Start by marking “Slow Kingdom Coming: Practices for Doing Justice, Loving Mercy and Walking Humbly in the World” as Want to Read:

14th Annual Outreach Magazine Resource of the Year, Social JusticeNo one said pursuing justice would be easy. The road can be so challenging and the destination so distant that you may be discouraged by a lack of progress, compassion or commitment in your quest for justice. How do you stay committed to the journey when God's kingdom can seem so slow in coming? Kent Annan u ...more
Published April 14th 2016 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Slow Kingdom Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Kingdom Coming

Start your review of Slow Kingdom Coming: Practices for Doing Justice, Loving Mercy and Walking Humbly in the World
My_Strange_Reading
#strangesummerreading Slow Kingdom Coming by Kent Annan ☀☀☀☀☀ I've been reading this book with the team I'm joining for a mission trip to Kenya this summer, and it was so incredible. It reminds me very much of When Helping Hurts, but I feel like this book is much more hopeful and actually gives the reader/perspective-missionary steps and pratices that can be used instead of just telling us how short term missions are worthless. I loved the heartfelt honesty, thought-provoking insights and gettin ...more
Bob
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
<Summary: From years of experience in justice work, Kent Annan commends five practices that both better enable us to serve and to sustain our efforts for the long haul.

One of the delights of working with collegians is that every generation has a fresh passion to change the world. The challenge is that real change is not simple and takes a long time. Often, change efforts end up not fitting the needs of those served, are culturally insensitive, reflect a good deal of hubris, fail to treat those served<Summary:
Tricia
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to this author by my son Chris after he spent 6 months in Haiti. I have read all 3 of Kent Annan's books and been deeply challenged and touched by each one. This one is no exception. Sometimes as a person of privilege, I get paralyzed when trying to "do good" in our complicated world. Annan lays out very practical areas that we should each consider as we work for justice and mercy in our world. Highly pragmatic yet filled with inspiring stories, Kent Annan's on the ground experi ...more
Caroline
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Words fail me in so many ways about this book. I took so many screen shots as I read the book and sent them to friends. This book challenged me and felt deeply uncomfortable and convicting at points? And I loved it! There are so many solid pointers for doing the work of justice well and in a way that is healthy and empowering for the individual and the community. A must read!
Davyd Gosselin
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slow Kingdom Coming (IVP Books 2016) by Kent Annan is a nice blend of truth and grace for budding Mother Theresa's and NGO members everywhere. It's a book that can temper the hopeless romantic's idealism and reinvigorate the hardened veteran's heart. Plus, it's written like a guide book, easy to consult when things go awry in the field. It is a book about compassion, action, "truthing" and how to help people the correct way.

Annan is a veteran of the missions field, having spent
Loretta
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a small book, but a good one for helping us to evaluate how we do and think about justice. Everything he talks about is applicable on any level, from the smallest acts of mercy to the largest aid organizations. I expect that I'll be referring back to this book and the 5 practices outlined often in the years to come.
Catherine Mullaney
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: following-jesus
Annan is a great encourager. He lays out 5 practices for those of us who find ourselves in justice work, learning how to love mercy, and sometimes being humbled as we sometimes find ourselves stumbling as we walk through this life.
Perhaps, I will return here and write a more in-depth review but for now, I will just say that this is one of those books that I could read every 18 months or so.
Lisa Bricker
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
NOT a religious person, but the great thing about these practices is that they're universally applicable--you don't need to be religious. You just need to have something about the world that you think needs changing. This is a thoughtful practical approach to changing the world and bringing about justice.
Marly May
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is insightful and practical. Through 5 practical steps: attention, confession, respect, partnering, and truthing Annan gives us a framework to guide us through a lifetime of slowly, persistently, and patiently bringing the Kingdom while empowering and loving those we work with.
Jennie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very readable and practical guide to living a life of justice and mercy in a broken world. This book also gives encouragement for those who feel overwhelmed by the needs of the world. The practices Annan outlines will help strengthen community partnerships for the long haul, for the glory of God.
Miranda Adderley
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
challenging and offering a new perspective on working for justice
Heather Daugherty
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, and will use it for training my short term missions teams. It had good illustrations, was solidly scriptural, and also was faithful to its premise.
Rand Hall
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Humbling...

I thought I was comfortable working in Crock-Pot mode. This was a good reality check that my Crock-Pot is more microwavish than I think
Karen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, highly recommended! Fresh encouragement to welcome the Kingdom of God one small act done with great love at a time!
Mary Lou
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Soundbite:
“Awakening to justice…involves listening to other people’s lives…We practice awakening to justice by choosing who we talk with, what stories we read, what trips we take…That opens people’s eyes to educational challenges and also pulls back the curtain on big systemic issues of wealth, poverty, government representations, and race that many of them didn’t know in-depth before. Part of this practice of attention involves asking ourselves, What breaks my heart? In the world, my coun
James
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The vision of the Kingdom of God is one of justice—all wrongs put right, swords into plowshares, and all tears wiped from each and every eye. However, despite Jesus' claim (and ours) that the Kingdom of God is at hand, the work for justice remains exhausting work. We have a nation in the throes of debate over whose lives matter, systems still grind up the poor and the marginalized. The poor are always among us and the Kingdom of God is subject to violence. Lord have mercy. God's Kingdom is comin ...more
Raj
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things that continues to amaze me about life is when we think we have everything figured out and then we learn something new or suddenly see something in a different perspective and everything shifts again…do you ever get that? We're aware of our limitations when it comes to meeting the needs of our families, fulfilling the demands of our jobs, persevering in spite of the energy drain and the chronic pain, battling a long-standing habit, learning a new job after being laid off, stayin ...more
Raj
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Joe McFadden
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full Review/Summary here: http://wp.me/p1GgST-1li

Have you ever connected with an effort to help others only to find yourself quickly overwhelmed by the task at hand? Maybe you have wondered, do my efforts really make an impact in the grand scheme of the work that is needed. I find it easy to become discourages in efforts to do good knowing that my efforts will only make not even a small dent in a large issue.

Kent Annan’s new book “Slow Kingdom Coming…” is a book I will find myself referring to aga
Melissa Hinnen
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I received a free copy of this this book to review through NetGalley. This is an important book for churches and individuals who are called to mission work. It moves well meaning people away from the "cheap compassion" of charity and into the meaningful work of sustainable justice building. With an emphasis on honor and respect, Annan shifts the perspective from the volunteer to the recipient. Mission teams must evaluate if they are willing to put in the full investment of relationship building, ...more
Julius
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kent Annan's Slow Kingdom Coming: Practices for Doing Justice, Loving Mercy and Walking Humbly in the World explores the spiritual practice of justice for those who want to make a real difference in the world. In a world with so much injustice, those who work for peace and justice often find themselves overwhelmed and hopeless. Annan's vision helps us take a deep breath and practice that justice with the intention and hopefulness that name the Christian spiritual life.

So the five pr
Kcjones
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I hated the first part, which seemed like an advertisement for his friend's church but the book got better. I liked his section on confession as part of justice work. I don't confess enough. His book had nothing I hadn't heard before but I put some of his quotes in my inspirational quote book. I liked what he said about needing gratitude and joy. I have also found them to be instrumental in keeping me going. His book is basically spiritual intentional peer support (IPS). IPS is a training I had ...more
Gena Thomas
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
It's like your favorite old, wise mentor meets you where you are at. This book is a very important book for the practice of Christianity, especially those who seek to live out Micah 6:8. Kent has a great way of laying out an idea, explaining his story behind the idea, and then challenging the read in a peaceful manner to do what he lays out. It's a glass of cold water on a hot day, it's sitting on a porch with an old friend, it's challenging and revitalizing, restful and provoking.
Jeff
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author identifies and discusses five key practices which he believes are essential for faithful participation in God's now and (slow) coming Kingdom; attention, confession, respect, partnering and truthing. Thoughtful reflection, mostly on action taken in the author's work in Haiti. There is a lot to like here and clearly there is a lot of practice to be done on the practices by all those engaged in mission.
Jessica ☕ Rodrigues
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
The author's idealism is rooted in reality and is deeply inspiring. Filled with real practical tips, this is the encouragement you need for when you look around at all the injustice and darkness in the world and worry that your little light won't change much.

BRB, feeling motivated to change the world.

Luke Merrick
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Annan covers the essential topics involved in the Christian vocation. He explains many of these principals through stories and experiences in his own life.
William Durbin
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
A great read. Finds a balance between development best practice (both international and community) and living out the Gospel.
Alisa
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I had gotten it from the library but just ordered my own copy as I know I will share it and read it again.
Charissa
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful practices for doing justice work well and for the long haul--Not just about making ourselves feel good. Accessible writing but gives you lots to process and ruminate on for awhile.
Jamie Smet
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for Christian individuals, small groups, churches, and nonprofits dedicated to justice work. I read and discussed it with two other women and found that to be highly worthwhile.

• Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe
  • Accidental Saints: Finding God in All the Wrong People
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • A Child of a Crackhead
  • White Working Class: Overcoming Class Cluelessness in America
  • Finding God in the Waves: How I Lost My Faith and Found It Again Through Science
  • The Future King is Here: The Theology of Matthew: Kingdom Theology Series
  • Bright and Distant Shores
  • Prototype: What Happens When You Discover You're More Like Jesus Than You Think?
  • Two Like Me and You
  • Jesus without Borders: What Planes, Trains, and Rickshaws Taught Me about Jesus
Kent Annan is author of "You Welcomed Me," "Slow Kingdom Coming," "After Shock," and "Following Jesus through the Eye of the Needle." He is director of humanitarian and disaster leadership at Wheaton College, where he provides leadership to the M.A. program within the Humanitarian Disaster Institute. He is cofounder of Haiti Partners, a senior consultant for DAI, and a board member of the philanth ...more
“God wouldn’t expect us to love our neighbors in the best ways possible.” 0 likes
“Anger, guilt, sadness, determination, paralysis: one or all of these emotions may surge in us as our attention is drawn to the injustice of the world and to our own desire to make it a little more just.” 0 likes