Start by marking “The One Real Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #1)” as Want to Read:
The One Real Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #1)

The One Real Thing

(Hart's Boardwalk #1)

Welcome to Hartwell, a quiet seaside escape where uncovering old secrets could lead one woman to discover the meaning of a love that lasts…

Published September 6th 2016 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The One Real Thing, please sign up.
Jeannie Zelos I'm also a reviewer. I rarely post pre publication ( only if author or publisher requests) as I like to do all reviews at once, on or just after they …moreI'm also a reviewer. I rarely post pre publication ( only if author or publisher requests) as I like to do all reviews at once, on or just after they are out. I do use reviews though to see if I'm likely to enjoy the novel, being unable to read samples on ones not yet out, and with descriptions often being brief or non existent. When you've a choice of so many books you need some way of filtering and early reviews are very helpful. On all my reviews I try hard to make sure there are no spoilers - they don't worry me but I know many people hate them. (less)
Christine In no way are these books on par with her Dublin Street work. In fact she has quite a few clunkers in the lot you mentioned. The last book I read and …moreIn no way are these books on par with her Dublin Street work. In fact she has quite a few clunkers in the lot you mentioned. The last book I read and enjoyed was Fight or Flight. I started the One Real Thing but returned the rest of the series to Amazon (yes it was that bad and boded ill for the other books and my money is precious). I hope she finds her footing and while I don't expect Dublin level work I think she needs to heavily weigh what works and stick with it. Hope this helps.(less)

Start your review of The One Real Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #1)
Christy
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-audios
 photo 6E19D9E6-6247-4179-BD75-9ECB9476BA0F_zps1jkvrdey.png
It’s never too late to change the road that you’re on.

If you’re looking for a sweet, emotional and sexy romance that takes place in a charming small town look no further. The One Real Thing is just the book for you! When I saw Samantha Young had a new series out, I couldn’t wait to read it. There was so much I loved about this story! It was near perfect for me. I definitely can’t wait to continue with the rest of the series!

Our story starts with Dr. Jessica Huntington. Jessica wo
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

A great start to a promising new series!

Samantha Young is one of my all time favorite authors, it's rare when she delivers a book I don't enjoy. While this book is definitely a change of pace compared to her past books, I enjoyed it all the same.

Jessica Huntington is a doctor for a woman's correctional facility where she finds a few letters that are forty years old who never reached their intended recipient. Her vacation time is coming up soon, so she decides to spend it at Hart's
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

➦This is a story about taking chances, opening yourself up to new experiences and finding happiness in unexpected places.

➦Jessica, the heroine of this novel works as a physician at the women's correctional facility where, one day, she finds a stack of love letters. She then realizes that the woman who wrote said letters has passed away but never had the chance to send out the letter to the love of her life.

➦Being overwhelmed by the tragic love story, Samantha takes a much needed vacation to th
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The One Real Thing
Series: Hart's Boardwalk #1
Author: Samantha Young
Release date: September 6, 2016
Cliffhanger:No

Prepare yourselves, this could be an uncontrollably gushing review. I loved this book that much. It's rare when a story's pieces fill every space you didn't know you needed filling, and that's what this one did for me. I've liked a lot of books, but when you feel that rightness wrap around and encompass you every moment while reading it's something completely different. From t
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo 6b9a4133978ce67d83e1361c80a10f_zps4inggywr.gif

The first time I read the On Dublin Street, I was addicted. Okay, I will admit I was obsessed with the series and anything related to Samantha Young. Yes, I was that reader who was sad when the series came to an end. Long live Braden and Jocelyn. So as you can tell, I am a BIG Samantha Young fan. I love the way she can make your hearts go pitter patter and at the same time have you blushing. The way she tells a story is somewhat poeti
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
3-3.5 STARS

The One Real Thing is the first book of a new series by Samantha Young.If you are a fan of her like me then you definitely will be excited as much as I was when I started.Samantha Young has a way with her words captivating the reader and traveling us through her stories.

description

This story was good,I didn't find something that I didn't like but also I didnt find something to impress me and keep my excitment.The beginning was too slow for my taste but I can understand that it's a new series so
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q: “We’re in our thirties, not dead.” (c) You find some old letters, take an unusual vaacation and everything changes overnight. Troubled heroes, love story, blah-blah. But I loved it.
PS. I want a book about Emery.

Q:
“You read thrillers?” She didn’t seem like the thriller type. She seemed like the magic and fairy-tale princes type.
“I read everything,” she replied softly (c)
I SO loooved that our protagonist went to a bookshop while on holiday. I'm kinky and I know it!
Q:
“What else do you like to
Katy Loves Romance ❤️
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4.25 Doc Stars

"It's never too late to change the road that you're on."

photo B319975C-0E09-459C-91ED-9D6B65229D3B_zpshcpoyfku.jpg

Have you ever been at a part in your life where you are feeling lost maybe? Tired? Stuck in one place, not really moving forward? Well that's how Jessica feels like.

Jess is a Doctor, a doctor at a lady's prison facility. She works in a place where she feels like she is needed. She helps, and maybe even tries to understand them. Yet she never does anything for herself. That is until she finds a set of letters from 40 ye
Sabrina
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The One Real Thing is Samantha Young's debut into a new series focused around a quiet seaside town in Delaware. The story follows Dr. Jessica Huntington to the town in hopes of giving truth to a man who has been without it for too long. Jessica works as a Doctor for prison inmates and while working she finds a series of letters from a past inmate who has passed away. Reading the letters, she learns the tragic past of the inmate and her one true love, and her heart breaks for the couple. She deci ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁

Fun enough start to Young's new series, but there were some seriously cornball moments (like the heroine referring to herself as needing "a little something something"), so I can't give it full marks.

Kind of felt like a cross between whatever that Jill Shalvis HARBOR series is called (LUCKY?), and anything KA. With Young's trademark hideously painful dark past thrown in, of course.

Full RTC.
Eliza

The One Real Thing is Samantha Young’s eagerly anticipated introduction into her new Hart's Boardwalk series. It’s a charming small town romance set in an idyllic town full of characters who are begging for their stories to be told. In short, post reading I can confidently say, be prepared to loose your heart in Hartwell.

For Jessica Huntington, Hartwell is the perfect location when she finds herself at a crossroads in her life. Working as a Doctor in a women’s prison, she is lead to Hartwell wh
♥Rachel♥
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I loved the premise of The One Real Thing and I’ve been a big fan of Samantha Young’s romances, but this didn’t hold the same magic for me as her previous books. I had a really tough time even getting into the story. I didn’t feel connected to Jessica. I didn’t even know what her true issue was until about 75%, and even then it wasn’t all revealed, so it was hard to have sympathy for her when I had no idea what was going on. I didn’t feel much chemistry or emotion for the romance either. Cooper ...more
Claire
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series
3 - "If you're destined for true love, you'll find it on the boardwalk..." Stars.

The first book in Samantha Young’s new Hart’s Boardwalk series offers an interesting introduction to the seaside town and its residents through the telling of Jessica and Cooper's story.

It’s been a while since I have read anything by Samantha Young, in fact it is approaching the three years mark, so to say that my reading tastes may have changed in the interim is most definitely true, but I also wonder if the author
Aestas Book Blog
Dec 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
**** SOUNDS GOOD!!! ****

While Doctor Jessica Huntington engages with the inmates at the women’s correctional facility where she works, she’s always careful to avoid emotional attachments in her personal life. Loss and betrayal taught her that lesson long ago. But when she comes across a set of old love letters in the prison’s library and visits the picturesque town of Hartwell to deliver them to their intended recipient, she finds herself unable to resist the town’s charm—and her attraction to t
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4 Small Town Love Stars
I love Samantha Young. I will admit that I cried sad tears when her On Dublin Street series ended. I could have read tons more books in that series, but I was beyond excited and happy for The One Real Thing.

The One Real Thing is a standalone and it’s completely different from the On Dublin Street series. I feel like The One Real Thing is a bit tamer and more chick lit, but it still has the steam I crave for in any Samantha Young read.

Jessica isn’t an ordinary doctor. She w
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4 ★'s

Ms. Young's On Dublin Street series is one of my favorite series and has a couple of my favorite book boyfriends so naturally, I had to check this series out.

Jessica is a doctor at a women's prison and finds some letters left years ago by a prisoner. The letters touched something inside her and when her vacation plans fall apart, she decides to take the letters to their intended party.

Unfortunately, the recipient is away at the moment but it's fortunate for Jessica because she falls in l
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

OK...where to start. I had some problems with the book...
First about what I loved: the characters, the location, the whole boardwalk atmosphere!!!
What I didn't like... The main part about the story: the letters from prison - got totally lost after Jess arrived in town. George is in Canada and bam, we never talk about those letters again until the end when he comes back. That was a bit weird.
The story just drags along once all the introductions to the town and its people are made.
BUT, as I menti
*TANYA*
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Samantha Young's stories keep getting better and better!!! Great book to start off this series. I'm really looking forward to the next book in line!!! ...more
Michelle
*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Amazing just amazing

I 've read On Dublin Street years ago an I 've luvd everything that this author as done since so I was really dyin for this book I got sucked into this straight away an I couldn't get enough the story it was great as was the characters I just know this series is goin to b as good as On Dublin Street series

I luvd Jessica's character she is so caring an kind an would do anything for anyone
Lyndy Ann ♫
******5 Hartwell stole my heart stars*****

I absolutely adored this story if I could I would give it 10 STARS, everything within these pages just worked for me I cannot remember feeling so passionate about a story and the characters while reading I could not put this down I had to get some answers to the many questions I had in my mind.

What is Jessica’s big secret?
What would happen with George and the letters?

I went into The One Real Thing only having read the blurb avoiding all reviews I do this
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Boardwalk Stars

I wanted a perfect ending. Now I have learned, that some poems don’t rhyme, and some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what is going to happen next. It is a Delicious Ambiguity:

à la Mode St. » fashion

”If you’re destined for true love, you’ll find it on the boardwalk.

à la Mode St. » fashion

Love Letters. Do kids these days even know what a letter is? I need to teach my kids to write letters because it is so classic. The love letter story really grabbed my attention at the beginning. I wish this story lasted throughout the book instead of just the beginning and ending. This book is about finding yourself and starting over. I loved the setting of the boardwalk and the comfort of it. I felt like
AJ
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“It’s never too late to change the road that you’re on.”

4.5 fated stars

OMG, I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK! I love the story, I love the town, I love the characters, I love the romance, I love it all!

I was so excited when I saw that Sam Young was starting a new series, and this series opener is a delicious little read that I happily lost myself in. Set in the small seaside town of Hartwell, Young has created an almost magical setting where a group of unique characters work in the small stretch
Beatrice Masaluñga
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
I always look forward whenever Samantha Young has an upcoming novel or series. Her romance novels are beautiful, compelling, romantic, passionate and emotionally stirring. The One Real Thing is a delightful start and I really enjoyed it.

Jessica Huntington is a doctor at a women's correctional facility. She's simple, down to earth, passionate, sweet and a bit lonely. She doesn't have a good relationship with her family and remained distant for years. Mostly, she keeps in touch with her best fri
~Stéphanie's Journal~
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coup-de-coeur, arc
Stand-alone
HEA: (view spoiler)
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Trigger: (view spoiler)

I fell in love with one of the most beautiful story, and not just a love story, nope the entire book.
description

Samantha Young is as usual a wonderful storyteller. She has the incredible ability to make you crave for more. I coudln't have enough of what is happening on the boardwalk. I couldn't get enough of Cooper and Jessica.

I've read most of Samantha's on Dublin
Ⓐlleskelle - That ranting lady ッ
Review to follow...

Arc provided by the publisher in exchange for a review.
More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too ☞
★★★½
The One Real Thing is the first installment in Samantha Young's adult contemporary romance series titled Hart's Boardwalk. This story features likable characters with tortured pasts, the beauty of giving ourselves permission to start over, and a sensitive perspective of caring for other human beings who have made mistakes. The One Real Thing was pleasantly enjoyable but I was hopeful there would be more attention and substance given to the "found letters" component of the story. Overall thou
Izy
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, contemporary, 2016
Rating~ 3.5- 4 stars

“If you’re destined for true love, you’ll find it on the boardwalk…” ~Hartwell legend.

Dr. Jessica Huntington while working on her shift as a prison doctor finds letters love letters addressed to the man of the writer’s affections, she feels a connection to the writer. Her heartbreak and story bring out a flood of emotion in Jessica.With her upcoming vacation and her best friend unavailability, she decides to go to Hartwell the town which was once home to the writer of the le
Julia's Book Haven
I loved this book. It's one of those books that just gives you a warm fuzzy feeling the whole time you're reading it. Jessica was such a deep and interesting character and Cooper really was 'the perfect guy' I found myself wishing he would jump off the pages and become real :)

Really excited about this series and I hope the rest are as good as this one.
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
*** 3.5 stars ***

I have so much to say about this book. It was good!! I really liked it. And also, there is so much potential in this new series. Full review coming soon.
1-Click Addict Support Group
I was drawn into this book immediately. I mean, a doctor in a women's prison finds decades old love letters and travels to a small seaside town to return them to their rightful owner, stumbling upon love along the way? That is not only up my alley, but it's basically exactly where I live. Meaning, this book was a sure thing for me and I was sucked into it almost immediately.

Then...I sort of lost my way in the middle a bit. There's a lot of exposition, a lot of characters introduced, and a lot of

• Kiss of Vengeance (True Immortality, #2)
  • Outmatched
  • Bound by Forever (True Immortality, #3)
  • War of Hearts (True Immortality, #1)
  • One Last Dance (One Last, #2)
  • The Invitation
  • Liebst du den Verräter? (Matching Night #2)
  • Forsaken Trail (Runaway, #4)
  • Happily Letter After
  • Wrecked Palace (Wrecked, #3)
  • Perfect Wreckage (Wrecked #2)
  • The Bribe (Calamity Montana #1)
  • The Rivals
  • Sweet like you (Honey Springs #1)
  • Hard (Sexy Bastard #1)
  • Wild Creek Love: Liebesroman
  • Reckless Memories (Wrecked, #1)
  • The Player Next Door
Samantha Young is a New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. She's been nominated for several Goodreads Choice Awards. Samantha writes adult contemporary and paranormal romance, YA urban fantasy and YA contemporary fiction and is currently published in 31 countries.
She resides in Scotland.

Hart's Boardwalk (4 books)
  • Every Little Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #2)
  • Things We Never Said (Hart's Boardwalk, #3)
  • The Truest Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Stuck in the past? Move on with Samantha Young's pick-me-up romance The One Real Thing, the first in a new series! She answers your questions about...
“It’s never too late to change the road that you’re on.” 11 likes