Start by marking “The Renegades (The Renegades #1)” as Want to Read:
The Renegades (The Renegades #1)

The Renegades

(The Renegades #1)

When a deadly virus overruns the small town of Castle Rock, Nevada, a group of misfits must band together to defend their town from Zombies.
This is a full standalone novel. Book 2 AFTERMATH and Book 3 FORTRESS are now available.
Published December 7th 2015 by Direct Response Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Renegades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Renegades

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Dystopian YA List
226 books — 127 voters
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie RyanThe Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie RyanRot & Ruin by Jonathan MaberryThe Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie RyanHollowland by Amanda Hocking
YA Zombie Novels
269 books — 806 voters

More lists with this book...

kelly Titus
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't stop reading! A one night read

Loved the story line I read a ton of zombie books and this was one of the best. Can't wait for the next one in series
Ali
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was widely disappointed with this book. The plot line had so much potential, but the grammatical errors, author contradictions and sudden character changes at the end of the book jaded my perspective.

The narrator's voice was that of a teenage boy - which matched the character - but it was juvenile and difficult to read at times.The author would contradict himself throughout the book. The narrator would say one thing, then a few chapters later would say that thing never happened. Finally, in th
Rebecca Conn
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book and had humor thrown in there.

This was a good book for a zombie book. There was humor and the reality of life. I liked the way that the characters learned about life and the fact that they were so young and made the decisions that they made. I really liked the fact that the decisions that we make have consequences and age doesnt make us smarter or better.
Mike Purdin
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really good

It is well worth the time to read this book, hope there is a part two and more. Glad I read it
Abbie
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
The characters in this annoyed me at the start, but they got less irritating as the book progressed.

It took me a while to get into this one, but it was an okay read overall.
Edward Rempala
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
It was a little slow getting started, But after a while it got better. Wished there was a book 2.
Diane T.
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, zombie
I was disappointed in this story. I thought it would be along the lines of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, horror with sarcastic quips and humor. Instead I was force fed spoonful after spoonful of teen angst in between horror and gore. I like soap operas but spare me the teenage "Oh woe is me! My life sucks (even though I have a good place to live, food, clothes, & extras)! This town is sooo boring & nothing every happens here! Oh yeah, my Dad just doesn't understand me, too!!!"

Please! I live
Chrystal Roe
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cool!

Great book with fun characters. It has lots of zombies a few bad guys and many pairs of ruined underwear! This is the story of a bunch young adults trying to find their way through the zombie apocolypse. It's a fun story.
Ian Denner
Dec 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not good

I did not enjoy this book at all. Despite it being advertised as action-packed, loads of laughs etc. I think I must have missed all the action and laughs and just found the family squabbling and bitching. And not very much action. Not a good zombie apocalypse book.
Kessi
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great character description. Feasible Zombie world. Kept me enthralled from beginning to end. Very much enjoyed the interaction between the group of friends. Good suspense and imaginative plot. Really happy to have discovered this author.
Anjeanette
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Renegades

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. There was a lightheartedness to the story along with the usual zombie gore. Can’t wait to read the next book.
Ozsaur
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
It took a few pages to get used to the protagonist's voice. The main character is a snarky teenager who is about to graduate from high school. He and his friends are trying to make their last few months together memorable. It was a good start but the first person narration took a bit of getting used to.

I enjoyed the book for the most part -- good action scenes, a couple of interesting characters, and good use of the town of Castle Rock. I think the town was a great setting for a zombie apocalyps
Cesley Travis
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable- possible SPOILER!!!!!!!

If it would've had a way to rate 3.5, i would've preferred choose that. It was an enjoyable enough story, and though not outrageously riveting, I still wanted to read it. I did like the characters as they were more realistic goofy, unprepared, and not superhuman with navy seal or marine backgrounds who automatically knew the survival skills of a mountain lion/ native American Indian. More believable than most but still of course as far fetched as any zombie apoc
Isaac
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: zombie lovers
I overall liked The Renegades. This is one of the better zombie thrillers I found. The story is told mainly from the first person perspective of Johnny "Be" Goode from a small former mining town in the middle of nowhere, Nevada. It starts with an annual event, Zombigeddon, an zombie themed event the town throws every year to attract tourists. What better cover for real zombies to slip in among the droves of people and start the slaughter.

The author sometimes made some simple mistakes that sort o
Joyce Stokley
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read

A small historical mining town + teenagers who are ready to get away
While doing a zombie run one is bite by a over zealous actor as they are watching fireworks folks started attacking others slowly it dawns on them will they be able to save anyone else should they try
Now throw in the living monsters now got something worse than the undead cause the living can think and plan things get real real fast in this fast paced book a great read could not put it down
Give it a seven on my scale
Gracie Love
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good read

Loved this story.....all the characters seem like they are all truly worth getting to know, there is no down time in this book, it gripped me in the first few pages and it was full steam ahead all the way!!! If you like this genre you will not be disappointed in this book...I'm headed to get the next one now. Thank you Mr. Jack Hunt for such a well written exciting adventure and thanks Amazon for allowing me to get my books instantly, I love my Fire!!!!
Jaclynz
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow

Completely different,and I loved it. I have been reading apocalypse books for a couple months now and have to say, some books get so repetitive! Not this one!! Great story, flush characters, left me wanting more without a cliffhanger, well what more can a reader ask for? A great read!!! (The only reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars is because I wanted a little more backstory on Lily and Dax. Did not take away from book at all, just my preference. Happy Reading!!
Talena Colley
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Story

This is a great read and would be enjoyed by any young adult. The kids in the book are average everyday kids instead of the Rambo's most authors write about. It's good clean reading. Very enjoyable. I will make one not so positive remark though. Some of the writing is repetitious. It's as though the author forgot that he already stated or explained that bit of info. Otherwise, very enjoyable.
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
The Renegades wasn't a bad book but I think it tried a bit too hard to be a John Hughes movie set inside a Zombie apocalypse. The whole Colonel sub plot was unnecessary and felt like it was included more as an afterthought. The story could have held its own just following the character's as they figured out whether to stay or go. Again, not a bad story but definitely not what I expected based on the description. Longer review to come...
Jason Rinehart
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny ZA story

I ordinarily wouldn't refer to a ZA story as funny, but this one definitely is. The first person narrative gives a great feel and allows a great sense of humor to color the story. Several grammatical errors, but not enough to distract from the story. Worth reading.
Andrew
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
~2.5 stars. Pretty good for a zombie novel; but, though there was banter between the characters, I was disappointed by the lack of humor promised by the description. The random changes in first person perspective that suddenly started toward the end also was a bit confusing. Even so, I'll probably read book 2 at some point when in the mood for a quick mindless read.
Theresa McKinney
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Totally hooked!

I really enjoy Jack Hunt books, I wasn't really sure I'd like this book but I'm totally hooked. I love the gang of friends and their humor, can't wait to continue reading the entire series.
Virginia Night
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute....the apocalypse from goofy teenage boy perspective

Cute....the apocalypse from goofy teenage boy perspective. Not super depthful but its got heart. I would definitely read more from this author
Simon Mendoza-agostini
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reading, a little rushed at the end but overall worth reading.

I love a good zombie thriller and this novel delivers it. I would have liked a little more development on the lives of the renegades characters, but I guess that would have been too much.
Camille
I'm not rating this because I didn't finish it. I got the free sample on my kindle. If it were free, I would probably give it a bit longer before quitting. But I don't like the story telling. It made it hard to get into the story and understand what was going on.
Fred Fronczek
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Easy read. Funny and at times witty

Good story funny and at times witty . enjoyed reading it. I would recommend reading it. Some references to drugs
Angela Wallis
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good story line

Enjoyable zombie tale, with likeable characters. Want to read the rest of the services now. Glad I found this author.
Joseph C. Portale
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read

Fun read Interesting fun read. I did like this book. It is a easy fast read. I recommend this book/author.
James Graf
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Decent story. Easy read

Easy read. Usual zombie novel. Will see how book two unfolds
Characters definitely have a since of humor. Very funny
Lynne
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow a huge fan now

I am a huge fan loved the book bought the whole series I love when your pulled into the book quickly and it keeps your attention through the whole book

• The Dying & The Dead 1
  • Toward the Brink: The Apocalyptic Plague Survival Series Book One
  • With Spring Comes the Fall (Living with the Dead, #1)
  • Since the Sirens (Sirens of the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Dead Days: The Complete Season One (Dead Days Season One #1-6)
  • Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds
  • Dead on the Water
  • Outbreak (Z-Risen #1)
  • Z-Minus I
  • Revelation (The Seven Signs, #1)
  • The Last (Zombie Ocean, #1)
  • Chaos Theory (Zombie Theories #1)
  • Storm (Undead Rain #2)
  • Trying to Survive (Part 1)
  • Machines of the Dead
  • Karen's First Day (The Infected, #2)
  • Where The Dead Men Lie (Secret Apocalypse, #3)
  • Zomb-Pocalypse (Zomb-Pocalypse, #1)
Writer of Horror, Sci-Fi and Crazy stuff that might make you choke with laughter or groan. Days of Panic is the latest from Jack Hunt.

The Renegades (5 books)
  • Aftermath (The Renegades #2)
  • Fortress (The Renegades #3)
  • Colony (The Renegades #4)
  • United (The Renegades #5)
“Loss is hard to cope with no matter how much time has passed. Time keeps passing, the ache grows less, and you eventually find yourself smiling again and not feeling bad about. Some might even think that it no longer affects you, but all it takes is a scent, a sound, or a dream and I could I find myself in tears.” 2 likes