Start by marking “Angel Catbird, Vol. 1 (Angel Catbird, #1)” as Want to Read:
Angel Catbird, Vol. 1 (Angel Catbird, #1)

Angel Catbird, Vol. 1

(Angel Catbird #1)

Lauded novelist Margaret Atwood and acclaimed artist Johnnie Christmas collaborate on one of the most highly anticipated comic book and literary events of the year!

On a dark night, young genetic engineer Strig Feleedus is accidentally mutated by his own experiment and merges with the DNA of a cat and an owl. What follows is a humorous, action-driven, pulp-inspi
Paperback, Graphic Novel, 80 pages
Published September 6th 2016 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Angel Catbird, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Heather V ~The Other Heather~ There's some mild sexual innuendo in places (e.g. the protagonist making remarks about wanting to rub himself all over his lady colleague's legs,…moreThere's some mild sexual innuendo in places (e.g. the protagonist making remarks about wanting to rub himself all over his lady colleague's legs, before he realizes he's now part cat!), but probably nothing much more than many of the books and tv shows pre-teens are exposed to. I'd suggest flipping through it to gauge your own thoughts about the art, but there's certainly nothing explicit or really subversive as far as I could see. :)(less)

Sam Quixote
Sep 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Quite a few genre novelists have turned their hands to comics in the past - Greg Rucka, Brad Meltzer, Gregg Hurwitz and Caitlin Kittredge to name a few - some of them successfully too, but there’s been a weird trend recently of literary writers having a go at comics as well. Chuck Palahniuk’s much anticipated sequel, Fight Club 2, and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Black Panther for Marvel are two high profile examples from the last year with Margaret Atwood’s Angel Catbird being the latest. And, like Palahn ...more
Maya
Wow, for a debut work this one sure is fantastic made. And what is even more awesome we get to see parts of how the story came to live and the idea behind it. I have to say the sketches and posters at the end of the story are just amazingly well done! I love the detail in each of them and I think that really made me like the story even more. All the different characters, each one of them super unique and fun, just a charry on the cake! Also the plot is interesting, fresh and besides the action a ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was super excited by the idea of this graphic novel, of reading one of my favorite authors in a new genre, etc. I don't want to sour the broth but I was left pretty unsatisfied.

If you read this as "aging author writes something fun because she's the queen and who will stop her," then I suppose it does what it is setting out to do. It shows in the silliness of the subject matter and in the seemingly strange PSA type infospots on cat health throughout the pages.

As a graphic novel, the art is w
Tatiana
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
Was this meant to be so ridiculously bad?
David Schaafsma
One of our greatest living novelists writes a story for a graphic novel when she is 77. Which doesn't mean everything she writes is great, of course, but when she does write a comic, you get curious. In an introduction, she reveals she grew up reading comics, a move she makes to approach credibility, but this doesn't still make her a decent contemporary comics reader or writer. She also is a bird advocate. So she creates basically this psa for preserving birds, suggesting cats stay indoors, with ...more
Erica

Atwood says in her introduction that she grew up on old comics, both in magazine form and in the papers.
It shows.

This is corny, written like a throwback but without any nuance that shows the author understands readers don't read comics in the same way anymore, that they're not quick pictorial stories for children, they're full-on novels for all ages. As such, this one does not hit the mark, not by a longshot.

In this particular installment, nerdy dude Stig Feleedus was he
Renata
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know, I know! I made this pledge to read at least fifty percent non-fiction books this year so what am I doing reading a comic book with such a goofy title: Angel Catbird???
Let me just say, sometimes we find books, as in recommendations from friends or reviews, and sometimes a marvelous serendipity sends books to find us as in the right book for whatever mood we are in.

Angel Catbird is a comic book by one of my favorite authors that found me when I needed some levity in my life.
A few
Jenbebookish
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
This is really sad because Margaret Atwood is a love of mine, and I adore her beyond belief, and I wanted this to be good. But it really, really isn't. MAYBE, MAYBE if you really love cats, you might be able to throw another star on top of my two stars, for the little RSPCA tidbits every couple pages, but I found them to be totally ridiculous. They just interrupted the flow of an already painful reading experience, and basically turned this into a pamphlet for cats rather than a graphic novel. T ...more
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
this is so weird but I kinda liked it? once you accept its strangeness, it's very fun. it has the same or even more puns (cat related, I might add) than any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. the story isn't that innovative but it's definitely something I wouldn't mind picking up again. also, amazing art because making good human/animal hybrids is hard af.

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2016/0...
Bogi Takács
This book could not decide whether it was a fun children's story, an ironic adult riff on classic superhero comics, or a PSA about how to keep your cat. Yes, that combination is as bizarre as it sounds. You can read it for the sheer "What was she THINKING?!", but I wouldn't spend money on it. (And that is before we get into discussing Atwood's recent public stances.)

Also, it made me finally put something to words that has been rather unformed in my head: I dislike stories where one k
Christine
I enjoyed this. I found the bit about educating the reader about cats to be a bit over the top, to be honest. Yet, the artwork and story were fun.
El
Oh, Margaret.

Let me just say right off the bat that I will read whatever volumes of Angel Catbird hit the shelves because I am a Margaret Atwood junky.

But I will not pretend like this graphic novel is a good one.

It has some okay features. Honestly, I was really into the artwork. I liked the concept, wherein this character turns into this great hybrid human-cat-bird-thing. I hope there will be more internal struggle over the cat-bird dichotomy because that could be really
Stewart Tame
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This feels a bit over simplified. Strig Feleedus (yeah, if you hate punning names, you're really not going to like this book) is a genetics engineer who gets into an accident with an experimental formula that basically gives him the combined powers of a cat and an owl. This draws him into a fight between cat people and rat people, and the story will be continued in the next volume.

Unfortunately, Atwood makes the same mistake that many "real" writers make in transitioning to comics by
Leonard Gaya
Why such a nice old lady messing around with flying cat-owl superheroes and nightclubs for cat people, not to mention giant rat men? Strange”. Margaret Atwood did predict that a comic book project such as this one, coming from an author such as her, would make a few readers raise their eyebrows. What she probably did not perceive is that it’s not so much the nature of the project as the quality of the final result which is surprising.

Atwood (according to what she says in the introduction to this“Why
Wealhtheow
Dec 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
A scientist invents a formula that accidentally turns him into a half-cat, half-bird superhero. His boss repeatedly tries to steal the formula in hopes of turning his army of rats into half-humans that can take over the world.

This was really, really bad. Incredibly clunky dialog, characters as flat as cardboard, very simplistic plot and action, the ONLY female character exists purely to spout exposition and get saved from danger. Instead of nuanced characters or humor, everything is a cheap cat-related pu
Bridget Mckinney
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Listen, I will read literally anything with Margaret Atwood's name on it, so I fully expect to keep on with this series. However, Angel Catbird is a profoundly silly book (so many groanworthy puns) that is very straightforward about functioning more as a PSA than as any kind of actually good story.

Margaret Atwood, being a cat lover, wants people to keep their cats indoors. Margaret Atwood, also being a lover of comic books and old enough and well-respected enough that she can do whatever she wants, al
Brandon Forsyth
Funny, pulpy, and even unexpectedly sexy, ANGEL CATBIRD is Canadian legend Margaret Atwood's foray into graphic novels, and her voice translates well to the form. Her foreword is rooted in her love of serials growing up, and there is a throwback sensibility to a lot of what happens here that's a lot of fun to submerge into. Looking forward to volume 2!
Charley Cook
I so wanted to like this but....was not great...at all
Sharlene
Perhaps my expectations were too high for this series but it just seemed all too simplistic. I know this is just the first volume but I've read plenty of first volumes where the characters were far better developed. I will continue to read the second volume (with far lower expectations).
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wow. This was really bad.

I'm really careful about giving out one star reviews, but this was definitely one star.

I'm gutted I didn't like this more than I did. I've read a few Margaret Atwood books before and have really enjoyed her narrative style, sharp characterisation and social commentary. Sadly none of that was present here.

The premise is is that the winner of Worst Comic Book Name Protagonist 2016, Strig Feleedus, has been headhunted to start on a top secret gene-slicing project at a re
TK421
The best part of this graphic novel was the introduction by Atwood. Otherwise, it was purrfectly unassuming.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

With a big name like Margaret Atwood, I was expecting something a bit more profound from ANGEL CATBIRD, even with the ridiculous title and premise. Unfortunately, I was left incredibly disappointed in what was a predictable, preachy book that although marketed to adults, I wouldn’t recommend to anyone over 13.

If you’ve never read any Margaret Atwood, she’s known for her social commentary, her depictions/discussion of women and being really
Marc
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not really sure who the audience for this comic would be... ? It's kinda silly. Heavy on the comicbook superhero tropes. I did enjoy the voice given to the cats. I'd probably have given it only one star if not for that. This panel alone was worth bumping it up a star:

I did learn one really cool word from Atwood's intro:
manqué
Kirsten
When I heard about this book, I thought it sounded dumb, but I put my faith in Margaret Atwood.

Sadly, it's just as dumb as it sounds.
Hannah Collins
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
This graphic novel had a lot of problems. And I totally understand that this was Margaret Atwood's first comic. I mean, she grew up reading comics in the 1940s and 50s and that Golden Age comic style is exactly how Angel Catbird is. I heard that she is up to date with graphic novels now (Sex Criminals, Bitch Planet) so if she has been reading new stuff then why hasn't she picked up how comics are done now by reading them? The pacing in Angel Catbird was stupid fast. It was constant action to act ...more
William Dale
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strig Feleedus is a scientist working on a splicing serum for what turns out to be a man who shapshifts into a rat. Strig loves his cat but they get into an accident (Strig is chasing his cat who is chasing an owl) in which his cat and the owl die and Strig is left in a pool of the serum.

From here on, Strig will be half-cat, half-bird when not in human form. He gets involved with the half-cat shapeshifters and their quest to foil the evil plot of the half-rat that Strig works for.

I
Kimberly
This was a fun first instalment in the series and I quite enjoyed it! I didn't take it too seriously, which I think is key, and I tried to forget that Margaret Atwood was the author. After all, it's so very different from anything else she's penned, so why compare?

To me, the story was very much in keeping with the Spider Man and Cat Woman stories, to name a couple. Through misadventure, the main character becomes a superhero (I'm assuming in this case as it's only the first volume).
Chad
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is so goofy (not in a good way) I could barely get through it. The character motivations are completely unrealistic. The premise is just dumb. There's all these stupid aside's where the people try not to act like the animal they are crossed with. The book feels like it was written by a preteen not an acclaimed novelist.

Received an advance copy from NetGalley and Dark Horse in exchange for an honest review.
Sarah (treesofreverie) McMahon
If you're a fan of cats, superheroes and Margaret Atwood, this is a funny little read to pick up! The humour in this first volume is rather corny but I rather liked this style. The artwork is nice with a simpler design and I quite liked the ideas behind the different characters. Throughout the book there are little facts on cats and bird safety woven in which I found was a nice touch. Overall this is a light but enjoyable read!

*Actual rating: 3.5 Stars
Mazzy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you love cats? Do you love superhero comic books? If your answer to both questions is yes, then this book might be purrfect for you. Very punny and pulpy (in a positive way!). This is the first time I've read anything by Margaret Atwood and I definitely didn't expect a character like Cate Leone (spoiler alert: she's quite the pussy).

• Avengers Assemble: The Forgeries of Jealousy
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 1
  • Harbinger Wars
  • Countdown to Darkness
  • The Graphic Canon, Volume 2: From Kubla Khan to the Brontë Sisters to The Picture of Dorian Gray (The Graphic Canon #2)
  • The Midas Flesh Vol. 1
  • Spider-Woman, Volume 2: New Duds
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Spell on Wheels (Spell on Wheels, #1)
  • The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza
  • Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond
  • Les Royaumes du Nord (Tome 2 - À la croisée des mondes)
  • Help Us! Great Warrior
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of po

Angel Catbird (3 books)