Start by marking “The Keeper and the Rulership” as Want to Read:
The Keeper and the Rulership

The Keeper and the Rulership

(The End in the Beginning Book #1)

As the daughter of a landowner, Raneh lives in a world of clearly defined roles and rules. She's supposed to get married, gain status, become a landowner herself, and definitely not have magic. Seeing as it's forbidden and all.

Too bad she has it anyway.

On top of that, a suitable courtship does not seem to be forthcoming, her younger brother is a social embarrassment,
Published September 21st 2015 (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Keeper and the Rulership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Keeper and the Rulership

Start your review of The Keeper and the Rulership
Francesca Forrest
I loved this story in equal parts for its fun characters and its imaginative world-concept. In this world, status is more than just an abstraction; it's an actual (ethereal) substance that the landowning class possesses. When they're looking good and doing good, others send status their way; when they're behaving badly, people take some of their status away. The downside to being a landowner is that you're forbidden to use magic ... or to do mathematics. There are some pretty funny scenes ...more
A. Powers
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read, from start to finish!

The Keeper and the Rulership is a one-of-a-kind story set in a completely fictional world filled with magic and power. I can safely say that I have never read anything like this, and the author does an amazing job at bringing such a world to life.

Raneh has chosen to take the oath of status, with plans to one day own her own land and take on her own vassals. But she’s hiding a secret – although she didn’t take the oath of magic, she is able to do magic.
Ksandra
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Well, this one took me a while to get into. Raneh lives in a world split by castes: The Ruler, Ruler's Heirs, Landowners, Mathematicians, Magicians, and Vassals. Landowners are not allowed to know math nor use magic on pain of death. Raneh wants to be a Landowner like her parents, but finds herself with magic.

Why did it take me a while? Because the whole system made no sense to me. It seemed overly
Noxwitchbooklife
I read this as part of the Noblebright kindle box set
This is first book in the Systems of the Rulership series.
I think it's a wonderfully different take on the idea of magics as a way of life. A clean fantasy book with a good amount of teen drama I ended up staying up way past bed time to finish it.
It's easy reading and wonderfully written to stop you putting it down.
Lene Blackthorn
I am a huge fan on Emilys writing and I must admit she did not disappointed me once again.
Raneh lives secretly on the edge of the law - as a landowner, she possesses magic, which is strictly restricted and punishable by death sentence. When her younger sister Yaika in her vanity attracts the interest of the Ruler, Raneh realizes she is in danger - and more so when Yaika becomes the Rulers heir and takes her sister as a companion to Central.
The story is very original, innovative and appealing.
Fayley
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely light fantasy, and the blurb doesn't do it justice. Although it follows Raneh, the real main character is the weird world that they live in, and there are some fun twists. The writer really captured the situation where some classes of people in a culture never question it because "that's just how things are done", while others think it's crazy. Recommended if you like "noblebright" fantasy
Robert
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did think from time to time that maybe this was intended for young adults and all the discussions on clothes and flowers were a bit "girly", but not too much, and anyway that did not interfere with my enjoyment. The striking thing was a totally original slant on magic.
Vesmé
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017

After reading the description of the book I was interested in it, and having finished, it was even more interesting then I was expecting. Sorensen has created a very fascinating world with a lot of rules and then managed to make it feel real and that the characters are part of it.

Raneh lives is a world where magic exists, however only those who take an oath and renounce status are able to use it. As a Landowner,
Jennifer G
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Keeper and The Rulership is the first book that I have read by Martha Sorenssen. "I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own." The author has created a fantastical world complete with a likable cast of characters.

This is a world of magic and mathematics. People live with an ever-changing status system. Raneh is a young woman at the cusp of adulthood trying to choose between several not-so-perfect suiters. She lives with her family; her parents a dull
Jessica Creason
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
I read this book in one day... really in a few hours. It was a great, easy read! It was also really well thought out. The world building was excellent, and while trying not to give much away, the positive aspects and faults of the world were highlighted nicely.

I really liked the main character. While pressure was put on her to find a husband, not only did she stick to her morals and standards, but she also didn't get dumb and goofy over any guy that gave her attention and she thought she might
Mirandia Berthold
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to say how much I enjoyed this book. I truly did. However it is not without some small critiques. I want to say that for starters I was very intrigued and my attention was very much engaged in the entire concept of this story/world that the author has built for us. While she has done an excellent job of building this world and maintaining it there were parts, in which past rulers and keepers are being talked about, that my head went sorta swimmy. What I mean by that it was easy to get ...more
Kyra Halland
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Magic is forbidden, but Ranah can't stop herself from growing it. As if that isn't trouble enough, she's at the age to be choosing a serious suitor, but can't seem to get that to work out right, either. Solidly YA fantasy about a young woman trying to find her place in a world ruled by status and laws that she just can't quite fit into.
Ellen
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magic and math are only for the lowly. The landowners can use those who have it but can't use it themselves. Magic keeps the world going, but something is wrong. Raneh is looking for love and marriage, but magic is in her life. She does not want it. What will happen?
Great story with interesting twists and turns.
Stuart Macmartin
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, read-in-2017
An odd little story. Has promise of being less YA but decided to stay there. Secondary characters could have been more real. Glad I read it because of its weird concept and world, but won't read the next because the details are too simplistic and girly.
Phyllis Moore
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The Author is a good storyteller. Some of the aspects of the new world she created could use a little more explanation on how it works. But her writing made that world very believable.
Naticia
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, series, ya, magic
I loved the premise of this book. So interesting. But I feel that a lot of this book was to set up the next one.
Jodi Woody
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun lighthearted fantasy. Part of the boxed set "Light in the Darkness." I give it four stars. Ok for teens and up. No swearing, violence or sexual content.
Kety
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a YA (Young Adult story), well written and full of surprise.
I enjoyed the characters, the plot, the plot twists and its evolution until its conclusion. a story that will transport you into a new world, different from ours, but very charming.
I recommend this book to those who love fantasy and adventure.
I received this book from the author and this is my honest review.
Destiny
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was impressed by the complexity of the world in this book. It was a very refreshing take on what could have been a typical teen fantasy novel. I am quite interested in reading the next book in the series.
Shelli King
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This story has great potential. It's imaginative and colorful. The plot has great bones. But many of the main characters need fleshing out. There are plot elements that take sharp turns as if a chapter were missing. It's also a little precious in places.

Aside from that, it's a quick and enjoyable read. None of the flaws I mention above are deadly, just a little distracting. I'm hoping that the prequel and subsequent books flesh things out a
Jamie-Lee Peach
This book was absolutely amazing. The story line was brilliant and i didnt put the book down until i had finished it. Character development in this book was outstanding. couldnt ask for anything better. I flew throught this book without a single problem. each segment of the book i thoroughly enjoyed and would live to read another of books now. would recommend to anyone who loves a good book.
Maryf
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was definitely for the young adult. I wasn't sure I was going to like it but the more you read the more interesting it became. I want to know more of how the world is going to be changing since magic has disappeared. Would like to know how the ruler is going to use the sister to get her revenge on Ranah.
Amber Mangum
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good I finished in two and a half days. I couldn't put it down and absolutely loved the characters. Excellent story plot with an unexpected twist. I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy and magic. I loved it and am giving it five stars
Diane
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice young adult fantasy about magic. Took a few chapters to describe the setting and what Ranch's life is like. About midway it started to get interesting and kept your reading. Love the ending now I need to read the next book to see what is going to happen.
Jessica Garland
I received a copy for an honest review. Unfortunately I really didn't like this story. After reading the first few chapters, I struggled with picking the book up again.

Now don't get me wrong, it had its moments where I was grasping for the page. I just did not like Raneh. She was petty and superficial with absolutely no redeeming qualities. Everything had to go her way and with little regard for those around her.

As for the "love triangle," that was a reach. She found something wrong with them
Courtney Moctezuma
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
super creative and very detailed! The story was well developed and very whimsical. I was really transported into the Rulership
Valicity Garris
I like books about magic, I like books with minority leads, I like books that have a bit of magical fantasy in them. And that’s what I got here.

This is kind of like a big pot of magic, somewhat dystopian society, romance, and basic hero rises to her calling. Its not exactly cliché as it has a fairly original plot, its just that the way things played out made me feel like I would know the ending before I got there.

In the beginning we have Raneh, a pretty good female lead. She’s something like
Jason Crawford
Today, I am reviewing the Fantasy story The Keeper and the Rulership by Emily Martha Sorensen. While this is definitely a YA (Young Adult, for our newcomers) style book, I enjoyed its in-depth character development and plot very much. In this book, we follow the adventures of the young woman, Raneh, as she learns why she has magic and comes to terms with her destiny.

This is a very solid YA fantasy, with enjoyable characters, that stays away from the most onerous of tropes. I give this book a
Allies Opinions
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very unique read. I blew through this book. This world was so interesting that I cringed every time I had to put the book down. I just had to know what would happen next.

The book starts off a bit slow. I rolled my eyes at first thinking it was going to be some kind of love triangle nonsense. In hindsight, I can see why this part of the book needed to be included. It gives a bit of context that the story would be lacking without it.

Raneh is a fun character to read from. She’s snarky
Andrea Stoeckel
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
[I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book]

"Father was the one who had explained that bravery wasn’t not being afraid, it was being afraid and still facing your fears."

(*Although this review focuses on Fires of the Rulership, this reviewer highly suggests reading both the short story The Weeds Within the Rulership and the novella The Keeper and the Rulership*)

Raneh has returned from Central, the heart of The Rulership. Almost "two tens" now, she has won the standoff with the
Kindle Unlimited ...: The Keeper and the Rulership by Emily Martha Sorensen 1 5 Oct 09, 2015 06:53AM

• Anwen of Primewood (Eldentimber, #2)
  • Mythical Doorways
  • Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1)
  • Audette of Brookraven (Eldentimber, #4)
  • The Shy Girl and the Football Star (The Sunday Lunchers Book 1)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Between Stairs and Stardust (Blue Ridge Fairytales #1)
  • Twice Upon A Time
  • Entanglements
  • Once Bitten
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • Twelve Days of Faery (Shards of a Broken Sword #1)
  • The Forest at the Edge of the World (Forest at the Edge, #1)
  • Sugar
  • Not Write Now: A How-Not-To Guide for Writing Fiction
  • Soldier at the Door (Forest at the Edge)
  • Project Relocation
  • Adrift (Grace Springs)

The End in the Beginning Book (4 books)
  • The Weeds within the Rulership