Start by marking “G is for Goat” as Want to Read:
G is for Goat

G is for Goat

Letter by letter, meet cart-pulling goats; clothes-munching goats; head-butting, hill-climbing, tail-wagging goats! Cats, chicks, dogs, and bunnies play along with these friendly goats, joining in the fun. From A is for Apple to Z is for Zoe, these rascally animals just won’t stop until they’ve romped through the whole alphabet. Patricia Polacco, beloved author and proud o ...more
Published March 2nd 2006 by Puffin Books (first published March 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about G is for Goat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G is for Goat

Lisa Vegan
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young readers; fans of Patricia Polacco; fans of alphabet books
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

The illustrations provide so much detail; there’s so much to view. I am impressed by the depictions of all the animals and the people too.

The narrative, A-Z about goats, is told as a simple rhyme.

Both illustrations and story are appealing. I would not have guessed that an alphabet book about goats could be so interesting. I am not normally a fan of books about farmed animals. Perhaps because Polacco shares her ho
Judy
It's not often that I want to read an alphabet book, but this one will be a favorite. The story about goats will catch the kids' attention, I'm sure. I wish Polacco had written an Author's Note explaining why she chose goats as her focus.

A is for Apple, the best treat of all,
B is for Billy, what boy goats are called, ...

The art, as much as the text, is part of the story. For these pages, there's an apple tree with both girl and goat reaching for a treat. The scene also has k/>A
Samantha
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a cute alphabet picture book that tells the story of a girl and her goats. It's nice to have an alphabet book with a plot. This is also one of the few Polacco books I can think of that you can read with younger children, so it could be a good gateway book for Polacco fans to introduce her lovely artwork to children.
Shari
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
I didn't know that Patricia Polacco wrote an alphabet book! This one is all about goats. It's gorgeous, but not great to teaching the alphabet.
E.S.
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Like Lois Ehlert, Patricia Polacco is well-known in the world of children’s books, having written dozens of them. G is for Goat is a topical themed alphabet book based around goats in which a little girl talks about goats and their features, likes, and characteristics, each revolving around the letter of the alphabet! (A is for Apple, the best treat of all; B is for Billy, which boy goats are called). I particularly like that when words such as Billy or Kid are used, they are immediately explain ...more
Dolly
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy Patricia Polacco's stories and so we look for them often at our local library. Lucky for us, she is a very prolific writer, so we still have a lot of her books to discover.

I was a bit hesitant to read this book with our girls as it is an alphabet book and they have moved far beyond this kind of story. Our oldest gave a bit of a groan of protest when I brought it out. But I insisted, since it was by Ms. Polacco, and I really think she liked it, even if she won't admit it. Besides, since i
Kelly Borton
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book with rhyming alphabet text. Patricia Polacco has found inspiration for her writing from her home in Michigan where she raises goats. Each letter is represented in a simple poetic sentence with illustrations that enhance the text. The rhyme is fluid with one letter representation into the next, while creating a story about goats and their behaviors. It is a fluid, rhythmic read from one letter to the next, with anticipation of what the goat does next. This could be used i ...more
Emma
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This alphabet book took a unique approach to learning the alphabet. Normally, you do not see an alphabet book that is themed around a single aspect, in this case, a goat. I found it very interesting to find out what each letter would represent when it is relating to goats.

However, I did not like that it did not follow the traditional approach of an alphabet book and included sounds to represent letters of the alphabet instead of words that start with that letter. But, this is more ac
Asho
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
After reading "Mommies Say Shhhh" a few weeks ago and enjoying Polacco's goat illustrations, I was happy to see this book featured on top of the alphabet shelf at the library. My one-year-old really likes goats for some reason, so it was fun to read this one together. Sometimes I read it properly, and sometimes I "read" it by showing him the pictures and making goofy goat sounds. One thing I particularly appreciated about this book is that the letters of the alphabet are used to begin both nouns ...more
Ina
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Simple rhyming text and beautiful, brightly colored illustrations talk about all things related to goats. With plenty of opportunities to engage young ones in the story - we counted goats, made goat sounds and identified all of the other animals that make cameo appearances in this book. My story time audience loved this one, laughing in al the right places..."R is for ram, when they butt heads for fun. S is for spots, what they see when they are done" the illustrations of the dizzy goats, well, ...more
Julia Jasztal
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mommy's review from 2/7/09 -

Very nice kids book- I liked this one a lot. It's very simple, basically one letter a page with a simple sentence to go with it and of course, all about goats.
The artwork was really cool and I liked the old fashioned little girls.
I'm big on rhyming books, as long as they're good rhymes so I may be biased towards this but I'd recommend it.
Julia had fun showing me which letters she knew already and I had another chance to teacher the ones she didn't.
Karen
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He has a thing for alphabet books.

This book is absolutely gorgeous. The illustrations are beyond beautiful, and exude charm with every line and every saturated color.

The text, however, is merely adequate. All of the charm is definitely in illustrations.

Luann
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2011, abcs
When I attempt todescribe these illustrations, the word that comes to mind is "friendly." The goats are all so bright-eyed and cute! The text is ultra-simple with only a line for each letter. The books goes through the alphabet with a goat-related word for each letter. This would be a very nice way of introducing children to Patricia Polacco.
Fibersian
This is an alphabet book entirely about the antics of goats. Letter sounds are presented with words that match but goats provide all of the action.

Letter recognition. This also a fun book to predict what will happen with these goats as they travel through the ABCs. Letter sound knowledge can be explored by predicting what words will represent the next letter.
Danae Williams
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230-b
This is a great alphabet book, probably suited for older kids, fourth to fifth grade range. The book goes through the alphabet relating every letter to something about a goat. This book would get the students minds thinking about a certain concept in this case about a goat. Its a great book and lots of activities could go along with it.
Diana
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
I don't, as a rule, use alphabet books when reading aloud to the kiddos. They tend to be long, disjointed, and boring. This one, however, was a very pleasant surprise! Not only did it read almost like a continuous story-line, but it practically worked as a nonfiction title for kids about goats! The illustrations worked wonderfully with the text and I would not hesitate to use this one again.
Janet
When I ordered this on interlibrary I thought it was a regular hardback, but this ISBN is a board book. It was a fun abc book revolving around goats and there was a slight storyline.With the slight storyline also comes info about goats and combined with Polacco's charming illustrations this was a great title for me. I always enjoy the folk art style of illustration.
Kristen Wilson
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-book
G is for Goat by Patricia Polacco, is a childrens book that tells a story about goats while learning about each letter of the alphabet. This is a cute book for kids that are learning there alphabet because it ties in an actually story. Most ABC book are similas to, A is for Apple, B is for Bear, C is for Cat I just thought this book was way more enjoyable then you typical alphabet books.
Leon
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow goat enthusiasts.
Recommended to Leon by: Mommy
Mommy found this book on sale and had to get it, with memories of her childhood in mind.

I hope one day I get to experience raising goats for myself, or at least tasting them like I do Buck.

In the meantime, this is a great one to chaw on.
Robin
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Patricia Polacco, lovers of goats and children
Patricia Polacco is an amazing artist and storyteller as well as an entertaining speaker. I love this A-Z book with the beautiful goats that share the author's homestead in Michigan. A favorite of all my students.
Linda
For the younger readers, a poetry alphabet of goats and other human “kids” with Patricia Polacco’s wonderful illustrations. In rhyme these goats and children romp and play, and there’s a sweet surprise at the end.
Rima Aroutiounian
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
What a funny way to design alphabet around goats. This book is really funny and has great illustrations. Each letter and the phrases are written around the goat and their likes and dislikes. Great way for kids to learn new words and remember them.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Patricia Polacco grew up raising goats on her farm in Michigan and this ABC book showcases 26 things she knows about goats in rhyming fashion. Illustrations are fun and energetic just as the goats they are depicting.
Karen
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Patricia Polacco. I was so excited to find this book in board book form. D. is chewing up all of her books now. I need some good sturdy books that are still absolutely charming to read. This fits the bill. Only Patricia Polacco could make an alphabet book this endearing.
Niena Ramirez
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
My group and I read this book as an assignment for class. I like the way the author related each word to a goat, it can be very informational in the classroom, and the illustrations were creative. I may recommend this book to a 5th grade teacher.
Rebecca Dean
This is a great book. Good illustrations. I would use this book while teaching the alphabet or even rhyming.
Spencer
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I love the art in this book. The rhymes are just perfect. I felt like I had a glimpse into living with goats. Also the baby dances whenever I read this.
Sally
Jun 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Who knew there was a picture book for goat-lovers everywhere!?
Katherine
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Baby goats. 'Nuff said.
Kayla
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's hard to make an alphabet book great. In my time as a teacher, I've read TONS of them. This book was interesting and had nice rhyme, but there wasn't really anything special about it.

• Creature ABC
  • So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book
  • G Is for One Gzonk!: An Alpha-number-bet Book
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • The Little School Bus
  • Cock-a-Doodle Dudley
  • Mary Had a Little Jam: And Other Silly Rhymes. Expanded Edition with Twice as Many Rhymes.
  • What Pete Ate from A to Z
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
  • Pug and Other Animal Poems
  • Happily Ever After

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Patricia Polacco is a New York Times bestselling author and illustrator with over 115 beloved and award-winning books to her credit, including The Keeping Quilt, Pink and Say, The Blessing Cup, Chicken Sunday, and Thank You, Mr. Falker. She resides in Michigan.