Start by marking “A Bride of the Plains” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Bride of the Plains

Emmuska Orczy

A Bride of the Plains

This collection of literature attempts to compile many classics that have stood the test of time and offer them at a reduced, affordable price in an attractive volume so that everyone can enjoy them.
Published December 2nd 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about A Bride of the Plains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bride of the Plains

Start your review of A Bride of the Plains
Jessica
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept thinking the author was Willa Cather so I wasn't necessarily expecting a good outcome. ...more
Nora
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-1915
As you may know, I’m a big Baroness Orczy fan. For my round up of 1915, I have to give her credit for something very special: although basically the entire world is embroiled in war, she is the ONLY author to address this. She was the ONLY one to write about war, and in Hungary in the Carpathian basin, more or less where all the trouble began. (Okay, I guess there’s also Mariano Azuela writing about the Mexican revolution. But still, props to the Baroness!) I know the production schedule for pub ...more
wanderer
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Bride of the Plains- is more specifically, a bride of the Great Hungarian Plain, and a little village close to Hungary's present-day border with Romania.

The bride part- well, I can’t recall a wimpier, more irritating heroine. I honestly didn’t care what happened to Elsa, except that I did hope Andor, the hero, came out smiling. Andor loved Elsa, so this meant I had to root for the bride as well.

The first part of the book bogs down in description- beautiful descriptions that I enjoyed, but you
Surreysmum
Read in an e-version. This is Baroness Orczy's nod to her own land of birth, Hungary, but it is not a tale of the aristocrats from whom she sprang, but a tale of the peasants, and it is just as patronizing and sentimental as you might expect.

Sigh. Orczy writes such insipid female characters. Even Marguerite, who is meant to be a proper foil and match for the intrepid Sir Percy Blakeney, is endlessly a victim and in peril. But Elsa, the Bride of the title, is truly a victim in every possible way
Caroline
A Bride of the Plains by Emmuska Orczy is the story of Elsa, a Hungarian peasant around the turn of the century. Her true love is presumed dead, and she has been persuaded to marry a wealthy, loutish, churlish neighbor. Then she discovers that her beloved Andor is not really dead after all. Add in a flirtatious neighbor girl (Klara) and her jealous fiancée and you have all the makings of an old-fashioned romance.

And it is old-fashioned, in its ethics and its prejudices. What else can you call it
Tina
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was glad this wasn't the first of Orczy's books I'd read, as I'm not sure I'd have read any others after it! The descriptions of Hungary are beautiful, but they go on... and on... and on. I really did have to force myself more than once to plough through it. I didn't particularly like any of the characters, other than Klara, and overall, I found the book rather plodding and unsatisfactory. ...more
Sonal Panse
Beautiful descriptions, but the hero, Andor, and the heroine, Elsa, were just not likable. All my sympathies with the villain, Béla, and the villainess, Klara.
Isabel
Jul 24, 2012
Jun 05, 2012
Augusta Kennedy
Apr 05, 2017
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2012

• Not Without My Daughter
  • Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Robin
  • American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
  • Mayada, Daughter of Iraq: One Woman's Survival Under Saddam Hussein
  • On the Irrawaddy: A Story of the First Burmese War
Full name: Emma ("Emmuska") Magdolna Rozália Mária Jozefa Borbála Orczy de Orczi was a Hungarian-British novelist, best remembered as the author of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (1905). Baroness Orczy's sequels to the novel were less successful. She was also an artist, and her works were exhibited at the Royal Academy, London. Her first venture into fiction was with crime stories. Among her most popular c ...more

Related Articles

Thirty-four years after the publication of her dystopian classic, The Handmaid's Tale, Atwood returns to continue the story of Offred. We talked...
“From the railway station far away the sharp clang of a bell...In half an hour the train starts, and there is so much still to say that has been left unsaid...The mothers, fearful and fussy, look for their sons in among the crowd like hens in search of their chicks; their wizened faces are hard and wrinkled like winter apples, they carry huge baskets on their arms, over-filled with the last delicacies which their fond, toil-worn hands will prepare for the beloved son for the next three years:--a piece of smoked bacon, a loaf of rye bread, a cake of maize-flour.

The gypsies have struck up a melancholy Magyar folksong: the crowd breaks up in isolated groups, mothers and father with their sons whisper in the dark corners of the bran. The father who did his service thirty years ago gives sundry good advice—no rebellion, quiet obedience, no use complaining or grumbling, the three years are quickly over. The mother begs her darling not to give way to drink, and not to get entangled with one of the hussies in the towns; women and wine, the two besetting temptations that assail the Magyar peasant—let the darling boy resist both for his sorrowing mother’s sake.”
3 likes
“…in joy he will invariably dance; when he is in love he will dance, for the czardas helps him to explain to the girl he loves exactly what he feels for her. And she understands. One czardas will reveal to a Hungarian village maid the state of her lover’s heart far more clearly than do all the whisperings behind hedges in more civilized lands.” 1 likes