your buns I’m going to read the third anyway! Not much happened in this volume but there’s some good stuff set up for next time.
Deera
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqa
This was even better than volume one. I can't decide which characters is my favorite. They are so lovable and adorable and funny.
Rachael Quinn
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finally! I finally got to read it. And, yes, I loved it, though maybe not quite as much as the first trade. It still manages to be a powerhouse of strong women, great body image, and style that I want to steal, shallow as that sounds.

I'll do my best to review without giving too much away.

Now that Jem and the Holograms have gained some fame, Jerrica is stuck with all of the management work while the rest of her band mates get to have lives. Jerrica pours over her e-mails for most of this book (At
Rachel Fellows
I bought this volume a month or so ago but just got around to reading it because I was a little disappointed to see that Sophie Campbell didn't draw it! I love her art style. But the writing is still on point and there is still a lot to love about the artwork in this book. Story-wise, I love the introduction of Eric Raymond and Techrat (especially Techrat) and I'm looking forward to seeing the character development of Pizzazz, which this book started to really touch upon. I'm also thrilled and a ...more
Tamara
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I initially started reading Jem, the draw for me was nostalgia and the super appealing artwork of Sophie Campbell. This second TPB of the series is sorely missing Campbell's work. I was disappointed, not that I don't like the artists that have taken over, I just don't find the art as appealing as it was in Showtime. That being said, thank God Kelly Thompson is still at the writing helm on this series, because while in this volume I find the art lacking, the writing is top notch. A good stor ...more
MerryMeerkat
4 stars
Buy it

First there was some dreams of three of the girls. Jerrica’s was a bit predictable but otherwise good. Aja,s was fun and Shana’s was a spoof of starwars which was funny. Finally Kimber’s dream was a spoof of the 80s Muppet Babies tv show. It was sweet but a bit too much so. The rest of the volume continues with the Misfits out to get Jem and the holograms. They are working hard to get back at them. In story 3 or 4 Jem and the Holograms have a party and the misfits are undercover to
Amy
Dec 01, 2016 added it
Shelves: comix, 2016
I really like this series! I love it aesthetically - the colors, the clothes, the hairstyles. I also appreciated the queer relationship that just exists; it's not an "issue." I think the main reason I like this series so much is that it features strong female lead characters. In fact, most of the characters are young women - and they're all badasses. I really liked the new Batgirl comics for the same reason. I can't overstate how important it is to me as a comics reader to see characters that re ...more
Maija
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The whole suffered a bit from having so many different guest artists and "filler stories" from the Jem annual. While they were cute, they made the volume a bit all over the place. I'm still into the plot, which did progress a lot, the character interactions continue to be great, and I found some of the artists quite enjoyable. Very much looking forward to Sophie Campbell being back on the job in the next volume, though!
Karin
This volume was weaker than the last, but, from what I've seen of the next arc, leads into some amazingly cool sci-fi stuff. It has a little bit of middle-book-syndrome where too many plot threads are going at once and none of them resolve. It's point B rest-stop on the way to point C. But, the moment when (view spoiler) is broken and her eyes go black gave me shivers. I have the singles for the next arc and I'll probably read them right now.
Ma'Belle
I was really saddened by how quickly this comic became repetitive and boring. The first volume was great, even without having grown up with the cartoon show. This one was pretty and I love seeing all the cute flirty scenes featuring such an array of diverse queer femmes, but the script-writing was really bad.
Nick Sweet
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent outing from the Jem and the Holograms comic. I am seriously surprised this has yet to be optioned off as a TV Series, cartoon or live action. THIS is what the movie should have been based on. The characters are compelling, the storylines good. I cannot wait for the next volume, which I assume will cover the Dark Jem storyline.
Ellie Reardon
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these Jem graphic novels so much! The bright colors, the fashions, the stories, the characters, I love it all! Whenever I read another issue, I immediately want to get lost in their world and live there forever. Such an adorable and awesome read. I can't wait for the next one!
Amanda
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
At first I didn't love it as much as Volume 1, mainly because of the boring, contrived dream sequences at the beginning, but it turned it around and managed to keep up the fun pop culture references and maintain the sweet, funny, heartwarming vibe of the first one.
Bodea
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume was a little slow, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I appreciated the insight on the Misfits and how they work as a team despite all of the attitude and snark. Basically, I continue to weep at the perfection.
Rye (Riley)
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love all of the characters in Jem & the holograms especially Pizzazz, Kimber, and Stormer. The colours and outfits for each of the girls is beautiful I die everytime. It's just a very cute series in general
Lady Entropy
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
While they lost the amazing Sophie in the art, I still quite liked this series. It tries very hard to be more than just "about music and glamour" and more about girls and people, and for that, I'll always keep reading it.
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't love this as much as the first volume, but it was still good and nostalgic. The holiday special was really cute.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
  • Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 10: Parents' Day
  • The Answer (Steven Universe)
  • Archie: The Married Life Book 4
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • Bee and Puppycat Vol. 3
  • My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 1
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detest ...more

Jem and the Holograms (6 books)
  • Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime (Jem and the Holograms #1)
  • Jem and the Holograms, Volume 3: Dark Jem