Start by marking “Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation” as Want to Read:
Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation

Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation

The classic short story--now in full color

Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" continues to thrill and unsettle readers nearly seven decades after it was first published. By turns puzzling and harrowing, it raises troubling questions about conformity, tradition, and the specter of ritualized violence that haunts even the most bucolic, peaceful village. This graphic adaptati
Published October 25th 2016 by Hill and Wang

To ask other readers questions about Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery", please sign up.
Jessc I agree. I was really disappointed in that section of the book. I understand it is his interpretation, but I feel it was unnecessary for the plot. As…moreI agree. I was really disappointed in that section of the book. I understand it is his interpretation, but I feel it was unnecessary for the plot. As a former English teacher, I agree that it will prevent English teachers from being able to use it to reach reluctant and struggling readers.(less)

Start your review of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation
Julie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
It all started about a week ago.

I was headed out on a walk, and before I even made it to the base of my driveway, I felt someone's foot give a hard shove to my lower back.

I fell onto my knees, sparing my face from hitting the concrete with the palms of my hands, then quickly turned my head to the right, just in time to sense the image of a full-figured gal, walking straight toward the garbage bins.

“Tart,” she sneered, as she blew a lung's worth of smoke out of the left side of her
David Schaafsma
"Tradition!" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

Hyman is Jackson's grandson. He was three when she died. The main thing he knows about her is her writing, chief among which is one high school freshman English staple for the past few decades, "The Lottery," which illustrator Hyman did not illustrate for more than thirty years of knowing about it. Too big a mountain to climb, maybe. One day it just came to him how to do it. The story is not just something from the canon, though, it is a much de
Cyndi
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Of course the story is chilling, but so is the art. Jackson's grandson is the artist and it is obvious that he respected her talent. The story was originally written in 1948, so it is the threshold of more stories like it. When you read it you'll think of movies, tv shows and novels that used this formula.
Teresa
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miles Hyman, Shirley Jackson’s grandson, has written a memorable five-page preface to his adaptation of her famous story. In it he recounts a ceremonial family tradition of the playing of Jackson’s ornate Victorian music box. Since I recently reread The Lottery, it was easy for me to immediately catch the contrasts I believe he was making with the ritual of the plain wooden box in his grandmother’s story.

As he also explains in the preface, he has retold The Lottery faithfully but in “an entirely new language,
Kristina Horner
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I randomly stumbled across this graphic novel in an airport and read the whole thing in the store, standing up, between flights.

I first read 'The Lottery' back in high school and was completely taken with the story, so I was excited to experience it in this new way many years later. I thought the art style was aptly bland in all the right ways, letting the story's quiet beginning sneak up on you as tension rises. It definitely embodied "Random Town, USA". I liked how casual everyone
Negin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
It’s October and I figured that I’ve never read anything for Halloween, so I decided to give this a try. I haven’t read the original short story, “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. This version is a graphic novel adaptation created by her grandson. I was looking so forward to reading this, having heard so much about her books. Since I haven’t read the original, I cannot compare the two, but honestly, I thought this book was mundane and really quite boring.
Brierly
I'm going to go ahead and give this one high marks because I love it as a project. Grandson provides graphic novel adaptation of his grandmother's writing . . . in this case, grandmother is Shirley Jackson. I am admittedly a huge fan of Jackson, especially my favorite We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Don't just read this. Read "The Lottery" several times and fall in love with the understated atmosphere. Then, read Hyman's beautiful tribute to the grandmother who passed away when he was three
Elizabeth A
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, graphix
I love the original short story, and I knew better, but was intrigued. The author is Shirely Jackson's grandson, and the introduction where he talks about the family traditions was an interesting read. However. I really liked the art in this, the colors, the ambiance, were all good, but somehow it did not work in toto. It might be because it lacks the punch of the original story, and something is lost in the adaptation. If you have yet to read the original, skip this and read that.
Michelle Morrell
A quiet and affecting version of The Lottery, written and illustrated by Shirley Jackson's grandson. The art is quite lovely, just a little too much repetitive standing and gazing. Definitely worth a read.
Megan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Having recently read The Lottery, I was excited to find a graphic novel adaptation of the short story. This one didn't really meet my expectations for a few reasons.

I think Hyman did a fantastic job of capturing and illustrating the somber, unsettling, and downright creepy mood of the story. I got some flashbacks to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village; a town which obviously drew a lot of inspiration from Jackson's quaint yet deeply fucked up town.

The art quality is fantasti
Megan Hornberger
I liked this graphic novel as a nod to the short story, but the lack of text took away from the emotional tugs I wanted, even the suspense. The art is lovely, but it doesn't tell the story. I needed more. More of what they were feeling, their anxieties, their nervous excited energy for what's about to come. I could clearly see fear and apprehension, but that's it. I was hoping this graphic novel would give me a more well-rounded perspective on the town. Alas.

Some have called this dystopian, but
Tina
Amazing artwork in this graphic novel adapted by Shirley Jackson's grandson. The pictures show the tension & fear. Words are not necessary to feel the emotions in this version.
Nanette
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

Reading books leaves one to use their imagination to visualize the progression of a story. Graphic novels picture that progression. Read The Lottery awhile ago, so I decided to read the graphic novel. The graphics within the story really added to its tension. I enjoyed that addition. I also did not look forward to reading a graphic novel and I am glad I did. It added to the description of the storyline. I think graphic novels can add dimension to certain topics. I also enjoyed the fact that the
dirt
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Like everyone else's review: Just as disturbing as the book.
Chelsey
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I love that this was done by her grandson!

Mehsi
Read this one in Dutch, but will be writing my review in English.

I read this story a few years prior, it was a shocking and amazing story, and so of course I had to try out the graphic novel of it when I spotted it at the library on Saturday. I was hoping it would be a great adaptation of a haunting story, and in a way it was. But I think that due to me knowing what is going to happen the thrill wasn't there. The excitement, the what will happen? from the first time has disappeared.<
Licha
I have not read the original version so I don't know how this stands in comparison or as a companion piece. The graphic novel was actually done by Shirley Jackson's grandson and he writes that it took him many years to finally decide to take the story on.

There's a lot of build-up to the actual story so not much action happens for a good two-thirds of the story. When we finally get to the actual lottery, you get an idea of what is about to happen but it still made me gasp to actually
Shayne Bauer
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this haunting story in many years, but this version made me recall all of the uncomfortable feelings from my initial read. The book is illustrated by Jackson's own grandson who delivers the story through simple images. If you are a fan of the original, you'll want to check this one out.
Melissa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
My local library has gotten a few graphic novelizations of classics lately, and this seemed a great way to revisit an old classic in a new way. It still holds the ominous buildup of the original, and the graphics done by Jackson’s grandson work great with the original story.
Kris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The short story “The Lottery” is stunning and chilling. The graphic adaptation does not do it justice. Skip this, and read the original.
Paul
The graphic novel version added nothing to the story and I think detracted from the tension of the original.
Shayna Ross
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
It is just simply impossible to compare to the original story that inputs such dread and fear into your blood. The graphic adaptation is fine, as an adaptation, but don't read this unless you have definitely read the original story.
Steph
This is a nicely-done little graphic novel. But I have to admit, I preferred the brief preface to the adaptation itself. Having read Shirley (a historical thriller about Shirley Jackson and her family), I'm enchanted by the idea of eccentric Shirley Jackson and Stanley Hyman living in their cozy home at the campus of Bennington College in rural Vermont, hosting other artists and making art.
No one knew it then, but these were members of a disappearing tribe, an endangered species in the American cu/>
Reading is my Escape
Jackson's grandson takes on her classic story...
Miles Hyman is the grandson of Shirley Jackson, and he has adapted her classic story into a graphic novel. The artwork is gorgeous and the faces full of expression. The graphic novel format adds another dimension to this creepy tale.

There is a bit of brief nudity which I don't really see the need for, but it isn't too graphic (just a woman taking a bath).

I enjoyed this version and it stays faithful to the original.
Katie Logonauts
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Interesting adaptation, but why the nudity? It added nothing to the story other than making it difficult for teachers to use it.
Chris
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Horrifying mundanity, that is probably the best description of The Lottery. A [very] small town in rural [presumably] America every year holds the Lottery. Everyone gathers, everyone draws, and there is one pick. (view spoiler) The bizarre and horrifying part of it is that it is just what you do. It's a part of life like mowing your lawn and that's about how people think about it. There is talk of ...more
Neil R. Coulter
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was sitting up on a shelf in the library, and I couldn't resist taking it home. I often find graphic-novel adaptations of literary works to be difficult--there just isn't space to put a whole novel into that format, and for me, losing all the words removes a lot of the joy, even when the illustrations are great. So I was intrigued by an adaptation of such a short, spare story. Maybe it would work better.

I think it does, but it's still no substitute for the original story. Miles
Kate
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson is one of those short stories that haunts you long after you read it. This graphic novel, illustrated by Jackson's grandson, brings the brief text to life. I don't feel like this had the same impact as the story, but that might have been because of the shadow that story cast. Mostly, I was a little confused by the precise rules for the lottery and the disputes over how it wasn't done right - I don't know why I remembered it being simpler in the story, but this re ...more
Joseph R.
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Miles Hyman is the grandson of Shirley Jackson, so I'm sure that getting the rights to make a graphic novel version of the story was not so difficult. He's worked for many years adapting novels and short stories into graphic novels but he didn't take this on for over thirty years. He finally came on a way to tell the story visually that would respect the story and leave him satisfied as well.

The story is intriguing and unsettling. A small town holds an annual lottery that people are
Prince William Public Library System
The graphic novel adaptation you never knew you needed! Created by Shirley Jackson's grandson, this graphic novel is based on her short story "The Lottery." Yes, that one. The one you likely read in AP English and Freshman Composition that you had to take a walk after getting through.

It's the same story; Hyman doesn't alter his grandmother's words. A small town carries on a tradition of "the lottery" in which one member of the village is killed. Is it fair and square? Nope. And seein

• Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
  • Le jardin de minuit
  • BUZZ!
  • Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • The Lindbergh Child (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Come Again