Start by marking “Signs of Attraction” as Want to Read:
Signs of Attraction

Signs of Attraction

Do you know what hearing loss sounds like? I do.

All my life I've tried to be like you. I've failed.

So I keep it hidden.

But on the day my world crashed down around me, Reed was there.

He showed me just how loud and vibrant silence can be, even when I struggled to understand.

He's unlike anyone I've ever known. His soulful eyes and strong hands pulled me in before I knew what
Published June 14th 2016 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Signs of Attraction, please sign up.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

She looked at me, and I didn't know what to do. What could I possibly do to make up for what she'd been through? I kissed her, soft and sweet, doing my damnedest to let her know she was loved, cared for.

I had no idea this was gonna be one of those books.
You know the ones I mean. The one that slowly creeps up on you and suddenly you're sobbing and then smiling on a loop. Yes, you're an emotional mess. I started this book with absolutely no expectations. Firstly let me explain that I love this
Kristiej
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5+ out of 5

I really have been enjoying so many books lately that I’m looking for alternative superlatives other than ‘I really enjoyed this one’ or ‘I loved this book’ or this book is really good’ so this is my lead of sentence for this one.

This book is the BOMB! I’m not quite sure who I found this one, I troll through so many different places now, AAR, GoodReads, Amazon, following up on what other readers with similar tastes have enjoyed and a lot of inexpensive books. But I bow down to whoeve
Shanny
What wonderful, beautiful and inspiring story this was.
This story was interesting and unique as both of the main character had hearing problems.
Carli and Reed were really great characters, their story was really emotional and beautiful.
Laura Brown did absolute amazing job with the writhing, she made me care and the more I read the more invested I became.
If you're a fan of romance and are looking for something different then should give this one a try!
Julia's Book Haven
This is probably one of the best books I've read this year. It has a unique story and characters and is incredibly well written. Carli and Reed over come so much and you are right there with them cheering them on. I loved every minute of this book and I would recommend it to everyone!

Seriously, read this book.
Laura Brown
May 26, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
SIGNS OF ATTRACTION is a story from my heart. At its core, I wanted to write about the journey I went through, from being uncomfortable with my ears, to loving myself as is. I wanted to create a story depicting two different kinds of hearing loss, front and center, from an author who is part of this world.

The characters took over from there and I'm so glad I get to share them!
Alaina
Signs of Attraction was so freaking good! Hot damn, I am full of emotions right now and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them. I'm like a hot mess right now.

Carli and Reed were MY everything. Yes, I say that a lot with couples that I fall in love with but with them, it's 100% true. Not that I'm lying about all the other ones but damn, their love was real, genuine, and utterly amazing. The writing was magical and beautiful as well.

Carli and Reed were amazing. Carli and is losing her h
Izy
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC was provided by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Carli is a senior at university and is learning to be a teacher. She’s hard of hearing. All her life her father/her family to an extend has treated her like she was a freak. They made her feel like she didn’t belong with them. Which is why Carli never learned ASL or got any other help/support for her needs. She basically hides herself, her disability, her problems from everyone around her. She has been striving to look perfect e
Debbie I Heart YA Books

Where do I start with this deep, emotional story? It’s difficult to go into detail without spoiling anything. Signs of Attraction is a story I can easily identify with, because of my own hearing loss and the problems I now have because of it. I fell in love with Reed and Carli's story. Reed is a beautiful deaf man. Even though Reed can't hear with his ears, the man can hear with his heart, and oh how Reed can speak with his beautiful heart. Carli is hard of hearing; she uses hearing aids, but it
Beverly
Inspiring and Beautiful Story. Not just a love story. It's a story of learning, re-discovering yourself, overcoming fears, forgiving and giving you a second chance to start your new beginning
 photo tumblr_n641qzphOX1tnvw9eo1_500_zps2cec04b2.gif
 photo tumblr_inline_n3iqs5iTZ31suk512_zpsde998370.gif
Jacque
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As lame as this sounds, I actually decided to read Signs of Attraction because of DWTS. I’ve seen the book pop up a few times in my feed and found the cover and blurb interesting. I passed on it because I usually don’t read NA or contemporary romances. However, after being trapped at my friend’s house watching DWTS, the subject of deafness was on the forefront of my brain. So once again, I checked out the blurb and decided to give it a chance.

Wow…just, wow. This was a fairly amazing read. The t
Loz
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a cute, sweet romance. light but still had you connected and invested in the characters lives and choices. i liked both leads quite a bit. reed is deaf and is very comfortable in who he is in life. carli is hard of hearing and struggling in where she fits in. i felt for these two at times and watching them fall in love made me smile. it was a quick read. nice little romance. it's not an overly sexed up book full of drama for the sake of drama. it was pretty much just what i needed to cl ...more
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Signs of Attraction is about two college students who have very different histories and experiences with hearing loss. When Reed notices Carli struggling in class, he befriends her and introduces her to his Deaf friends. Carli and Reed quickly become a couple, but Carli’s struggles to accept her hearing loss might undo everything.

The main characters have not only different levels of hearing loss but also different family histories and means of coping.

I f
Lucie Paris
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like looking through a beautiful window into the heart of two private strong people.

This love story is a sweet one, very well written, where you enter into the world of deaf and hard of hearing people. It's full of simple details of the daily life that help us to understand how it can be difficult to adapt into a system who is made for people with good hearing.

I've liked the close community who behaves like a second family for Carli and make her feel welcome. And Reed was really a wonderful char
Heather Van Fleet
If you're looking for a new adult that steps beyond the normal, then you've looked in the right place. Signs of Attraction absolutely blew me away. So much sweetness, so much sexy, so much EVERYTHING. Endearing, diverse characters, a simplistic, yet amazing plot line. Carli and Reed are amazing characters and their story will suck you in like no other. I very much rec this emotional NA. It's one I know I won't soon forget.
Jess
I had a really long and thought out by my standards review written and then goodreads ate it because the shelves weren't there, so this won't be that, but I do think it's important to try to recreate part of it.

This book was hard for me to read. There are a several reasons for this.

1) This is a very heavy book. At various points, the characters deal with suicide (being suicidal and dealing with being the survivor), domestic abuse, TBI, and drug abuse. I was not expecting that based on the blurb
Andrea
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW I have never seen so much of myself in a MC before. I absolutely loved Carli. The fact that she struggled with chronic pain and concentration issues struck such a deep chord with me. There were parts that had me crying because of how accurate it was and seeing that this author could actually understand what happens to you when you have chronic pain. Carli was lucky that drugs help, I'm not that lucky.

I absolutely loved Reed too. He was kind, patient and emotional. I loved that he expressed
Maggie (mugandnook)
Apparently it’s Read a Romance Month? Also, @diversebooksclub launched their new website and I was surprised to see my face front and center. I was featured a while back to share my story of being hard of hearing and wearing hearing aids. These two coincidences make this book review particularly well-timed.
@bookish_nel has been chatting quite a bit about reading romance and how there shouldn’t be any shame for what we choose to read. Romance continues to be the best selling genre of books, so t
CeCe
05/04/18 - I read the sample, but not sure it is worth $2.99. I will wait for it to go on sale.
Ashy Khaira
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-pie
Catherine (The Sassy Bookster)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book because the blurb really doesn't say much, but one thing is sure - this book should come with a warning label that requires a reader to keep a box of tissues handy because it left me in tears and gave me a new appreciation for the challenges faced by people with sensory limitations that we take for granted every day.

Carli Reynolds is a 21-year old college senior who uses hearing aids, but the lack of support from her family has left her feeling out of
Stephanie
This is a solid NA romance featuring Deaf and hard of hearing characters. It was given to me by some publishing friends who know I love Colleen Hoover, and I’d probably recommend it to other coho readers as well.

The writing flowed nicely and I sped right through it. It was a bit heavy on the soap opera angst— more than CoHo if that’s possible. We were already dealing with heavy issues, only to be pummeled with even heavier, darker drama. It began to detract from the relationship and my personal
Haziqah Idris
Urghhhhhhhh.
Reading this because i just went for free 2 hours class for Malaysian Sign Language.
I was search all across Goodreads site for the deaf characters and this book popped in the list, so, i just try and read it.

Overall the story is average. It open my mind on knowing the surrounding and environment of the deaf people. It is really interesting since Reed was deaf since small and Carli hard of hearing from her injury. Reed and Carli have kinda sad life stories and I was impressed with Car
Casey
Find this review and more at Ramblings From This Chick

Signs of Attraction is the first book that I have read from Laura Brown and I loved that it was something so different from everything else out there. I have not come across many books where the main characters have hearing loss or are deaf, so I was really looking forward to experiencing that here. I think that the author did a great job in tackling the subject, and I think a lot of that came from her own experience with hearing loss which s
Beth
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy cow, what a ride. This book did a really great job of putting the reader in the shoes of both a deaf person and a hard of hearing person, allowing us to see what their lives are like, how they differ, what problems they face, but also how capable they can be despite the "disabled" label. There were also some really heavy issues tackled like suicide, drug abuse, and family abuse. I wasn't expecting it to get as dark as it did, but that made the climb to the resolution all the more satisfying ...more
Heather
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Signs of Attraction is easily the best romance novel I’ve read in a long time. This story features a Deaf character (Reed) and a hard of hearing character (Carli), and follows their journey as they not only fall in love but also learn to define themselves. The writing, with its mixed feel of literary and contemporary, grabbed me from the start. Reed and Carli each have a unique voice that jumps off the page and encourages the reader to continue. In addition to the swoony romance, I also love the ...more
sparklyunikorn
Wow, I can't remember when was the last I picked a UNIQUE book and this book, my dear friends, are one of it!

The lead characters in this book is a deaf hero and a hard of hearing heroine. I was wondering how the conversations would take place and it turned out different! And I was okay with it, as long as I didn't get confused.

Admittedly, I had a rough start at the beginning. Luckily, things got interesting after 50% onwards. Overall, it was a good read!
J. R.
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is so refreshing to read a book with a different romantic lead. We need more books like this. I absolutely loved Reed! I love learning about different experiences when I read. The author brings you into this couple's' world very eloquently. Oh. And did I mention, I LOVE REED!
Kylene
I loved this book! Reed is such a strong character. Carli is just as strong (even though she doesn't realize it), but in a different way. Their story made me cry and feel right along with them!
Mood Reader
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. Such a great story with characters that will steal your heart away. I laughed, I cired and I fell in love. Looking forward for more from this author.
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
When you can’t communicate with the world at large, you hold on to the ones you can communicate with a little bit longer.

When I was asked to read and review this title, I was a bit skeptical as the author was new to me. However, when I read the blurb, I was intrigued and so I decided to give it a chance. I am so happy I did. I found Silent Attraction to be a unique, fascinating, uplifting and heartwarming read.
I figured based on the blurb that the story was going to take me on an emotional rid
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Man Like Mac
  • Stud for Hire (Stripped Down #1)
  • Blind Love
  • SEALed with a Promise (SEALed, #2)
  • Once and For All (American Valor, #1)
  • Forever Grace (Ever After, #2)
  • Hero of Mine (Men in Uniform, #2)
  • Alone in the Ice World
  • Shooting Dirty (Dirty Eleven, #2)
  • 30 Lays in 30 Days: The List 1
  • Stiff Penalty (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #6)
  • The Untouchable Earl (Fallen Ladies, #2)
  • Anywhere
  • One Cut Deeper (A Killer Need, #1)
  • To Portland, with Love (The Story of Us, #3.5)
  • A Texas Rescue Christmas (Texas Rescue, #2)
  • Lawyer Up (Meeting Men, #2)
  • In His Hands (Blank Canvas, #3)
Laura Brown lives in Massachusetts with her quirky abnormal family. Her husband’s put up with her since high school, her young son keeps her on her toes, and her three cats think they deserve more scratches. Hearing loss is a big part of who she is, from her own Hard of Hearing ears, to the characters she creates.