Start by marking “Midnight Man (Midnight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Man (Midnight, #1)

Midnight Man

(Midnight #1)

Interior designer Suzanne Barron always thought shed fall in love slowly with a suitable man, a safe man. Former navy SEAL John Huntingtonaka the Midnight Man-- is anything but safe. The day they meet, Suzanne shocks herself by having no holds barred sex with John. But her panic goes into overdrive when danger strikes. John will protect her, but whos going to protect her ...more
ebook, 2nd edition
Published December 28th 2015 by Lisa Marie Rice (first published May 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Man

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonTwilight by Stephenie MeyerCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
My Dream Leading Men...
2,312 books — 2,955 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnMine Till Midnight by Lisa KleypasOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Best Romance Series
1,067 books — 1,804 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Midnight Man (Midnight, #1)
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Why, oh why, did I wait so long to read this book?

When advertising for a tenant for her office/apartment building, Suzanne Barron didnt know exactly what kind of person would apply but when John Huntington showed up for their meeting, she knew she was in trouble! Their meeting was planned, but their attraction was not. It was there, it was powerful, and it was not to be denied.

I really, really, really REALLY, love John Huntington, AKA, Midnight Man. Talk about alpha on steroids! Talk about hot,
Katnip
Jan 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My lord.

As romance its alright, if you are able to suspend your disbelief as to the amount of time it takes the two to get physical. Basically, Suzanne (h) an interior designer, rents out some rooms to this big, tough, ex-military scary man. Whose name also happens to be John (H). They both feel an intense attraction and have sex against a wall the first night they meet. John also shows his apparent skill with disabling a security alarm with wire and some of his spit. Mmm. Manly.

Anyway.
Kristen
2 1/2WAY TOO MUCH NARRATIVEStars

I know this is a popular book among my friends and I can understand whyit's well written, intriguing, and deliciously steamy. That said, it also overflowed with narrative and very little character dialogue, which is a pet-peeve of mine. It's essential I have an abundance of character dialogue in order for me to connect with a couple and their love story. That did not happen with this book. Also, the HEA ending was way too abrupt for my liking. I felt gyped out of
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Holy heck was this hot! This book has one of the most Alpha males I've ever read. You don't get more manly than Jon. He's ex-military but still behaves as if he's in a war zone. He's very protective and in charge, but also a gentleman. You get both POV's and his thoughts are pretty crude in places but honestly, it sounds true to what a male would think. Men do NOT think about rainbows and kittens. There was no game playing, just straight up attraction. It's a short read, with a short story line ...more
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: KindleRomance Reviews
Completely enjoyed this fast paced steamy read!! John is an intense & aggressive ALPHA!! He meet's Suzanne and BAM!!!! It's game on (his nickname should be Steamroller!). Suzanne is sweet & quiet and completely unprepared for this ALPHA, since most the men in her life have been rather meek. But when danger comes calling Suzanne finds out just how much she needs and wants this intense man.

I am looking forward to the next two books in the series!! Thank you Kris (KindleRomance) and Vika
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: MelissaB
Ive been on the fence about reading erotica/romantica for a long time, because I always need more than a bunch of sex scenes thrown together in a book. I finally made the jump into reading 'Midnight Man' after seeing several recommendations on the Romance Forum at Amazon and, boy, let me tell you... I loved it! It was hot - of course! - but the story wasnt just about two people having sex. The book had a plot, and a good one! I only wish the end wasnt so abrupt - I love epilogues - but I was ...more
Christine
Feb 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Karla

2.5 Stars! Sex, sex and more sex, but no suspense!

I'm in the minority, a lot of readers like this book, and it was good as far as an erotic read went, but not much in the way of mystery and suspense. Lots of penis talk though! Another hero who sports a log between his legs, it's a wonder John Huntington could walk. Suzanne was obsessed and fascinated by it. It took on a life of it's own...almost like another character!

Suzanne searched in her depths for some way to deal with the situation. Some
Eastofoz
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers looking for a protector kind of romance with rough and raw sex
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Auntee & Kathrynn
Pretty good overall. If youre looking for one of those alpha hero special ops guys who protects the heroine at all costs this could interest you.

I generally liked the story, more towards the end though where the hero became more human. Hes a bit too animalistic for my taste which made the steam scenes too rough and raw at times---get out the fan for the wall scenes though (**whoaaaa**). Hes not an annoying uber-alpha but he has his smack me one moments. The heroine was a bit vapid and you didnt
Kim
The ULTIMATE Alpha guy. Commander John Huntington. Since my book version had the worst front cover ever I had to find a replacement. So here he is....................

[image error]

♡Karlyn P♡
Great book, just how I like my steamy erotica reads. Non-cheesy sex scenes with great characters and a good plot to tie it all together. I now get why so many people consider this a favorite read!
Anita
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is sizzle off the pages hot, erotic and a wonderful escape from the drudgery of normal life. I'd like to say it had a twisty mystery to solve or that the suspense kept me on the edge of my seat, but that just wouldn't be true. Don't expect it and you won't be disappointed when all you get is heart palpitations of the sexy kind.

Suzanne Barron is an interior designer who has a successful business and has rehabbed an old factory for her office and living space. She is looking for a tenant
Holly
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lisa-marie-rice
John Huntington is known to his fellow SEALS as the Midnight Man, a man who works best under the cover of darkness. He's just come back from a messy job in South America, right in time for his appointment with Suzanne Barrons. Suzanne is interviewing him as a possible tenant for her building. She lives in an up and coming neighborhood and the possibility of having a big strong man around is appealing to her. Until she sees him and he wreaks havoc on her femininity. With his adrenaline still ...more
Ingie
Written March 26, 2013

OMG, my heart still pounds - what a wonderful hot and funny novel - 5 thick hot Stars to this divine alpha male and his sweet baby.

I knew after just a few pages that this was just the right book for me to read. I wanted a fast read romance, something to giggle with, something a little light hearted and a lot of steam & heat. I got it!

We have an large muscular alpha male (think: lion/bull) and a petite blonde sweetie (think: bambi/bunny) who meets. She will be his new
Carvanz
Audible: Narrated by Alexandra R. Josephs
A bit disappointed in the narrators vocalization of John. Her other male voices were not a problem, just when she did the heros. I made the conscious decision to shake any annoyances off and quickly found myself lost in her voice and the story.

This is one of my all-time favorite books due to John Huntington. It is a go to on my reread shelf when I want a feel good, big old over the top alpha hero. Plenty of possessiveness, protectiveness and take charge
Jane Stewart
4.5 stars. Hot lustful sex scenes, no kinkiness. Former Navy SEAL protects delicate heroine from a hitman.

STORY BRIEF:
Suzanne inherited a factory building which she converted into two units. Each unit has an office for the public in front and an apartment in the back (kitchen, bedroom, etc.) Suzanne is an interior decorator. She works and lives in her unit. Suzanne placed an ad for a tenant to rent the second unit. John sees the ad and ends up renting the second unit. He is a former navy SEAL
♡Tonya♡
I loved it and I'm pissed at the same time....I need some info before I post my review .......
Bev
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first read this a while back and liked it. Initially I gave it 3 stars as the ending was rather abrupt and ended on a HFN and I need my HEA - always :)

The author re-released this in December 2015 after lightly re-editing and I was provided an ARC for my honest review. I couldn't see any obvious changes and enjoyed it even more the second time around because I know that HFN becomes a dead cert HEA - we meet up with John and Suzanne frequently in the rest of the series.

I LOVE LMR's alpha males,
Gina
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
I really enjoyed this book, but I gotta tell you it felt like a "Wham bam thank you Ma'am". it was fast and furious and over before i knew it! The story was intense, the sex was amazingly hot and and the hero was a bit of a caveman, but sometimes that's exactly what i like in my heroes! It would have been nice to have more story to this and the ending was abrupt to say the least. I gotta tell you, it definitely kept my interest and i will be reading the next book in this series and hope i get to ...more
Varied Books
On sale for .99
Thought the h was too perfect. Plot could of been developed more. Story was fun to read. Sex scenes were meh. Lacked heat & creativity. The h didn't get enough foreplay (lol)
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
I have to admit the very first Lisa Marie Rice book I read a couple of weeks ago did not inspire me to read any more, I enjoyed it, I just had a few issues at the start. However I found myself days later thinking how much I actually liked the first book I read of hers which was Woman on the Run , went back and upgraded my rating and then decided to try out some more of her books.

Well, I loved this book.

Interior decorator Suzanne Barron is renting out office and living space in the building she
Miss Kim
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Kim by: Fans of LMR
Ive had Midnight Man in my TBR for three years. Im glad I finally decided to pick it up. It is a quick easy read, and would satisfy the LMR fan. She doesnt differ from formula here.

John is an ex SEAL (with gunmetal grey eyes), whos started up his own security company. Suzanne is an interior decorator who runs her own successful business as well. They meet when he wants to lease part of her building for his latest office. When he walks in, he is immediately stricken will lust for this tiny,
Searock
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my freakin' dang I liked this book!
Prepare to be gushed upon!

Parts of this book were perfection (like the hunter/prey scene- I really dug the writing technique employed there- brilliant). I loved the structure, loved being in John's head for the initial sequences and that the author honed in on the sensual romance with development of the characters as the priority of the story.

If anything the suspense is like wallpaper here (we aren't forced into the head of the bad guy and there's not even
L8blmr
Apr 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I read the third book ("Midnight Angel") first, or I might not have gone on with this series. Don't get me wrong - "Midnight Man" was good, but not GREAT. A couple of things really bothered me about it once I finished: the heroine was never told of the violent death of someone significant in her life; and the HEA (which I'm a sucker for, I have to admit) was summed up, not in one page, not even in one paragraph, but in one SENTENCE! AND ... though it was obvious to the reader that the ...more
Lena
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it

03425386-1393-4FC6-97EF-D5F5C9854A1B.jpg

This was the first explicit romantic suspense novel I ever read so it has a special place in my special place.

That said, it was not as entertaining upon reread.

I would still recommend Lisa Marie Rice for anyone looking for hot vanilla.
Ruth
Holy smokes! This is one hot, hot, hot, steamy number! Caveman alpha hero - check. Moderately interesting plot to fill in the bits between the hot sex - check. Hot sex - check. Good characterization particularly for a quickie read - check. More hot sex - check.

This was such a fun read, and for such a short book, the plot was actually quite good. Nothing earth-shattering, and with no real twists, but entertaining enough. But let's face it, you only read this for the sex. The hero was so
Monique
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

I did enjoy this. The romance was lust filled and steamy with some sweet moments.

And I loved John. Total caveman, total alpha male. That man has one hell of a sex drive.

But the climax... What climax? What should have been suspenseful and dramatic wasn't. It just fell completely flat. There wasn't enough suspense. And the ending! It was too abrupt, I mean, it was a good ending but I wished it would have been longer.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Midnight series by Lisa Marie Rice. John Huntington is looking for a new space for his business and decides that Suzanne Barron's renovated factory will work just fine. A former military man, John aka Midnight Man, is now the owner of Alpha Security International. Suzanne is an interior designer.

Another story that could have used a little more character development but I loved it anyway. A spicy little read with a nice plot and a little suspense.
CeCe
3.5 Stars

There were parts I really liked and others I thought were okay, but overall it was a good read. I liked the characters and story. I think would have liked an epilogue even if it was short.

It usually bothers me when the heroine has sex with the hero the first day she meets him, but I never got the impression she was slutty. The entire meeting and interaction flowed well. It was steamy and I loved how protective the hero was to the heroine.
Saly
I could sum this entire series in a couple of lines. Cliched alpha heroes, who see the heroine go ROAR, they fall in bed the same day, uber possessive, a little early Linda Howard like uncomfortable with too huge hero sex, and them wanting to be in heroine all day (ouch), HEA. The book was a basically a bed fest.
Linda Howard Book...: April '18 Non-LH BOTM - Midnight Man 11 17 Apr 26, 2018 02:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the Audible edition 2 12 Nov 04, 2013 08:05AM

• Drew (Lighthouse Security Investigations #4)
  • Under Pressure (IAD Agency #1)
  • SEAL Out of Water (Silver SEALs)
  • Rule's Obsession (The House of Rule, #1)
  • To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1)
  • Risk No Secrets (Black Ops Inc., #5)
  • Pursuit
  • No Turning Back (Suspense Series, #3)
  • Take No Prisoners (Black Ops Inc., #2)
  • Whisper No Lies (Black Ops Inc., #3)
  • Sweet Rose (Baytown Boys #10)
  • With No Remorse (Black Ops Inc., #6)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Bagram Special Ops, #3)
  • Under the Cowboy's Control
  • Behind Closed Doors (McClouds & Friends #1)
  • Out of Her League (Suspense Series, #1)
  • Marco's Redemption
  • Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2)
Lisa Marie Rice is eternally 30 years old and will never age. She is tall and willowy and beautiful. Men drop at her feet like ripe pears. She has won every major book prize in the world. She is a black belt with advanced degrees in archaeology, nuclear physics, and Tibetan literature. She is a concert pianist. Did I mention her Nobel Prize? Of course, Lisa Marie Rice is a virtual woman and exists ...more

Midnight (3 books)
  • Midnight Run (Midnight, #2)
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)

News & Interviews

“There were two kinds of people in this world. Those whose thoughts and emotions were on a dial and those whose emotions were on a switch. He was a switchman himself and had spent his entire lifetime among switches.
Something either was or wasn’t. Had happened or hadn’t. You either could do it or couldn’t. It either worked or it didn’t. You were either happy or unhappy.
Dial people were different. Their emotions ran up and down a scale and you had to guess at what point they were and try to coax them to go in the direction you wanted.”
1 likes
“They were bound by the most ancient law of all. He had fought and killed for her. She was his.” 1 likes