Start by marking “Der elektrische Mönch: Dirk Gently's holistische Detektei (Dirk Gently #1)” as Want to Read:
Der elektrische Mönch: Dirk Gently's holistische Detektei (Dirk Gently #1)

Der elektrische Mönch: Dirk Gently's holistische Detektei (Dirk Gently #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  98,100 Ratings  ·  2,483 Reviews
Richard MacDuff arbeitet als Programmierer für eine erfolgreiche Software-Firma und hält sich für einen der normalsten Menschen der Welt -- bis sein Leben eines Tages auf höchst merkwürdige Weise aus der Bahn zu geraten beginnt. Sein neu gekauftes Sofa bleibt in einer nach gängigen physikalischen Gesetzen vollkommen unmöglichen Position auf dem Treppenabsatz stecken. Die B ...more
Published 1988 by Rogner & Bernhard (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Der elektrische Mönch, please sign up.

Jason Holt I thought The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul was much weaker than Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. So if you read the second one and it isn't…moreI thought The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul was much weaker than Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. So if you read the second one and it isn't your cup of tea, you should still try the first one.(less)
Olivia anybody can enjoy it! sure maybe weird poetry knowledge would enhance the experience but its not a prerequisite wtf kinda pretentiousness is this…moreanybody can enjoy it! sure maybe weird poetry knowledge would enhance the experience but its not a prerequisite wtf kinda pretentiousness is this other commenter? I read this for the first time in early highschool and it easily became one of my favorites (less)

Madeline
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still don't really understand how the ending of this book worked, and trying to describe the plot would be like trying to build a submarine out of cheese. Instead, I'll just share some quotes from this book that I especially loved, because Douglas Adams is the only author in the history of the world who is capable of creating them.

"'A horse?' he said again.
'Yes, it is,' said the Professor. 'Wait - ' he motioned to Richard, who was about to go out again and investigate - 'Let it be. It won't b
Bradley
I last read this when I was really young and was shortly getting off a fantastic kick of HHGttG wanting MORE, as, I assume, most people do when they get on a Douglas Adams kick.

Like the other series, every page is filled with wonderfully witty and fascinating and wise (crack) quotes that will delight and amaze and generally blow most writing away by the sheer audacity.

To think that Douglas Adams never considered himself a writer! Truly amazing. And of course us fans just snicker at that and keep
Fabian
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it an audacious thing to say that Mr. Douglas Adams is hit or miss?

Yes. (Well, & not really "audacious"...)

Good. Here is a fun (and I mean FUN) book, rife with what is absurd and comical in certain sciences that dictate what the world is--I know my math teacher in high school was mad about him. And it does seem as though there is an intended niche audience already built for this type of literature: more literary than, say, Piers Anthony but not character-driven, nor truly dearly dramatic.
Manny
Apatt
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
“He instituted this Chair of Chronology to see if there was any particular reason why one thing happened after another and if there was any way of stopping it. Since the answers to the three questions were, I knew immediately, yes, no, and maybe, I realised I could then take the rest of my career off.”

Books by Oscar Wilde, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams have (at least) one thing in common. I can easily pick funny, witty, interesting quotes from every page. The above quote represents Adams’
Shurrn
I am a firm believer that a bit of British humor is good for the soul...
And I am quite American, in case you did not know...

“Don’t you understand that we need to be childish in order to understand? Only a child sees things with perfect clarity, because it hasn’t developed all those filters which prevent us from seeing things that we don’t expect to see?”
Douglas Adams has a highly quotable, laugh out loud writing style which I adore; I seem to remember a blurb describing this book as The Hit
Ian Wood
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: douglas-adams
Douglas Adams' underated masterpiece leads Dirk Gently from a search for a missing cat to unlocking the secrets of time travel and saving the human race from total extinction.

I thought no-one could write a better comic novel than 'The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' until I first read this. I've subsequently re-read this novel countless times and it never fails to entertain, I'm still finding references to literature and popular culture that I've previously missed.

That a novel can be re-rea
Robin (Bridge Four)
From the title you would think this is possibly about a detective agency. Well there is an agency but they don’t detect things in the normal matter. You should probably guess that since it is a Douglas Adams book and when has he written anything really normal (I mean that in the best way).

Nope for this book “Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”

There is craziness, absurdity, the intercon
Trish
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Douglas Adams by coincidence. I found his book Last Chance to See, co-written by Mark Cawardine, about animals near extinction and Douglas' and Mark's trip around the world to see some of them, in a box with "Mängelexemplare" (old books, sometimes not in top condition that are therefore sold at a reduced price). His humour stood out even in the German translation and when I told a friend about it, she told me all about an odd-sounding story about a guy hitchhiking across the galaxy ...more
surfmadpig

I recently watched the pilot episode of Dirk Gently and loved it. So, naturally, I picked up the book. Now this order of doing things is often frowned upon by many people, including me, but sometimes things just happen.

The reason I'm telling you this is that I was slightly let down by the book, having seen (a version of) Dirk Gently in action before reading about him. There just wasn't enough of the detective in the book, while he (both versions) is such an interesting character. And yes, it wa
Kris Larson
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
Hysterical. If you liked The Hitchhiker's Guide but thought it could do with fewer spaceships, try this. If you're shaking your head in bafflement, thinking "Fewer spaceships? Do you want to ruin the whole thing, woman?" try this. If you've never read any Douglas Adams at all, try this. If you like things that are good, try this.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure my best friend hated it, and she does often like things that are good, so maybe it's not for everyone. But try it anyway.

"He was rou
David
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this book. I love it far, far more than is in any way reasonable. It is possibly Douglas Adams' strangest work, and it is far and away my favorite. It makes almost no sense unless you read it twice or more. And a good knowledge of the content and composition of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Kubla Khan and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is essentially required to understand many of the jokes and much of the plot.

Because, as it turns out, the linchpin upon which history turns, upon which depen
P. Aaron Potter
It's all about the couch.

Allow me to elucidate. Doug Adams book. Funny? Sure. Satirical? Check. But would you have guessed intricately plotted?

Adams, who practically invented the vein of British literary humor now being minted hand-over-fist by Terry Pratchett, is in fine form with this novel, his major work outside the Hitchhiker's universe. We get the same bumbling protaginsts, the gently affable quasi-villain, the apocalyptic-threat-which-is-not-a-threat, the deft one-sentence-paragraph narra
Lubinka Dimitrova
The classic, beloved, brilliant, wacky Douglas Adams, with his penchant for paradoxes and meaningful nonsense and his totally absurd humor. It would be hard for me to chose what I loved most from this book, but I think it was the decision-making program that allows you to justify practically any outcome by back-tracing from the desired result - that could come quite handy, no?
But apart from all this, the book is quite well thought out, with a self-consistent detective story and an imaginitive an
Cyndi
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robot monks, ghosts, murder and add a bit of The Doctor. But since it is Douglas Adams, don't forget the towel.
Scarlet Cameo
May 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-16
Lectura con el grupo 221 b Baker street

Falta de ritmo, largos tramos aburridos, personajes muy poco interesantes, pasajes largos desconectados casi por completo de la trama principal y un misterio falto de elementos para interesar al lector son la formula para el desastre de este libro.

En la ficción hay algunos recursos que son díficiles de trabajar, a mi parecer uno de los más complicados son los viajes en el tiempo, no importa cuanto humor le imprimas, y vaya que Adams le pone mucho, este pue
Nikki
One of the most annoying things about reading the Kindle edition of this book was the fact that popular highlights show up and you can't turn them off, at least not easily. It drove me mad. It was inevitably the parts that you'd pick out as funny for yourself, not anything surprisingly good...

Anyway, I grew up with Douglas Adams' work in the background, on the radio while we ate or while me and my sister played after dinner and my dad tried to relax. He's a big Douglas Adams fan, though he stick
Aslı Dağlı
Çevirinin ve düzeltilerin kalitesizliğinden ötürü yarıda bıraktım. Kitabı orijinal dilinde okuma fırsatını elime geçirdiğim an buradaki yorumum güncellenecek.
Damla
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doğrusu beynim güzel yandı.
YouKneeK
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot more than I expected to. I had read the author’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy about 20 years ago and, while I remember finding it mildly amusing and clever at times, I also found it too unrealistically silly to take seriously and didn’t much care for it. My memory of that book is too fuzzy for me to say if this book is significantly different in style, or if I’ve just become more tolerant of the type of humor. I do think Pratchett’s Discworld series taught me how to enjoy ...more
Jacob Overmark
To prove the theory of the interconnectedness of everything Ill grant 3-4, possibly 4 star.

I have learned a lot. How the dodos became extinct, how to computer simulate the movements of a sofa while it gets stuck in a stairway and how an abacus can work in mysterious ways.
Not least have I come to know the origin of the albatros in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a thing that has puzzled me for billions of years.

Im still very much in doubt when it comes to the death of Gordon Way, but it just ma
Kaethe
1988 The plot gets a bit muddled at the end, but I dearly love this book. And the sofa.***Sept 10, 2012This may be one of the few books that is more rewarding to re-read. Now all those random scenes make sense.In fact, my reading pal at the mini mart and I were talking yesterday about how hard it can be to read Adams the first time. That you have to just stick with it, and hope it makes sense at the end. [It won't, it'll still be muddled nonsense, but it'll be funny nonsense] This reading what ...more
Michael
I read the prologue in a bookstore when it came out in 1987 and had to have it immediately. Adams just has a way with words that produces great comedy and irony.

This is a wacky romp with so many plotlines and ideas, very few authors would be able to tie it all together. But Adams does it with style and humor, and you will be left with a true awe of "the interconnectedness of all things".

Reread 1/30/2014: Just as brilliant as I remember. I actually had forgotten that some of the themes regarding
Rory
Feb 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British comedy fans
I recently re-read Dirk Gently, since the first time I read it was in the seventh or eighth grade, and so I really didn't remember much of it. I must say it is absolutely fantastic. It is one of the few books which as I read it I was imagining what you could do for a film version. I think it would be a fantastic work to bring to the big screen, particularly after the modest success of Hitchhiker's...

That said, I love Douglas Adams. The man was a genius at creating characters, and the Gently seri
Jon
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams fans
Adams' first fiction foray into a world other than the one(s) created for the Hitchhiker's Trilogy is a treat: a detective story filled with the same bizarre happenings and twists, described and narrated in Adams' inimitable comedic style. Unlike the Hitchhiker's books, however, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency was written to be a stand-alone story, with a definite beginning, middle, and end. In many ways, this was Adams' first attempt at writing a proper novel--and he succeeds wildly. I ...more
Brian Rogers
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book. Not only is it personally evocative of my 80's childhood, but I think it really is the most enjoyable of Douglas Adams works (perhaps only Hitchhikers surpasses it). The plot is nicely twisty, unfolds at its own pace and in some odd ways (you can really see British SF/F techniques of cold opens and asides that make no sense until much later in the story that are meant to set you questioning and draw you in), and hangs together well. The characters are all likable: while th ...more
Becky
Probably 3.5 stars for this one.

As usual, I quite enjoyed Adams's humor and brilliance, but this one, to me, isn't his best work. It seemed rather... erratic in the beginning and then a bit hurried at the end. It was very speculative, and very contemplative and assumed that the reader (or in my case, listener) was keeping right up, but I don't fault Adams for that. I don't want the book to dumb anything down for me. Although, if it dumbs things down for a character in the book, that's perfectly
Kim
Not as light as the early Hitchhiker books this book is a lot heavier and grimmer though the humour of Douglas Adams shines through from time to time. Written with all the confusion I expect from his work this an interesting, twisted story. I can't say I enjoyed it as much as the Hitchhiker books but it wasn't too bad.
Josh
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laffs
Inexcusably unread for 37.5 years, remedied over a couple of days at the beach.
♥Xeni♥
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all sci-fi fans... and humor fans... and paradox fans!
What did I think? Hmm... I thought that this book was amazing. Mainly because I totally sync with the author's writing style, but also due to the plot, the characters and the subject matters he deals with in this book!

I saved so many quotes to my iPhone while reading this... my poor Notes app is overfilling! But let's not get ahead of ourselves. First off, Adams is just a genius writer. I do believe that everyone can agree with that sentiment. His Hitch Hicker's Guide to the Galaxy series is on
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Starship Titanic
  • Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion
  • Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle: Witch Mark
  • The Automatic Detective
  • Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
  • East of Ealing
  • Feet of Clay (Discworld, #19; City Watch, #3)
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide, #6)
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words: Volume 1
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was co ...more
More about Douglas Adams...

Dirk Gently (3 books)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Salmon of Doubt (Dirk Gently, #3)
“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.” 3349 likes
“Don't you understand that we need to be childish in order to understand? Only a child sees things with perfect clarity, because it hasn't developed all those filters which prevent us from seeing things that we don't expect to see.” 776 likes