Start by marking “The Beatriceid” as Want to Read:
The Beatriceid

The Beatriceid

(Spiritwalker #3.5)

A stunning new short story, written in verse, set in Kate Elliott's Spiritwalker Universe

Before Andevai, the waking of dreaming dragons, the war for Europa, and the cruel treachery of the Wild Hunt, cousins Catherine and Beatrice Hassi Barahal were novice students at the Academy. Here, Cat and Bee learned of mathematics and politics, history and storytelling. But not all
ebook
Published December 22nd 2015 by Book Smugglers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Beatriceid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beatriceid

TheBookSmugglers
Yay! THIS IS AMAZING, but we publish it so we are MAYBE biased.

We have a special limited print edition of the booklet - 50 copies only up for pre-order now http://thebooksmugglers.com/2015/12/c...

Leseparatist
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, owned
"I currently have five partially written stories set in the universe ... the last of which deals with... babies."

Give me the babies story, Kate Elliott. Give me the fluff, give me baby dragons, give me Cat & Andevai babies, give me all the babies...

(I also really enjoyed the poem! I'm slightly distracted by the metrum, but I enjoyed the story, it was funny and adorable and made me remember how much I love those heroines and that I should re-read the trilogy one day.)
c,
i really desperately want to reread the spiritwalker trilogy now
Girl
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I want more stories set in the Spiritwalker universe...
Aneta
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The poem itself was alright but it's the essay afterwards that really made the message stand out to me. Elliott's essays are, as always, A+.

"So (...) while I can acknowledge the great achievement of The Aeneid, and thrill to its heroic adventures, I can also get tired of a powerful woman's story of love and rulership being cast as a tragedy when the dude (typically) gets off with a few faint regrets as he trots off to his next conquest."
Suzi
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever, smart, thoughtful, fun. Especially if you spent some time - perhaps a LOT of time - reading the Aeneid in college, and grokking how Dido felt because you too were wildly in love with someone who didn't love you back. This is a lovely piece that goes splendidly with the Spiritwalker series, which I now need to reread (I think about it ALL OF THE TIME). I've had this poem/book for years & it was time to get it off the TBR pile - happy time! Just wonderful.
Mieneke
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasy
It's no secret that I'm a Kate Elliott fangirl. I loved her Crown of Stars series, and last year I raved about both her short story and non-fiction collection The Very Best of Kate Elliott and her YA novel Court of Fives . And I absolutely loved Black Wolves, though I still need to review it—I just need to get past the JUST READ IT impulse and be able to talk about coherently before I do. Anyway, when I saw the announcement for The Beatriceid, I had an immediate case of want; the cover by Jul ...more
Tsana Dolichva
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Beatriceid by Kate Elliott is an epic poem written in the style of The Aeneid but about girls at school and a prank. It is set in the world of Elliott's Spiritwalker books, which start with Cold Magic and which I haven't read.

This poem was shorter than I expected it to be, with the poem itself only taking up about half the ebook pages. The rest of the book was filled with an afterword explaining the reasoning behind the poem, an essay about self-rejection, and an interview with Kate Elliot c
Todd Ross
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fun little "short story" done in the style of an epic poem that riffs on the Aeneid. While I'll be honest that I'm not a fan of poetry, and I honestly hate most Shakespear, I found this one to be ok. But that is mostly because I already know the characters. And to be even more honest, my favorite parts of the whole thing were that the ebook came with a decent amount of musings by the author herself at the end of the story.
Sara Norja
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
An entertaining story (how lovely to return to Cat and Bee - makes me want to re-reread the Spiritwalker Trilogy!), and the poem form is a good choice for it. The iambic pentameter isn't always impeccable, but I'm also just extra picky about poetic metre right now because I just taught a literature course.

I liked the "extras" too!
Glaiza
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have nothing but respect for Beatrice, the orator, in this short epic poem/retelling of the Aeneid. I love how this playful retelling calls out the romanticisation of Roman empire. (The accompanying essay - An Ending I Like Better - explores this aspect too). I miss reading Cat & Bee's adventures, so it was nice to briefly return to their world.
Carolee Noury
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, whether or not you've read the Spiritwalker Trilogy.

(Any WHY haven't you? ;) Cold Fire is one of the best books ever.

But also the extras--an interview with Kate Elliott and her essayss on history and self-doubt, and all kinds of great authorly things.
Chris
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This represents an interesting short retelling of Aeneid, solving a number of the problems I always had with the tale. However, before reading this I had no idea it was part of the Cold Magic series so I feel I missed out on quite a lot by my lack of familiarity with the world.
Casey Blair
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the Spiritwalker series yet, and this is still very accessible. I initially had some concerns about how this story would work with the form, but they proved unfounded: it's fabulous, both in what aspects Elliott takes and what tropes she subverts.
Annette Blackal
Not what I thought

I enjoyed the poem but I thought it was more of a book of sketches with descriptions and tales woven around them.
Dolorosa
Dec 30, 2015
Myth
Mar 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely

Spiritwalker (3 books)
  • Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1)
  • Cold Fire (Spiritwalker, #2)
  • Cold Steel (Spiritwalker, #3)