Start by marking “Miss Muffet, or What Came After” as Want to Read:
Miss Muffet, or What Came After

Miss Muffet, or What Came After

People will tell you that all little Miss Muffet wanted was to sit quietly and eat her curds and whey. They’ll insist that she was so scared of a spider, she ran away from it, and that’s where her story ends. Well, those people are wrong! Miss Muffet is more daring than that—and so is the spider. Together, they head off on an escapade involving a host of other nursery rhym ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss Muffet, or What Came After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Muffet, or What Came After

Start your review of Miss Muffet, or What Came After
Boni
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
The poetry and wordplay is amazing, the theatrical spin is well-done, and I love the illustrations, but this is one sophisticated picture book. I don't think there's much kid appeal...but definitely a clever pb for adults. ...more
Amanda
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
1 1/2 stars

Mother Goose

*sigh*

*face palm*

This is really more a commentary on our society than on Singer's work isn't it? It's too long. It's too sophisticated for most but the oldest audiences. This isn't a picture book for little kids. What has our world come to when we can't force ourselves to finish a children's book?

*double sigh*
Jenny
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I really liked this story! It was a bit too wordy for my preschooler but an older child might really love it. I thought the book very clever and the lyrical rhyming on every page is wonderful. The illustration style makes it a fun visual journey as well. Again, it was very, very cute but not a good fit for those under 5, I think.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Singer, Marilyn. Miss Muffet, or What Came After, PICTURE BOOK. Clarion Books, 2016. $16.99.

Written as if through acts in a play, we hear Miss Muffet’s story of what happens after she meets the spider. According to this story, Miss Muffet loves to play the violin and her mother doesn’t like that. Miss Muffet decides to run away to pursue her dream with a music-loving spider she just met. Along the way they run into Little Bo Peep, who also happens to be a violinist. They become friends and play
Emily
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting fractured nursery rhyme that shows the other side of Miss Muffet and Little Bo Peep! Book is kind of confusing but could be good read for Gr. 2-2 learning about fractured fairy tales.
Ashley
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was worried when I opened it that it would be too wordy, but my 4 year old loved it. And keeps asking me to reread it. The style makes it a lot of fun to read out loud. We had fun pretending the chorus were opera singers.
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet ... Apparently there's more to this nursery rhyme than anyone knew after Miss Muffet ran away! This book is in rhyme and set up like an opera with various singers and nursery rhyme characters showing up for parts in the show. ...more
Bonnie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
The illustrations were nice and the idea of fractured nursery rhymes was cute but it did not hold the 4 yr old's (nearly 5) attention past the fourth page and it was difficult for me to finish on my own. ...more
Sasha
Great idea (theatrical retelling of Miss Muffet and her previously undiscovered music career), but kind of not the best execution, with awkward rhymes and a plot that didn't quite work out. Although I loved the illustrations and the details. Not terrible and not amazing. Worth a read! ...more
Sara
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this but it was just too long and the word choices were difficult for my younger child to understand what was happening. The concept was cute but could have been told in an easier way to follow.
Tracy Holland
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting twist set in verse, this book tells the story behind Miss Muffet and Little Bo Peep. Written in operatic form, this book adds some new twists to some old nursery rhymes.
Bethany
Cute version of what happens after the events of the miss Muffet rhyme. It's way more enjoyable if you read it out loud as you go. And do the different voices.
Recommended? Sure
Buy/Borrow? Borrow
Ms Threlkeld
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Clever concept. Very text-heavy, making it better as a mentor text in upper elementary rather than a read aloud.
Stephanie
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The page layout and complexity of rhymes make this a picture book that is more appropriate for older kids.
Angie Quantrell
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What happens next to Little Miss Muffet tells all you could want to know and more. Written as if this story were being told on stage. Cute!
Misty Albaugh
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Kaitlyn didn't seem as thrilled. Reading the different parts in different voices & singing the backup voices was hilarious. ...more
Erin
An odd setup. Imagine opening a picture book onto a stage scene. Some of the characters are the chorus (think Greek, with much commentary), others are simply actors on a stage. The benefit of putting your stage play into a picture book is of course that scene and costume changes don't involve much moving about, and there's no trouble with seeing the spider from the cheap seats. The story itself gives Miss Muffet a lot more depth and character than the traditional nursery rhyme.

The length and for
Lynn
I appreciate the clever weaving of stage directions and extended fractured fairy tale done in rhyming text. It does go on a little long, and may loose attention of young readers.
Definitely good for giving spiders a positive image! It also encourages young maidens to follow their dreams.
Detailed, full color illustrations, (the orange speech bubbles are a bit too dark & hinders ease of reading the text they hold).
Daphne
Fantastically original mashup of several Mother Goose nursery rhymes. The presentation of the story as like a play and the intricate rhyme schemes make for highly enjoyable reading. Who could pass up a picture book that rhymes "fantastic" with "sarcastic"? My favorite line, care of the spider: "Prepare yourselves to meet your enemy. / You will find me rather venomy." And finally, happily ever after explicitly explained! ...more
Michele Knott
What happened after the Miss Muffet story we all know...
What happened after isn't quite what I thought it was going to be but what captured me was the way this book is written. Told in rhyming verse but somewhat in a play format, this could be used as a mentor text for plays - with side directions, unseen narrator, a chorus, and various nursery rhyme characters.
Ed
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the beginning, but it just seemed to drag on, and it committed the most grievous sins in my opinion. I really HATE when books put black lettering on dark blue backgrounds, which is very difficult to read. If you have a dark background, use a light colored font (white or yellow), but never have a dark background with black letters. It is annoying, to say the least.
Kate Hastings
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Grades 6-9. This would be a fun book for an older middle/high school audience because of the sophistication of the writing. A fun fractured tale tells how/why Little Miss Muffet ran away. Different types of poetry. The setting is that of a play. There is a LOT going on here.
Jess Verzello
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
This is an interesting expansion to the classic children's rhymes and tales, but the overwhelming design elements make it difficult to follow along. I struggled particularly with the speech bubbles and text. However, the bright colors and fun graphics will draw readers in.
Tracie
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, funny, picture-books
Musical theater Miss Muffet fills in her backstory.
Jason
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I had to push through the first few pages but it grew on me after a bit. Pretty clever, really.
Barbara
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a bit long and convoluted for younger children. I think it would be a great tool to use in a creative writing class for middle school age and up.
axhxex_

• Triangle
  • On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
  • Unicorn Day
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar (Butterfly Series)
  • A Cooked-Up Fairy Tale
  • Pokko and the Drum
Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City hig