Start by marking “The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)

The Shadow at Greystone Chase

(Angela Marchmont Mystery #10)

After her bruising encounter with the law, Angela Marchmont has vowed to give up detecting, and is doing her best to forget the events of last winter and the terrible lie she told to save herself. So when a letter arrives from beyond the grave requesting her help and reminding her of the past, she is anything but pleased. Drawn reluctantly into one final case and spurred ...more
Published December 6th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow at Greystone Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow at Greystone Chase

Start your review of The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)
Pauline Ross
The tenth and final outing in the Angela Marchmont series of murder mysteries set in the twenties. Most of the books of this series can be read independently of each other, but this one is the exception: it follows on almost directly from The Scandal at 23 Mount Street and has many spoilers for that story, so if you haven’t read the ninth book yet, read on at your peril.

After the sombre courtroom drama of the previous book, things are almost back to normal here, with ladylike amateur sleuth
Andrea
The final of this series, and a suitable conclusion of the multiple threads that had grown through the series.

I was also pleased to read the author's note at the end, not only for the abandonment of the "found manuscript" fiction, but also because it looks like Freddy is getting his own series.

Highly recommended series to anyone who likes their golden age mysteries.
ShanDizzy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a way to end a series! Bravo Clara Benson. You tied up all loose ends and ended on a high note for Angela Marchmont. Perhaps we will hear from Angela again...
Leanne Pazik
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So sad she is done!!!

Well I finished ALL 20, each one better and more intriguing then the one before!!! I will NOT spoil anything!!!! So I will say, good bye Angela have a great and mischievous future!!!
Elisa
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is how you end a series... I still want more, but I guess that's it, being that Clara Benson didn't write any more Angela Marchmont books. All of her regulars appear to say goodbye, and I really loved where the story ends. Yes, it is predictable and sappy, but I loved it! It's bittersweet, but I will be re-reading this series in the future.
Susan
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh - the last full book in this series. I wish there were more, but she has pretty much wrapped it up. Edgar is dead, but at his request and that of his lawyer/uncle, Angela agrees to go to his childhood home at Greystone Chase to try to prove that Edgar did not kill his wife Selina, although he was convicted of her murder and then escaped; she feels she owes it to him for saving her life. She is still recovering from her own courtroom trauma as told in the previous book, which should be read ...more
Mayten
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I chose this in desperation when I couldn’t find anything I wanted to read. I’d read the first three books in the series and enjoyed them (at least, that’s my memory from several years back.) Certainly, the author’s writing style has improved from the first three to this last in the series. And I tend to enjoy an old fashioned mystery where the reader is restricted to the main character’s POV and what she/he finds out. While that mostly means a series of interviews, it usually makes for a fun ...more
Dorothy J. Barkell
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful storytelling

I had read some of these books in the past, but never put them all together. A few weeks ago I read books 3-6 and realized how much I truly enjoyed them. I couldn't wait to.get to the next one to find out what was happening to.my friends, and especially to Angela. Each book.on its own was interesting and satisfying, but I think once I began to put them together. I realized the big picture was even greater than the sum of its parts. I don't want to spoil the reading for
Scot
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Now that Angela has evaded the hangman's noose and is ready to give up detecting, she gets a letter imploring her to revisit the case of the love of her life Edgar Valencourt, found guilty of strangling his wife over a decade earlier, believed perished in a fatal fall from a bridge after he escaped prison. Although he is dead and gone, he had offered his life to protect hers, and he claims he was innocent. Can she, in this final book, change the status of that ruling and case? Should she ...more
Balaji
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good final book to end the series. If you are looking for a casual 20th century style detective fiction with heart warming characters and witty narrative, you might enjoy this. When you read a long series like this one, one wishes that the characters in the book were real. They are wonderfully portrayed-their behaviour, their idiosyncrasies along with their flaws skilfully captured. After reading this I would like nothing more than to meet these characters in real life and it feels a little ...more
Sherry Cross
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
And so, the end at last

I have now read all of this series except, oddly enough, the first in the series. Had i read that one i might have had a better idea of Angela's age! I'm trying to find that first one, but i must say i have loved them all. I'm not sure about the ending of this one, but perhaps Freddy will hear from Angela & clear up any doubt of her happiness. Loved this series, looking forward to seeing what Freddy gets up to.
Nicole Shames
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A satisfying ending to a 10 book series!

Although sad to read the last book, I was happy to see the series wrapped up with a satisfying ending. I can hold out hope that Ms. Benson sees fit to restart the series set some time later in America. I’m certain that Angela would have lots of adventures in NY post 1929.
Carol
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Lovely Golden Age Mystery

Clara Benson invited me to get to know Angela Marchmont in the first page of Book 1, Murder at Sissingham Hall and I fell in love with her. I have so thoroughly enjoyed every word, every phrase, every description and thankful I caught sight of the first book on Amazon. Thank you dear writer, it has been a pleasure!!!
Sylvia Hopkins-Harris
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous Whodunit!

The last of a ten part series and it didn't disappoint. The relationships of Angela Marchmont were tied up neatly and I loved the results. It's best to read the series in order to see character developments and how the relationships are inner woven in the storylines. No spoiler alert, read for yourself.
ELzabeth Livingstone
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great

I had a ' deal's from Angela for a while but delighted that l resumed with the last two adventures
Brilliant, will take on the New adventures with Freddie? He comes across as mischievous and clever. Will miss the elegant Angela and daring Edgar.

Judith m cox
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

What a wonderful series. I read all ten of these very well written books one after the other. Loved all the characters. The storyline were interesting her good who done it's. Highly recommend.
Margot M. Gregory
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great series

I am sad to say good by to Angela Marchmont. I greatly enjoyed the series. Her moral complexity. The full language. The kindness and humanity. I would recommend this series to my friends and family. Teens and adults.
Cathy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seems to be the last full book in this series and I am ready for it to be over. The murder investigation was a real reach. I know she has spun off the Freddy character into four more books, but I will probably not read them.
Cindy Chambers
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet sorrow

So sorry this series has ended and maybe sometime in the future she will return. I very much enjoyed this series and hope to see more in the future
Cathy Anne
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Marchmount

Oh, how I love all of these stories!!!!!! I’m sad it has ended, but will read on with Freddy . Thank you for your imagination of writing!!! I loved them all!!!
Peggy Rounds
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I don't like writing reviews...fun series!!! Just what the doctor ordered, an English mystery...enjoyable, light, fun... Just want to get this done!!!
Rebecca
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spell binding

I thoroughly enjoyed Angela Marchmont and her adventures. I hope we hear more from her someday and learn of her new life.
Gabi Eagon
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very satisfying.

Of course it's the last tale of Angela Marchmont but(maybe not). I want to believe that she will be back because her life is fascinating and there's more to tell.
Rosemary
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
With this tenth book, Clara Benson wraps up her Golden-Age series about amateur detective Angela Marchmont. In the ninth installment, Angela found herself in the unusual role of suspect, as she was put on trial for her (estranged) husband's murder. That book left many things unresolved, so this one picks up where the previous one left off. Consequently, there's a lot of rehashing that goes on at the outset of book 10. It also felt like we heard the backstory about the final investigation Angela ...more
Melissa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun ending to the Angela Marchmont series. Good wrap up of all the loose ends -- also, clarifies that Clara Benson is a modern author, not writing contemporaneously in the period the books are set in.

Angela is asked by the deceased Edgar to go back and clear him of the crime of murdering his wife. She reluctantly looks into it, eventually aided by Freddy. She talks to a lot of people, and ends up coming to a far different conclusion than the police. In the end, she is successful in getting the
Rosie Chapel
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, the conclusion to the Angela Marchmont series - although it was left open enough for another if the author so chose! I have enjoyed the whole series and, without giving too much away, was very happy to see that several threads were wound up. I like Clara Benson's writing style - fast paced without feeling as though the story is rushed with a plot line that twisted and turned rather nicely. Highly recommend, but you should start from the beginning really, although each story can ...more
Darlene Zubbrick
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sad to see it end.

I have read and loved all of the Angela Marchmont series. This is the last book and I am sad to see it end.

I only gave it four stars because, although the mystery was terrific, I thought the ending was sappy and out of character for Angela. Also, after reading the author's note at the end, I was left feeling deceived. I really believed the story about the old manuscripts found in a trunk in the attic and now feel rather foolish.
Debbie
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! I loved this book SO much!! I am so sad that it is the last Angela Marchmont book but I loved the way everything ended up resolving. Such a very exciting and entertaining series; one of my favourites I have ever, ever read. I can't give it a better recommendation than that!
One thing I will add to this review. Please make sure you read the author's note at the end of this book. And that's all I'm saying!
Betty
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice ending to the Angela Marchmont series. And the writer finally admits the books are her own work and not something she found in her grandmother's attic or some place. Well, we were all suspicious of that and not too surprised.

This series is a fun read and I would advise reading the books in order. You'll enjoy meeting Angela and being in her company for a few weeks.
Katherine Ward
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sorry to read the end of the series.

Enjoyed the characters and the plot. Even the choice of leaving the relationship open ended was a good one. Angela's morality quandary took me deeper into her character. Well done.

• The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • Murder by Plum Pudding (Ginger Gold Mysteries #11)
  • The Saltwater Murder (Posie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • Murder on Skiathos (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 8)
  • The Curse of Braeburn Castle (Heathcliff Lennox #3)
  • Murder in the Shallows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #6)
  • Murder By Chocolate (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #12)
  • Murder at the Boat Club: a cozy 1920s murder mystery (A Ginger Gold Mystery)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Kennington House Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #2)
  • The Burning Issue of the Day (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #5)
  • Death by the Book (Poison Ink Mysteries #1)
  • Murder in Venice (Posie Parker Mystery #6)
  • Murder at the Folly (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #3)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Angela Marchmont Mystery (10 books)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 4)
  • The Incident at Fives Castle (Angela Marchmont Mystery #5)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
  • The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)
“closed expression. ‘What” 0 likes