Start by marking “Djsturbia” as Want to Read:
Djsturbia

Djsturbia

DJSturbia is home to monsters.

All kinds of monsters, from skyscraper-sized Godzilla (twice!) to the microscopic space germ known as the Andromeda Strain.

Monsters human and inhuman, from fictional psycho killers to the real-life terrorists of 9/11.

Lovecraftian horrors. Extraterrestrial insects. Giant serpents. Gargoyles and ghosts. Gunfighters and assassins. The battlefield
Published March 31st 2016 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Djsturbia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Djsturbia

Start your review of Djsturbia
Chris
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You might not be familiar with the works of David J. Schow, though he’s had a long and varied career: there’s his work in the horror film industry, his long-running “Raving & Drooling” column in Fangoria, and his fiction, which won both the Bram Stoker Award and World Fantasy Award in 1987. That was around the time he helped define the splatterpunk movement—hell, he coined the name for it after all. And while he’s often branded as a horror writer, he’s moved on to writing a number of novels ...more
Waffles
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection a lot. It has been too long since I've read him. The stories were page-turners. In other words, they were the usual excellent stories that he writes. I wasn't into the non-fiction articles so much. If you are new to David J. Schow, try his first collection Seeing Red first.

TL;DR
Read this!
Scott
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
David J. Schow is a writer that I've always heard praised to the heavens but hadn't actually read until now. There is a tendency to be let down when you finally read that author (or see that movie, hear that album) that has been built up so much. Mr. Schow far exceeds my expectations and I am now excited to dive in and explore his other works.

DJSturbia is a collection that alternates between short stories and non-fiction articles, varying from personal anecdotes, film and book reviews, and
Kshitij
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A very heartfelt thanks to netgalley and Subterranean Press for providing me a copy for reading and reviewing.
the copy i received in my kindle is confusing as I can't figure out where the book begins and the interview ends. These two are intertwined. Though I like the language.

Here is a sample ;

"The first time I ever kissed a girl was delirious, like smoking crack. Time and space seemed to plunge and morph . The very air seemed alive. Like everybody else I spent the rest of my life trying to
Riju Ganguly
Nightmares should be universal. But they aren’t. Hollywood, which takes the sole responsibility of scaring the rest of the world into a pleasing terror, imposes the American nightmares onto all of us. A skilled wordsmith engaged in shaping those nightmares professionally, would indeed know how to terrify us, i.e. un-American lesser mortals spread across this globe.
This book is a neat example of such craft being displayed as stories. The author keeps disturbing us with the American fears -
Victoria
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this collection very much, both the short stories as well as the essays. Mr. Schow is an excellent writer, and I got many laughs from his words, perhaps because he views the world and its inhabitants in the same skewed and weird way as I do. Anyone who has lived or worked in Los Angeles will reap rewards from DJSturbia.
Dean
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice hodgepodge of short stories and anthology introductions, articles and other miscellanea from author David J. Schow. If you like me are a fan this is worth the time to find.
Josef Hernandez
The stories are very good, the essays are mixed

For a full review, please go to http://www.examiner.com/review/djstur... or http://areviewerdarkly.blogspot.com/ and follow me on Twitter @josenher
Carrie
Jul 04, 2016
Rhonda Baughman
Oct 25, 2019
Annie Watkins
rated it did not like it
May 08, 2017

• We Sold Our Souls
  • The Historian
  • Infidel
  • Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil
  • Winterlong (Winterlong, #1)
  • Thunderbird (Miriam Black, #4)
  • Glimmering
David J. Schow is an American author of horror novels, short stories, and screenplays, associated with the "splatterpunk" movement of the late '80s and early '90s. Most recently he has moved into the crime genre.
“If one is inflexible and devoted to an illusion of normalcy - stability, permanence, reality - then the break is always harsher. The more rules there are to violate, the more violations there will be, because what we call reality is an interpretative construct of the human mind; a reality we re-make every day to deny the howling nothingness of existence and the meaningless tragedy of life.” 0 likes