Start by marking “War Factory (Transformation, #2)” as Want to Read:
War Factory (Transformation, #2)

War Factory

(Transformation #2)

Thorvald Spear's only goal was to get his revenge on the rogue artificial intelligence, Penny Royal. The AI apparently left him to die and killed thousands of his comrades in the process. But things aren't as clear-cut as they seem. Can he truly rely on his own version of events? And has Penny Royal been meddling with his memories and his very identity?

The alien prador Sve

Kindle Edition, Main Market Ed. edition, 561 pages
Published May 5th 2016 by Pan (first published May 3rd 2016)

Start your review of War Factory (Transformation, #2)
Mya
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Dark Intelligence is no less riveting and complex than the first in the Transformation series. Asher is still playing with the deconstruction and evolution of being, what it means to exist, to act and overcome for Humans, Prador (the crab-like alien race) as well as A.I. entities. Through Penny Royal, a dark (possibly insane) A.I. the destinies of characters introduced in the first book continue to be manipulated. Is it for peace, is it out of guilt, is it out of benevolence? The m ...more
Bradley
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I have finally become a card-carrying fan of Asher. Before, it was all about the awesome tech and the cool reveals that usually surrounded the cool tech, but then I was getting into the wide range of messed up characters being transformed from normal baddies to nearly godlike baddies... while the rest of the Polity goes nuts with godlike AIs of every flavor and disposition ruling us poor fools however they liked. Often to some very strange results.

Fast forward to the current novel. It co
Xavi
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: llegits-2016
Space-opera at its best with a fantastic world-building, good characters and a complex, surprising and addictive plot, with moments of tension and action if somewhat elongated for my taste in some cases. I really want to know how the saga will end.

Full review in english: http://dreamsofelvex.blogspot.com/201...
Reseña en castellano: http://dreamsofelvex.blogspot.com/201...

Tim Hicks
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book has flaws but I am starting from six stars for scope, complexity and continuation of a very long series. So five.

If this is your first Asher, put it down NOW. Go and read at least six of his others, and definitely #1 of this series.

As I read this I kept picturing Asher working in an biggish room with whiteboards from floor to ceiling. On one wall he lists all the facts he has laid out about each character. On another, he maps where everyone is at the current plot moment. On the third
John
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War Factory Review – Mr. Asher has once again taken us on a rip roaring ride through the universe of the Polity, chalk full of half human crabs and overly emotional AIs War Factory may be his best work yet!
As is typical in Mr. Asher’s work a broad range of characters from past works, particularly Dark Intelligence, take part in the chaos that unfolds. As the title infers the central plot focuses around AI with seemingly God like abilities finding the original factory it was created in. The mach
Jason
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
5 Stars

Are simply not enough to describe how much I loved this book from Neal Asher. I am a true fan boy of his and War Factory seemed to be written just for me. Who would ever think that an action packed space opera featuring next to no humans would be so identifiable and real. I devoured this one and will read every book that Asher writes.
Mark Medina
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Silky smooth sci-fi with bite. More please!
Chris Berko
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immensely entertaining book.
Sontaranpr
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book where you have *no* idea what's going on but you're riding along giggling the whole time as it's just that good.

An excellent follow on in the series and one that closes out some threads while making a whole new quilt along the way. Additionally, I'm not even certain those closed threads will remain that way as death is a mere inconvenience in this universe.

Now the long dark wait till the next one.
Nick
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not terrific. Internal inconsistency, and way too much exposition. Could've been halved in length but I guess he's famous enough now, for publishers to fear editing a cash-cow. I'd be harsher, but he's suffered loss, I know how that feels and there should be more mercy in the world.

I will always read him. Jain-speed Asher.
Steven Stennett
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great science fiction!!!!

Second book in the series. Artificial intelligence has never been handle so well. The complexity of a,man made being that has surpassed it's maker is spell binding.

The truma of self-awareness is delivered flawlessly!!
Liviu
May 08, 2016 marked it as tried-but-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
cannot believe I arrive at a point where the Polity novels of Neal Asher became so meh for me, but here it is...
Bryan Brown
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci_fi
This is the second book about the dark intelligence named Penny Royal. It plays out similar to how Dark Intelligence did by following many different characters that have had historical contact with the rogue AI. At the culmination of the first book in the trilogy two of the characters whos lives were changed by Penny Royal reached a... well, a transformation likely why the series has that name.

The ultimate confrontation between these characters, and a new character the AI that created Penny Roy
Ed Dragon
Compared to previous book this has more chapters about prador aliens. There's some more said about their doings and motivations to the point, that this one might even count as a biological-science-fiction novel.

The dark AI, Penny Royal, appears to be just less obscure, provides more explanations that serve this sequel well. Continued structure of sub-chapters assigned to particular character still works and i liked it. Great story telling with coherent pacing, deep characters, and fantastic tec
Niklas Grundstrom
I started reading Neal Asher quite recently. Dark Intelligence was actually my first one. Since then I've read more about the Polity universe so this time I was able to pick up the references better.

This is so far Neal's best book I've read. It's structurally a better book, the narrative races along, the epic space battles are even more epic and all the subplots are equally engaging. It does a great job at keeping you informed about what's going on and occasionally catches up the plot which can
DiscoSpacePanther
As always - I really enjoy Neal Asher's Polity novels. This one is more of the same - tightly plotted, its 500+ pages flowed past effortlessly. More please!
Mark
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
War Factory is the second novel in Neal Asher’s Transformations series, preceded by Dark Intelligence. Based in his ever-popular Polity universe, War Factory takes the events from the first novel and expands on them further, and all done in typical Asher fashion. Not the place to jump in to Asher’s work, but if you liked Dark Intelligence, you’ll love War Factory…

From the publisher:
One seeks judgement, another faces damnation and one man will have his revenge . . .
Thorvald Spear is losing his mi
Michael Brookes
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There aren't many authors whose latest releases push their way to the front of my TBR list, but Neal Asher is one of them. He's one of my favourite contemporary science fiction authors, and I'm always eager to read his latest offering. The main reason for this isn't just the craft of his writing (good as it is), but the strength of his world building. The Polity universe is an interesting, and diverse place. There is a wealth of technological wonders there, but also a balance.

Although the balanc
Jamie Rich
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War Factory (Transformation #2) by Neal Asher

Wowzers! What a read! This is the second of three books in the Transformation series. And it picks up about a nanosecond after the first one ends. Or maybe that's a femto second? The pacing is tight, and the plot seems to start at berserk and then go into hyperdrive. We have several subplots, each by a different character, who's have each somehow, been changed by being in contact with Penny Royal. Penny Royal is the galaxy's Most Wanted AI, and for se
Sandrus
This was super awesome. Just can't wait to read Infinity Engine (Tansformation #3), clash of mad AIs?
Liz
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Wow! This is a high octane sci-fi thriller!
The story is complicated and convoluted (particularly if you have not read the previous book in this series). The glossary and cast of characters in the front proved to be necessary in getting the basics of the story.
The action is virtually non-stop and at times unsettling, I frequently found myself going back to reread portions to ensure I understood what was happening. This is not a book you take alo
Richard Pearson
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Neal Asher. I've been a fan of his work since Gridlinked and every time there's a new book I'm always super excited.

Thankfully War Factory didn't let me down. Now I'm not a fan of the transition between first and third person but it works to highlight the main character I guess. I also kind of would have liked a few more jovial/sarcastic AIs. They're all a little bit psychopathic but that's kind of the point of the book!

So if you like psychopathic AIs then you should read this book. No re
Joseph Manes
Wow that was fun ... What next I want more

When gods are AI and students are next version man only the likes of Neal Asher can take you out past the edge of crazy and make you like the trip there and back ... I hope there is another book are three to take us even further !!!

Love his world view and the places we get to visit when he writes ... May you write 200.300.400 more great stories with this scope
Kelvin Clements
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n_asher
Another exciting installment, as alway a convoluted story, so you can't guess where the stories heading. One of the main characters appears to have died (but it hard to die completed in the Polity, so there is hope of his return and I personally think he will). I have no idea how Neal Asher will wrap up all the loose ends in the next book, although I won't say no if it has to go to a 4th book.
Belinda Lewis
Aaak. I am super conflicted about this.

I love the way Neal Asher is weaving his universe together. I love human / AI / monster-crab hybrids (I mean who doesn't?).

But the writing style is so ADD, so many characters PoV in such short choppy chapters. As soon as I really get into one thread it cuts to the next one.

I found it super hard to focus and took ages to finish it.
Jack Teng
I always love Neal Asher's dark characters! My main issue is that there were a few too many to follow. I think trimming it down to three would have made the narrative more clear. Still enjoyed it though!
Jolter164
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome sequel!

I've always enjoyed the Neal Asher Polity novels as cutting edge sci-fi but this trilogy definitely "ups the game". I wish I knew how he thinks this stuff up but it's good enough for me that he does. I eagerly await the next book!
Scott Steves
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be one of my absolute favorites. The more I read, the more I wanted to keep going. It's amazing the level of detail put into other species and their mannerisms and history. Can't wait until the next book!
Teresa
Mar 04, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
* e-Arc provided by Edelweiss *
Matt
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting worried, I think I'm starting to understand the machinations of a demented fictional AI
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Info 2 14 Jul 08, 2018 03:44PM

• Revenger (Revenger, #1)
  • The Parasite
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2)
  • Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1)
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams
  • Century Rain
  • A Night Without Stars (Commonwealth Universe, #7)
  • Elysium Fire (Prefect Dreyfus Emergency #2)
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Embers of War (Embers of War, #1)
  • The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution #2)
  • Redemption Ark (Revelation Space, #2)
  • Terminal World
  • World Engines: Destroyer
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • Permafrost
I’ve been an engineer, barman, skip lorry driver, coalman, boat window manufacturer, contract grass cutter and builder. Now I write science fiction books, and am slowly getting over the feeling that someone is going to find me out, and can call myself a writer without wincing and ducking my head. As professions go, I prefer this one: I don’t have to clock-in, change my clothes after work, nor scru ...more

Transformation (3 books)
  • Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1)
  • Infinity Engine (Transformation, #3)

News & Interviews

“Blew up? How?’ ‘We dropped a shielded runcible gate into it while the gate at the other end was moved into position before a stream of near-light-speed asteroids flung out from a spinning black hole.” 2 likes
“shattered like old glass,” 1 likes