Start by marking “The Operator (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Operator (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #2)

The Operator

(The Peri Reed Chronicles #2)

On-the-run ex-agent Peri Reed returns bigger and bolder than ever in this second highly-anticipated installment in #1 New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison's new suspense trilogy, The Peri Reed Chronicles.

Peri Reed’s job eats her mind, but for a special task agent in hiding, forgetting the past can be a blessing.

Betrayed by the man she thought she loved and the ag
Published November 22nd 2016 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about The Operator, please sign up.
Jo If you sign up for Kim's newsletter or follow her on Facebook she says that she is currently working on the third book in the series! Hope this helps.…moreIf you sign up for Kim's newsletter or follow her on Facebook she says that she is currently working on the third book in the series! Hope this helps. Here is the link to sign up for her newsletter. There's a lot of awesome things coming up for Ms. Harrison! https://kimharrison.wordpress.com/(less)

Start your review of The Operator (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #2)
Yodamom
So disappointing.
I am going to be overusing the word trapped. You have been warned.
Peri the time shifter who can’t seem to stay out of trap after trap after trap. It was relentless, she was always on the edge of being trapped or trapped by her stupid actions. Her coworkers, lovers, even her cat trapped.
I tried hard to like this series, out of devotion to the author and her past work. I can’t, it is too random to unfocused with no direction. Peri is in the same situation she was in the beginning
Bradley
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-shelf, sci-fi
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!

Poor Peri got out of the interpersonal hell of the previous novel and quit her job without ever wanting to look back, and who can blame her? Not me.

Of course, when powerful people want something and resources are on the ebb, they always seem to find a way to drag a poor girl back in. And office politics were never quite as nasty as this.

I'm skipping a lot of the huge plot points because I'd rather not dim people's enjoyment of this novel, but I can very easily say
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[3.5/5 stars] The Operator was much stronger than The Drafter. I had a lot of specific criticisms of the first book but didn’t find any of those here. I feel like the series would’ve even received better had she started here. Or expanded the prequel because that was really good as well. Overall I’m glad I read these, but I’m a bit bummed there probably won’t be a continuation.
Marta Cox
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This series is very much a futuristic suspense that's fast moving and features a very unusual concept, that of being able to briefly turn back time known as 'drafting'. Peri has been lied to , manipulated and ultimately betrayed by the man she trusted most and as this book starts she's off the grid, determined to stay free of the crooked agencies that would use her and then scrub her memories . A peaceful life is too much to ask for though and Peri's past is catching up but this time they dangle ...more
Beth
The Operator is an intense sci-fi thriller and the second installment in The Peri Reed Chronicles.

Peri can jump time. Betrayed by the very people she put her trust in, Peri discovers that she has been manipulated, deceived and she is now become everything she thought she was fighting against.

On the run from those who wish to control her, Peri's past soon catches up with her, The powers to be are dangling a golden carrot that is almost too good to be true. They have a drug to help with her memor
Steven
Much more solid book than #1. Less confusion going back and forth between who was betraying whom, and the plot felt like it had more framework. This one makes me really excited to read book three, and hope for the return of some specific characters - like Harmony, in particular, who was an excellent addition to the cast. I like her spunk!

I received a copy of this book in advance in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me read it!
Jody McGrath
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would actually rate this athreeand a half. It is a fast read full of action, but it seems like the same things happen over and over again. Caught by these people. Escape. Caught by these people. Escape. Etc. I still enjoyed it though. Kim Harrison is a terrific writer.
Meigan

So excited, there will be a limited run of hardcovers for The Operator, including ones signed by Kim herself! See link for details!

The Operator, the second installment in the Peri Reed Chronicles, really showcases the immense talent of Kim Harrison. This series is quite different than her beloved Hollows series, but it's certainly got the bones to be just as good as that series.

Filled with futuristic gadgetry, shadowy government factions, and double agents aplenty, it's re
Kira
I tried to like this. Kim Harrison wrote one of the best UF series ever. I had to give this series a chance. The Drafter was okay. I was hoping this would be better. It was more disappointing. It felt aimless and repetitive. It’s amazing that a book with lots of action can be so boring. Halfway through I realized I just don’t care about anything. The plot, the characters, none of it interests me.

Peri Reed is a character who is hard to relate to. Her mind has been so damaged from drafting that s
Jen Davis
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels like it’s been a long wait since I finished the first book in the series. But it was worth the wait. I do think people who have not read The Drafter would I have a hard time jumping in with this second installment, though. It builds heavily on the events of book one which was very dense and full of twists and turns.

When you’re dealing with time travel and memory loss sometimes it’s hard to know which end is up. But at least now we have a better understanding of who is really on Peri’s s
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim Harrison always delivers a great ride and The Operator is another keep-your-hands-inside-the-cart ride you will want to be first in line to experience.

So I did a reread of The Drafter via audio before I started The Operator because this series is one that you need to remember the details for, so no you can't jump into this new series without reading the first book. Don't even try!

I really enjoyed listening to both (I read The Drafter the first time). January LaVoy does a fantastic job delive
Annie

I thought this book would never come! After a short stint where I wasn’t sure this series was going to continue, I’m glad Kim Harrison got the chance to continue what she started in the first book of the series, THE DRAFTER.

This Peri Reed Chronicles series is vastly different from The Hollows. First off, it’s not Urban Fantasy, not really anyway. It’s more Sci Fi oriented, but I wouldn’t put it past Harrison to include some UF bits here and there because that’s what she does best.

Our heroine
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
This is the second book in the series and this story proved to be just as exciting as the first. Because of the way the author tells the story, it is definitely a must to read the first book, The Drafter. Even though she is extremely good at blending in the first book, your understanding of the story will be more in-depth by reading these books in order.

The author has an amazing imagination and tells the story from a future that is full of heart-pounding action, deception, plus twists and turns
Teresa Cantrell
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Good series: yes

Personal pet peeve: The focus on high end clothes and high end everything. It just irritates me when it feels forced and for some reason it did. It doesn't help that I could care less about anything like that, but if you tone that down its a great series.
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
The Operator is a very twisty tale, where Peri continues to try her best to do what's right, but with no idea who is telling her the truth, and who wants the same things she wants.

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

If you haven't read Sideswiped, The Drafter and Waylaid yet, you should stop reading this review right now! There are things that happens in The Operator that might spoil the prior books for you, and believe me, you don't want that to happen! This story
☕️Kimberly
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PPoor Peri finds herself in hiding after leaving Opti fearing her handlers will erase her memories. Both Opti and the CIA want her on their team, but both have their own agendas making Peri very much a pawn. Peri may be the ultimate weapon, but she isn't going down without a fight.

While Harrison does an excellent job of refreshing readers, I recommend reading the titles by order of their release. The beginning started a little slow for me, but it was neat seeing what our girl Peri has been doing
Suz
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy

I so want to like this series and I really just don't. I think the base premise makes it very hard to like anyone in the series, including the MC, and the inability to trust anyone at all is fatiguing.

I have enjoyed most of what Kim Harrison writes, but this series just isn't ringing my bell.
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
I wanted to love this book. I really enjoyed Harrison's Hollows series, and thought that Book 1 of this series (The Drafter) was brilliant.

Unlike several reviewers, I like Peri as a character. She's different from the usual kind of urban fantasy/sci-fi heroine: she's professional, she's good at what she does, and she doesn't fall in insta-lust with the first set of washboard abs to cross her path. And like me, she likes technology. :-)

I flew through Book 1: it had great characters, an interesti
Stacy
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
THE OPERATOR—Like THE DRAFTER— was filled with a lot of action and suspense, but I had a hard time staying in the story and connecting with Peri in book two.

I really enjoyed THE DRAFTER, in fact, I gave it 5 stars. So when I got THE OPERATOR, I thought that it would be another fast paced, enjoyable read by Kim Harrison. For the most part it was, but I found myself getting bored and really disliking Peri at points throughout the book. I knew from book one that she was impulsive, but it seemed wor
Shelley
*Source* Edelweiss
*Genre* Science Fiction
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

The Operator is the second installment in author Kim
Harrison's The Peri Reed Chronicles. The story picks up a year after Peri decided to go into self imposed exile. She runs an upscale coffee shop catering to those she used to spy on, and steal secrets from. She is happy that nobody is around to attempt to erase her memories, but something is definitely off. It doesn't help that both Silas, and Allen both appear seemingly out of
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I started out liked the book better than the first, but after like 25% into the book I was not so sure anymore.
And to be honest even now after finishing it I’m still not sure what my feelings are about the book and the series.
The characters are a lot more in depth this book, more background more understanding to them. Except Peri. Sadly I had a really hard time with Peri. There is something about her that I cannot connect to and or relate to.
Buy I can’t really put my finger on what it is, tha
Helen White
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
That's the trouble with timeline altering assassins - it gets repetitive. We're only on book 2 and I want to kill most of the characters. Don't get me wrong it's a good book based on a clever idea but it's going round in circles. Good guys,bad guys, drugs,cars,kill repeat etc etc ...more
Monique Crowley
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
These books are so hard for me to read, but I'm not sure why. Good story, writing on point, but it just can't hold my attention. ...more
Julie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ugh I liked this less than the first book. Too many goofball plot twists and not really that interesting.
Jessica (a GREAT read)

I received this eARC from the publisher via Edelweiss for a honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

Kim Harrison returns to the Peri Reed Chronicles with The Operator and continues Peri’s journey as she tries to flee her enemies and a find a way to draft without losing her memories. Something that is next to impossible to accomplish. This series is definitely way different than Kim’s previous one and there’s zero supernatural or magical elements to it. But I find
Melliane
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I liked the first book but it’s true that something was still missing for me. So I started this one while waiting to see what would be my feeling and I confess that I was a bit more taken by the story this time.

Peri Reed finally managed to flee Opti to try to build a simpler life even if it is still very difficult for her to deal with the betrayal and the consequences of the previous volume. Yet her memory holes remain a big problem and although she might p
Under the Covers Book Blog
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

Our heroine

Monica Hills
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I love Kim Harrison novels. I was extremely excited to win this follow up to The Drafter in a Goodreads Giveaway. It has been about a year since I read the first novel in the series so it did take me a little to remember who all of the characters were and what exactly had happened. As I read it did come back to me. Peri has taken down Opti and now has set herself up in retirement as an owner of her own coffee shop. Things are going well although she does miss her old life when one day Silas walk ...more
Chelly
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I love this series. Pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying Peri's story. I love the action. The pace is quick and the story is complex and twisty. I adore Silas and can't wait to see where this goes.

*I received an eARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jen
I won a Goodreads giveaway for this book! I am so excited. :-)

I won the book on December 7, 2016. I saw that it shipped on December 29, 2016. And I received it on January 13, 2017 (though it probably arrived on January 11 or 12). And I'm leaving this note here to remind myself to e-mail the lady at Simon and Schuster after I've finished it. Also, read it soon, Jenni! !!!

:-)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #178 The Operator by Kim Harrison 1 1 Dec 26, 2016 08:55PM

• Warrior Mage (Chains of Honor, #1)
  • Rock Paper Scissors (Ordinary Magic, #4)
  • A Deadly Business (Mia Quinn, #2)
  • Fury on Fire (Devil's Rock, #3)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #5)
  • Forged (Alex Verus, #11)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Predatory Game (GhostWalkers, #6)
  • Deadly Game (GhostWalkers, #5)
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • The Getaway
  • Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27)
  • Curse on the Land (Soulwood, #2)
  • Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
  • Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Moon Called
  • Kill Switch (Joe Ledger, #8)
  • Drone (Troy Pearce, #1)
  • Flame in the Dark (Soulwood, #3)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Peri Reed Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Drafter (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1)
  • The Agent (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #3)

News & Interviews

“You’re like a five-year-old helping Mommy in the kitchen,” Bill muttered, and Michael’s mirth vanished. “It would be easier if you were somewhere else, but then I’d have two messes to clean up instead of one.” Frustrated,” 1 likes
“Harmony crab-walked back. “You’re the only one left, Reed. You were right. It was a trap. Michael is a sadist. We leave now, or I’ll shoot you on sight next time I see you as one of Bill’s brainwashed dolls.” 1 likes