Start by marking “Rite of Wrongs” as Want to Read:

Rite of Wrongs

Honor thy father and thy mother.

Stress is a constant in Detective Miriam Rome’s life due to her heavy caseload. Now she’s facing an especially gruesome crime: a pediatrician’s wife has been brutally murdered, and a Bible verse written in her blood is found at the scene. As the tranquil city of Union Park, Texas, is left reeling, Detective Rome pursues every possible lead i
Published May 24th 2016 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Rite of Wrongs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rite of Wrongs

Start your review of Rite of Wrongs
Linda Strong
It starts with a doctor's wife. She's found at home, throat cut, with a biblical verse painted in blood written across the wall. Detective Miriam Rome and her partner have been called in to investigate.

A second victim is found with another biblical quote. Rome has a lot on her plate, but with a serial killer on the loose, everything becomes secondary to finding the person responsible.

Rome's boss instructs her to contact Father Augustine Treece for a profile regarding the biblical quotes. Father
Laura Salas
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The narrator makes a point of telling us that criminal investigations are not like what you see on TV shows. Fair enough. On TV shows, the investigations take over the investigators' lives and wrap up fairly neatly and make everything else seem less important. But in good TV shows, I CARE, both about who committed the crime and about the investigator and what's going on in his or her life.

In Rite of Wrongs, I wanted to care more. The murders here are brutal and ominous. A serial killer is on the
John
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was I able to figure out "whodunit"? Yes, but not all the twists lead there. Did I figure out "whodunit" concerning earlier murders? Again, yes, but not motive again. There were still unanswered questions very deep into the story. The ending, also, came as a surprise!

This tale makes for perfect reading, it keeps you guessing. There are so many new revelations throughout. The characters are engaging, and somewhat broken.

Grab a copy, but be prepared to find it difficult to put down!
Karen
As an avid reader, I'm always looking for great new authors. This is the first book released by a prolific author under her own name, and for me it was a disappointing first venture. It reminds me of the wildly popular Patricia Cornwell's early Kay Scarpetta, Alex Kava's emotionally dysfunctional Maggie O'Dell and Kathy Reich's flawed Temperance Brennan. The lead is very involved in her work, which wreaks havoc with her personal life, and which, in this case, becomes the main story. But if you l ...more
Paul
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy, fast paced read. The characters are mostly well written and consistent. I wish there was more of a back story or maybe more detail about the abuse the foster kids endured.

Great murder mystery deeply emotional and personal. I loved it. Overhauling well. Kept me reading for hours. Will look for others by Mica Stone.
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. That has no bearing on this review.
J FRANKS
Fast Paced and full of holes.

However the plot is weak. To easy for a whodunnit, and when you stop to think, some major plot holes. Such as, there is a team of 4 police and others working on this case, but what do they all do? Everything is done by the heroine, most of the major breakthroughs and all the errors.
Anastasia
It was good

I enjoyed it but it didn’t have me wanting more all the time. The climax wasn’t as exciting as I’d like. I wish there was more of a back story or maybe more detail about the abuse the foster kids endured. Also I was kind of wanting a better ending between Augie and Miriam
Patricia Barndt
Not so good!

Gave it two stars. Way to easy, knew from the first interview of the son that he was the killer. Sure the reason took longer to figure out but all in all not a great read.
Gary
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent read

Too much useless descriptions. More info isn't always a plus. Story line was good, but writing style was a little too cumbersome. I like descriptive writing, but not when it doesn't add anything useful.
Ruth King
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

Miriam finds herself investigating several murder cases as well as solving more personal ones. I loved the characters and plot design. It kept me guessing.
Linda McDowell
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Matt Dennison
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Loved the characters and the twists that came through the suspense of the case and the suspense regarding her private life.
Pippa
Jul 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly dreadful. Clumsy and lumbering, too much stating the obvious. Glad it was free, couldn't possibly recommend it to anybody with a brain. My first and last by this author.
Krystal
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first novel I've read by this novel (under her real name anyway - I'm not sure what her pseudonym names are) - however it will certainly NOT be my last!

This was one of those stories that not only started off strong, but managed to keep that steam going all of the way until the end. Added to it - the main character is so involved in her work that it interferes with her personal life (which I would think would be the case for people as involved in homicide cases as this character is).
Toni
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a pretty good and well written mystery/thriller. I really enjoy books where the author jumps right in with "action" on page one instead of going on and on about the main character life story. It grabs the readers attention and pique's their interest on finding out what will happen next. The only thing (which is so minuscule) I would've liked a bit more of was dialogue between this characters. A good thriller will leave the reader guessing until the very end and you will defini ...more
Lori
Thanks to Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley for the ARC amazon kindle ebook. This is my honest review.

Rite of Wrongs by Mica Stone is a well written police detective mystery. The plot and characters were well constructed, and the ending made way for more mysteries to come featuring Detective Miriam Rome.

My lack of enthusiasm does not come from the structure, or writing, but that female detective Rome is forced into hairy circumstances by her generally male dominated police force. It made me uncomf
skw
First, I need to say that I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. That has no bearing on this review.

I liked this book. I think it would make a good series. I'd read 'em. I'd even buy 'em. I found it easy to like the heroine, Det. Rome, and her partners, both current and previous. I found the chase to be engrossing. In fact, I stayed up really, really late to finish the book because I reached the point of no return, where I could no longer put the book down. (If I can put a whodunit down when I
Mary
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had to read the first chapter of Rite of Wrongs twice, just to be sure that what I thought I had read was really what I read. I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit apprehensive about the book after that first chapter. I'm not one who likes a lot of gore and bloody scenes, but I continued on with the book. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the book read. While the images were a bit disturbing, the words on the page seemed to make it all right in my mind.

The story is about a series o
Carol Keen
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, the author wants to be sure that you know that things aren't like they are on TV. We got it, loud and clear. One you moved past that you can focus on the plot. A serial killer is loose, targeting a rather selective group of targets. I don't mind the our main character is totally into her work. Miriam Rome winds up on the case of a killer with a Biblical flair. This killer is leaving Bible verses using the victims blood. Pretty scary! Anyway, Miriam has to talk to a man from her past. A man ...more
C. Stuchl
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Mica Stone

"Rite" a ceremonial act or action. In this case a series of revenge murders.
Miriam Rome is the lead Detective on the murder case. She is overworked and fighting PTSD,
The writing was well done and the characters were, for the most part, interesting. I didn't care so much for Miriam. There was too much wrong in her personal life. It was hard to keep up with.
The plot was good enough to keep me going. I wanted to find out who the killer was and why those particular peopl
Geof
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am judging this on what it is, not how well I liked it as I am not exactly in the target market for it. It is mostly well written with only a handful of inconsistencies. To put it bluntly, this is a book about a female detective's personal issues (plus a nice story about a murder mystery)! It is a good for what it is, but not my type of book.

The author gifted me an e-book copy in exchange for this lousy review. Thanks Mica!
Kelli Jo
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! Mica Stone keeps the pages turning in Rite of Wrong! Reserve some time when you pick this one up, AND YOU WILL PICK THIS ONE UP, because once you start, you will not be able to put it down. One man's idea of justice is another's idea of MURDER. Setting out to "rite" the wrongs he feels he has suffered, one man murders people with his idea of Biblical justice for the wrong they did.
Trina
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc, kindle
I received this arc from Netgalley.

At the start of this book I felt I'd found a new author to keep up with. By the end, I thought maybe not. Rome seems just a little scatter-brained for a detective. And what was the deal with with her and being around blood? I would assume if you are a detective that this pretty much goes with the job. Overall a passable read.
Kathleen Gray
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sure Miriam Rome is not a particularly sympathetic character nor are the individuals murdered by the serial killer, but this is a well written thriller that will keep you entertained. Recommend if you like police procedurals with some quirks. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Sharon
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free through a promotion the author had on Goodreads.com.
I thought it was a pretty good mystery/thriller.
It had likeable characters, a good story/plot and a few crazy killers.
I am looking forward to a sequel.
Jeanette
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-readers
My thanks to Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was a well written thriller and whilst I rarely write what the story is about for fear of spoiling for others, I do highly recommend. What a page turner! Especially if you enjoy serial killers and police procedurals.

Cindelu
Great mystery read

Loved this book. The main character was awesome, smart,funny and real. The story was intriguing and the flow of the book was smooth and swift. Love, murder, deceit, trauma, family, cops and priest. This one has it all. It even has dogs.
Michele bookloverforever
heartbreaking. who is murdering former foster children and why? sad tale. cruelty, vengeance, and live.
sharon andrews
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book !!!!!
Diana
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Riveting police procedural. Love having a smart, take-charge woman as lead detective!

• The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • Descending Son
  • Fight Dirty (Renegade Justice, #1)
  • The Righteous (Righteous, #1)
  • Deranged (Jessie Cole, #3)
  • Her Enemy
  • Copper Heart (The Maria Kallio Series Book 3)
  • Taunting the Dead (DS Allie Shenton, #1)
  • Distorted (Cape Thomas #3)
  • Starfall Station (Fallen Empire #2.5)
  • Star Nomad (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Saranth Three (Fallen Empire, #1.5)
  • Shattered Souls (Caitlyn O’Connell, #1)
  • Starseers (Fallen Empire, #3)
  • Fallen Empire Books 1-3
  • Honor's Flight (Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Last Command (Fallen Empire, #0.5)
  • Cloaks and Veils