Start by marking “Nick and June Were Here” as Want to Read:
Nick and June Were Here

Nick and June Were Here

Nick and June were best friends for years, until their relationship suddenly turned into something more. Now, June is coping with a new diagnosis of schizophrenia, a secret she asked Nick to keep for too long. Between managing her symptoms and her parents, June is just trying to keep it together. Nick is a reluctant car thief, supporting his aunt with the money and focusin ...more
Expected publication: February 12th 2019 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Nick and June Were Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nick and June Were Here

PinkAmy loves  \u0026#x1f495; books\u0026#x1f4d6;, cats\u0026#x1f63b; and naps\u0026#x1f6cf;
*** Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of NICK AND JUNE WERE HERE by Shalanda Stanley in exchange for my honest review.***

3.5 STARS

After a psychotic break, June is diagnosed with schizophrenia. Her best friend/boyfriend, a reluctant car thief hopes his destiny isn’t prison like his father. Neither makes good decisions and the results may be catastrophic.

Writing schizophrenic narrators authentically is difficult, because disorganized thinking is a major component of the co
Kelly Brigid
Oct 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
The year is half over, when will we get news on a release date? :/
Lana
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart went out to Nick and June in this passionate story overflowing with young love. A love so intimate and powerful you’d think it could survive anything (I believed it when I was a teenager too!) Except Nick and June have so much going against them that it is absolutely reckless for them even to be together. As a parent, I was scared to death for them both as I tore through the pages.

I won’t give too much away as to where the story takes them but once I got into it, I had to know how it wo
Amanda
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A special thank you to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this ARC. This one took a bit to read because of health reasons and other books, ha!

I really don't know anything about Schizophrenia other than bits and pieces of what I read in a book or see on a TV. The story starts off with June having this habit of writing down everything. She asks for the exact time of the thought as she's writing. Nick is more than happy to tell her.

June knows something is wrong, but can't b
Michelle
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: schizophrenia
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Knopf Books for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

June and Nick are an interesting pair because they care so deeply about each other, but its not about romance and they very much live different lives. Each narrates different chapters of the book as they go through their lives (sometimes separate, sometimes together). June imagines life at college with her friend Bethany with hope while Nick remains hopeless
Tera
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Nick and June Were Here is the perfect YA title alone to pull me in. The blurb made me slightly more skeptical, but YA books dealing with mental illness are one of my favorites so I figured I’d give this a go!

I’ll preface by saying the writing was exceptional as I was able to read the story very quickly. And it was overall enjoyable. The parts I didn’t like are parts other people may really enjoy.

June is ridiculously smart and comes from a supportive and loving family. Nick is the boy from the
Brittany
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Netgalley provided me with a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review

June and Nick have an intense, romantic and intoxicating relationship. I was drawn to them immediately...the scene where Nick was drawing June in the barn in the beginning had me reminiscing of old, YA romances from the 80's...and I loved it.

However, the pacing really drug during the middle 25% of the novel for me, and I found myself having to force myself to keep going. The last 40% was fantastic, in a pun
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DJ
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Nick and June are best friends from a small town that grow into more. They are both scared of being stuck in their town with limited options for the future. When June is faced with a diagnosis of schizophrenia and Nick is arrested for stealing cars they decide to run away together. I appreciate the the appearance of a character with schizophrenia but I just didn't ever connect with her story. This story is gre
Bookworm LLC
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
Nick and June Were here is an amazing story of friendship and the lengths people will go to stand by their friends side.
I was very impressed with this book and the authors accurate ability to catch so much of the mental pain people with this disease go through.
Can't wait to read more by this author!
Dane
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Masterpiece.
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
Sep 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2017
i just want this book so badly like how do i express this properly
Kookie9200
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGallley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book in return for my honest opinion.

I thought this was a sweet, heartfelt novel. Nick and June are childhood friends who grow into more. Their relationship is sweet and supportive, and I liked that it was also realistic. The book doesn't shy away from the fact that their relationship is encountering issues that may very well tear them apart.

I liked that this book touched on mental illness, but didn't dwell there. The subj
Ruthsic
Gaby
Aria
Kim
Shalanda
Dec 08, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote