Start by marking “Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)” as Want to Read:

Bunnicula

(Bunnicula #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  57,420 ratings  ·  2,108 reviews
BEWARE THE HARE!
Is he or isn't he a vampire?

Before it's too late, Harold the dog and Chester the cat must find out the truth about the newest pet in the Monroe household -- a suspicious-looking bunny with unusual habits... and fangs!
Published August 8th 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Bunnicula, please sign up.
Joy Smith He explains in the note on the inside back cover. He can't remember, but he was in his 20s watching vampire movies with his wife, and a name popped…moreHe explains in the note on the inside back cover. He can't remember, but he was in his 20s watching vampire movies with his wife, and a name popped into his head about that time.(less)

·  57,420 ratings  ·  2,108 reviews

karen
while i read this, check out a vampire list i made over here - http://www.rifflebooks.com/list/21865...

OCTOBER

as part of my personal reading challenges for 2017, once a month i will be revisiting a favorite book from when i was a little bitty karen and seeing if it holds up to my fond memories and determining if i can still enjoy it as an old and crotchety karen.

fingers crossed.
Brandon Sanderson
(This review is from 2004.)

Since it’s Halloween, I thought I’d talk about something frightening: Bunnies. Vampire bunnies. Ninja vampire bunnies. Okay, so, maybe not that ninja part. But definitely vampire bunnies—one in particular.

So, my roommate (Mr. “I’m not in there!” from the other week) was recently given a collection of young adult books as a birthday present. Most of the stack didn’t interest me, but I did notice one specific volume in the pile. I remember reading Bunnicula as a child, a
Alex
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hear me out: there is no Bunnicula. This is about the cat.

His name is Chester. He has schemes and a vivid imagination, as cats do. He's steeped in Gothic literature. Here's my Gothic Drinking Game if you need a refresher, and notice how Bunnicula will get you drunk:

- Nasty weather
- Fainting (in our first hint that Bunnicula may not be the villain, he is usually the fainter)
- Creepy noises
- Scary eyes
- And the most important thing: a relative turns out to be the surprise villain.

Here's what we
Melissa Storm
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s only month #2 of the “books that made me love reading" challenge, and already, I’m noticing a pattern. Last month, I re-reviewed Harold and the Purple Crayon, a book that has had a profound influence on my life. I freely attribute my creativity to the inspiration I received from this happy little picture book, and now I realize that this month’s book, Bunnicula, has had an equally large impact on my life and personality.

Bunnicula made me smart. Seriously, it did.

Yes, I’m raising serious nat
Edward Lorn
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blast from my past that is still epic to this day. One of my first horror reads, too. Bunnicula and My Teacher is an Alien are why I started writing stories when I was younger. I read those two books and thought, "Hey, I can do this!" The rest is history.

In summation: Find it. Read it. Pass it down through the generations.

Final Judgment: Highly recommended for all ages.
Kelli
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, audio
Bunnicula, written by Harold the dog and starring Chester the cat, was well-received by my kids on a recent trip north. It was short, silly, and featured hi jinks of the best kind. Chester is one high brow cat! Extremely well-read and quite impressed with himself, he makes frequent literary references and he sees no reason to dumb down his language for Harold and as a parent, I loved that. I chuckled at his barbs and sarcastic comments, as well as his paranoid ideas about the bunny. Chester stol ...more
Amy
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-hearts
Hilarious and delightful read! I'm a sucker for books narrated by animals. With a Dracula theme and a snarky cat, how can you lose?!
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This book series was my childhood!

EDIT:
I recently reread this book as an adult and I still think it is fantastic
I had completely forgotten about reading this book as a child until a conversation with my best friend likening someone to a bunny with red eyes and fangs. Whereupon she said, wait, I'm pretty sure that's actually a book isn't it? She looked it up and yes, yes it was.

BUNNICULA is one of those children's books that I love! Literary references and large vocabulary words interwoven into an adorable little story. Although I had forgotten about this book, not hard to do when you book carnivore like
Kayla Edwards
Just read this novel with my elementary book club. The kids found the idea of a vampire bunny hysterical. This book's popularity has been making a comeback lately with all of the vampire hype in recent years. And I must say, my favorite part of the entire novel may be the Editor's Note at the beginning.
Michelle Isenhoff
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first met Chester and Harold as a kid and fell in love with them. If you haven’t encountered these two yet, let me introduce you. Chester is a highly educated cat with a vivid imagination. One of his delights is to listen to his owner, a college English professor, practice class lectures. He’s widely read, and especially favors Edgar Allen Poe. Harold isn’t quite as intellectual as Chester, but he does have a good deal more common sense. He’s also the one who wrote and delivered the first manu ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Bunnicula is hilarious! I loved it during the 5th grade when I read it over the summer, and nearly everyone I know enjoys it for its witty humor and quirky characters.
Utena
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review can be found at The Book Review.
Mitticus
Charming and Funny.

The Monroes' kids didn't know what special rabbit they brought home.

Necesitaba con urgencia algo livianito con todas las tragedias pasando en The Fifht Season y esto fue justo lo que necesitaba. A pesar del titulo, no crean un intento de horror para niños (segun dice, esta pensado para 8 años para arriba ;P), sino que es más bien jocoso y escrito con mucho ingenio.

Cualquier cosa que me haga reir, tiene mucho valor para mí.

bunnicula_by_creampuf
"He's a vampire!" Chester snarled. "Today, vegetables.
Drebbles
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Howard the Dog and Chester the Cat enjoy living with their humans - Harold especially likes Toby who enjoys feasts that he shares with Harold. So when the family brings home a bunny they name Bunnicula, it isn't surprising that Harold and Chester are a bit jealous of the attention the family focuses on Bunnicula. But Chester's jealousy soon turns into the suspicion that Bunnicula is a vampire. He sets out to prove it - no matter what the cost.

Although "Bunnicula" is aimed at readers ages 8 - 12
Corinne Edwards
I remember hearing about this little "vampire" bunny when I was a kid, but the story never interested me. Shame on me, because I read it outloud to my two little boys this past week and had a ball. Our narrator is the loyal, if not slightly blustering, dog Harold. When their family discovers a WHITE tomato, Harold's scheming cat-friend Chester is convinced that the family's new bunny is the culprit. A juice sucking BUNNY? That is just funny, in fact, my boys were in hysterics more than once, tha ...more
J.G. Keely
I had a bizarre obsession with this book as a diminutive child. There is a vague remembrance of myself dancing menacingly in an airport while my father's friend improvised (at my behest) a song on the topic on his guitar. It is unfortunate that the book was not written by a darker and stranger writer, for my love of the concept didn't really translate to the simple silliness of the books themselves.

Of course, I didn't want something evil and frightening, but a bit of Carroll's disturbance would
Matt
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A definite blast from the past. This was very popular when I was growing up and I haven’t read it in over 20 years so I figured the Halloween season this year would be perfect to revisit this children’s horror classic. This was a lot of fun. I loved our narrator Harold, the dog, and his friends Chester, and Bunnicula. There is a nice infusion of humor, in addition to the light hearted horror, into the story and I think it would be enjoyed by readers of all ages. A wonderful read.
✨Tamara
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute little story! Perfect for young readers who like a bit of a darker tale without being too scary. Can't wait to read the rest of the series with my son.
Aarika Copeland
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Harold the dog and Chester the cat enjoy intelligent conversation, warm milk, and the occasional belly rub at the hands of their human family, the Monroe's.
Their quiet lives are turned inside out when the Monroe family brings home a small, white bunny with red eyes and a hand written note in an unknown language tied about his neck. The family names him Bunnicula.
Suspicions rise when vegetables begin to turn up white and drained of juice.
Chester, with the help of Harold, derives a plan to uncover
Gail
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Introduced this book to my 4th grade class. Started out with overhead transparencies of Bela Lugosi as Dracula, and discussed common - held beliefs about vampires. After having the students complete a Vampire Worksheet, we dove into chapter 1, pausing for exciting vocabulary words.
A fun, fun read. Great for those kids who have a dry sense of humor. They'll appreciate the jokes. The rest enjoy reading about pets that are smarter than (or, at least as smart as)their humans.
Devann
You know those books that you remember very fondly from childhood and then you go back and read them as an adult and you're like 'oh no, it's awful and boring now'? WELL THIS ISN'T ONE OF THOSE BOOKS! This was every bit as hilarious and entertaining as it was when I read it 18+ years ago and I'm so happy I decided to revisit it. Definitely a classic.
Lisa
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my two youngest daughters and we thought it was hilarious. There were many laugh-out-loud moments for all of us. We look forward to continuing with the adventures of Harold the dog, Chester the cat, and Bunnicula the vampire rabbit.
Robert Kent
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What makes a classic middle grade book a classic? I know I’ve reviewed some here, such as Watership Down, James and the Giant Peach, The Giver, and Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing. But what makes those books classics and new books, such as Savvy by Ingrid Law, likely to be but not yet classics? I don’t really know, but I think time has something to do with it, which is a crappy deal for writers. Classics are books that have endured over a particular period of time and if you’re an author hopin ...more
Chance Lee
Bunnicula is one of my all-time favorite kids' books. I checked out this twentieth-anniversary edition because it includes an almost 60-page appendix, "Writing Bunnicula: The Story Behind the Story."

Ah, this is perfect to read by the window while I sip my coffee this morning, I thought.

James Howe tells the story of meeting his wife and love of his life, Deborah. They thought they wanted to be actors. In headshots, Deborah looked like a young Linda Lavin. James, with his geekier-than-Bill Gates-
Kate
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

A family with a cat named Chester and a dog named Harold brings home a bunny that they decide to name Bunnicula. This story is about the mystery of vegetables turning white and Harold and Chester’s friendship (or lack thereof) with Bunnicula.
Amina
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Really fun to read, the cat though, an entire strategy and lots of reading to put his plan to action 😂
Casey
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am BEYOND HAPPY that I picked this book up because I fell in love with it in less than five minutes. James Howe is hilarious! I was unable to stop giggling the whole time. I rate “Bunnicula” 5 stars!
Mehsi
My eighth book for Banned Books Week.

And boy, it was terrible. For various reasons. I was really looking forward to this one, a bunny? That is apparently a vampire or something? That sounds so much fun! Add to that the fact this book is from the POV of the pets (or at least the dog) and I was sold. I needed books for Banned Books Week and so this was an easy choice.

Sadly, it was not meant to be.

Chester: My Lord, I hate know-it-all characters, especially when they go around and flaunt with thei
Hollowspine
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
It's been many years since I read this book and I'm not sure if I actually read it myself or had it read to me.

My memories about the story were a bit different from what I experienced now re-hearing it (my brother read it to me while I drove him around Northern Minnesota and North Dakota). I remember feeling a bit more frightened the first time. Of course I was a child when I first heard it, but somehow I remembered it being a lot more chilling. I also remember it being a bit longer, but I suppo
Rams Readers Summ...: Bunnicula by Deborah & James How 4 7 Jun 08, 2018 03:41PM
Bunnicula by Deborah & James How 1 2 Jun 06, 2018 02:23PM
point of view 1 3 Sep 24, 2017 05:28PM
Cardigan Mountain...: Bunnicula 9 7 Feb 11, 2017 07:15AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Socks
  • Christina's Ghost
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (Johnny Dixon, #3)
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1)
  • Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!
  • My Teacher Fried My Brains (My Teacher Is an Alien, #2)
  • The Hoboken Chicken Emergency
  • Snot Stew
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere, Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Box Set (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1,2,3,4)

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi

Bunnicula (7 books)
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Bunnicula Strikes Again! (Bunnicula, #6)
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)
“So, this is a rabbit, I thought. He sort of looks like Chester, only he's got longer ears and a shorter tail. And a motor in his nose.” 18 likes
“Harold: "It so happens I was discussing great works of literature with Toby."
Chester: "Since when is a Twinkies wrapper considered a great work of literature?”
6 likes