Start by marking “The Girl With No Name (The Girl With No Name #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl With No Name (The Girl With No Name #1)

The Girl With No Name

(The Girl With No Name #1)

A heart-wrenching story from the bestselling author of The Throwaway Children.

Thirteen-year-old Lisa has escaped from Nazi Germany on the Kindertransport. She arrives in London unable to speak a word of English, her few belongings crammed into a small suitcase. Among them is one precious photograph of the family she has left behind.

Lonely and homesick, Lisa is adopted by

Published March 1st 2016 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Girl With No Name, please sign up.
Jan E. Keep reading to find out what happens to Harry. Read the sequel to this one, called The Married Girls. It is so good!!!
Jan E. Yes it is as good! I love Diney Costeloe's books. Read the sequel to The Girl with No Name which is called "The Married Girls". It is a wonderful…moreYes it is as good! I love Diney Costeloe's books. Read the sequel to The Girl with No Name which is called "The Married Girls". It is a wonderful read!(less)

Start your review of The Girl With No Name (The Girl With No Name #1)
Sara
Apr 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really struggled with this book. It had all the makings of a great war story and yet it fell completely flat for me. It is not often that I give up on a book - I usually persevere in the hope that something will click and it will be worth it. That was definitely not the case with this book. Unfortunately the writing was stilted and contained many editing errors that should have been picked up (although this may only be on the Kindle version). The authors attempt at writing dialogue in a London ...more
Nikki Wiz
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
A story with so much potential but the way it was written let it down. The characters weren't explored deeply enough and the trauma from life experiences was washed over. It was rather like reading something written for a teenager.
I didn't give up on it but there were times that it was written so simply I became frustrated with the lack of character dimension. Insight into the terrors of the London Bombings was good and was captured well but I would have preferred the author to scratch a little
Julia
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Girl With No Name by Diney Costeloe is a historical fiction and set during World War II. It has action both in Germany and England. It is an epic read and one that tugs at the reader's heart.
Diney Costeloe has perfectly captured the traumatic atmosphere of the war years both in London and the countryside. The resolve of the British spirit could not be broken by Hitler. "Offices, factories, churches, homes, all targeted to instil fear and misery, to destroy the morale of the Londoners." The
Bev Walkling

This book tells the story of Lisa Becker, a young German non-practicing Jewish girl age 13 transported to England to avoid the reach of the Nazi's and their "final solution". From the early pages of the story my interest was fully captured and I didn't want to stop reading. On arrival in England, Lisa is placed with a couple who speak no German and really can't communicate with her. How she learns to speak English and develops a close relationship with them makes for an excellent story.
Scott
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I almost gave up on this several times, but was too stubborn not to finish it. One dimensional characters, poorly written (felt as if it was intended for 10 year olds) and don't get me started on the amount of repetition and over explanation. Every scene of the story is spoon-fed to the reader. Despite the over explanation the characters are seriously under developed and not described in any detail. I really wanted to like it as it was a great premise for a story. To me it felt as if the author ...more
Joy H.
Added 2/4/17. (Published March 1st 2016)
(Read mostly during Jan. & Feb. 2017)
On 12/29/16, I bought this Kindle edition for 99 cents via BookBub and Amazon. It has turned out to be well worth it. It kept me engaged through-out. As I got into it, I kept going back to it more and more, preferring it over the other books I was reading at the same time.

The characters are well-fleshed out and very likable. The style of writing is straight-forward and very readable. The plot has enough forward
Mavis Frasure
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AWE....SENSATIONAL READ!

This is a fascinating read about a young German-Jewish girl that is sent to England alone, by her mother. Her father, a doctor, was detained by the Gestapo. Her mother, realizing that their future looked bleak, due to the fact that her husband's mother was Jewish and her son was blind, decided to send Lisa to England, in the hope the child might survive WWII.

This story keeps you on the edge of your seat. The author has the amazing talent to take you on the journey of
Brenda
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a historical fiction fan, so when I happened across this title it sounded like I would really enjoy it. I did enjoy the first part of the book and the last 1/4 of the book. The middle of the story fell flat. I read 2 other books while trying to finish this book. I almost gave up, but kept plugging away at it. I am giving this book 3.5 stars, because in the end I really did enjoy it. There were very colorful details on the war aspects of the story, like Blackout shades, bomb shelters, all ...more
Laura Pirtle
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kinda surprised this book got rated so high by others. It was interesting enough but I found the writing overdone and the plot fairly predictable. Yes there were times I skipped through the immense detail to get to the gist of the page, and it was very sweet most of the time...like a person who is too nice to be real. Everything so perfectly fell into place. When we chose this for our book club we all thought the plot sounded interesting...it could have been, but it simply fell.
Becky
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this book, but sadly, I have been disappointed. It had popped up on my Kindle as a recommended book based on other books I have purchased. Initially, I was hesitant to purchase this book. I love historical fiction, but I'm always nervous to purchase/read a book from an author that I have not heard of before or recommended by family/friends. It happened to go on sale on Amazon, so after reading the book's description and seeing the rating, I thought I would give it a ...more
Michelle
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction of this nature.
However, I've been reading too many of these Nazi-Germany-styled WW2 stories, one after the other, whereas I should have spaced them out.

Once again, five stars for the actual story and Lisa/Charlotte's resilience throughout this ordeal. Overall, I have mixed feelings. In some way, the story was missing depth. Pacing in the story was erratic at times: some parts of the story really captured my attention, while other parts dragged along.
I enjoyed the
Laura Richards
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read.

Even as people in England were sending their own children to safer places during WWII, England was accepting refugee children from Germany. Lisa's journey is filled with fear, hate, courage, assimilation and tremendous loss.
The author has done a wonderful job of describing life in England, both in the city and the countryside during the German blitz. Her descriptions and the accompanying details of what the English endured and in particular the journey of Lisa's, a 13 year old
Katie
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I think if you read it for what it is and don't think too deep about the characters and their feelings it's a lovely story. For me it had enough twists and turns to make me want to read more and was true enough to history to make it seem real. I hope to read another of the authors books.
Jeanne
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diney Costeloe does it again! As in previous reviews of her work, I've indicated I never knew I would enjoy historical fiction but Ms Costeloe's novels are great! This book is truly amazing! 9 out of 10.
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e, historical-fiction
3.5 stars bumped up to 4. I really loved the story of Lisa/Charlotte, especially during the Blitz in the East End which, I felt, was very well described. I kept turning the pages because I was really interested to find out how it all ended for the young heroine.

However, a few things bothered me. Firstly, the numerous grammatical errors in the text. Secondly, the efforts the author makes to drum up empathy which, alas, didn't always ring true (stock ingredients of "popular fiction"?). And
Corinne
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great book. I read this in ebook format. It was long, over 900 pages. The main character is a young girl, Lisa, who is sent out of Germany by train in 1939 due to the beginnings of WWII. Lisa is sent to London to a foster couple and this story is about her life during WWII. It always amazes me the conditions of places like London and France during the war. It is difficult to imagine just what the people went through. Totally engrossing story and worth the read.
Lauren Hopkins
Apr 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Spoilers, so be on the lookout. The story in this is okay but kind of bizarre...you think you're getting one thing and then it changes, and changes, and changes. You follow some characters all at once, but then stick to one particular character for five chapters in a row, forget about what the others are up to, and then bam, you get one chapter from another perspective. In all, there are about three main perspectives in this book, though the focus is on Lisa, or Charlotte, the German Jewish ...more
Helen
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I absolutely fell in love with it. I don't know why some people have grave reviews on such a great book like this but it may not be everyone's cup of tea - we all have our opinions. But, for me, this book was so well developed that it was a light and brisk read. I never had to falter on words because everything was simplistic yet descriptive (if that makes sense xD). I must say at times I felt sorry for Lisa but she was a brave girl that was determined to not give up amidst ...more
Tara
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-moving story about a girl who has to leave Germany with her Jewish family, and the various English citizens who step up and take her in. Costeloe knows her history and is especially good at depicting domestic life.
Shirley Revill
This really is a thought provoking story that I couldn't put down.
Highly recommended.
imabookmagnet
I do like the storyline but I'm not really a fan of the writing style. Having said that... I know ill at some point pick up book 2
Joanna Jennings
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
So the history was interesting, and the storyline had its good points, but honestly the writing was matter-of-fact and boring. Had to make myself finish it. Had some profanity and a brief immoral part... I do not recommend!
Terry
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The girl With No Name by Diney Costeloe

My wife said that this book was promoted as a 'chick' book, but suggested that as I was around in the Blitz, I might find it interesting. Well, I'm no 'chicken' but I loved this story. At first, I thought it was written in a rather naive fashion; everybody was a goody-goody, even the nasty people weren't really nasty, but then I realised that people were like that during the blitz. Everyone rallied round and helped each other, determined not to be defeated
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
What a beautiful ending to a wonderful book. Thank goodness Harry seem to have disappeared from the picture - I wonder what happened to him?

It was horrifying to read about Mutti's condition at the end, to imagine anyone could survive such a thing let alone the hundreds of people who did is just.... insane. It really does seem like a work of fiction; heartbreaking and impossible to believe.

Lovely ending, poor girl after all her heartache she deserved such a joyful end.

All the characters were
Joann
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm still not sure how I felt about this book. I really liked the story and Lisa, the girl of the title. The realities of Europe in WWII and London during the Blitz were told with heartbreaking detail. However, I would have appreciated more character development. We were told how certain characters felt, but it was sometimes hard to understand the why. The character of Harry also bothered me. He seemed to be kind of a deus ex machina. He would show up just long enough to be the catalyst for ...more
Carolee Taylor
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I am on such a historical fiction kick. This was an extremely well written book. Weaving just enough history in the story without making it feel like a textbook. Follows the story of Jewish German refugee in London through a free years and how her life intersected with others in the story. Enough background on each that they didn't feel like an afterthought. Going to read book 2!
Kari
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Great book. I love that it looked at a part of WWII that is rarely talked/written about. The only reason I gave it 3 stars was because there were so many grammatical errors that drove me nuts. Otherwise it was a great read and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author. This is the second book I've read by her and I enjoyed both.
Katie Berryman
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
Such a great read

This was one I had trouble putting down. It put to life so many of the challenges faced during world war 2. I loved the story line and got mad enough at the characters! Some of the English words took me a bit to discern as American English is spoken a bit differently. But overall I really enjoyed it and can't wit for the next one that comes out!
Melissa
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just ok. Could have been great

Wonderful interesting characters but they never really went anywhere. Kept waiting for something that never really seemed to happen. It was a bit disappointing. Lots of things happen but it all seems a bit random and with no real purpose.
Emily
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story about a German girl shipped to England during WWII as a refugee. I wasn't aware that some children were shipped out of Germany in lieu of going to concentration camps, but it was certainly a happier fate, though still fraught with challenges. A new country, new "parents", new language, and once the bombings began in England, safety and security became huge issues as well. Lisa, who became "Charlotte" due to amnesia that later resolved, went through so much but was a ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jan 14, 2016 09:37AM

• Het vergeten kamp
  • Those Who Save Us
  • When I'm Gone
  • From Sand and Ash
  • The Silver Music Box
  • Onder de sterren van Montpellier
  • Silverstrand
  • Emma wil leven: Een waargebeurd verhaal over de strijd tegen anorexia
  • In Farleigh Field
  • De experimenten
  • White Rose, Black Forest
  • 't Hooge Nest
  • 19% kans op geluk
Encouraged by my publisher father, I have been writing all my life. When I was five, he took my first effort to his office and brought it back in a cardboard cover with the label, 'Tom's Party'written by Diney, published by Daddy.
I've never looked back and always have some writing on the go.
To date I have written 10 romantic novels under the name of Diney Delancey (I liked the shape of the name

The Girl With No Name (2 books)
  • The Married Girls (The Girl With No Name #2)
“Don’t let the loss of your loved ones destroy the rest of your life. Mourn them, grieve for them, remember them with love and then gradually, gently, ease them into a secret” 2 likes
“because I need you back” 0 likes