Start by marking “If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)” as Want to Read:
If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)

If I Only Had a Duke

(The Disgraceful Dukes #2)

After three failed seasons and a disastrous jilting, Lady Dorothea Beaumont has had more than enough of her family's scheming. She won't domesticate a duke, entangle an earl, or vie for a viscount. She will quietly exit to her aunt's Irish estate for a life of blissful freedom. Until an arrogant, sinfully handsome duke singles her out for a waltz, making Thea the most popu ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published August 30th 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about If I Only Had a Duke, please sign up.
Cyn I was wondering the same thing. There could be stories for Patrick, Lear and the Doctor. Not only would they be good stores but we could have a little…moreI was wondering the same thing. There could be stories for Patrick, Lear and the Doctor. Not only would they be good stores but we could have a little more of Charlene, Thea and Alice. There could also be a story for Jane. (less)

Start your review of If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
Lenora Bell
Aug 18, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this
I wrote this! What? Sometimes I still can't believe I'm a published author. This takes some getting used to, you know? I spent years doubting myself and thinking that I could never finish a book much less sell one. Why should you read this book? Well...Heroes and Heartbreakers said it was: "full of funny, sexy crazysauce" and I think that about sums it up. This is a wild, reckless, rollicking ride through Regency England and Ireland with a renegade vigilante duke and a determined, independent he ...more
Somia
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Dorothea (Thea) Beaumont has had three horrible seasons and a wedding day that didn't end in her marriage, all of which led to harsh whispers and cruel laughter. Banished to live with her aunt in Ireland she is happy, but when she is called back for another painful season she prays she can blend into the walls and quickly return home to Ireland. But when the Duke of Osborne dances with her, in what appears to be a sign of approval, the fickle Ton rather than distain her start to rush her, t ...more
✨ Gramy ✨
** Contains mature themes **

'If I Only Had A Duke' is Lenora Bell's second book in her Disgraceful Dukes series. The Disgraceful Dukes Regency series is a debut by Lenora Bell. It was definitely an escapist's delight in entertainment. The quick pace and pleasingly captivating combination of sensual romance, delightfully unconventional characters, witty dialogue, and fabulous humorous banter provides the tale with an overwhelming success

The duke ruined her plans and he'll just have to fix them
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
If I only had a Duke is the second book in The Disgraceful Dukes series. I read the first book, How the Duke Was Won, earlier this spring and I found it quite good. I'm very pleased to say that If I Only Had a Duke is just as funny to read as the first book in the series. I chuckled aloud several times during the first 1/3 of the book. Also, I really like this series heroines. They are all so bloody funny and feels refreshingly stubborn and independent. And, that, despite living in a time when w ...more
Jenna Friebel
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thea is the best. <3 Also, Lenora Bell's writing is gorgeous. Can't wait for the next book in the series! ...more
Izy
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rating ~ 4-4.5 stars

This was my first read by the new historical romance author Lenora Bell but it's definitely won't be the last. I had a blast reading this one. I am really looking forward to the next book in this series and as I write this I'm already starting the first book in the series.

Lady Dorothea Beaumont likes living in Ireland with her aunt far away from London and the eyes of the society, this is would be her last season which means no more balls and parties, no more marriage tal
Jan
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
It was OK. Pretty forgettable. I've already forgotten the MC's names, and I only finished it yesterday :( Oops.

I thought I'd try a new author, but Lenora Bell's not for me, I'm afraid. I didn't hate it. It did start off quite well - light and humorous and fresh. But, fresh started to quickly go stale.......... About a third of the way in the cute and funny banter was getting old, and there was a sameness about it all. I started to not care that much. By 2/3 way through I was skimming.......

I a
Esther
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would give this a 3.5 rating.

Short review on just a couple points.

This had a pretty good story line, but at times got lost with all the side plots added to the mix.

I at times found some scenes to almost have missing parts. Jumped from one scene and then felt like I was in another and not sure how I got there (hoping this makes sense and I'm explaining myself here).

Both characters were likeable and good chemistry.

Natalie
Artmesia was trying to tell her something. the mask Dalton wore had slipped and shattered. She knew the real man now. And her own mask wasn't needed anymore. The timidity. The nervous giggle. The fear of failure. In such a short space of time she'd become something wholly different.

And by giving her this gift, Dalton was trying to tell her something as well. He believed in her dreams and her goals... and he wanted to be part of them.

(Easily a 4 star book. I will reconsider if it's a 4.5 or more
Shannon
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books, romance
Definitely deserving of 5 + STARS.
Simply wonderful! Lenora Bell is a master storyteller! This book made me laugh and cry and was altogether quite satisfying. I will be reading more.
Em Wittmann
Aug 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I gave this a D- at All About Romance.

If only If I Only Had a Duke had actually been about marrying a duke! Unfortunately, there are plots, subplots, tangents, overly complicated lead characters – he’s a hybrid secret vigilante/rake hero, she’s a timid and shy (but not really) heroine; supporting characters who are overly familiar and inappropriate (‘buddy’ manservants); extreme versions of common stereotypes (overbearing mothers and grandmothers); too perfect friends; and finally, so many liber
nick
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, adult, arc

Lenora Bell's The Disgraceful Dukes series is turning out to be a delightful historical series. If Only I Had a Duke might only be her second book, but already she has positioned herself among my favorite historical romance authors, Tessa Dare, Lisa Kleypas and Sarah MacLean. This book had me smiling, laughing, swooning and even shedding a tear!

I love how Lenora Bell crafts strong and independent female heroines. Thea was a darling of a heroine. I was curious about her in the previous book and w
Amanda
This was a very fun, cute read. It featured a lot of tropes I tend to love: bantering leads, classic road trip shenanigans, a matchmaking man servant, a grumpy duke, a spirited wallflower, sexy times on a ship, etc. Thea for me was the standout though. I identified with her feelings of inadequacy and admired her journey to self assurance, aptly rubber stamped by Dalton’s total awe and confidence in her and her dreams. I also liked how she drew much of her strength from her love of art, which was ...more
Angie
Seeing as this is my first Bell novel, it took me a while to get into her writing style and flow. She writes in way that's kinda choppy at times, but I eventually grew to like her style with the storyline and characters because it just worked.

I loved this historical--it had a feisty and smart heroine, a devil-may-care sweet duke, an adventurous plot with a driven focus and flowing plot, a 'villain' that we learned to hate, and great secondary characters that worked to push the MCs together when
Ginger
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Decent characters, plot was good and fun book to read!
Avid Booker
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Don't Mind other side Character's stories taking a little space in their Romances
First OFF, lets not EVER compare this to the glorious magnifiecence of A Week To Be Wicked. I'm sorry, this story just didn't have that kind of charm or humor. That's first. 2nd, it was good, but some things left me dry.

Okay, so lets start of with the similarities of this and A Week To Be Wicked. A rake and normal girl(she's of the ton, but barely). Check. Someone in the story makes up wild tales. Check. It's a road trip romance. Check.
Now that we got that over with. Let's get on to the charact
Stephanie (Jump)
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars
This started off brilliantly. Their letters back and forth, the way the hero misunderstood the heroine as a marriage scheming miss, the sparks when they met that first time on the dance floor of a ballroom. The flowers going back to him with that note. So good.

Somewhere halfway when they start to get along it loses some of its magic and steam. Dalton's mysterious alter ego was hard to believe. But I have never been into the whole (view spoiler) tro
(Nat) Reading Romances
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Lenora Bell is an author you should be reading.

If I Only Had a Duke fulfilled all my (high) expectations! And let me tell you, I haven’t read a historical with such hot sex scenes in a good while. They were very well written.

I’m only confused by the title, because the heroine never wanted or needed a Duke as part of her life plan. So I suggest it could’ve been titled as “How to topple a monumental duke”! HA!

I was so sad when it was over. I want to read more by Lenora Bell ASAP! She’s got a new f
Dragana
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I Only Had a Duke reminded me why I fell in love with historical romance genre. While it needed maybe a bit more editing since sometimes some phrases and words were repeated too often, the fun it provided made up for it.

If you like historical romance novels that feature:
+ Mouthy on-the-shelf heroine
+ Brooding duke
+ The-clash-of-wills romance
+ Intriguing side-mystery and quest
The If I Only Had a Duke will offer you a delightful, relaxing love story.
Erin Kelly
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-historicals
LOVE LOVE LOVE! Ok, so it is only fair to mention that I teach fine arts, so when this heroine longs to give props to Artemisia Gentileschi and mentions Elizabeth Vigee LeBrun, I am all in. Oh, and she pretends to be an Italian opera singer. Our Duke is a vigilante, and they are soooo swoonworthy. Full review to come, but Lenora Bell has now become a preorder author for me.
Jo
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr2017, 3-5-stars

Lady Dorothea Beaumont was taught to be perfect. All of her family expected her to make an excellent debut and to marry well. Instead Thea had three failed seasons and was hidden away in Ireland, hoping time away would make everyone forget about her blunders. But Thea has decides she’s had enough of her family’s scheming and expectations. She doesn’t want to be the belle of the season, she would rather live in blissful freedom with her Aunt on her Irish estate. But all her plans are ruined when

Jaci
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lenora knows how to craft a wonderful tale of a Duke who hides his true self behind a facade of the decadent rake and the debutante who is a disaster in Society who hides her passion and strength.

Thea has a plan to get back to her aunt's cottage in Ireland where she can be herself and not ever have to worry about what other people think of her. She has no plans to get married. Her passion is finding lost paintings from female artists and introducing them to the world. All she has to do is not to
Pamela Shropshire
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. Far too many sentence fragments. For no good reason. Just. Couldn't. Take. It. Any. More.

Too many inconsistencies. Too many tangled storylines that were unnecessary. And I won't even begin on the anachronisms in this so-called historical. H/h are both apparently time traveling SJWs from the 21st century.

Perhaps I'll give it another try later when my tolerance is greater.
id!l
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book, but I wasn't really sold here. I found the premise and plot a bit far fetched, and to be fair that was also an issue in book 1, but at least the love story was more compelling. I think there wasn't enough of a build up and so it came across as insta love.
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
The second book in the series definitely had a rom-com vibe and the storyline flowed better than the first book. My favorite parts were the flippant banter between the Duke and Thea! Their notes had me in stitches and I loved the chemistry between the two. Good read.
Bambi Unbridled
description

The Disgraceful Dukes series continues with If I Only Had a Duke featuring funny and endearing characters, reluctant romance and steamy interludes. The narrator, Beverley A. Crick, gave us an exceptional performance. She was a dab hand at Irish and Italian affectations (even when they were supposed to be bad), and was believable as both female and male personas. I will definitely look for more of her work in the future.

You may recognize the heroine of this story as Lady Dorothea Benton, whose na
Insh
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
And your heart? she wanted to ask.
Was it stolen as well?
Because mine’s lost forever.
Sorina
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it

"Fate had been very clear about one thing - whether lingering or in one agonizing blow, love died.
Brothers drowned. Mother faded into wraiths.
And melting blue-grey eyes couldn't dull his pain any better than a bottle of brandy."

This was really sweet! There are several things that I really enjoyed about this.

First, it starts of great, with several correspondences send between Thea and Dalton, and you can just tell by those letters, that they would eventually be really good together.

That's anothe
4.25 Stars

I found Lenora Bell's debut, How the Duke Was Won, to be entertaining and had high expectations for the sequel, If I Only Had a Duke. I was especially to excited to read it when I learned that the heroine would be Lady Dorothea, whom the heroine of book one spent much of the story impersonating. Though Thea was only in a few scenes in the first book, she made a real impression on me and I knew her story would be fabulous...and it was!

Despite her mother's efforts, Thea has never been a
Jessica
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Historical romances always put a smile on my face, especially when they're actually done right. Lenora Bell has mastered the art of taking unique women who go against the norms of society and tame the rakes who were previously untamable and quite irresistible to any women who crossed their paths. Can you say, yes please?!?!

Lady Dorothea was bred to find a handsome duke to snag and marry, but what her mother failed to do was socialize her perfect daughter. Any time she's near a handsome man, Thea
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 03, 2016 03:32PM

• The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • Chasing Lady Amelia (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #2)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • Lady Claire Is All That (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #3)
  • Some Like It Scandalous (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #2)
  • The Virgin and the Rogue (The Rogue Files, #6)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • The Rogue to Ruin (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #3)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • It's Hard Out Here for a Duke (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #4)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Marquess of Malice (Lords of Scandal #2)
Lenora Bell is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of historical romances with Avon Books. A teacher with an MFA in Creative Writing, Lenora has lived and worked on five continents. She currently lives in New Zealand with her carpenter husband and two tiger-striped rescue kitties. She loves to hear from readers! Sign up for her mailing list to hear about new books, sales, and giveaways ...more

The Disgraceful Dukes (3 books)
  • How the Duke Was Won (The Disgraceful Dukes, #1)
  • Blame It on the Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #3)