Start by marking “Building Wealth One House at a Time” as Want to Read:
Building Wealth One House at a Time

Building Wealth One House at a Time

Make your first million and earn a steady income with this updated, essential guide to real estate investing

The collapse in real estate prices from 2007 through 2012 was the most significant event in the real estate industry since the Great Depression. But today, with the real estate market rebounding, a new generation of investors is entering the field, eager to make
Paperback, Expanded, 2nd Edition, 256 pages
Published June 13th 2016 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published December 10th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Building Wealth One House at a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Wealth One House at a Time

Start your review of Building Wealth One House at a Time
Sashi
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best book if you are looking to get started on Real Estate Investment. The very introduction impressed me which says "I have helped thousands of others make their first million buying houses. " It starts out by saying why buying houses rather than a commercial property is better.
Some of the things that you will learn from the books are

- Finding ways to spot best deals
- Buying and selling with agents
- Selling on lease/Option to generate larger profits
- Borrowing without having to go to
Katie Burkey
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive book for those who have zero previous knowledge of buying investment properties. My husband and I are testing the waters to possibly buy a passive-income property, and I found his advice on dealing with tenants particularly helpful. I definitely have more risk aversion than he does, but trying to buy one home per year with his 10/10/10 plan doesn’t seem too out-there! I really appreciate how he seems to try and give his readers the confidence to go this road alone. I had read ...more
Rachel Meyers
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buy at a deep discount and rent out houses and once they're paid off from the renters payments and have doubled in value, you'll have a million dollars once you sell them. That's the premise anyway. I'm not sure if I'm committed to this strategy and it seems like a lot of work and risk- but it was a well written and researched book.
Taylor
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about houses as investments. Really went into more detail than I actually wanted so I skimmed a bunch. This is the book to read when you’re about to actually apply it.
Vince
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a beginner, this book was very helpful. Has tips and advice from a wide angle and covers many aspects of getting started in real estate. Will definitely be coming back to use as reference
Patrick
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic book as an introduction to buying and selling houses. Has some good checklists and info on finding property, negotiating, managing tenants, etc. It's a good book as an overview of how people make a living buying and selling many houses, even if they don't have a lot of money on hand.

CP (Wayne)
Overall, this is a great introductory book to the the world of real estate investing. It is perfect for those with zero prior knowledge and wants to learn more about this niche.

As someone with little prior knowledge, I definitely learned more than I bargained for with this one book.

It reminds me that outside of working, having your own business or even inheriting; there is money to be made through real estate investing.

Many people neglect this method by mistakenly believing that only the ultra
Jeshua Newman
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My high praise of this writing is based more on how well it addressed specific questions I had about Real Estate Investing, and less on a close analysis of its literary style. That being said, this book is well written, succinct, and written with a beginner in mind. Schaub uses examples throughout the book and the occasional personal story, but for the majority of the text he dispenses with vibrant examples/personal stories and gets straight to the point using well organized topic headings, well ...more
Brian Vickery
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy book to read, and I appreciated that it focused on the long term buy-and-hold strategy...and generating the wealth via (1) monthly income through rent and (2) the fact that the rental payments are paying down your loan debt for you. It talks about houses doubling in value in about 14 years (with an average annual return of 5%), so he is definitely not trying to sell you on the "get rich quick via appreciation".

If I had felt the book *was* designed to "get rich quick" via appreciation
Jèssè Ma¢ Douga||
Video review:

instagram: jmacdougca
twitter: @jmacdougca
snapchat: jmacdougca
website: jwmca.com

Good book for people brand new to real estate rental game. The book is American written but tactics still apply to Canadians, just not all of them. As a seasoned real estate investor I learned alot from this book. Mostly that what I am doing is working. I picked up a few tips here and there as well.
A.E. L.
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wealth
I picked this up after John Schaub made a presentation at an investment group meeting. It is about how to build a successful portfolio of cash-flowing rental properties. I enjoyed many of John's suggestions for property aquisition and tenant relations. I have recommended it to friends who are also interested in rental property investing.
Stephanie Grassie
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am very glad to have read this book...but my goodness did it take me awhile to get through. There was something about his voice that would only get me through a couple of chapters at a time. I cannot say I drank his kool-aid, but there was a lot of interesting and helpful information that has helped me and I am sure will continue to help me.
Antwanika Saxon
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best, but could be better

I'd buy this book again and will refer to it as reference. While I found it useful as a beginner I felt some parts were glossed over and not fleshed out enough. All in all one of the best books for beginners, but missed the mark in some spots. I'd still recommend to all beginners.
Claudia
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great investing book for somebody that would like to do real estate investing on the side. However I attended John Schaub seminar (with the same title) and I felt the book was just a repetion of the seminar.
However if you have attended the seminar and just didn't get off your feet after it, this book would be a great refresher.
Ashley McMichael
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book covers many of the fundamentals of buying houses and different strategies to do so. I found the layout of the book kind of annoying however, with all the subtitles on every page, and the writing a bit dry. I love investing and learning but I struggled with keeping my focus on this one.
Sean
Very poorly written, the advice is obvious and it adds nothing to real estate knowledge. It also came off as very dated and it's only 10 years old. Has the game changed this much?
Monica Breckenridge
Charles is such a delight. I've been to his seminars and he's is a smart man who invests wisely. Since I've been to his seminar about 6 months ago, I have accumulated 20 rental properties.
Mark Manderson
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some good info if starting out looking to buy SFR's as investments.
Will Brown
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A practical guide on getting into Real Estate Investment for the long-haul. It's a short read, so it's devoid of the fluff of some books in the REI genre.
Samuel wilson
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

This book had an insane amount of knowledge to retain. I am going to have to read it twice great read!
Alison
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative, but a lot of the advice doesn't apply to our current economy.
Jose Alvarado
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-estate
Awesome read

This book gives you great advice on how to slowly build your wealth by buying one house at a time while providing advice on how to buy and manage them
Matt
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: investing
Schaub's books are a little dated, but they are very conservative and often give a lot of practical advice. This one gives the best overview on real estate investing.
Deucalion
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: investing
Provided some basic details of how to invest in real estate. A decent beginning and a quick read.
Gary Sonnenberg
Just skimmed the 2nd half. May revisit it again someday.
Hannah
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to read in conjunction with 'Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes and Quads' since they have conflicting ideas about which investment strategy is easier/most profitable.
Kingshuk Banerjee
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-estate
Practical and simple to read

Very good step by step advice.
I recommend this book to any new investor of real estate.
.. .. ..
Alex Dash
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, and for the less risk adverse, useful. But VTSAX will do the trick for me.
Darin Davis
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sixth book in my recommended curriculum of self-study on personal finances and investing. See www.ProfitableForAllThings.com for more details.
Ann
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money, 2012
A helpful resource for anyone who wants to own investment properties.

• The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing
  • The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Real Life Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People's Money
  • The Book on Managing Rental Properties: A Proven System for Finding, Screening, and Managing Tenants With Fewer Headaches and Maximum Profit
  • The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, Revised Edition: The Investor's Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know about Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures
  • The Book on Flipping Houses, Revised Edition: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties
  • Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money, and the American Dream
  • Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rental Properties
  • The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor: Powerful Techniques Anyone Can Use to Deduct More, Invest Smarter, and Pay Far Less to the Irs!
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, Updated Edition
  • Retire Early With Real Estate: How Smart Investing Can Help You Escape the 9-5 Grind and Do More of What Matters
  • Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker's Money
  • Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads: The Fastest and Safest Way to Real Estate Wealth
  • Hold: How to Find, Buy, and Keep Real Estate Properties to Grow Wealth
  • Raising Private Capital: Building Your Real Estate Empire Using Other People's Money
  • The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing: How to Identify the Hottest Markets and Secure the Best Deals
“FIGURE 5.1 Buying and closing checklist.
1. Identify a potential bargain purchase; ask questions.
2. Write down the one urgent problem you can solve for the seller.
3. Establish the fair market value, give or take 5 percent.
4. Research the market rent and likely net income the property will produce.
5. State your minimum acceptable profit on this house.
6. Formulate an offer that solves the seller's one urgent problem.
7. Make the offer. Insist on either an acceptance or a counteroffer (Don't tell me what you won't do; tell me what you will do).
8. Make another offer based on any new information.
9. If the seller is unresponsive but you remain convinced there is opportunity, go away and come back in a week with another offer.
10. Get the contract accepted-signed by all parties.
11. Make your earnest money deposit with the closing agent.
12. Retain rights to house inspector and termite inspector if needed.
13. Order a title search with a title company, attorney, or escrow company, and furnish these agents a copy of your fully signed contract.
14. Talk with the agent or attorney who will prepare the closing documents to alert him to any unusual clauses in the contract.
15. Get copies of any documents you will be required to sign the day before the closing, and get a copy of the title insurance commitment-read to check for exceptions.
16. Read closing documents (very carefully!!!).
17. Walk through the house the day of the closing after the sellers are completely out of the house.
18. Go to the closing, review the documents, and collect the appropriate items listed on the closing documents list, and get the keys and garage door opener.
Note: When you are buying, take your time. Time is on your side. Having both the buyers and the sellers at the closing can work to your advantage. When you are selling, sign documents in advance. Only go to pick up your check after the buyer has signed everything and left. Source: Reprinted from John Schaub, "Making It Big on Little Deals," seminar by permission”
0 likes