Start by marking “Nick and June Were Here” as Want to Read:

Nick and June Were Here

Nick and June were best friends for years, until their relationship suddenly turned into something more. Now, June is coping with a new diagnosis of schizophrenia, a secret she asked Nick to keep for too long. Between managing her symptoms and her parents, June is just trying to keep it together. Nick is a reluctant car thief, supporting his aunt with the money and focusin ...more
Published February 12th 2019 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Nick and June Were Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nick and June Were Here

Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nick and June Were Here is a contemporary young adult novel that's a fast read. The problem is that it's too fast. It tries to address adolescent onset schizophrenia, realizing you need to make hard choices, the ceaseless grind of poverty, life in rural America, death of a loved one, and at least two or thirty other things.

The writing in Nick and June Were Here is good, which is what makes the novel so frustrating. If the author had chosen to just focus on June's terror as she deals with the rea
Kelly Brigid
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Your future will look different, but it's still a future and you're still in it."

Nick and June Were Here is a spur of the moment read that I greatly enjoyed reading through! This is by no means a soft, fluffy contemporary, but rather, an endearing story about two broken individuals, struggling to find a way to cope with elements not wholly within their control. This is my first experience reading a novel that deals with a teen suffering from schizophrenia, and I personally found it to be qu
Dahlia
Dec 19, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Well, that was pretty gutting, but also somehow optimistic? I like Shalanda Stanley a lot, man. It's such a mark of a compelling book now if I can actually finish the electronic version, and I read this one in a single day.
Samantha (WLABB)
Warning: This was not a fluffy, simple, two-teens-in-love story. This was a story of a love that survived and flourished despite some really difficult circumstances, and about the tough choices one must make for those they love.

• Pro: My emotions were all over the place reading this book. Both Nick and June had serious issues to deal with. Nick was trying to escape a life of crime, and June was dealing with her recent diagnosis of schizophrenia. These were the really painful parts, but the parts
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
*** Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of NICK AND JUNE WERE HERE by Shalanda Stanley in exchange for my honest review.***

3.5 STARS

After a psychotic break, June is diagnosed with schizophrenia. Her best friend/boyfriend, a reluctant car thief hopes his destiny isn’t prison like his father. Neither makes good decisions and the results may be catastrophic.

Writing schizophrenic narrators authentically is difficult, because disorganized thinking is a major component of the co
Jen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Two teens are determined to stay together in a world trying to tear them apart. Nick and June have always been best friends until recently, when their relationship became romantic. Now June is on the cusp of being diagnosed with schizophrenia and Nick is arrested for stealing a car, as he desperately needs the money. June is in the hospital and Nick is in jail until they decided to run away together. Will they be able to stay together and fight the forces keeping them apart?
⭐⭐⭐
What I thought was
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
The year is half over, when will we get news on a release date? :/
Joanna Bennett
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
eARC provided by publisher through NetGalley

Nick and June Were Here is about two teenagers in love trying to stay afloat when their both faced with harsh reality. June has always been the good one and figuring out her plans for college while Nick has had a rough life since his mother left and his dad is in jail for the same thing he is doing now. Both are opposites but love makes you do questionable things as they set off on an adventure together.

I enjoyed the plot of the book and how it touched
Jenn Conwell
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Nick and June have been best friends for many years. A recent relationship change has happened due to the fact that Nick and June are closer than ever: boyfriend and girlfriend. The two of them are struggling with big issues on their own. June is experiencing some scary mental illness symptoms, only to be diagnosed with schizophrenia not much later. Nick is trying to make up for lost money from his father's poor decisions by involving himself in illegal matters. Can the two of them work through ...more
Lana
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart went out to Nick and June in this passionate story overflowing with young love. A love so intimate and powerful you’d think it could survive anything (I believed it when I was a teenager too!) Except Nick and June have so much going against them that it is absolutely reckless for them even to be together. As a parent, I was scared to death for them both as I tore through the pages.

I won’t give too much away as to where the story takes them but once I got into it, I had to know how it wo
Sabrina DiRoberto
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nick and June were here by shalanda Stanley

4⭐

Thank you to NetGalley and Random house children’s for an E-arc in exchange for an honest review.

June, a young teenager going through a mental breakdown. Months of not knowing what’s going on and months of trying to hide her secret.
Nick, a young car thief that hasn’t known anything else in his life other than being madly in love with June.

Best friends and now madly in love with each other, they try to take their life into there own hands. After Ju
Jypsy
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Nick and June Were Hear is a story of young love and serious issues. June is schizophrenic. Nick is a criminal. They face the challenges together. Here, however, is the irony: Nick's problems come from his own decisions and bad choices. June's mental illness is something that is not her choice and doesn't allow her to make decisions. Her illness decides for her. The story is intriguing and engaging, but I don't like the characters together. I'm in the middle here because there are good and bad t ...more
Staci Vought
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Nick and June so much. This story reminded me of All the Bright Places mixed with Turtles All the Way Down....it’s a beautiful love story with a highly engaging (but sometimes implausible) plot. I knocked the rating down a little due to a plot element that remained up in the air. I loved their story from start to finish. I want to know what happens next!
Tiffany
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Amanda
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A special thank you to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this ARC. This one took a bit to read because of health reasons and other books, ha!

I really don't know anything about Schizophrenia other than bits and pieces of what I read in a book or see on a TV. The story starts off with June having this habit of writing down everything. She asks for the exact time of the thought as she's writing. Nick is more than happy to tell her.

June knows something is wrong, but can't b
Misty
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought this book would be a bit different than it turned out. The blurb hinted at your typical bad boy/good girl romance but it also blatantly told us this book was about schizophrenia, or at least a girl learning to live with a new diagnosis. Don't get me wrong, I know teens are reckless, impulsive and selfish but I felt with this book the author went a little overboard with all these things for something. Shock factor? Angst? I'm not totally sure to be honest. It just seemed a bit much and ...more
Valerie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
There’s something.. different about starting a book that you know won’t end in a happy ending. At least not a traditional happy ending that we as readers of YA literature have sort of grown to expect.

Ever since I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, I’ve sort of tried to read as many books with characters who have a mental illness. Nick and June Were Here is one story whose likeness is one I have never read. Everything about this book was written in a way that you couldn’t help but feel for
Michelle
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: schizophrenia
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Knopf Books for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

June and Nick are an interesting pair because they care so deeply about each other, but its not about romance and they very much live different lives. Each narrates different chapters of the book as they go through their lives (sometimes separate, sometimes together). June imagines life at college with her friend Bethany with hope while Nick remains hopeless
Tera
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Nick and June Were Here is the perfect YA title alone to pull me in. The blurb made me slightly more skeptical, but YA books dealing with mental illness are one of my favorites so I figured I’d give this a go!

I’ll preface by saying the writing was exceptional as I was able to read the story very quickly. And it was overall enjoyable. The parts I didn’t like are parts other people may really enjoy.

June is ridiculously smart and comes from a supportive and loving family. Nick is the boy from the
Brittany
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Netgalley provided me with a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review

June and Nick have an intense, romantic and intoxicating relationship. I was drawn to them immediately...the scene where Nick was drawing June in the barn in the beginning had me reminiscing of old, YA romances from the 80's...and I loved it.

However, the pacing really drug during the middle 25% of the novel for me, and I found myself having to force myself to keep going. The last 40% was fantastic, in a pun
Carrie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
June's friends have noticed that June isn't the same Jane anymore. She gets lost, she hears voices and is acting strangely. When June has a mental breakdown she gets diagnosed with schizophrenia. At the same time her boyfriend Nick is trying to keep everything together. With a dad in prison and a mom who moved away, Nick has been supporting his aunt by stealing cars. But when he steals one car too many it threatens his relationship with a very fragile June.

This was an unexpected read. I went in
Michelle Kidwell
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing

by Shalanda Stanley
Random House Children's
Knopf Books for Young Readers
Teens & YA
Pub Date 12 Feb 2019

I am reviewing a copy of Nick and June Werw Here Through Random House Children’s and Netgalley:

Before their relationship became more serious, Nick and June had been friends but now they are in a relationship. June is dealing with a new diagnosis of Schizophrenia and all that entails. She struggles as she tries to manage her symptoms.

Nick has his own story, he is a relu
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Susan
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is an incredible look at the process of succumbing to schizophrenia. Slowly June is falling apart. Her best friends Nick and Beth are helping her hold everything together but it eventually becomes too much. The journey is heartbreaking and well written by Ms. Stanley. But while June's story was compelling, life isn't simplistic so there was also the story about Nick following his father's footsteps and becoming a car thief. Of course he doesn't want to do it and of course he is forced ...more
Lovely Loveday
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nick and June Were Here is a contemporary young adult romance novel that is sure to tug at your heartstrings. An endearing story of two broken souls that are struggling to find a way to cope with things that they cannot control. This insightful and intriguing story about a teen who is suffering from schizophrenia and the loving message that you are more than your mental illness. Written from two points of view you will fall in love with Nick and June from the very beginning. The characters are r ...more
DJ
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Nick and June are best friends from a small town that grow into more. They are both scared of being stuck in their town with limited options for the future. When June is faced with a diagnosis of schizophrenia and Nick is arrested for stealing cars they decide to run away together. I appreciate the the appearance of a character with schizophrenia but I just didn't ever connect with her story. This story is gre
Caroline
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, read-in-2019
This was definitely a different take on mental illness. When you deal with schizophrenia in books, they usually don't actual have the words that some people struggle with.

Nick was a strange character, there were moments when I loved him and what he did for June and there were other times were I was genuinely furious with him for being just a bit selfish.

June has an amazing relationship with her parents and her therapist, which is something you don't see very often in books where they have thera
Krista (BunnyxBooks)
Actual rating: 2.5

I hate that I ended up really disappointed with this book. It has so much potential but I feel like the author is inexperienced and tried to do way too much in one book. I liked the ideas and where she was going with them but they never quite made it there for me. That being said the atmosphere and visuals this book gives are stunning. Given a lot of work and time, this story could be amazing.

I was given an ARC of Nick and June Were Here by the publisher through NetGalley in ex
Gina Adams
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
**copy kindly shared for review by the publisher and NetGalley**

This book was just okay. It would have made a much better movie. The story was decent but the characters weren’t developed well and it took 65% of the book before the characters even ran away like the synopsis stated. The plot points were dramatic and didn’t seem reasonable. Nothing was fleshed out fully. There needed to be like fifty more pages of descriptions.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Waning Age
  • Castle of Lies
  • Happily and Madly
  • Heart of Ash (Blood and Salt, #2)
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Earth to Charlie
  • The Best Lies
  • Dig
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness #1)
  • Virtually Yours