Start by marking “The 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back: Overcoming the Behavior Patterns That Keep You From Getting Ahead” as Want to Read:

Have you ever wondered why some people seem to rise effortlessly to the top, while others are stuck in the same job year after year? Have you ever felt you are falling short of your career potential? Have you wondered if some of the things you do–or don’t do–at work might be hamstringing your ambitions? In The 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back, James Waldroop and Ti ...more
Published October 16th 2001 by Crown Business

CAC
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
The authors are career placement directors at Harvard Business School, have done a lot of counseling and offer some sage advice for the career-minded. However, I found the book to be quite long and it had an over reliance on behavioral career issues that stemmed from childhood. Very psychotherapy-oriented (and Jungian) which I thought they took too far, tracing nearly every "bad habit" back to childhood. Their 12 habits would have been more credible too if they would have cited (or conducted) pr ...more
J Crossley
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heal Negative Behaviors Holding You Back

This book offers a wealth of information about behaviors that can hold you back at work and how you can correct those negative traits. After the initial twelve hindrances ate reviewed, the authors discuss four traits to help you improve.
Hafiz Mohammed
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading the book. The case studies approach is fantastic. I found it insightful. Definitely worth a Re-Read every now and then.
Anthony
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Some good points and I think there are a few items that I found useful in analyzing my own habits in the workplace at some points I felt the book got "preachy" in some of its views. There practical advice and counseling is probably top notch, but I could tell from the text that their inherent world view is different from mind, and it makes me wonder if I might have the "13th Habit". Some of the items on power left me cold, they may be right, but sometimes felt they were condemning power and taki ...more
Christopher
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anyone working with people in a managerial capacity will get a lot of insight out of this book.

The 12 behavior patterns identified in this book will cover most of the people that you will work with/encounter and have relationships with outside of work.

Being self-aware is critical for making this book "work for you", and being able to accurately observe the traits pointed out is necessary for you to make constructive suggestions to colleagues suffering from these habits.

The psychological insigh
Marissa
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marissa by: Professor Wayne Shaw
Shelves: cairn
Astute and practical, the best part of this book is how concrete it is -- in its examples, its generalizations, and its remedies. Unlike the "10 quick fixes" articles frequently published in periodicals, this book drives home the reality that all change--even good change--is hard... but gives you the tools to envision even yourself making those changes.
Fran Babij
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Extremely deep and insightful tool to helping a person understand the inner workings of the thought/behavior connection and how to correct the things that are adversely affecting our daily lives. Also a very helpful tool to understanding why the people around us do the things they do and how we can help them. Great resource!
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books on not only finding out how to overcome my own bad habits but how to deal with them in other people. The book goes through the 12 habits describing the origin and how to overcome it but it also has sections on how to manage someone with each behavior pattern. I took it as, not necessarily managing but how to deal with them in any relationship.
Vince
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book as I do everything by Timothy Butler. However, reading every chapter made me think that I face EVERY challenge this book discusses. I found it more useful, as Mr. Butler advises, to read only a couple of chapters that seem most relevant to me and use it as a reference.

Five stars. Definitely a keeper.
Heather
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and am rereading it for the second time (with a very long break in between). Their case study approach is insightful, and I definitely appreciate business advice from a psychological perspective.
Jerome Baladad
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This can be an easy read of a book if you're familiar with Carl Jung's psychology. But then again, you can acquire a lot of helpful tips from this book especially if you're still doing a full time job. I realized I've moved on from that path. And that's great and OK.
Dave
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a powerful book. Took me longer than usual to read,as I could identify with all aspects of the book......
Heather
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This is heavily targeted toward people working in a 'traditional office setting', for lack of a better phrase, and so it didn't entirely apply to self-employed me. Interesting reading, though!
Rosalie Schraut
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Specific for middle career, but good for early/young professionals
Sumanta
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some bad habits which find a place here ?

Avoiding conflict at any cost.... Doing too much, pushing too hard... Rebel looking for a cause...

Just the read for today's confused times..
Shakeel Akhtar
Dec 30, 2014
Zex
Sep 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them
  • Your Next Move: The Leader's Guide to Navigating Major Career Transitions
  • Rapid Problem Solving With Post-it Notes
  • The Squeaky Wheel: Complaining the Right Way to Get Results, Improve Your Relationships, and Enhance Self-Esteem
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • MBA in a Day: What You Would Learn at Top-Tier Business Schools (If You Only Had the Time!)
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path from Chaos to Career
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes
  • Career Match: Connecting Who You Are with What You'll Love to Do
  • Life's Missing Instruction Manual: The Guidebook You Should Have Been Given at Birth
  • Organizing Genius: The Secrets of Creative Collaboration
  • Unstoppable: 45 Powerful Stories of Perseverance and Triumph from People Just Like You
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd
“Renowned psychologist David McClelland of Harvard wrote about three basic motivators in people’s work: need for achievement, need for affiliation, and need for power. Most successful business professionals’ scores on these three motivations form something of a checkmark. They tend to be moderately highly motivated by a need for achievement, not much motivated by need for affiliation, and highly motivated by a need for power. The meritocrat, by contrast, is very highly oriented toward achievement, moderately highly motivated by need for affiliation, and almost negatively motivated by need for power. That” 0 likes