Start by marking “Body Kindness: Transform Your Health from the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again” as Want to Read:
Body Kindness:  Transform Your Health from the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again

Freedom from Diets!
Imagine a graph with two lines. One indicates happiness, the other tracks how you feel about your body. If you’re like millions of people, the lines do not intersect. But what if they did?
This practical, inspirational, and visually lively book shows you how to create a healthier and happier life by treating yourself with compassion rather than shame. It
Published November 27th 2016 by Workman Publishing Company (first published November 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Body Kindness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body Kindness

Start your review of Body Kindness: Transform Your Health from the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again
Amanda
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first two chapters were exactly what I needed to hear at this moment. I think the biggest take-away is: "Everyone has a gut instinct for how to be kind to their body." Oh...you don't? Oh well, don't beat yourself up about it!
Another one is that emotional health is an equal part of the health equation (not just physical health). And that physical health has NOTHING to do with cellulite, thick limbs, or body shapes. So let's all be kind to our bodies, eh?

UPDATE:
As I continued to try and read
Ani
Dec 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
This can be seriously triggering if you have any history with any form of eating disorder. This is not body posi, this is not HAES, this is actually a diet book.

NOTE: If it has portion sizes listed anywhere, IT IS A DIET BOOK.
Tessa
I'll start by saying that I am a registered dietitian who works primarily with eating disorders/disordered eating and those looking to heal their relationship with food, and I would not recommend this book to any of my clients. I had high expectations for it and found myself disappointed. It was honestly hard for me to get through and I ended up just scanning through the last half just to get to the end. The tone of the whole book felt very diet-y and personally I didn't connect with her "just ...more
Joan
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Scritchfield says body kindness is a self-care mindset based on the belief that health begins by being good to yourself. (2) This book is not a diet book. She says diets fail.

This book has a ton of information regarding personal health, including food, sleep, exercise, and relationships. The idea is to give us the information we need to make choices that improve our health without the goal of weight loss.

It took me a while to accept what Scritchfield writes. It goes against so much of what we
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
I chose this book because I strongly believe in the "never say diet again" mantra. It delivered that plus so much more.

We throw around terms like "nurturing" and "self-love" often, but do we really know what these mean in a practical sense of day-to-day steps? Rebecca Scritchfield, a registered dietician, breaks down her approach into manageable steps. She says to start with the question, "What is the least I can do?"

One of her precepts that I like the most is that food is nourishment, not a
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
I appreciated the body positivity messages, but I wanted more depth from this book. Most of the content felt quite surface level. I hoped there would be more focus on intuitive eating, which was only ended up being a very small part. I would still recommend this book to fans of the author’s podcast.
Jessica
Oct 23, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Another recommendation from my nutritionist, so I bought it, but... *deep sigh*

"Not a diet book" seems to be the latest diet slogan? I don't have a history of dieting. I have had diabetes since childhood so do have some food issues... But food is a symptom, not a cause. I also have depression and am on Lexapro -- which is wonderful but the combination caused me to gain about 40 pounds in 2 years. So yes, I'm overweight, hence my GP sending me to the nutritionist. But focusing on food isn't going
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was interesting and made a lot of good points (health isn't determined by weight; it's possible to be healthy without being skinny; it's possible to be very unhealthy while being skinny; you should be kind to yourself and your body, etc.), it's definitely a book aimed at middle class white moms. There are many moments where the author's privilege was showing, which kind of irked me.
Bethany
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
While I appreciate her content, the formatting of this book drove me batty. It read like a 288-page blog post. Too many bulleted lists, pastel infographics, and sidebars.
Ashley
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Best for: People looking for a personal growth book that wraps all of the big ideas into one fancy-feeling book.

In a nutshell: Different ways of looking at how to treat yourself well - body, mind and spirit.

Line that sticks with me: “Think about whether the choice will matter to you in a year.”

Why I chose it: I was in one of those stores that sells a lot of cool-looking things for the home (pillows, candles, clever cards), and this book looked and felt like a fun read.

Review: There is nothing
Kate
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to eat what you want, when you want, however much you want, without someone or something telling you what you can and cannot eat? Then this book is for you! I cannot say enough about this book! Rebecca, a registered dietician, reveals applicable, common-sense ways to lead her readers into healthy lifestyles, free of dieting and calorie counting.
This book is quite informative in beginning and maintaining positive self-care habits of eating balanced meals, regular exercise, sleep,
Ellie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this would be a good first resource for someone JUST beginning their self-love/ acceptance journey. Like having read nothing else on the subject first. It’s fine and all, but the ideas aren’t new nor is there anything earthshaking here.
Meg
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great how to for life.
Emily Jane
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All women should read this book! For me it was life-changing in knowing there was a path away from diet culture that lead to a healthy, happy, fulfilling life. Easy to read and powerful.
Cora Paradiso
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolute game changer. I don't often do this, but I have bought this book for other friends, that's how much of an impact it had on me.
Caitlin
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
"we make up stories about how great other people's lives must be and use them to judge ourselves and put ourselves down" (pg. 33)

"Whether you're a fan of Mozart of Metallica, the therapeutic benefits of music have been celebrated and researched for centuries. Music has been dubbed a natural antidepressant for its ability to change your outlook and disposition, altering it for hours or even days." (pg. 125)

"When big stuff happens, you aren't going to solve it by taking a walk or a bubble bath.
Emily
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a relief! finally a book and a mindset that puts all the pieces together for living a HEALTHY life in the body you have. From the strictly nutritional advice, to the research and experienced backed sections on emotional and social well being, every chapter added another layer onto what it means to live body kindness. I loved the spiral up moments and the visual guides that spelled out in detail the practice being discussed. I appreciated all the further resources provided, and how I can ...more
Latiffany
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to Scritchfield through the Food Heaven podcast. I love her energy and how passionate she is about body kindness. I read one health book a year and decided Body Kindness would be my 2018 pick.

Let me say this-There is absolutely nothing wrong with this book. The lack of a five star rating is more about where I am with my journey. This book is an amazing guide on how to eat healthy, while still enjoying your favorite foods. It covers moving past the guilt and shame that revolves
Kim
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm only a few months in to working with a CEDRD and this is the first book I've read. I really liked it, and it helped me understand how prevalent diet culture is - and why I struggle with disordered eating and poor body image. It's a great book. I'm excited to read more books like this.
Theresa
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Good information but way too much of it. A little overwhelming. Lots of nice charts - if you are into charts . . . . .
Jessica
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I discovered Rebecca through her Body Kindness podcast. After listening for the past several months, I have come to greatly admire her attitude towards food and physical activity. She is a huge proponent of healthy at any size and body acceptance and kindness. She’s so inspiring!

After learning how she views the world, I feel myself hyper-aware of comments people make throughout my day that seem so antiquated- from overhearing a coworker who is trying to latest fad diet to hearing someone
Lynndell
Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Thanks to NetGalley and Workman Publishing for the opportunity to read and review Body Kindness: Transform Your Health from the Inside Out - and Never Say Diet Again by Rebecca Scritchfield. This book focuses on body kindness with the following four parts: what you do, how you feel, who you are, where you belong. The journal suggestion is genius and by writing The Body Kindness Manifesto as the first entry, it gives the reader/writer
Aliyah Northington
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has some good points, and overall, I enjoyed it. However, I completely understand these other viewpoints. Someone said her privilege is showing. A lot of the book does tend to make it seem like it's sooo easy to put these habits into practice. Another thing I read was that the food chapter seemed a little diety. I also got that feeling! It took me nearly four months to finish this book... The food chapter says that there are no food rules and that you should free yourself from any ...more
Michelle
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ebook version I read was poorly formatted and that made reading this book painful.

The author talks about being trained by Evelyn Tribole, one of the creators of Intuitive Eating, but this book doesn’t resemble Intuitive Eating in any way, which is unfortunate because that’s how it’s being marketed. I imagine a lot of people will buy and read it, and walk away thinking this is what Intuitive Eating is.

I’m not a fan of books that are written like blog posts, and that’s how this read to me. It
Mrs. Nesbitt
The first few chapters of this book took a load off my shoulders, but then beyond that things started to fall apart. Maybe it's just because this questions every diet belief I have had about food since I was a teenager. I found the format very unhelpful... shiny pages (not great for highlighting), chopped up with tons of graphics and not a lot of fluidity. I think this may be a book I will have to re-read slower and journal my way through. The concept is great, but I also have my doubts that ...more
Emily Markulis
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although I read my share of non-fiction, most of my book reviews, at least the long ones I've cross-posted on my blog, have been of fiction. But I believe in Rebecca Scritchfield's message enough that I want to spread the word. Rebecca is a fellow alumna in my graduate program and an anti-diet dietician. In her first book, Body Kindness, she makes a compelling case that diets don't work in the long run, that health is a holistic construct not synonymous with weight, and that a healthy mind, body ...more
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read about this in a couple blogs and thought I'd check it out. Although I think I'd like it more if I treated it as a workbook and not a library book I'm rushing to return, I do think it could be helpful for people wanting to focus on self-care and body kindness. While there is a heavy influence on breaking free of a diet mentality, there's plenty in here for people who may not struggle with food but want a refresher on how to best love themselves and others. I love the idea of spiraling up.
Chloe
This book is one that you definitely have to actively participate in. It has journal prompts throughout and its one that you really need to journal throughout and take very slowly. It's not one you just read all the way through. It would be a good one to do as a group or with a counselor/nutritionist, but not one that you can just read for insights very easily. It's very much the kind of book that you get out what you put into it.
It has great prompts and things, but it is quite the project to
Melissa Regalado
Nov 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would not recommend this book to anybody who has an eating disorder or struggled with one. I see the intentions behind what the author is saying but it really just is another way to have some “control” in the foods and amount you eat, as the author mentions having portion sizes and creating a plate where most of all is plants. Sounds like portion control and restriction. I haven’t finished reading it but would not recommend to anybody who truly wants to get away from diet culture or is ...more
Mikayla Hatch
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the first 3-4 chapters. Felt the rest of it was fluff and I just skimmed through it. The graphics were oddly placed and sometimes just pointless. It’s still technically a diet book because she still talks portion sizes and to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. But I think she did well with trying to get people to atop fad dieting, calorie counting, extreme diets, and just trying to help people love themselves/bodies in the now. And that your body deserves love and appreciation no matter ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Body Respect: What Conventional Health Books Get Wrong, Leave Out, and Just Plain Fail to Understand about Weight
  • Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
  • The F*ck It Diet: Eating Should Be Easy
  • The Intuitive Eating Workbook: Ten Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship with Food
  • Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating
  • Body of Truth: Change Your Life by Changing the Way You Think about Weight and Health
  • Just Eat It: How intuitive eating can help you get your shit together around food
  • Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A Handbook for Unapologetic Living
  • Bare: A 7-Week Program to Transform Your Body, Get More Energy, Feel Amazing, and Become the Bravest, Most Unstoppable Version of You
  • Body Positive Power: How learning to love yourself will save your life
  • The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love
  • Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling
  • Landwhale: On Turning Insults Into Nicknames, Why Body Image Is Hard, and How Diets Can Kiss My Ass
  • The Gluten Lie: And Other Myths About What You Eat
  • You Have the Right to Remain Fat
  • Sick Enough: A Guide to the Medical Complications of Eating Disorders
  • Rehabilitate, Rewire, Recover!: Anorexia recovery for the determined adult
Rebecca Scritchfield is a registered dietitian nutritionist, certified exercise physiologist, author of the book Body Kindness, and host of the Body Kindness podcast. Through her weight-inclusive counseling practice, she helps people make peace with food, find the joy in exercise, and create a better life with workable goals that fit individual interests. Central to all her work, Rebecca aims to ...more