Start by marking “Perilous Judgment” as Want to Read:
Perilous Judgment

Perilous Judgment

Federal judge Edward Lamport is no stranger to controversy and danger. Nine months into his tenure, he’s received two death threats and is under the protection of US Marshals. But when he receives a plea for help from a woman with whom he had a brief romance twenty-five years earlier, he must face a peril of a different sort, one that involves his long-lost son, Carlos.

Whi
Published May 17th 2016 by Waterfall Press (first published May 2016)

Start your review of Perilous Judgment
Joseph Courtemanche
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reviewer copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

What separates Christian fiction from secular fiction is often hard to ignore. In many cases, there’s an overload of wholesomeness and goodie-two-shoes “here’s my favorite Scripture” writing. Dennis Ricci avoids that like the plague, but hews to the guidelines of not using excessive violence, sexual imagery, or foul language.

Because of that, Perilous Judgment is a safe read for anyone with an aversion to r
Book Haunt
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perilous Judgment is a legal thriller that takes us to the forefront of the ongoing issue of immigration.

Edward Lamport is a man of great conviction and as a federal judge he exercises those convictions in his rulings. His most current case is of one of great controversy. Voters in his home state of California have voted to pass Proposition 68 concerning illegal immigration and now Edward has to rule on whether the proposition is constitutional. With his fellow judges and political contacts pres
Don Brobst
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The reason this book is going to be a New York Times bestseller is not because it is an award-winning novel, which it is, but because the talent of Dennis Ricci places you in the middle of the action without allowing the (unwanted) luxury of determining the conclusion prior to the final scene. If you want to know the ending from the start, this is not the book for you.

This novel is not for those who already know what will happen in the next scene, or those who desire to know will happen in the n
Cindy W
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perilous Judgment, by Dennis Ricci, is picture of a man relentless in his drive to do the right thing. A US District Judge with high ideals, swallowed up in a corrupt system and facing impossible circumstances, Edward Lamport fights for true justice through a dark cloud of opposition. In the face of hopelessness, his love for his family drives him far beyond his own strength.

In this timely political thriller, Mr. Ricci puts a face, and a heart, to the immigration debate. One can no longer look
Marsha
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Engaging read with well developed, complex characters. Through those characters, Mr. Ricci also highlights the tangled conflict between compassion, morality, legality, and practicality that infiltrate the immigration debate. Seeing the characters struggle with this made me think more about my own opinions on the subject. Certainly thought provoking.

If you like legal thrillers that bring current events to life, check this one out. It's fast paced and entertaining - really enjoyed it.

Richard Burke
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because I once shared a hotel room with Dennis at a writer's conference, and I wanted to see how well he can write. The plot grabbed me by the neck and drew me deep into the difficult, painful and perilous choices faced by the protagonist and many of the other characters. To make me care about a dozen good, neutral and bad guys is something I haven't experienced in many novels. This deserves the genre "Thriller." Its settings are evocative. The pace starts fast and accelerates ...more
Lghiggins
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perilous Judgment is the first book in Dennis Ricci’s Real Justice Thriller Series. I don’t know what Mr. Ricci’s plans for future books in this series are. I can envision his successfully either creating more tales revolving around his main character, Judge Edward Lamport, or departing from the characters in his first book to write more thrillers continuing to focus on the theme of real justice. Is justice achieved only through the law or can individuals define it as something found in a higher ...more
Carmen
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perilous Judgment is a story ripped from today's headlines, rife with action and real world politics. Proposition Sixty-Eight is an immigration law, passed by a majority vote of the people of the State of California, and poses a dilemma for Federal Judge Edward Lamport who must rule on its constitutionality. Both his career and his personal life are at risk and in conflict with the law. Will Judge Lamport be ruled by the Constitution or by his conflicted conscience? A lot of characters, in real ...more
Gary S. Cowles
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first novel

I look forward to more stories from Dennis Ricci. This story was well crafted and one didn't need to read more than a few chapters before becoming immersed in the plot. Ricci does a wonderful job of tying a lot of angles and characters into a neat package as the book concludes. I am also very pleased to read a thriller that includes faith issues and doesn't use foul language. Listen up writers: YOU DON'T NEED TO PUT STREET LANGUAGE INTO YOUR STORIES TO WRITE A WINNER!
Rachelle DeNecochea
At the end I could not put this book down! Dennis Ricci did a fabulous job (and this coming from a YA urban fantasy enthusiast). I highly recommend Perilous Judgement to thriller lovers, especially those who crave a faith element. The father's love will grab your heart. And the lengths you might go for family will haunt your conscience. Well done!
PattyP
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an action packed thriller with authentic characters who make real life choices. Loved it because it does not deliver fantastical results but gets down into what really happens when you make what you think is a good decision but it goes wrong. I highly recommend this well written book. Expect to be up late finishing it!
Pamela Trawick
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a well-woven plot about illegal immigration, money laundering, and drug trafficking. Ricci blends in self and family forgiveness. Twists, twists, twists.

Treat yourself to this intense read.

I was given a free copy of this book for an unbiased review.
Phyllis Rile
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every reader having an interest in Justice should read this book.

Reading this book points out that today's world needs very special people. Always look for these people and follow them with your aid.
Stacy M. Patton
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense-mystery
A fast paced legal thriller that will keep you reading until you finish the book! I found this book on kindle unlimited and decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did! This book is very well researched and very well written. Dennis Ricci is a very talented author!
Suzanne Nordhaus
Riveting

Wow, this storyline is so timely. Kept me spellbound. When it is described as a thriller, that is certainly correct. The characters are compelling and well developed. Will have to find more by this author.
Annette
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great thriller with good plot and exciting end.
Helen Pickering
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perilous judgement

What a great story of courage and second chances enjoyed very much greed can cause so much heartache forgiveness is also a heavy load to carry
Marcia
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This is the first book I have read by this author. While it is a Christian book, but the plot keeps moving and it doesn’t get “preachy”. I look forward to the next one.
Patricia
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Rating somewhere between 2.5 and 3.

Sometimes, when I struggle to really connect with an audio book (which this was for me), I wonder whether I would have enjoyed the story more and kept the characters and details straighter in my mind if I had read the book instead of listening to the book. That was the case here.

I liked the judge, Carlos, and Carlos' mother adequately enough to persist in reading and I felt the most connection with them. I very much disliked Jacqui--she came across to me as a
Mary Beth
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Federal judge Edward Lamport is no stranger to controversy and danger. Nine months into his tenure, he’s received two death threats and is under the protection of US Marshals. I read half of this book, I guess not my genre.
Marsha
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. It was well-written but the content was a bit over my head. By that I mean, it included a lot of US politics and as a non-US person it didn't mean much to me. Even so, it was a good story and overall I would give it 4.5 stars. I will listen to/read more of this author's work.
Carol Martin
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking plot line on many levels....

Multi-level story of a federal judge caught in a personal crisis, a professional crisis, a potential national/international crisis and a moral crisis all woven into one plot. Well written, thought provoking.
Nancy Hawblitzel
Excellent

The book grabs hold on you swiftly and never lets go. You can't help but identify with the main characters and cone to love their integrity.
Sharon Schafer
I wanted to like this book but I just couldn't get into it. For the first time in a very long time I bailed on a book and didn't finish.
Linda
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent plot, although I think the conspiracies were a bit over the top. I would definitely read more by Ricci.
Rita Dempski
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Enjoyed this book..well written. Would have considered a different ending if I wrote this book....I guess it might be a females point of view.
Patricia Mccammon
Received this as a gift. First time for this author. A complicated story dealing with the drug cartels, the judicial department and the corruption among government officials.
Joyce
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting thriller involving a judge in LA, a son he didn't know about, his old girlfriend, and much corruption and drug cartels.
Vianca
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Excellent book of writing advice. I love Writer’s style. Highly recommend for other.
John V. Cooper
Wife enjoyed
Chapter 42 1 2 Aug 19, 2016 01:52AM

• Deadly Proof (Atlanta Justice, #1)
  • The Silver Suitcase
  • Final Witness
  • Stratagem
  • Dead on Arrival (Lantern Beach P.D. #4)
  • Threads of Suspicion (Evie Blackwell Cold Case, #2)
  • Death in the Mind's Eye
  • Imperfect Justice (Hidden Justice #2)
  • Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)
  • Rising Tide (Lantern Beach Blackout #4)
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • Edge of Peril (Fog Lake Mysteries #1)
  • L.A. Sniper (A Kane Novel)
  • Love's Prayer (First Street Church Romances #1)
  • Mind Games (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #1)
  • Tides of Deception (Lantern Beach Romantic Suspense #1)
  • Deserted (Agent Hank Rawlings, #6)
  • First Wave (Northwest Counter-Terrorism Taskforce #1)
Before penning fiction, Dennis Ricci worked as a freelance marketing strategist, copywriter, and instructional designer. He also mentors aspiring writers, conducts writing workshops, and advises marketing professionals on strategy and content.

Ricci lives in Thousand Oaks, California, with his wife, where they serve their community through a Healing Rooms ministry dedicated to praying for the sick.