Start by marking “Heart of Ice (The Snow Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Ice (The Snow Queen, #1)

Read Book

Heart of Ice

(The Snow Queen #1)

Rakel, a princess by birth, has spent most of her life exiled on a barren mountain, despised because of her powerful snow magic. Though she longs to be accepted, she hides in her ice-castle and lives with the fear that her brother—the King—will one day order her execution.

Her empty life changes forever when an army of magic users—led by the enigmatic Colonel Farrin Graydim
Published December 17th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Ice, please sign up.
Georgia The next book in the Snow Queen series was released in February, the next book in the Timeless Fairytale Series, Swan Lake, was released in June and S…moreThe next book in the Snow Queen series was released in February, the next book in the Timeless Fairytale Series, Swan Lake, was released in June and Sleeping Beauty, the following book in the series, is expected to be released in December(less)
Georgia This whole series is being made into paperback, if you go to K.M Shea's blog it has the details under "coming soon"

Start your review of Heart of Ice (The Snow Queen, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

MY SECOND FAVORITE BOOK OF 2016! YES!!!!

Rakel has been exiled most of her life for having magic. Her parents sent her away and her brother who became King kept her away as well, but they will need her help to fight to keep them all alive. Ironic....

Princess Rakel made an ice castle for herself to live in, she has a loyal man that has been with her the whole time named Oskar and he is awesome, he is more than just a mere servant. She has a few guards that are
*❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆*
A fabulous prequel to the Timeless Fairytale series!
This series of the Snow Queen takes place centuries before the first book of the fairytale series. I highly recommend you read this series before starting the fairytale one. Unlike me, I was suppose to read this before I read the Frog Prince (Book 9) but instead I read book 9 first 🤦🏻‍♀️ silly me
But despite that, I love this book!

A magic user, a exiled princess because of her magic possession of snow and ice, she is hated and feared by her f
Hollie
Elsa has nothing on this Snow Queen!

This was such a creative and unique fantasy. I definitely think it was more YA but it never at any point felt juvenile to me. There was no sex, no profanity, it was quite PG but done quite well. I tend to prefer more "adult" style fantasies but this one never had a YA feel to it for me personally. Here is my breakdown:

Pros:
* LOVE this book cover
* This was an amazing fairytale
* Lots of action
* I paid $3.99 for this yesterday, but I now see today that is offered
Tricia Mingerink
I can't believe I didn't review this on Goodreads when I read it the first time! I know I have a review of it on Amazon, but apparently not here. Oh, well.

This is one of my favorite of all of KM Shea's books. I'm not sure I have a favorite, because I love most of them so much it is hard to choose, though this one and Cinderella and the Colonel are probably my top two.

Like all of KM Shea's book, this is a light, fluffy, quick read with a lot of humor and action thrown in for good measure. Unlik
Megan Olguin
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was promising... but I have to say I was let down. The characters were so very underdeveloped. The main character, Rakel, was boring, dull and one dimensional. Phile was a random girl who showed up out of nowhere and became her instant best friend for no real reason. Farrin is a random man on the other side who is fighting against her but is already in love with her after maybe 3 short conversations. Oskar and Havlor are basically the same man. Everyone is handsome. Everyone loves Rake ...more
Darque  Dreamer
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart of Ice is elegantly enchanting. It is a faerietale for fantasy lovers. Shea has done an exceptional job with pulling you in to a story full of wonder, humor, and magic!

The Plot: Princess Rakel has been exiled to her castle of ice since discovering her magical abilities as a little girl. Always living in fear of not being accepted by her people, and the possibility of execution from her royal family, Rakel's life has been sheltered to making ice sculptures and living through the books in he
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I read this book for a Goodreads book club that I am in. It took me a bit to get into this book but it happened and by the end I was so involved I didn't want to put it down. I've already picked up the next book and will read it when I have an extra minute!

Content: mild violence

Source: Kindle Unlimited
Melissa
I always like Shea's fairytale retelling. This one took me awhile to read. It just seemed to drag a little in places. I loved the story over all and went on to read the 2nd book Sacrifice. These are great for younger readers. They always have a good message of hope and love.
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
A full on winter-war book!

I love it! I didn't think I needed an "Elsa" book, but clearly, I DID. I SOOOO NEEDED ONE! ^_^

It's one of those books where you feel like you already know the character right off the bat, but you were wrong. Haha! I love how "RAKEL" was able to surprise me at every turn. I mean she is the snow queen, but she's also something more! I love that how her strength and vulnerability come together to form such a great woman. She's an amazing queen and if I were a queen in a f
Book Chomper
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Having very much enjoyed the Hall of Blood and Mercy trilogy. My first experience with this author. I decided to give more of her work a go.
I think my biggest problem with this book was that I wasn't sure how to classify it, besides NA fantasy. It certainly isn't a romance. The H, Farrin, kisses Rakel on the cheek on the second to last page - that's about as steamy as this book gets. The very last page of this book Rakel finally understands that Farrin likes her in a romantic sense - as she has
Lillie
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. I saw the potential: the writing wasn't bad, the world building was good (for a shorter novel), and some of the characters really interested me.

but

One-ONE- fucking character in particular pretty much ruined this book for me. The fact that she's in a large part of this book was what really pushed me over the edge. I had to take breaks or skip over scenes with this character in it entirely they annoyed me so much:

Phile, the daughter of some notorious female thief who's
Sam
May 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book could have and should have been amazing. Unfortunately, the writing style was unsophisticated to the point where what should have been really exciting battle scenes were as mundane and boring to read as a lengthy description of a leaf. It needed better development, more exciting descriptions, fast-paced action, a more detailed exploration of the backstory and context and more gripping characters. That said, I did finish it and I'm slightly intrigued as to what happens next, although I' ...more
Syd Jacobs
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I missed K.m Shea! Her books are like a warm fuzzy blanket, steaming cup of hot coca with a big melting marshmallow, and a soft cuddly cat all wrapped up in one. She has grown into my favorite author. I loved this book, loved Rakel, and basically all other characters involved. If you are looking at this review, you are on the right track. Read this book! Ms. Shea, all I have to say to you is:
Write more! Much, much, much, more! ;)
Hala
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow that was good, I only wish the romance was developed a bit more through out the story.

I like all of the characters. Each and every one of them is dead to me 😻
Coralie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
You know, I've always been intrigued by the Snow Queen story. Perhaps it was the old children's show I had, or perhaps it's the rarity of the tale. Either way, something about the story draws me in, so I was definitely curious about this retelling.

I very much enjoyed the twist on the tale here. Shea takes a classic villain and puts us inside her head. She's constructed a society and a world that has isolated her out of fear and ignorance. I mean, at least they spared her life, right? We're told
Rebekah
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this author's novels and have downloaded several since the first one I read Beauty and the Beast!

I really enjoyed the main character Rakel. I enjoyed her perception, her loneliness, her friends, her power and now her rise.

I enjoyed immensely the world Shea produced, I literally could feel the chill and enjoyment that comes from snow, I could picture everything so clearly it was awesome.

I really enjoyed Farrin, he was very intriguing and awesome. I felt however with HIM in cha
Deanie Nelder
Princess Rakel has spent her life despised for her power over snow and ice, isolated in an ice castle, wondering when her brother, the king, is going to order her execution. Until one day, when the kingdom is attacked by outsiders who also use magic, and she has to decide between saving the people who despise her, or betraying them to be with people who appear to value her contributions. This is complicated by her relationship with Captain Halvor, who was her jailer, and now is wiling to fight b ...more
April
4.5 Stars
A novel that had me rapidly going through its pages, and leaves me eager to pick up where this novel left off in Book 2! Filled with charming characters, humor, action and a hint of romance on the horizon, Heart of Ice is a delightful read.
While this novel takes place in the same world that the Timeless Fairy Tale series exist in, this one takes place centuries before those novels. For those who have read the Timeless Fairy Tales series they will recognize mention of the Snow Queen in
Lynn
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series overlaps with this author's fairy tale series. It could be considered a prequel but it isn't necessary to read prior to the other books unless you want to pick up on the subtle references you'll occasionally find.

I really enjoyed this book duet plus the extras given in a third book. I fell in love with all the characters.
Leia Rose
Great plot, loved the changes made to the story. I really enjoyed the descriptions and how the story played out.

HOWEVER, I had some character issues and one minor plot issue. First of all, if the goal of the invading army is (view spoiler) then WHY would the guy leading the whole shebang not be heading up the northern army? Why did he send one of his underlings to take care of the north while he handled the south? Also, the capital with th
Camryn Daytona
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first self-published book I've ever bought on Amazon. I've ended up with a few because they were free, but this one was the first I've purchased.

I loved it.

It made me laugh several times when I was in such a bad mood that I thought nothing would make me laugh and I can't wait for the next book to come out next month. (in the meanwhile, I might check out some of her other books.)

Rakel was a wonderful character, and someone that I could really get behind. There were some mysteries le
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
This was okay, I felt like the characters didn't have much depth though. Phile was the worst- she just turned up from nowhere and fully supported Rakel for reasons unknown and her character seems designed to help Rakel appreciate everything she has more rather than being a character in her own right- she felt like a manic pixie dream girl. Rakel is also a very brooding and angst filled charater- I get it life has dealt her a shit hand but she's not much fun to read about.

It also frustrates me t
Rebecca Kellogg
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytales
Amazing

Goodness I'm so frustrated. I really need the next book to be available! I think that this is the best book yet in the series. The characters are well developed and show growth, and the story plays with many universal themes. I really enjoyed reading it, and I'm looking forward to February when the next book comes out.
Gardavson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Very nice, fun read. Loved the heroine. She is the perfect blend of strength and vulnerability. The side characters are great and boost the story well. I wouldn't say the end is a cliffhanger, but the story is getting exciting and now we gotta wait. If the next were available, is be all over it.
Bunnyk
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely!

I normally hate writing reviews for books - so many books, so little time to read! - but I'm taking time out just to say - if you like retold fairy tales you'll probably love this. I wanted to give it 6 stars. Book 2 is out in February... I'm counting the days!
Edith
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved it so much! Can't wait for the next book.

I must say, I'm shipping Rakel/Farrin from the start and this plan of "trying to win him over romantically" from the Chosen seems it would be so much fun. Also: Steinar - > what is wrong with you?! I want to know more about him.
Tiffany
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Amazon membership offered this book to read for free so I thought,
"Why not?" I would have given this book 3.5 if I was allowed. ;-)I was highly entertained and I really enjoyed it. Loved the characters. I will read more in the series if the author is signed to do more!
Jyl
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Shea. One of my favorites. So creative and exciting. I can't wait for the second book to come out.
Dana Bybee
DNF
Sorry I couldn't get with Rakel... She annoyed the hell out of me. Glad to hear lots of people enjoyed it tho
Emily S.
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Shea's fairy tales. This is another great one in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kindle Unlimited ...: Heart of Ice by KM Shea 1 7 Apr 16, 2017 07:05AM
The Book Crafters: Compare to Other Versions 1 6 Jan 17, 2016 07:44AM
The Book Crafters: Writing Impact 2 5 Jan 17, 2016 07:31AM
The Book Crafters: Chapters 15-17 1 2 Jan 14, 2016 05:09PM
The Book Crafters: Chapters 11-15 1 2 Jan 14, 2016 05:07PM
The Book Crafters: Chapters 6-10 1 5 Jan 14, 2016 05:05PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 08, 2016 08:56AM

• A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • The Coronation Ball (Four Kingdoms, #2.2)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • The Princess Search: A Retelling of The Ugly Duckling (The Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles, #3)
  • The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Midwinter's Wedding: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (The Four Kingdoms, #3.5)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

The Snow Queen (2 books)
  • Sacrifice (The Snow Queen, #2)