Start by marking “Homecoming” as Want to Read:

Homecoming

A historical holiday story of homecoming and second-chance romance by NAACP Image Award Nominee, Beverly Jenkins.

In 1883, Lydia Cooper is happily traveling back home to celebrate the simple joys of the holidays when an unexpected complication appears in the all-too-distracting form of Gray Dane, the man she loved as a girl; the man she left behind. Gray, a soldier, is
Published December 7th 2015 by NYLA

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

Start your review of Homecoming
Deena
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beverly Jenkins can flat out write, but her historical romances are where she really shines, IMHO. What's better than getting a wonderful, passionate love story and a history lesson all in one? Nobody does it better, than our dear Ms. Bev! This is a novella, so I tried to read it slow, so I could savor it, but Ms. Bev has a way of drawing you in from the first page that makes it virtually impossible for me to read her books slowly.

Can't wait to read Forbidden! Come on January!!!
Donna Scoggins
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Homecoming was heartwarming, steamy, and shared history as only Beverly Jenkins can! Merry Christmas to me!
Evaine
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is the first novel by beloved doyenne of the historical romance genre, Beverly Jenkins, that I have read. I was concerned. Everyone loves her so much and my track record with hugely loved and highly touted works is iffy at best.

Well, I liked the premise. A second chance at love type of thing, with a school teacher, headmistress, and a buffalo soldier. Mature characters both. Lydia comes back to her childhood home from Chicago and crosses paths with Gray Dane, her first love. Turns out that
Sabura Rashad
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Too short

I love her writing but this was way too short. It could have started earlier with their youth and young love, given more to the back story of her time with her aunt and his time as a soldier, his marriage, her engagement, and more. So any opportunities missed. And very little integration of the historical events of the time as her other books did.
Sharon
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Die-hard Fan

Beverly never fails to satisfy her readers. I truly enjoyed this novella of how love conquers all and that there is no expiration date on love. Thanks again Beverly!
Cherrie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very heartwarming, well written, quick read that made me want more! This is my favorite era to read. Very romantic and one of great hope that real and true love will win!!!
Pat Logan
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love anything Beverly Jenkins writes!!!!!;

Love her, her characters. Her strong men & women!! I recommend her writing to everyone. Men would learn much, if they would read her!!
Cataluna6
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, read-in-2017
Short and sweet introduction to Beverley Jenkins. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Natalya | TheIslandReader
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this novella!

I swear that I had no intention of buying a book this holiday season. Trust me, I have no reason to. I have at least 50 unread books on my shelves and let’s not even count the ones on my Kindle. I’m actually on a book buying cleanse (this does not include pre-orders I’ve already made) until March. Honestly, I was only on Amazon to purchase a Christmas present when I scrolled through my recommendations. Big Mistake.

Lo and Behold, I saw that Beverly Jenkins released a new
Marlene Roseboro
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Homecoming

I so much enjoyed this novella by Beverly. She is one of my favorite author's. She puts you right in the scene. Have read 2 more off her books in the past 3 days. Can't wait for her next book to come out. Would recommend her to my friends. Thank you, Beverly.
Kimberly
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a sweet holiday story set during a historical time period. I truly enjoy this author's novels and can't wait to reach my goal of reading her entire collection. I am almost there. Happy Reading!!
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
I have missed reading Ms Jenkins and look forward to reading more by her. She has a wonderful way of developing her characters into people that, interesting or not, are believable and nontheless real.
Loretta Dozier
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story was to simple and predictable. Easy read. Thanks for the mention

Of the Buffalo Soldiers. Thank you for giving us some much needed African American history. Waiting for the next adventure.
Erica
Dec 22, 2015 added it
Great Read!

The only problem I had with this story is that it was too short! I love Ms. Beverly's novels and I have not read one yet that was a disappointment!! Great read!!
Nedra N
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT!

Another great book by Beverly Jenkins . I truly enjoyed it. This is my eight book I have read by her and they are all awesome
Marlena Floyd
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A+

Loved this story. Was hoping the whole time that they would have a family, so glad it happened. Love Beverly Jenkins. Wonderful storytelling.
Shea
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good
Cynthia Taylor
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
True Love Conquers All

Lydia has scars that are unseen but festering. Dane, although wronged Lydia in the past, still loves her! The journey to realization and acceptance is sweet!
Virginia Yancey-Haile
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent

I truly enjoy Ms. Jenkins books. This one was short but outstanding. She grabs your attention and hold you until the book has ended, leaving you wanting more.
Yolanda baines Purnell
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I love Beverly's characters and the personalities that she gives them. This book touches all the emotions. Short story Full bodied
Bebe20018
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really short story but with all the Jenkins magic. Loved it with a surprise happy ending.
Deirdre Davis
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love in the winter

Gray & Lydia could melt the snow in Sumpter!! So loved this historical novella. Ms. Jenkins is the best! This was just right for my holiday reading.
Carla wynn
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want more! Ms. Bev has done it again. The combination of history and romance keeps you turning the page.
Angie
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it as always!

I love the true and sited history found between the pages of a Beverly Jenkins novel! Love love love it!
sharon hall
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful love story

Love all Beverly Jenkins' books. They always leave you waiting for the next book. I will wait for the next book to come out.
Thanks for a great read.
Bridget
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Michelle
Shelves: 2016-books
Wonderful!!!!! If only it was longer......
Nicole Samuels
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good

I enjoyed this book. I would have rated it higher if it were longer. This was a great storyline but I wanted moooooooore. !!!!!!!
Kizzie Edie
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another good one

Ms. B never disappoints. Great short story for the holidays. Looking forward to what's to come. Thank you Ms. B!!!

• Be Not Afraid
  • Forget Me Not (Catalina Cove #2)
  • The Rules (The Johnson Family #4)
  • Passion Rekindled (Brooks Family, #1)
  • Do Over (Brooks Family Book 2)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • A Song for You: My Life with Whitney Houston
  • Two Nights in Paris (Brooks Family Book 5)
  • His to Claim (The Westmoreland Legacy)
  • A Lesson On Love (Jenkins & Sons Construction Series Book 3)
  • A Passionate Love (The Bennett Triplets)
  • Safe With Me (Falling For A Rose Book 1)
  • Wild Thoughts (Brooks Family, #3)
  • Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition
  • Enough (Falling For A Rose Book 2)
  • A Game-Changing Christmas (In The Heart Of A Valentine #4)
  • An Unconditional Freedom (The Loyal League, #3)
  • With Your Permission (In The Heart Of A Valentine #5)
Beverly Jenkins is the recipient of the 2018 Michigan Author Award by the Michigan Library Association, the 2017 Romance Writers of America Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as the 2016 Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award for historical romance. She has been nominated for the NAACP Image Award in Literature, was featured in both the documentary Love Between the Covers and on CBS ...more
“Restating her refusal to marry him and making him believe it once and for all seemed necessary, however, so she said, “Dinner would be fine.” 0 likes