Start by marking “Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)” as Want to Read:

Bunnicula

(Bunnicula #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  60,715 ratings  ·  2,403 reviews
BEWARE THE HARE!
Is he or isn't he a vampire?

Before it's too late, Harold the dog and Chester the cat must find out the truth about the newest pet in the Monroe household -- a suspicious-looking bunny with unusual habits... and fangs!
Published August 8th 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Bunnicula, please sign up.
Joy Smith He explains in the note on the inside back cover. He can't remember, but he was in his 20s watching vampire movies with his wife, and a name popped in…moreHe explains in the note on the inside back cover. He can't remember, but he was in his 20s watching vampire movies with his wife, and a name popped into his head about that time.(less)

·  60,715 ratings  ·  2,403 reviews

Start your review of Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)
Matthew
Another fun time reading a classic and nostalgia filled book to my kids!

Probably the best part of the experience was when it came to sharing my progress on Goodreads and the wide array of responses I got. Everything from, “Wow, I haven’t read this in years! I was one of my favorites!” to, “WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU READING!” I mean, it is a book about a vampire bunny and if you saw the cover come across your feed, and you had never heard of it, you might have had a similar shocked reaction!

I did enj
karen
while i read this, check out a vampire list i made over here - http://www.rifflebooks.com/list/21865...

OCTOBER

as part of my personal reading challenges for 2017, once a month i will be revisiting a favorite book from when i was a little bitty karen and seeing if it holds up to my fond memories and determining if i can still enjoy it as an old and crotchety karen.

fingers crossed.
Brandon Sanderson
(This review is from 2004.)

Since it’s Halloween, I thought I’d talk about something frightening: Bunnies. Vampire bunnies. Ninja vampire bunnies. Okay, so, maybe not that ninja part. But definitely vampire bunnies—one in particular.

So, my roommate (Mr. “I’m not in there!” from the other week) was recently given a collection of young adult books as a birthday present. Most of the stack didn’t interest me, but I did notice one specific volume in the pile. I remember reading Bunnicula as a child, a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
A sweet little horror book that isn’t really a horror book 😉

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾🎃
Alex
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hear me out: there is no Bunnicula. This is about the cat.

His name is Chester. He has schemes and a vivid imagination, as cats do. He's steeped in Gothic literature. Here's my Gothic Drinking Game if you need a refresher, and notice how Bunnicula will get you drunk:

- Nasty weather
- Fainting (in our first hint that Bunnicula may not be the villain, he is usually the fainter)
- Creepy noises
- Scary eyes
- And the most important thing: a relative turns out to be the surprise villain.

Here's what we
Sean Gibson
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read this book in probably 30 years or so. I’m happy to report that it’s still delightful and a great read-along with kiddos.

Though I could have done without the special edition scratch-n-sniff bunny droppings cover.
Melissa Storm
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s only month #2 of the “books that made me love reading" challenge, and already, I’m noticing a pattern. Last month, I re-reviewed Harold and the Purple Crayon, a book that has had a profound influence on my life. I freely attribute my creativity to the inspiration I received from this happy little picture book, and now I realize that this month’s book, Bunnicula, has had an equally large impact on my life and personality.

Bunnicula made me smart. Seriously, it did.

Yes, I’m raising serious nat
Edward Lorn
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blast from my past that is still epic to this day. One of my first horror reads, too. Bunnicula and My Teacher is an Alien are why I started writing stories when I was younger. I read those two books and thought, "Hey, I can do this!" The rest is history.

In summation: Find it. Read it. Pass it down through the generations.

Final Judgment: Highly recommended for all ages.
Kelli
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, childrens
Bunnicula, written by Harold the dog and starring Chester the cat, was well-received by my kids on a recent trip north. It was short, silly, and featured hi jinks of the best kind. Chester is one high brow cat! Extremely well-read and quite impressed with himself, he makes frequent literary references and he sees no reason to dumb down his language for Harold and as a parent, I loved that. I chuckled at his barbs and sarcastic comments, as well as his paranoid ideas about the bunny. Chester stol ...more
Amy
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-hearts
Hilarious and delightful read! I'm a sucker for books narrated by animals. With a Dracula theme and a snarky cat, how can you lose?!
YouKneeK
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bunnicula is a cute little children’s book that I may or may not have read as a child. I was vaguely familiar with the story, but I don’t specifically remember reading it. Even as an adult it was pretty entertaining; it made a great change of pace and a fun diversion.

The story is set in the household of a family with a mother, a father, two bratty sons, a dog, and a cat. It’s told from the perspective of the dog. One night the human part of the family comes home with a bunny, but this bunny seem
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This book series was my childhood!

EDIT:
I recently reread this book as an adult and I still think it is fantastic
I had completely forgotten about reading this book as a child until a conversation with my best friend likening someone to a bunny with red eyes and fangs. Whereupon she said, wait, I'm pretty sure that's actually a book isn't it? She looked it up and yes, yes it was.

BUNNICULA is one of those children's books that I love! Literary references and large vocabulary words interwoven into an adorable little story. Although I had forgotten about this book, not hard to do when you book carnivore like
Mariah Roze
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book! My student really liked it!

I made some Teachers Pay Teachers resources for this, if you are interested.

Briar's Reviews
Back in the day, Bunnicula was THE book to read in elementary school. The class clambered to the front of the classroom to sit in our little circle and have story time. This book turned us all into little book loving zombies and we were desperate for more. Unfortunately, our school and teachers were only ever able to get the first book, but that didn't deter us. We all had it memorized by the end of the day.

Fast forward to 2020. I see this book in a local used bookstore and I decide, "Hey, why n
Cori
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
All these people talking about the nostalgia behind reading these books as kids. And here I am, TODAY YEARS OLD, when I'm giggling like a kid reading about Chester, the crazy cat; Harold, the sweet dog; and...Bunnicula- dun, dun, DUUUUN.

But seriously, I loved the adorable innocence and hysterical capers of these animals.

The books are narrated by Harold, who is an unreliable narrator, constantly distracted by chocolate cupcakes and steak. He is buddies with Chester, the intelligent reading cat w
Sara
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite memories of childhood was going to the library and getting the record of "Bunnicula" out to listen to. Lou Jacobi narrated it. There's a newer version now with Victor Garber but its Lou's nasally, sarcastic Chester the cat and sardonic, gentle Harold the dog that stays with me.

I love this book. Its one of those childhood experiences that I just treasure. The thing I recall most is this feeling of perfect contentment while it played. Even though the story, about a possibly vamp
Rebecca McNutt
Bunnicula is hilarious! I loved it during the 5th grade when I read it over the summer, and nearly everyone I know enjoys it for its witty humor and quirky characters.
Kayla Edwards
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Just read this novel with my elementary book club. The kids found the idea of a vampire bunny hysterical. This book's popularity has been making a comeback lately with all of the vampire hype in recent years. And I must say, my favorite part of the entire novel may be the Editor's Note at the beginning.
Michelle Isenhoff
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first met Chester and Harold as a kid and fell in love with them. If you haven’t encountered these two yet, let me introduce you. Chester is a highly educated cat with a vivid imagination. One of his delights is to listen to his owner, a college English professor, practice class lectures. He’s widely read, and especially favors Edgar Allen Poe. Harold isn’t quite as intellectual as Chester, but he does have a good deal more common sense. He’s also the one who wrote and delivered the first manu ...more
Rachel Sample
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I enjoyed this book immensely as a kid, and I enjoyed it 20+ years later as an adult. It even made me chuckle a few times.
It's always nice to find something from your childhood that you can still enjoy as a grown-up.
✨Sumi's Books✨
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute little story! Perfect for young readers who like a bit of a darker tale without being too scary. Can't wait to read the rest of the series with my son.
Mitticus
Charming and Funny.

The Monroes' kids didn't know what special rabbit they brought home.

Necesitaba con urgencia algo livianito con todas las tragedias pasando en The Fifht Season y esto fue justo lo que necesitaba. A pesar del titulo, no crean un intento de horror para niños (segun dice, esta pensado para 8 años para arriba ;P), sino que es más bien jocoso y escrito con mucho ingenio.

Cualquier cosa que me haga reir, tiene mucho valor para mí.

bunnicula_by_creampuf
"He's a vampire!" Chester snarled. "Today, vegetab
Matt
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A definite blast from the past. This was very popular when I was growing up and I haven’t read it in over 20 years so I figured the Halloween season this year would be perfect to revisit this children’s horror classic. This was a lot of fun. I loved our narrator Harold, the dog, and his friends Chester, and Bunnicula. There is a nice infusion of humor, in addition to the light hearted horror, into the story and I think it would be enjoyed by readers of all ages. A wonderful read.
Utena
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review can be found at The Book Review. ...more
Carol
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite growing up! And did I just sit down and reread it as a 30 year old woman and thoroughly enjoy it? You bet your ass I did.
Jen
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really cute book that I somehow missed as a kid. Only issue is when the dog talks about liking chocolate cupcakes. Chocolate is bad for dogs! Nooooo!!! And the cat was really cruel. I understand why, but it is really interesting to see how someone can do what they think is the right thing, but it’s really not. Good lesson to take in I think. 4, anemic vegetable, stars!
Jason
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child, and anyone else also
Recommended to Jason by: Santa Claus? I think I got it for Christmas one year
3/18/20 update:

Read aloud with the nine-year-old nephew passing it back and forth a page at a time. He loved the chapter with the steak and water dish. Oh Chester, you cray-cray cat. It was fun, and neph's reading improved remarkably doing it this way. He even started asking if we could read Bunnicula tonight, and we're going to tackle Howliday Inn next at his request.

11/4/13 update:

I just reread this again at the end of October. I had been reading Henry James' The Turn of the Screw, which I had
Drebbles
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Howard the Dog and Chester the Cat enjoy living with their humans - Harold especially likes Toby who enjoys feasts that he shares with Harold. So when the family brings home a bunny they name Bunnicula, it isn't surprising that Harold and Chester are a bit jealous of the attention the family focuses on Bunnicula. But Chester's jealousy soon turns into the suspicion that Bunnicula is a vampire. He sets out to prove it - no matter what the cost.

Although "Bunnicula" is aimed at readers ages 8 - 12
Tito the Incognito
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th & 5th graders
Way back when I was in the fourth grade (I'm in my 30s now, so obviously quite some time ago) my teacher read this book aloud to the class and I enjoyed it so much that I bugged my parents to buy it for me. I'd highly recommend Bunnicula, as well as its sequels, to anyone seeking reading material for their nine or ten-year-old children as it's a delightful read. It's humorous, the characters are endearing, and the plot will keep your kids interested enough that they'll want to keep reading until ...more
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 126 - Bunnicula 2 30 Jun 19, 2019 01:02PM

• Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)
  • The Vampire Bunny (Bunnicula and Friends, #1)
  • It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #1)
  • Socks
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Howie Monroe and the Doghouse of Doom (Tales From the House of Bunnicula, #3)
  • Freckle Juice
  • The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1)
  • The Cricket in Times Square (Chester Cricket and His Friends, #1)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Shiloh (Shiloh, #1)
  • The Witches
Deborah Howe with her husband James Howe was the author of the classic children's tale Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery. After her death, the Bunnicula series was continued by James. ...more

Bunnicula (7 books)
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Bunnicula Strikes Again! (Bunnicula, #6)
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)