Jump to ratings and reviews
Some secrets are best kept hidden…

Anastasia Phoenix has always been the odd girl out, whether moving from city to international city with her scientist parents or being the black belt who speaks four languages.

And most definitely as the orphan whose sister is missing, presumed dead.

She’s the only one who believes Keira is still alive, and when new evidence surfaces, Anastasia sets out to follow the trail—and lands in the middle of a massive conspiracy. Now she isn’t sure who she can trust. At her side is Marcus, the bad boy with a sexy accent who’s as secretive as she is. He may have followed her to Rome to help, but something about him seems too good to be true.

Nothing is as it appears, and when everything she’s ever known is revealed to be a lie, Anastasia has to believe in one impossibility.

She will find her sister.

First published March 7, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Diana Rodriguez Wallach

13 books143 followers
Diana Rodriguez Wallach is a multi-published author of young adult novels.

Her most recent, Small Town Monsters, is a YA Latinx horror novel that published in September 2021 through Random House’s Underlined imprint. Her next YA horror, Hatchet Girls, will publish in hardback in Fall 2023 through Random House’s Delacorte imprint.

Additionally, Diana is the author of the Anastasia Phoenix Series (Entangled Publishing), a trilogy of young adult spy thrillers. The first book in the series, Proof of Lies, has been optioned for film and was chosen as a finalist for the 2018 International Thriller Awards for Best Young Adult Novel. Additionally, Bustle listed her as one of the “Top Nine Latinx Authors to Read for Women’s History Month 2017,” and Paste named Proof of Lies one of the “Top 10 Best Young Adult Books for March 2017.”

Diana is also the author of three YA contemporary Latina novels: Amor and Summer Secrets, Amigas and School Scandals, and Adios to All The Drama (Kensington Books). Amor and Summer Secrets placed second at the 2009 International Latino Book Awards for Best Young Adult Novel. She also penned a YA short-story collection entitled Mirror, Mirror (Buzz Books, 2013).

In 2011, she published a highly regarded essay in Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories (HarperCollins). It was the only essay chosen from the anthology by Scholastic to be used in its classroom materials. Diana also is featured in the anthology, Latina Authors and Their Muses (Twilight Times Books, 2015).

Diana taught Creative Writing through Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Talented Youth for six years, she has been a mentor for SCBWI and Las Musas, and she currently teaches Creative Writing Workshops in schools throughout the Northeast. She holds a B.S. in Journalism from Boston University, and lives in the Philadelphia area with her husband, two kids, and two cats.
Visit: www.dianarodriguezwallach.com

Social Media Links
Twitter: @dianarwallach
Instagram: @dianawallachauthor

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
25 (6%)
1 star
5 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 124 reviews
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,040 reviews1,502 followers
March 1, 2017
Anastasia Phoenix has always felt on the outs wherever she's been since her scientists parents have moved the family all around the world over the years. When they say there is going to be yet another move Anastasia is of course upset and refuses to speak to them as they leave on yet another trip but little did she know that would be the last time she would see them when a horrible accident happens.

Time passes with Anastasia living with her older sister, Keira, after their parents accident until one night Keira decides to throw a party. The next morning Anastasia believes Keira has male company so she leaves only to return to find a bathroom full of blood and her sister missing. Already having lost her parents Anastasia is determined to find her sister when it seems no one else even believes Keira is even still alive.

Proof of Lies is the first book in the new Anastasia Phoenix series by Diana Rodriguez Wallach. The series is a fast paced young adult contemporary mystery. The story takes readers on an action packed adventure as Anastasia tries to follow any leads she finds to try and locate her missing sister with the help of Marcus, a mysterious bad boy that vows to help Anastasia on her quest.

For the most part this was an enjoyable, fast paced young adult adventure although I will say there were a few times it had me thinking it goes a bit far to be completely believable. Even still with the globetrotting young lead off to save her family it's still a fun read with the pacing and story even with my thoughts of it veering a bit from reality.

Overall, an interesting start to this series that left me wondering what the author will have in store next.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Profile Image for Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows).
1,531 reviews316 followers
March 15, 2018
What a fun little romp! This had all the makings of the YA thrillers that we come to know - kick ass girl who can fight and hold her own, a family full of secrets, a mysterious foreign sexy guy to fawn over and action packed scenes. What I did like about this one was that she still made Anastasia human. When her sister is presumed dead, she didn't immediately go into super hero mode but wallowed in grief for a while before hitting up super spy status. Bravo!

As a lover of YA and some teen movies (i.e. Sky High, Kingsman, etc.), this one fit right into the mix. Forget plausibility - that's not what this book is made for. This was just pure fun. At least it was for me. And I mean fun in the you get what you expect from this read. I do wish it has some kind of levity in it. Way too much teen angst. I realize she lost her parents and her sister and is not even out of high school yet. However, there could've been a little bit from the other characters in the book to make this is a more well rounded read. Especially as a YA type novel.

A good debut for this series but I think it could've been well enough left as a stand alone. I do have book two that I'm beginning now so let's see where Anastasia ends up. I'm happy to follow her adventure for another round. 🙂

Thank you Entangled Teen for this copy!
Profile Image for Fafa's Book Corner.
511 reviews297 followers
February 7, 2018
Mini review:

I received this e-arc via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

DNF

This was very frustrating. I did not like Anastasia at all. In fact I didn’t like any of the characters.

It was a fast read. But honestly I didn’t even like the direction the plot was heading.

I do not recommend.
Profile Image for Elaine.
3,230 reviews97 followers
March 6, 2018
I have to say I’m so impressed by this story – what an enthralling teen suspense and mystery where there are so many lies being told that you’re not quite sure what the truth might be – and even if you really want to know it! Instead of a James Bond type adventure, this one has Anastasia Phoenix as the heroine who has none of his gadgets but still encounters plenty of danger, mystery and suspense. It is the first in a new series and I can’t wait to read more!

Anastasia and her sister, Keira, have never stayed in one place for long, always moving with their parents to new locations often on a different continent or in a different country. The tragic death of both parents leaves Keira to look after her younger sister. However, when Keira disappears, Anastasia is convinced she’s still alive and is determined to find her, little knowing just what this will entail! Get ready for lies and secrets to be uncovered, dramatic encounters with people from her past, journeys from America to various locations in Italy with hints, clues, chases, threats – and potential romance!

This is a fast paced, globe trotting adventure packed with surprises throughout so I didn’t want to put down. Now I can’t wait to read the sequel! I have no hesitation in highly recommending this to anyone who enjoys stories involving spies, mysteries and suspense!

I requested and received a copy of this novel via NetGalley. This is my honest review after choosing to read it.
Profile Image for Λίνα Θωμάρεη.
450 reviews32 followers
February 14, 2018
Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Teen for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow this was amazing..... I litteraly couldn't leave it of my hands....
Thrilling with fast and cinematic scenes, a book of action that it had it all.... Drama, romance, agony, guns, shootings, CIA, FBI, conspiracies and Italy... :)
I hope that 2nd book will be so wow as the 1st.

4 stars :)
March 13, 2018
Wow, what a (kicking a** and taking no names)fantastic debut!!!! Unfortunately,I was battling power outages the last few weeks and had a loved one in the hospital but not to worry this series made it so much better! This story completely captivated me and brought me to an adventurous place were I felt wild and free! Just, Wow!
Anastasia is completely a relatable character that you have no choice but to fall in love with her. I wish I could have shared my thoughts of this fantastic book sooner. I was completely blown away and just wanted to share my thoughts with the world. As you can imagine, the plot was AMAZING and fast paced that grabbed ahold of the reader. Reading through the store there was so much action, that I felt I was part of Charlie's Angels kicking ass/teenage ninja style! Lately I have had some really good luck with YA/Teen book and I realized they were mostly one publisher, I LOVE the books published by Entangled Teen! As I scrolled through my kindle I felt the intensity because this book had a great storyline, amazing characters that you could relate to, and enough action to blow you away! Without any doubt, I highly recommend this novel to anyone looking for a great story, mystery and suspense that you won't soon forget! As soon as I finished this novel I needed more and of course, I highly enjoyed the second novel as well! This is a series that I relate to and will fangirl about!!!😍🤗😘💚💙💛💝
Thanks so much to Entangled Teen and NetGalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review. I appreciate this opportunity and all views and opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Lori Murray.
371 reviews33 followers
February 5, 2017
Wow I really loved this book a lot as soon as I started it, I was drawn in to the story. I really loved Anastasia a lot. I was like you go girl, a lot throughout the book. I really love the character of Marcus, the love interest in the book, I thought he was pretty awesome, especially to Anastasia. I didn't care for Anastasia's sister Keira at first but I still didn't want anything to happen to her. I did really like Charlotte, Keira's friend, she really was an interesting character. I love that shes a bad as at hacking. Because how interesting is that for a talent?
The storyline was very interesting, and the mystery of who there parents really are and why Keira was a target was very intriguing. I also love that while something's were solved, that there is more books to come. So I get to following along as the stuff that weren't answered in this book, comes to light.
I voluntarily requested this book from the Author and publisher by the way of netgalley, and this review is my honest opinion on how I feel about the book. I would definitely recommend this book to individuals that love a great mystery, one kick-ass heroine, and just once to read an awesome story.
Profile Image for Jessica {Litnoob}.
1,158 reviews84 followers
March 29, 2018
While this books did take me a bit to feel fully invested, about 80 pages, I ultimately loved it! It has the same face pacing as The DaVinci Code and we were spirited all over Europe on this epic adventure. This was a fun who done it that was pretty good at keeping me guessing. Will totally be continuing on with book two!
Profile Image for Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer.
1,512 reviews5 followers
January 11, 2018
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Anastasia speaks 4 languages and has a black belt, having spent her childhood moving from foreign location to foreign location with her scientist parents. When they turn up dead her older sister, Keira can't accept the way they grew up nor the car crash that left no bodies. She doesn't care until Keira goes missing and with her Dresden buddy Marcus hits Europe to follow a trail of clues... will she learn the truth about her parents and find the missing Keira?

I love stories about orphans so I was really intrigued by the blurb of this book but did not realize it was about spies and espionage. This is not a favorite genre of mine though I've seen James Bond movies and have a penchant for girls who can kick ass when called upon. Going in its good to understand what this is about because its sprung on you suddenly after a rather disconnected beginning. I wasn't a fan of the setup with the school setting and the long mourning period for her sister. I understand the point of it and see it was necessary but it wasn't written in an engaging way for me. Like another reader who DNFed the book I probably would have too except I like to give books given to me for a review a fighting chance by reading to the end.

Not that the writing wasn't good at times, like here where the characterization of his brother from these few lines was so evocative:

“My brother has a lot of tattoos. Everywhere.” He ran his hands up and down his arms to suggest full sleeves of ink. “I have a hard time saying no to him, and he has a hard time accepting it.” He chuckled to himself, as if remembering something.

And the book did a one-eighty once we hit Europe. The real mystery started and the moping about her sister was at an end. There was some extreme whining over and over again about her parents lying to her, very repetitive and draining for me as a reader:

"Unfortunately, I knew the pain of that betrayal all too well—from every adult in my life."

Is this true to how this teenager would feel? Maybe, maybe not. I did feel like screaming at her: "Adults don't have a duty to tell teenagers the truth! Grow up!" I wish Marcus had been better used to filter some of her internal angst. I love dialogue and there was some heavy thoughts to explore but Anastasia never let them leave her head! When dialogue was used it was good, really good like when she speaks with Allen (though she kept "yelling loudly" a lot). Either have her act like a teenager and talk to her friends (the roommate and Marcus for two) or have her act like a young adult who acted more adult due to her experiences from her parents lifestyle.

These inconsistencies aside, Anastasia was written as a pretty smart girl who could figure things out because she was thorough and observant to details. She didn't jump into love just because it was there nor give in to hormones, it was a slow burn with Marcus. Not that he wasn't totally cool... I loved that he was Spanish and used Spanish when he spoke. He was very mysterious and you weren't sure if you should take him at face value or not. I believed the fights as there were written and I loved that they traveled through Europe. Also the background with Allen was nicely done as well as the way her parents manipulated the media. Loved that! Very believable to me as a secret organization. While the villain gave up a little too easily to me it almost worked and I respect that.

Normally I'd give a book with this poor of a setup 3 stars but actually I look forward to learning more about Dresden and his involvement. How will Keira change the next book? The twists weren't overboard at all but nicely balanced so that even though I wasn't surprised if another reader was it felt right either way. I'm also intrigued if the double agent idea put forth in the blurb actually has any merit (nothing about it is revealed in this book). These questions are enough to propel me into the next book!

BOTTOM LINE: For a teenage spy Anastasia made it happen!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

______________________
You can find this review and many others on my book blog @ Perspective of a Writer. See my special perspective at the bottom of my reviews under the typewriter...
Profile Image for Courtney.
1,529 reviews180 followers
February 10, 2017
WOW!! This book took me by surprise. James Bond, Jason Bourne and Spy Kids all rolled into one action-packed, suspenseful, mystery book. WOW!!

Where to start this?? Action - LOTS!! Suspense - edge of my seat when things really started rolling!! Mystery - I was going WTF a lot and trying to figure out how everything and everyone tied together, if they even did. I was just along for the ride with Anastasia.

I won't bore you with what you know - Anastasia parents are dead. Her sister is not missing and presumed dead. And she's now on this crazy-ass, hair-brained goose hunt looking for her sister after falling upon some new information that the police had yet to discover (you need to read to figure out how that happens, I am not telling you).

Quick run down of the main characters:

Anastasia - lost parents and sister - trying to find out what really happen to her sister
Charlotte - best of friend Kiera (Anastasia's sister) and also hacker extraordinaire,
Marcus - fellow Dresden kid and new bad boy to the area with hot Spanish accent

There are few others in this book that are very important to the whole plot but I will let you learn about them as they learn about them in this crazy yet interesting plot.

I found myself getting completely sucked into this whole book and needing to know what Anastasia, Charlotte and Marcus would come across next. It was hard to keep forgetting that Marcus and Anastasia are teenagers and Charlotte is a new adult. But the shit they go through, just blows my mind. But it's also how they handle things and just go balls to the walls on figuring stuff out that reminds you of their age. So while I found myself being conflicted with their ages and how they, without any thought, jumped into things, it's also their reactions to things that allows their age to shine through still. (i.e. - no sane adult would just jump on a lead without digging for more information first, yet here these 3 go chasing down ideas that could get them killed).

Diana really wrote an intense and fast paced young adult mystery/suspense book. There isn't one time where the action or mystery slows down. There is a lot of minute details that add to the picture and I loved trying to piece everything together. I almost put together my own little timeline, suspect list and tried to figure it out on my own because I was that into this book.

If you love a great action-packed and suspenseful mystery book (YA or not), you will really enjoy this book. I truly highly recommend it.

I am anxiously awaiting the next book because yes, shit is just getting started in this book. Just when you think everything was coming together, that only unraveled another piece to the even larger puzzle.
Profile Image for Rosa.
143 reviews2 followers
February 26, 2018
Thank you to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Net Galley for granting my wish to review this book in trade for an honest review.

This review is also posted in my blog :

Review

This book is a unique read with a crime and mystery as its background story. The last time I read YA genre is something with dystopian theme or magical, so this is fresh reading for me.

Here we follow the story of Anastasia Phoenix, whose sister, Keira is missing. What’s left if a tub full of her sister’s blood and the memory of Keira’s previous night bed activities. Foul play was indeed involved in this kind of situation. What follows after this is a series of chasing blind leads, some running, emotional outburst and punching as well. Anastasia feels confused on who to trust because everybody around her seems lying. What would feel if your entire life was deemed fake? Your parents are not who they said they were? It’s a scary feeling.

The story is quite fast pacing, with false clues thrown all over the place. At first glance, the story feels like back and forth with so many repeated phrase : who, what, where with no real answer. I got edgy with anticipation for the big revelation. The plot gets a twist about 75% of the book where things get more clearly. Apparently, Anastasia is not who she thinks she is and Keira is the one that started this whole mess without realizing she did.

I like how the clues make Anastasia run all over the world. From Boston to Paris to Venice and last in Rome. It’s a long and tedious journey for someone so young.

The characters are obviously highly emotional. There are times when Anastasia just would burst into tears or scream or just shut down and don’t want to talk. The emotional swing fits the story quite well. What I like is although she seems like a stubborn teenager, but she shows a strong determination of an adult. Her relationship with Markus is kind of cute and sweet. My favorite part is when Anastasia encounter her sister’s kidnapper. It’s something that I think every girl should learn on how to defend yourself. The other characters like Charlotte, Julian and Markus are also quite emotional in their own way. So, yes, this is an emotional read that could get you carried away.

By the end of the story, they ended up helping each other. This bizarre team consists now of: 2 young women, 1 hacker, 1 money bag and 1 cute guy (how come though). I hope to be able to read the 2nd book : Lies that Bind and review it here.

Recommend for those who love to read crime and mystery that turns into a good thriller. Although this is a Young Adult genre, but adults will be able to enjoy it too since the plot is twisty and fast pacing.

Profile Image for LadyTechie.
766 reviews42 followers
March 4, 2017
Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallace is a completely awesome, exciting book. I received a free copy from Entangled Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Proof of Lies fits right in with one of my favorite topics to read about, in fiction and non-fiction, espionage and spies! Anastasia and her sister Keira are both in a "funk" even years after losing their parents to a car crash. Move after move. They move to new locations all over the world following their parents' work as engineers at Dresden. It has taken its toll on Anastasia. Each time she's been told this was home for a while so she has made friends and become involved in activities at her school in Boston. Then suddenly they are gone. She is left with Keira, who is just the age of adulthood herself, to finish raising her. Anastasia is trying to keep herself going and Keira appears to be going off the rails with partying, drinking and bad boyfriend after boyfriend.

Keira disappears and Anastasia is devastated by the way she disappeared and by yet another loss of a loved one. Their roommate Charlotte is there for Anastasia and she is doing what she can for Anastasia. But, things have changed. Anastasia is lost this time and Charlotte is doing what she can to help her find her way back even if it means to find out what really happened to Keira. Anastasia is convinced that Keira is not dead and is doing what she can to find her. Charlotte is a computer genius that is with her every step of the way and the search takes them across the world and they have no idea who they can trust because no one is who they seem, including Keira’s last boyfriend.
Proof of Lies is one of those books that resonates with the reader if they have a sibling, even if they are the older sibling who has been made responsible for a younger sibling even for five minutes.

The resentment, arguing and sometimes ill-treatment of that sibling. Parents do not mean to have a hand in that relationship, but, sometimes they do because they cannot help but treat the children different. Maybe it is not because they like one better than the other, but, because the children are different with different needs and personalities. The parents also have personalities that just seem to mesh better with one child, not because they like the other one less, but, because they have things in common. Sometimes, just the age difference is enough for the siblings to not have as close of a relationship as they could. Keira and Anastasia seem to have a pretty close relationship but that is put to the test with the loss of their parents. Keira’s disappearance makes Anastasia realize her part in how their relationship has turned. But, what is one of the best parts of this story is that Anastasia knows her limitations and despite all of them she uses the people and tools she must search for her sister. But, in the middle of understanding more about her relationship with Keira, she learns more about herself and her parents. Proof of Lies is the great start to an action-packed thriller with a great mystery and I look forward to the next book! Review can also be seen at LadyTechie’s Book Musings http://LadyTechiesBookMusings.blogspo....
Profile Image for Kimberly (Book Swoon)  .
437 reviews31 followers
May 15, 2017
My rating: 3.5 Stars

Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallach is filled with tension and suspense as a whirlwind-of-a-mystery unfolds.

I love books that feature a conspiracy in them and that is exactly what this book gives you. Plenty of action, twists, and a mystery set in Rome for a thrilling setting. If you like globetrotting and intrigue with a touch of romance in your reads, then you may just want to take a look at Proof of Lies.

Told through Anastasia's voice, we learn of her globe-trotting scientist parents, their subsequent tragic deaths, and the mysterious Dresden Chemical Corporation they were heads of.

Three years later, Anastasia is trying to fill the void in her heart and the guilt she carries over the last conversation she had with her parents. One of hateful and mean words she can never take back. To add to her confusion, she discovers the fact that her sister is researching her parent's deaths and keeping secrets from her.

“There are moments in your life when you know everything is about to change. Time isn't whizzing by, your mind isn't in a blur, you're in it, living it, and you know, consciously, that your world will never be the same again. You will never be the same again.”
― Diana Rodriguez Wallach, Proof of Lies.

When her sister Keira goes missing soon after, Anastasia knows she's in trouble and nothing is as it appears. The search will lead her to Rome, where everything she’s ever known is revealed to be a lie. With the help of her friends and a mysterious boy named Marcus, Anastasia won't stop until she finds her sister Keira.

Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallach turned out to be a fast-paced thrill with some great twist in the mystery.

I enjoyed Anastasia's voice and the author's use of it to slowly reveal clues from past and present. The romance was probably my least favorite. I liked both characters, but as a couple, I just didn't connect with them. What I especially enjoyed was the European vibe and gritty feel of the story and its slow reveals which made for an entertaining read.
Profile Image for Jordan.
672 reviews42 followers
March 13, 2017
Proof of Lies is what’s missing in YA and exactly what I’ve been searching for. An adrenaline rush of mystery and danger, an intriguing and twisty plot, and characters that keep you invested, Proof of Lies is at the top of my 2017 reads.

The mystery is epic. It sucks you in and keeps you invested. I was dying to know what happened to Keira. The clues are all there and they’re tricky. Anastasia is basically sifting through trash to find gold and ends up lucking out. She follows the barest of clues and with the help of some tech savvy friends the mystery gets progressively more engaging.

Read more here:

Profile Image for Lynndell.
1,475 reviews1 follower
March 7, 2017
Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Thanks to Entangled Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallach. Anastasia lives with her sister Keira in their family home after their parents died in an accident a few years earlier. Keira gave up medical school and works as a nurse to take care of her younger sister. The morning after a party, Keira disappears, leaving behind a bathroom full of blood and no sign of a body. A distraught and depressed Anastasia knows Keira is alive and needs help. Their mutual best friend Charlotte is amazing with technology and she's helping with Keira's case. Charlotte's parents are Anastasia's legal guardians now. As Charlotte and Anastasia hunt for clues, the mystery deepens and more people become a part of the mystery, either as suspects or helpers or both. I love this book and it made me realize how much I enjoy mysteries. Proof of Lies became unputdownable and I was pulled into Anastasia's life and her searches across the globe. The author's writing is flamboyant, smooth and believable. The clever writing and word play are entertaining, such as, "It felt like I was one giant headache lately - eat, sleep, breathe, Tylenol." Great humor! I appreciate the facts at the end of the story and the excerpt of book two of the Anastasia Phoenix series, Lies That Bind. Clean read worth 5 stars!
Profile Image for Sophie.
274 reviews
December 19, 2016
NetGalley copy in exchange for an honest review.

The Plot __

The start of this book is great. It lures the reader in, it grips them by the throat and does not let them go until it’s over. I read it in one sitting, because it was so burning, intense and compelling that I couldn’t stop! I needed to know!

The Characters __

Anastasia is a great main character. Her voice is nice to read, as well as realistic, in terms of character traits and temper. She sounds like a young woman, independent and brave but still in learning. It translated well on paper.

I loved Marcus. He is a great young man, supportive without being pressing and overwhelming. he forms a nice duo with Anastasia.

The characters were quite diverse as well, which I found was a great touch, much needed.

Do I recommend? __

YES! It was easy to read, greatly paced, very well-written! The style is great, the characters are loveable and realistic and the plot was very intriguing, up until the end. Now I need book #2.

If you like mystery, a GREAT first book in a new series, GO FOR IT!
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,759 reviews286 followers
March 20, 2017
Growing up Anastasia and her sister Keira moved from country to country with their parents as they were world-renowned engineers and co-owned a company called Dresden. They became part of a club known as Dresden Kids which are nomadic children whose parents move around every few months, and if they are lucky, then they can live in a place longer than six months. Boston was supposed to be their last stop, and their new home as Keira had just started medical school in Boston and the company's base was in Boston. That is until Anastasia's parents inform her they are off to Canada. Her parents leave and then Keira is awoken with the tragic news that their parents have been killed by a drunk driver. Keira becomes Anastasia's guardian, and for the next year they struggle, but they make do with what they have. That is until Keira has a Mother's Day Eve party with her nursing friends and the next morning their house is a crime scene. Keira is missing, and the bathtub is overflowing with blood and a lot of it. Anastasia, the only one who believes her sister is still alive will start an international mission along with her new best friend Marcus - a fellow Dresden kid starting off in Italy. What will Anastasia receive though is more questions as she discovers her parents weren't what they seem and that Keira's disappearance could be connected to their deaths? Proof of Lies was a fast-paced novel filled with lots of twists, and I loved the direction that the book took with uncovering Anastasia's parent's company. The only thing I wish was that we might have had a bit more interaction with Marcus and his family and how they are connected, though I did read at the end that they will be featured in the next book. Proof of Lies left me with lots of unanswered questions, so I am hoping that the next book will give readers like me a clearer view of what is happening and of the past and what has led to the current events.
Profile Image for Katherine Paschal.
2,124 reviews56 followers
March 7, 2017
The last thing Anastasia said to her parents was that she hated them. That same night they died in a car accident. Now three years later, she and her older sister/guardian Kiera have been attempting to move on, Anastasia with not letting people get close to her, Kiera with random hookups and alcohol. But after one night of partying, Anastasia only finds a bathtub full of her sister's blood. With all signs pointing to her murder, Anastasia refuses to give up.With the help of her and her sister's mutual friend Charlotte and the cute Marcus, Anastasia is on a mission to find her sister, regardless of everyone thinking she is dead.

​I did not know a lot about this book when I first started reading, but what I discovered was so much better than what I could have hoped for. I guess this could be called a teen mystery full of action, with adventure, suspicion, conspiracy, danger, world travel and a dash of romance. The story was so fast paced and engaging, with twists that caught me off guard and a questionable resolution.

As a side note, at times reality needed to be suspended when it came to the things a 17 year old girl could take on, such as trained assassins, figuring out things the police can’t and other such obstacles. The author did a great job of creating a back story as to why she can fight, why she knows languages, her random connections to all these odd people, her financial backing. I liked the concept of Anastasia, even if it is not the most realistic of books- it’s called fiction though, so it totally works.​

​The author created so many possible suspects, twists and potential motivations that I was kept on my toes the entire time (and the book really played on my emotions too!). Honestly, at one point or another, everyone was a suspect in my book. I wanted to stay positive like Anastasia that Kiera was alive, but all the signs pointed to the opposite, and I had no idea what Anastasia would find at the end of her journey.

I had no idea that this was ​the first in a series until I got to the end of the book. It makes perfect sense though, with all the twists and turns and huge bombs dropped that I need to know more about. I am exited to get my hands on the next book and to experience the action, mystery and danger right along with Anastasia.

I received this title in return for my honest review.
For more reviews visit my blog at http://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/
Profile Image for Myreadbooks.
1,453 reviews17 followers
December 21, 2018
For the time I've been wanting to read this book, that's it, no regrets.

Being a big fan of the literary publishing house Entangled Teen, I discovered this book on their website.

We find Anastasia there, who is the only one who thinks that her sister is still alive, she will go to great lengths to find her.

A first book full of suspense and twists and turns with a captivating story and engaging characters. I can't wait to read on because I love the author's pen so much.
Profile Image for Jolene Haley.
Author 10 books79 followers
March 7, 2017
Okay, this book was awesome for a number of reasons.

1. It’s a girl spy book. HELL TO THE YES AMIRIGHT. There are far too many spy books out there, and not enough girl spy books and the fact that this was the case with Proof of Lies made me very happy.

2. Travel: I don’t know about you but I don’t have the cash to travel to Italy. But here I was, sitting in my dreary tan cubicle at lunch time, and I was transported away to the beautiful country of Italy. The imagery was fantastic and the author painted such an excellent picture, I felt like I was there with the main character.

3. Voice: The author has a fantastic voice. I loved the main character and she was believable. I cared for her right off the bat and I wanted things to work out for her! It wasn’t as easy as me caring to fix her problems unfortunately but I loved that I cared, oh goodness how I cared!!!!

4. Pacing: I love fast paced reads and this is one of them! There doesn’t seem to be an extraneous, time wasting detail in this entire book. Everything was perfectly written and planned to move the plot forward and I found myself almost unwilling to function in a normal life until I could see how this entire thing played out! I loved the pacing. Fast. Furious. Wonderful.

5. Courage: I think that all too often society links courage with men. And it was so wonderful to have this heroine, determined to save her sister, with such a crazy amount of courage that there’s no doubt that Anastasia is a Gryffindor. She will do ANYTHING to get to the bottom of the mystery. ANYTHING. And that takes a great amount of bravery and courage to put yourself at risk to save someone you love. And Anastasia did it again and again.

6. Kissing: Self-explanatory and I don’t want to ruin it so read this book.

If you like mysteries, thriller, fiery heroines, well-written words, or adventure, you will LOVE this book.

You’re welcome in advance.
Profile Image for Roxanne.
1,052 reviews49 followers
March 8, 2017
Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for a copy of this eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Anastasia has had a rough few years, after having a fight with her parents they were killed in a car crash, and now unhappy with the way her sister acts and the men she chooses. Anastasia walks out of their apartment and to the coffee shop. When she returns her sister is gone, and all that is left is a tub full of blood.

At that point, Anastasia shuts down for months, until Charlotte her sister's friend brings her the information that a video of Kiera has been found, and suddenly Anastasia knows that her sister is alive and she will do whatever it takes to find her. When her clues lead her to Italy, she knows it is time to leave the country and find her sister whatever it takes.

But all the lies she has been finding out make it difficult to figure out who and why Kiera was taken. When she goes to her parents old boss for money and he suggests Marcus join her, Anastasia knows things are going to get serious.

Will they be able to stay alive? Can they figure out all the lies? Will they be able to find Kiera?

I couldn't stop reading this, I admit that parts of it seemed more than a little far-fetched, but I for one adored this book. I can't wait to read book 2, and wow the twists and turns. Definitely an interesting espionage thriller! Plus Marcus and Anastasia, swoon although I do hope there is a little more romance development in the next book.

I really enjoyed all of the characters that were introduced and I hope to see more of them especially Allen Cross, Marcus, Charlotte, Kiera and Anastasia. It will be interesting to see how all of the mysteries are unraveled.
Profile Image for Ankita Singh.
Author 3 books47 followers
August 25, 2018
Proof of Lies was an engaging, suspenseful read. The fact that it was a YA Suspense made it all the more fun for me!

I loved all the mystery about Anastasia's parents, but I hated the fact that it wasn't revealed in this book. I really hope it is in the sequel!

As for the characters, Anastasia was a really relatable character. The way her feelings for her sister switched because of the circumstances totally made sense. She wasn't a devout, neither did she hate her sister. Marcus was a sweet character too, and kinda seemed too good to be true.

The storyline was flawless, and I loved all the sleuthing Anastasia and Markus did together.

Overall, Proof of Lies was an engaging and fun read!
Profile Image for Kim.
6 reviews3 followers
March 6, 2017
When is the movie coming out?? Proof of Lies was not only a great YA thriller it could definitely hold up to any adult fiction audience as well! I could not put it down! The writing is great and the story is interesting, especially in the world we currently live in now! I’m looking forward to seeing how much more bad-ass Anastasia Phoenix can become! I love that the story takes the reader on a journey to different parts of the world. I definitely felt like I was travelling along with Anastasia and Marcus! It was so exciting figuring out who she could and couldn’t trust! Can’t wait for the next installment! I'm definitely suggesting this book to all of my teen library patrons and many of my adult patrons as well!
Profile Image for Fangirlinfinity21 (Sarah).
34 reviews18 followers
March 4, 2017
I received the E- arc copy from Netgalley for my honest opinion.
Proof of Lies

Major Spoilers!!
I really liked this story. It reminded me of the shows Castle and Freeform's Guilt. If you like mystery or thriller books, movies, or tv shows you will definitely like reading this book. The story is set up well and the writing makes you never want to put the book down. I like the main character Anastasia Phonix because, in the beginning, she was just your average teenager in high school. Her parents worked for Dresden a science company. She went on trips all around the world with her older sister Keira and her mom and dad. Later in the story, her parents get into a fiery car crash and die. It breaks her older sister Keira, who is put in charge of raising Anastasia which causes upheaval. Little did Anastasia know that her mom and dad have been spies for years! Keira goes to investigate her parent's history with being spies in all. It's Keira's thirst for her parent's double lives that in the end gets her kidnapped. Anastasia goes on a hunt to Italy to talk to a lead in Keira's disappearance, because the police don't seem to be finding out any information at all. She gets a lead from someone in Italy who may be of help. Anastasia arrives in Italy and finds out her parent much deeper and darker paths that they have lived all along. In Italy, Anastasia discovers who took her sister and that her parents are alive! In the ending Anastasia discovers another secret that I myself didn't see coming. She learns that Randolph Urban, the man who worked with her parents at Dresden and who happened to pay for her trip is her real father. Once the CIA gets involved they make Anastasia and Keira go into hiding for protection. Later her friends who helped along the way Charlette, Marcus, and Julian meet again. Now the sisters are determined to find out all about their parent's background. This is a really well-told story and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Holly.
576 reviews136 followers
March 13, 2017
To say I loved this novel would be to sell it short. I would give this 10 stars if I could. I fell into the story from the very beginning, and I stayed lost in it the entire time I was reading. At something like 400 pages, it was nice and meaty, and the plot took its time playing out, which is something I prize in a book (I can’t stand a rushed story). Although details were kind of slowly revealed, the reading experience was basically an adrenaline rush from the get-go. I felt my emotions going up and down right along with Anastasia’s, and at times I felt like *I* was in the middle of a spy thriller, rather than just reading one! I loved Anastasia from the first time we met, and I was with her 100% throughout. There honestly wasn’t a time when I was like, “Seriously? OMG, don’t do *that*!” or “Ugh, I hate it when characters say/do that!” or “No! Don’t kiss him! You *just* met him!” I’m serious, I had her back the entire time!

Now, I have been reading for a very long time - started reading at 2 1/2, and am almost 43 - and I have read a LOT of mysteries/spy thrillers in that time. Normally I can smell the ending from a mile away and have the suspects figured out in the very early chapters, even though I still mostly enjoy the reads. However, to find the rare story where I *didn’t* think I had everything figured out... well, that’s an amazing thing. It makes my enjoyment of the story that much higher, when the author manages to keep everything a mystery and even has me going after a few very well-placed red herrings. Proof of Lies is that book for me. It is really fantastic and such a thrill ride. I am confident that anyone who loves the mystery/thriller genre, especially in YA lit, will love this book as much as I do!

I also want to give a shout-out to Ms. Wallach for the use of actual historical details (which I didn’t know about ahead of time) and actual places (she’s visited every single place that’s featured in the novel). It’s obvious that she took great care to get details right, and I cannot stress how well that goes over with a reader. The details really do matter! Also, writing what you know can have a profound impact on the quality of your writing, and it is much appreciated by the reader. I also want to say, while I know she started writing this book long before the rise of our current leadership, the concept at the heart of the book resonates strongly in today’s political climate. I don’t want to say more than that, for fear of giving something away, which I very much do NOT want to do. Suffice it to say, old tricks can always become new tricks, repackaged by a different administration. Never thought it would be something we’d face in America, but... here we are. (And with that enigmatic ending, I shall leave you... bwahahahahaha!)

Long story short, READ THIS BOOK. I think everyone who reads it will love it, but you absolutely cannot pass it up if you are a fan of YA contemporary mystery/thrillers. It’s at least as good as - quite possibly better than - Julie Cross’ Eleanor Ames series, also released by Entangled Teen, so if you love that, read this! (and vice versa) I tell ya, Entangled Teen has been knocking them out of the park lately for me! Every single one of the last 5 or more I’ve read, I’ve loved.

Thanks so much to YA Reads and Entangled Teen for letting me take part in this blog tour, and to Entangled for letting me read an early copy of the ebook. I am so glad I read this, and I’m already ready for book 2! Bring it on!

Rating: 5 I’d-chase-this-book-around-the-world stars!
Profile Image for Roxanne Kade.
Author 2 books69 followers
March 9, 2017
This book was a fast-paced, action-packed, adrenalin ride that dragged me right into the dark heart of political espionage.

I was on the edge of my seat from the very beginning, and stayed, glued with suspense, each step of the way as Anastasia journeyed to find her sister, and ultimately uncover the truth that would change her life forever.

I can only imagine the fear that tore through Ana at the start of this book and it was heart-breaking to watch her as she went through the motions. Having lost so much in life, she was a true fighter and she really stepped up to the plate; even in the face of death.

This book was thrilling. It held me captive until the very last page, and I cannot wait to dive into the sequel. With so many threats hanging over their heads, and having found their way into my heart, I am intrigued to see how Ana and her friends will make it through yet another treacherous adventure filled with danger.
Profile Image for Sharon.
844 reviews
March 21, 2017
Review: 4 out of 5 stars

Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallach is the first book in the Anastasia Phoenix series and was a one day read for me, I couldn’t put it down! I always enjoy a good mystery / thriller and Proof of Lies was written very well.

Anastasia is the daughter of scientist parents who are constantly on the move, she speaks four languages and has a black belt in karate; when her parents announce that there will be yet another move she is extremely annoyed and upset but before this happens they tragically die in an accident leaving Anastasia living with her older sister Keira.

Things aren’t always easy for Keira and Anastasia and they do clash often but when Keira goes missing presumed dead, Anastasia will do anything she can to find her sole living relative, even if it means flying around the world to meet with questionable people to get her sister back; travelling with Anastasia is another Dresden corporation child – Marcus.

The plot of Proof of Lies is fast paced and action packed and I couldn’t quite guess who could and couldn’t be trusted! It really was a search for the truth throughout the whole book and many secrets were revealed. I was impressed by the world-building and I am excited to read the next book to see how it all plays out, especially with the exciting ending that we were left with.

We get a small amount of romance but it wasn’t at the forefront of the story, it also was a little bit of a letdown for me because of Anastasia’s hot and cold feelings; Marcus was great and understanding but I would like to see it further developed in the next instalment.

The secondary characters were each written well but I would like to get to know them more, especially Marcus who is still a bit of a mystery to me, we meet Anastasia’s closest friends but we also meet a few along her travels that I could never quite call friend or foe, as previously mentioned I never quite knew who could be trusted.

Proof of Lies was a thrilling read! It was mysterious, filled with interesting characters that progressed throughout the book and an exciting plot that left us with an ending where you need more.

I enjoyed Diana Rodriguez Wallach’s descriptive writing, exciting storyline and the build-up that she has left us with; I am excited to read Lies that Bind which has an anticipated 2018 release date.

Thank you to Entangled Teen via Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review Proof of Lies.
Profile Image for Em and Rosi (Bibliobibuli YA).
52 reviews36 followers
February 27, 2017
One of my favorite sub-genres of YA is spy thrillers. And I especially love when they are done well. International espionage and chases spanning countries are an absolute delight for me, as well as beautifully detailed European settings. I love when the author’s descriptions of far away places feels authentic, and Proof of Lies had this in spades and so much more.

Diana’s characters were full of life and strongly realized emotion. Anastasia’s grief, her loss, her heartbreak over her family was palpable. Her frustration, too. Her anger over the injustices served to her and her survivor’s guilt hung on to her thoughts and actions and permeated her relationships. How she dealt with her obstacles felt real, her depression relatable and, to someone who has battled depression in the past, achingly familiar. However, Anastasia’s need for vengeance wasn’t her entire character. Funny and witty, Anastasia had a dry sense of humor that I loved. It lightened up the more tense parts of the narrative and kept the more serious bits from falling into, as Anastasia would call it, a “funk.” And her relationship with Kiera? Diana wrote with a full grasp on the intricacies and subtle dynamics of sibling relationships. The book read with an innate understanding of these bonds and the delicate balance of simultaneously being murderously mad with one’s sibling and wanting to hurt anyone who threatened them.

My favorite part of the story, other than the strong sisterly bond between Anastasia and Kiera that gave the book life, was the bond between Anastasia and Charlotte. It was much more than a simple friendship between two girls who shared the same living space. Charlotte was an extension of Anastasia’s family, willing to risk just as much as Anastasia to rescue Kiera, but approaching the situation with much more caution and a much leveller head. I also loved how Charlotte functioned as a bridge between the two sisters when they were at odds.

As for the rest of the characters, the villains were menacing enough while not being over the top and Marcus, the love interest, was a sweetheart, though that may offend his leather clad image. The relationship between Marcus and Anastasia never overshadowed the plot, but played alongside the narrative nicely and felt believable. And my favorite part about it? It was never used to “heal” Anastasia’s grief. As long as a frustrating love triangle doesn’t pop up, or some random crazy ex, I’ll love Anastasia and Marcus until the end of this series. And there also was love to go around as there is a hint of something developing down the road for Charlotte.
With only a few hang ups, I’m still a little confused over the timeline of certain events that took place way before the book started, Proof of Lies spun an entertaining and dramatic web. The ending was satisfying, I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that the main mystery is solved, but so many more questions were raised and the long term story arc became much more twisty and complex. The biggest question I want answered, though, is: when will the sequel be released?
Profile Image for Stephanie Ward.
1,174 reviews115 followers
March 8, 2017
4.5 Stars

'Proof of Lies' is the fantastic first installment in a new young adult mystery series that fans of the genre are sure to love. The story follows Anastasia - a teen whose parents died a few years earlier and who's sister has been injured and kidnapped from their home. After desperately trying to find her sister, Anastasia stumbles onto the fact that Keira (her sister) had been looking into their parents' past before she went missing - and that it all seems to be connected. Anastasia won't give up on finding her sister - and the truth - no matter where it takes her or what she learns about the people she thought she knew. I really enjoyed the plot of the book. I thought it was fascinating and loved following Anastasia on her quest for the truth. It takes her across the globe and deep into the past - all of which I loved. The author wrote a tight mystery with lots of intrigue and twists that keep the reader guessing at what the truth is for the majority of the book. That's a huge plus for me, as most mysteries can't keep me as engaged anymore. There were times, however, that seemed to drag on a little bit - but that wasn't a big detriment for me as a reader.

I liked getting to know Anastasia and watching her grow as a person throughout the story. She's down to earth, smart, resourceful, determined, and fiercely loyal to the people she loves. She endures a lot throughout the novel, and she goes through many different emotional stages as well. Her character is definitely complex and unique, which is a nice change from most stereotypical teen characters. Another huge plus for me was the author's choice of writing style. The book is told from the first person point of view - from Anastasia's perspective. I'm a huge fan of this style and I'm so happy that the author chose to tell the story this way. It wouldn't have had such a good impact on me as a reader if it had been done in a different manner. Since Anastasia tells the story, we get to know her on a deeply personal level - which allows us to connect and identify with her early on and throughout the book. I'm so happy that this is the start to a new series! I'm eager to see where the author will take Anastasia next. I definitely recommend this book to fans of mysteries, thrillers, suspense, contemporary, action and adventure, and even romance.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for gem.
703 reviews23 followers
March 27, 2018
Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to read this book.

Anastasia is so cool! She’s the very definition of a kick ass character, literally in her case, and her physical strength is equaled by her emotional resilience as she is grieving over the loss of her sister. Whilst trying to uncover the truth she encounters a sexy foreigner and this becomes a brilliantly fast paced ya thriller full of mystery and suspense. It’s a bit like an older Ally Carter.

I will definitely be reading the next book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 124 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.