Start by marking “Mon Chat Le Plus Bête Du Monde” as Want to Read:
Mon Chat Le Plus Bête Du Monde

Mon Chat Le Plus Bête Du Monde

Un album décalé et hilarant où Gilles Bachelet se met en scène pour évoquer les habitudes de son drôle d'animal domestique dans des situations du quotidien : un chat déguisé en éléphant, ça trompe énormément !

«Mon Chat le plus Bête du Monde est un vrai chat. Il s'appelle Réglisse et il a maintenant 14 ans. Il était déjà adulte et pesait dix kilos lorsque je l'ai adopté. De
Published June 7th 2012 by Seuil Jeunesse (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mon Chat Le Plus Bête Du Monde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mon Chat Le Plus Bête Du Monde

Start your review of Mon Chat Le Plus Bête Du Monde
Mir
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
This book, the silliest book about cats in the world.

Kathryn
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thanks!
Funny and very representative of cats...er, elephants.
Mallory
Quirky and offbeat humor. Enjoyable illustrations. Adults (especially those with pet cats) might get more of a kick out of this than their kids.
Karen Jones
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book! It's all in the illustration. If you just read it out loud, it would be incredibly boring. But if you look at the pictures, it's amazing. Perhaps, as an illustrator, I'm biased. But this is a REALLY great book.

Okay, so you can tell by the cover that there's an elephant, not a cat, right? Well, throughout this whole book, he's talking about his cat as if he has no clue that it's actually an elephant. And the elephant acts like a cat.

At one point there's a picture where he draws an
Robert Beveridge
Gilles Bachelet, My Cat, the Silliest Cat in the World (Abrams, 2004)

Gilles Bachelet's cat may, in fact, be the silliest cat in the world. This may have a lot to do with the fact that it's actually an elephant. (This is not a spoiler given the cover picture.) Bachelet relates normal cat behavior, shows an elephant doing it. Voila! Humor. Cute book, recommended for families with both cats and young children. ***
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The narrator of this cute book is obviously unaware that the animal that he's describing as a cat is, in fact, an elephant. What makes this book so amusing is that, in the pictures, the elephant is doing all the things a cat does--scratching its ear with its hind leg, chasing a ball of yarn, sleeping in cozy places, pooping outside the litter box while standing in it (I've had some of those kind of cats!)... Finally we see the narrator, a young man, with a book about cats. Will he finally ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a cute and amusing, and, yes, a very silly book. It is appealing to both adults and children, although I think 4-8 year olds might find it particularly hilarious. There’s one page that has a letter that seems geared to more advanced readers/listeners than the rest of the book, but the entire book can be enjoyed by those of all ages.
Jeana Wert
I really enjoyed this book and i thought it would be a cute book to read to a group of young children. The pictures were colorful and cute. The author talks about his "cat" but in the pictures, an elephant is shown. It was funny to see the elephant trying to use the litter box and i think the children would really laugh at that, also.
Teresa
This book doesn't actually have a story. It's more like a really funny anecdote but the illustrations are truly awesome and go well with the bizarre humor (my kind of humor). A good example of what I mean is the third spread with the skeletal drawing and the letter.
Caterina
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, wise, the secret to happiness, really: it doesn't matter what others think of what you love (or how they name it, for that matter), as far as it makes you happy. One of my favorite books ever!
Silly and fun, a good read aloud, but you need a more rowdy group of kids who aren't afraid to participate! This is definitely one to spend some time looking at the illustrations, which add to the humor.
Enno
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We found this for my nephew and niece. It's hilarious!
Paul
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
So delightfully and obviously preposterous, as a non-cat goes through all kinds of cat behavior.
Savannah Webster
A silly story about a cat that very much resembles, moves, and acts like an elephant. My kids laughed when they saw the "litter box" and they loved the page with different colored "cats" available.
John
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because this elephant gets a new toy on many occasions, but he kept giving it back.
Kate Puleo Unger
Christopher read this whole book without commenting on the obvious element of humor in the book. The "cat" being described is actually an elephant. It's amusing, and he noticed. I'm not sure why he didn't say anything. This book had the perfect amount of words for him to read it aloud without complaint. We enjoyed this one.

Amy Forrester
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Open this book to see Gilles Bachelet’s cat, the silliest cat in the world. He might look like an elephant, but he likes to sleep all day, chase balls of yarn and keep fastidiously clean. Cats like to do all of those things, right? And although he doesn’t always land on his feet when he falls, the Bachelet is very fond of him. Bachelet wonders if he should have chosen a more colorful cat, this one is such a boring shade of gray and although he’s painted many portraits none of them ever sell. ...more
Sarah Sammis
May 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Harriet gets into her reading ruts I like to slip something in to her pile to mix things up a bit. When she was stuck on cats, I was delighted to find My Cat, the Silliest Cat in the World by Gilles Bachelet.

If you just read the words, Gilles Bachelet's cat is like any other playful cat. The cat does all the things cats do. But there's an elephant in the room and yes, that pachyderm is the cat in question.

Harriet has a good sense of humor and a flair for the bizarre. An elephant being a cat
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Shelves: 2007, age-childrens
The illustrations make the text of this story into a joke all ages will understand, as the author describes his cat’s typical cat behavior, while the illustrations show an elephant-like creature. The story ends with, “A friend recently gave me a book about cats… but I wasn’t able to determine my cat’s breed.” Other details will appeal to adults as well, as one illustration depicts a letter responding to the Museum of Natural History’s complaint about the inaccuracy of the previous page’s ...more
Tim Johnson
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-time
Kids really enjoy this as a read aloud, especially if you constantly reference the silly kitty in the book. Kids like nothing better thinking the adults around them are total idiots. Combine that with some litter box humor and you've got a verified winner.

It's funny, I just re-visited this book and noticed that Bachelet had drawn an elephant skeleton with bones in the trunk. I was just thinking that "There are no bones in an elephant's trunk." Then I noticed on the next page a little facsimile
Coenraad
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wat 'n wonderlik absurde boek! Ek het heerlik gegiggel. Die "kat" is uiters goed uitgebeeld in die illustrasies, en die verwysings na beroemde kunswerke lewer 'n soektog van 'n ander aard op. Die vertaling is vlot en die taalgebruik is gesofistikeerd dog toeganklik. Groot pret gewaarborg!

The author / illustrator enjoys his "cat", but cannot quite fathom which kind of cat it is ... The absurdity of the book and the wonderful detail in the illustrations should provide great fun to all readers.
Heidi-Marie
I don't think this one is as funny as its sequel, but I still love the pictures. And I really liked the ending.

10/14/15 Used in Cats & Dogs theme. I had a ton of newbies, and they just couldn't grasp the humor of an elephant being a cat. They didn't see the silliness in it. And when I asked them to tell me things going on in the pictures, they didn't say anything. It usually takes newbies a few weeks, but it's always sad to be near the end of a session, get newbies, and lose out on a book
Ladychow666
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a silly story about a cat as narrated by owner, though we come to learn that the owner is the silly one since his cat is actually an 'elephant' but don't try telling him that.

I volunteer to read at a local school, specifically to a special ed class with 4 boys about ages 6 and 7, when I started reading, they all told me they hate reading and books, etc. Well, they absolutely LOVE this book, and after a month, they are still talking about this book and want me to bring it in again.
Zinnia
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I brought this one home from the library to read to Kira (my cat) at bed time. She definitely thinks the book is interesting but her attention span only lasts about two pages at a time.

I'm partial to children's books anyway and this one is both fun to read & fun to look at! I will probably have to go buy myself a copy at some point. For now, I'll keep renewing it. (Hooray for online renewal!)
Jrowe
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
Batchelet, G. (2006). My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World New York: Abrams Books for Young Readers.

Self-Selection - Picture Book Soak

I did not enjoy My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World. I think that it was meant to be funny, because there is no cat; just an elephant acting like a cat. I just wasn't amused and didn't "get it". The illustrations were predictable. The elephant was shown in many contorted positions acting cat-like and that was pretty much IT.
RachelAnne
This book cracks me up. The narrator talks about his silly cat, who behaves rather like a typical cat—but the illustrations show an elephant. This is particularly hilarious when the elephant takes certain feline poses, like bathing himself with a leg in the air, or sleeping on top of the television. Ages 3-8
Jess Brown
I adore this book, specifically because just seeing the title reminds me of all the little giggles I hear when I read this story out loud. The premise of the book is all you need to know: though the book reads "cat" the illustrations show an elephant doing all the "cat" actions. Kids crack up. It's simple, silly, and lots of fun. Perfect for preschoolers!
Chris Young
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways the narrator's "cat" is just like any other, but there's also something very strange about this cat that he just can't put his finger on. Very charming illustrations that had me chuckling out loud, sometimes it's enough just to sit back and enjoy the silly.
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

I thought the book was funny, but I do not think Wesley understood the humor about calling an elephant a cat.
Karla
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Kids will giggle over the pictures and the idea of an elephant acting like a cat. Very clever, funny illustrations. Not the best storytime read-a-loud, but would be good for one-on-one when you can talk about the pictures. Adults will appreciate the art references and humor.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • Froggy Gets Dressed
  • Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Pinkalicious
  • Nanette's Baguette
  • The Beauty That Remains
  • Bad Kitty Scaredy-Cat
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Pressure
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
Gilles Bachelet pasó su infancia en los Pirineos. Luego de dos años catastróficos en Paris, en los que frecuentó más el mercado de la rue Mouffetard que el Lycée Henri, sus padres lo mandaron a una pensión. Pasó los siguiente siete años con los sacerdotes y laicos del oratorio, en Saint Lô. En 1971 regresó a Paris y se incribió en la Facultad de Artes Decorativas. Allí pasó cinco años. A partir de ...more