Start by marking “Speaking Out: A 21st-Century Handbook for Women and Girls” as Want to Read:
Speaking Out: A 21st-Century Handbook for Women and Girls

Speaking Out: A 21st-Century Handbook for Women and Girls

A short, accessible and practical handbook for women on speaking out safely and confidently.

Worldwide, less than one out of every four people we hear from or about in the media is female and men outnumber women in parliament by more than three to one. If half of humanity's experiences, perspectives and possible solutions to world problems are under-represented, or entirely
Published May 23rd 2016 by HarperCollins - AU

To ask other readers questions about Speaking Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking Out

Michael
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ozzie-gems
There is a common misconception in our society that females communicate more than males. We have all heard the terms "natter" and "nagging" that are directed to women, but in truth, the complete opposite is the case. Why this is the case and why it is important for more women and girls to speak up and make themselves heard is told in great detail.

Author Tara Moss gives practical advice on all facets of verbal and written communication including how to be heard effectively, preparation and tips
Bianca
Tara Moss is one of those infuriating women who seem to be excellent at everything they do and who also accomplish a lot: journalist, novelist, public speaker, human rights advocate, documentary maker etc. She's about to get a doctorate. Overachiever or what? Of course, she had to be beautiful as well ... :-)

She's published quite a few thriller/crime novels, but I haven't read any yet. Currently, I am more interested in her non-fiction writing.
Anyway, this was available on the overdrive, so I
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Found some chapters incredibly helpful and others not so much, but some might become useful in the future!
Tez
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Speaking Out: A 21st-Century Handbook for Women and Girls is well-meaning, but is it really what we need? A lot of women and girls are already speaking out - that isn't the problem. The issue is that people need to learn to LISTEN. For the privileged to listen to the marginalised. For white people to listen to people of colour. For cis-gender people to listen to people who are transgender or non-binary. For heterosexual people to listen to everyone else. For the wealthy to listen to the poor. Fo ...more
Dasha M
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Inspiring and practical.
Kkneen
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Please read this book then buy two copies. Give one to a young woman and one to a young man. Ask them to pass them on. This book is so important, even if you think you know about the barriers to women's participation, the facts will still surprise you. It is worse than you might have thought. The only way to change it is for the next generation to get on top of this early. I still have hope that younger people can move towards fixing what is still a terrible situation for women. We are silenced, ...more
Tasnia Ahmad
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Some parts were excellent, however .my rating it 3 is dominantly due to the irrelevancy of a large portion of the book to me.
Amra Pajalic
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ozauthor
An inspiring book that encourages women to speak out about things that matter and provides some useful strategies to support them to do so. I read the first few chapters of the book and felt a slow burn at the statistics about the lack of women's participation in the public arena and how we have become normalized to this situation. A very powerful and necessary book that every woman should read.
Web
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As is typical of Tara Moss's style, Speaking Out is a wonderfully articulated handbook detailing the importance of making your voice heard (particularly for women and girls), methods of being heard, how to be appropriately prepared to communicate, as well as tips on how to deal with both positive and negative reactions to your opinions.

With plenty of facts to support her case, Tara presents a very easy to understand and inspiring guide for anyone who would like to improve their written and verb
bronberry
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like Tara Moss. Her writing is clear, concise, and articulate. Tara meticulously discusses how female voices are heard less in mainstream media and criticised more pedantically compared to male voices. She uses this as her launchpad to encourage women to speak out. I found Part 2: "how to speak out" very useful. I also found the part on 'knowing when and how to say no' invaluable - I'm starting to get paid for speaking events and Tara inspired me to have the confidence to not be afraid ...more
Deb
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to this audio book, but now thinking I will buy myself a copy. Lots of good ideas, including looking after yourself. The sort of book where you underline passages and book mark ideas that are helpful, and then revisit later on.
Warren Gossett
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Welcome advice for females in Australia today about speaking up in public space and not being discouraged or hurt by stereotypes and negativity that is still too often directed at women in public life.
Peta Campbell
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All women need to read this book. It is an excellent guide for finding your voice, speaking up and for not having to put up with the crap that comes with speaking up and out.
Tien
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This topic is not particularly something that interested me but author Tara Moss did a fabulous job in actually keeping me interested in the book. It’s a very encouraging and positive about speaking out; not only about public speaking but also generally is speaking up with your opinions whether in speech or writing or any type of media. It’s also quite a practical book, filled with tips on breathing, caution on researching and how to deal with ‘trolls’. The author is speaking from a deep well of ...more
Cassie Robinson
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I listened to the audio version of this book, narrated by the author. Overall it was a good listen, but wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I thought there would be more personal stories about women speaking out, rather than how-to sections on how to write and prepare to speak publicly. However the advice that Tara offers on these subjects would be very useful to anyone who needs instruction in those areas, and the physical edition of this book would be a valuable resource to turn to. I really ...more
Jess
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Helpful clear advice and empowering thoughts and words. We do need to speak out much more and not be afraid to do so. Excellent sections on dealing with negative feedback, especially trolls in social media. This book is well worth your time and would be particularly useful for teenage girls.
Duncan G Aldridge
REally pratical read. Though geared at women to book has great insight about how to prepare to speak oiut (in either written or spoken word) and dealing with some of results of speaking out.
Carly Findlay
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It has been a useful handbook for me as an online writer, particularly the self care and vicarious trauma parts. (I contributed to this book too.)
Angharad Lodwick
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 - Check out my upcoming review on http://tintededges.wodpress.com
Sarah - There is nothing that upsets me more than a bad book!
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Tara Moss not just provides handy tips and tricks for women with regards to speaking out (may that be online, as a writer or as a speaker or any other medium you want to choose) but also shares valuable background info about women’s issues in Australia and abroad - while I knew a lot of these things already it was a very good reminder and certainly got my inner feminist all shaken up again (and I was very happy to be shaken up again by Tara!).

I do have to say I am shocked by the amount of o
Em
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well-written, honest, friendly, organised, thorough, compassionate and strong. I'd recommend it to women, but also to men - there's a lot that will help them understand the issues women face, and advice that can also apply to them directly.

It is really nice to have a book that specialises in the unique challenges that women have when speaking in public. The book is very comprehensive - it covers topics like how to speak with a strong voice, how to write clearly, how to deal with c
Kate Hardman
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I heard her speak on the subject in the Dumbo Feather podcast and was interested to read the book.
I like the premise of the book, a modern day guide to surviving speaking up and speaking out.
It was very insightful into the injustices carried out against women all around the world but with a focus on Western society and particularly online.
As someone who isn't active in speaking out it definitely made me want to get involved and even opened up areas of trauma that I thought maybe I could share
Alison
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
An important message and motivator about the importance of women speaking out and how to do so. I particularly loved the first section of the book about why to speak out and the statistics around women not speaking out as much as men and the response when they do. Contains useful information about important practicalities of staying safe and self care. But for me the second half of the book often felt a little laboured and dry, lacking the passion of the first half.
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: do-not-own
Worth a read and worth having a copy to hand*

Quite a bit of this book touches on things I learned in my comms degree but for whatever reason I had forgotten. I wish 13 year old me had had this book.

I will actually be lending my copy to my brother who is navigating his first year post uni.

* I am not a big book keeper so it’s no small thing when I say to keep a copy of the book beyond the first read.
Sharon
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: qwn-it
Not what I expected, but I am still glad I read this book.
Some great advice and like all of Tara's non-fiction books, it made me stop and think, because a few things Tara mentions about attitudes toward women, I had not realised until she pointed them out.
Scares me that I had become so blind to things and just accepted it as being "the way it is"
Annie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well rounded book to all women on how to navigate the difficult task of speaking out about gender equality in the 21st century. I wish I’d read this years ago but I doubt I would’ve taken as much from it as I did now. Thank you Tara Moss!
Tracey Washington-lacy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Divided up into sections to make it easy to refer back to. Honest and genuine. Written in a way that makes it easy to identify the topics discussed. “If you can’t breathe, you can’t help anyone else” is advice for everyone.
Bianca
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think I would have loved this 5+ years ago but just seemed too basic and on the nose now
Em Biddle
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this book more than five stars!

This book is a must-read for everyone, especially young girls, enabling and empowering them to know the strength of their own voices. It not only provides a series of strategies for coping for a wide range of scenario's, like Public Speaking! (My Achilles heal!) and responding to un-constructive criticism. In the book, Moss also constantly refers to data, both qualitative and quantitative, constantly referencing quotes, interviews and statistics
Paige Hadley
Using her wealth of experience as an international model, bestselling crime novelist, human right’s activist, and mother, Tara Moss equips readers to confront gender inequality in every aspect of society. If The Fictional Woman is the ultimate “beginner’s guide” to gender inequality, then Speaking Out is your “travelling companion”. Through immersive research and intimate wisdom, this dynamic duo will educate and empower.

I listened to The Fictional Woman and Speaking Out as audio books, and n
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Impractical Jokes
  • Monash: The Outsider Who Won a War
  • Island Home
  • Plain-speaking Jane
  • Dying: A Memoir
  • One Boy Missing
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • Ghost Wife: A Memoir of Love and Defiance
  • Refuge
  • Precious Things
  • The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters
  • Hindsight (Cas Lehman and Detective Ed Dyson #1)
  • Nor the Years Condemn
  • The Primeval Forest (Schweitzer Library)
  • Death by Sugar (Jesse Clarke #1)
  • The Thing about Prague: How I gave it all up for a new life in Europe's most eccentric city
  • Yassmin's Story
  • Being Martha: The Inside Story of Martha Stewart and Her Amazing Life
Tara Moss is an author, journalist, documentary maker and presenter and human rights advocate. Since 1999 she has written 11 bestselling books, published in 19 countries and 13 languages, including the acclaimed Mak Vanderwall crime fiction series and the Pandora English series. Her first non-fiction book, the critically acclaimed The Fictional Woman, was published in 2014 and became a number one ...more