Start by marking “If You're Lucky” as Want to Read:
If You're Lucky

If You're Lucky

“A hold-on-to-your-seat thriller.” —Quill & Quire

When Georgia’s brother drowns while surfing halfway around the world in Australia, she refuses to believe that Lucky’s death was just bad luck. Then a stranger named Fin arrives in False Bay claiming to have been Lucky’s best friend. Soon Fin is working for Lucky’s father, charming Lucky’s mother, dating Lucky’s girlfri
Published September 20th 2016 by Algonquin Young Readers (first published October 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about If You're Lucky, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mary
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lola
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
IF YOU’RE LUCKY could have been so many things – an unforgettable read, an emotional and powerful story of family love, an honest and raw look at the effects of schizophrenia…

But it was not. That’s aiming too high for IF YOU’RE LUCKY.

Was I wrong to expect these things? To want to be enthralled, moved and gasp at the ending?

I admired George’s courage and cheered her on as she paddled toward sharks to uncover the truth about her (reckless) brother’s death.

But I wasn’t impressed. I wasn’t surprise
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I am going to start this review with just about the only thing I liked about this book: Georgia was a baker. I love food and more than that, I love sugar. So the description of her lemon tarts and lavender shortbread cookies made me very hungry. I’ll just ignore the fact that she mentioned she had never made a muffin before. What kind of baker doesn’t ever make muffins? Weird.

Now that we got that out of the way, I’ll talk about
Morris
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reviews
In what is a rarity in young adult books, the topic of schizophrenia is tackled head-on in “If You’re Lucky”, a taut thriller that leaves the readers as confused as the narrator as to what is real and what is not.

Georgia, the main character, is a teenager with paranoid schizophrenia who is dealing with the loss of her brother Lucky, the town’s golden boy. One of his best friends shows up to the memorial and creates a whirlwind of emotions for her. Georgia is an extremely well-developed character
Kristine
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

This book has me stumped. I'm stumped over all of the great reviews and ratings because it was not very good. In fact, it was pretty bad. I really had to put some effort into even finishing it. Am I being harsh? Perhaps, but I am not a hard person to please which is apparent with all of my other reviews.

My
Jen Ryland
After Georgia's brother dies in a surfing accident in Australia, she can't help asking questions about the circumstances surrounding his death. (I was secretly hoping that Georgia would do her investigating in Australia, but the book takes place in Georgia's home in Northern California.) But as Georgia began to seem more and more unhinged and paranoid, I began to wonder: is she just suffering from grief or if there was something else strange going on.

I thought this book created a great sense of
Brett Dewey
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, mystery
Is it a mystery? Or is the narrator's grip on reality completely off? Really enjoyed this. One of those reads where I was sad to have it end and not be in that story anymore.
Katie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
I received a free review copy of this book through Netgalley.

When Georgia meets Fin, a friend of her dead brother, Lucky, she feels that something is off about him. He's charming, much like Lucky, and perhaps that's the problem: He's kind of taking over Lucky's life. First, his girlfriend; then, his dog, his family. Georgia is the only one who isn't fooled.

As time goes on, Fin's behavior becomes even more suspicious. Georgia, who is schizophrenic, stops taking her medication. Everyone else seems
Kobi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Georgia wants to be a normal teenager and with the help of medication she can maintain that life. It enables her to have healthy relationships with family and friends, work multiple jobs, and it also minimizes the symptoms of her mental illness. This ideal life seems to be going smoothly until her brother, Lucky, dies unexpectedly. Soon Fin, who says he was “like brothers” with Lucky, begins to be a fixture in her small town. Everyone is drawn to Fin; he’s charming, funny, and likable. Georgia’

Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)
**My original review can be found here, at No BS Book Reviews! Check it out, because right now there is a giveaway for a hardback copy!! Only two days left to enter!**

If You’re Lucky has aspect of a psychological thriller and a mystery. at times, there seems to be a fine line between the two. George has all signs of being a relatively normal girl at first, but then suddenly becomes a very unreliable narrator.

Like, there was a large part of the end where I was actually talking out loud to myself,
Holly Weiss
I thank Algonquin Publishers for this advance copy for my unbiased review.

Yvonne Prinz has tackled some tough issues in this book, namely the death of a sibling and schizophrenia. For that I give her credit.She has written a YA thriller, which others have hailed as gripping.

Georgia is a teen girl whose older brother is named Lucky, a "golden boy" as it were.Their temperaments are quite opposite. Set in Australia, the story follows their lives and relationships until disaster happens.

The book has
Trisha
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Loss can do some pretty crazy things to people's heads."

This was an interesting little roller coaster ride. I'm glad that this story is from Georgia's perspective and not someone else. Whether this is an accurate portrayal of any of the issues in the book, I don't know, I only know that I enjoyed the interesting perspective. The little town was so fascinating and the life of Lucky was as amazing as it was sad.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, mystery
This book has very mixed reviews on Goodreads, but I’m solidly in the “like it a lot” camp. I’m not going to summarize the book because that will spoil it. This is a book you need to go into without knowing too much. All you need to know is that it’s a psychological thriller of sorts. You spend most of the book not knowing who the bad guy is or even if there is a bad guy.

This book reminded me of other books I’ve read, like Second Star by Alyssa Hammel and We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. There is a
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

This book gets zero stars. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Diversity: 0 – What Diversity?
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: -5 (Georgia has schizophrenia and its handling is why this book gets 0 stars)
Intersectionality: 0

Sometimes, you read a book about or starring a person from a marginalized background and you can tell it isn’t meant to be read by someone from that same marginalized background. See: Thirteen Reasons Why and the massive amounts of controversy sur
Rachel
Did not finish.
From reading the synopsis this book seriously had my curiosity.
But was it good? I can't really say I was enjoying it.. Nope
and calling a dog "you dirty animal". I love dogs and just could't stand that.
Kudos to the author for tackling schizophrenia. But unfortunately, the unreliable narrator works against the story, not with it.
Georgia A
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed

Thanks to Algonquin Books for sending me a copy of If You're Lucky by Yvonne Prinz

Georgia's brother Lucky drowns while surfing in Australia, but Georgia knows her brother. She knows that he couldn't have drowned. When all his friends come down to False Bay and host a memorial, Georgia meets Fin. A charismatic and charming boy claiming to be Lucky's best friend.
The voice in her head begin to tell her that she can't trust Fin, that he killed Lucky. In an attempt to make these
Chloe Casey
Reading this was so interesting. It has one of the best descriptions of a less-often explored mental illness - schizophrenia - that I’ve ever read and it kept me guessing until the very end!
Ruthsic
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When seventeen-year-old Georgia’s brother drowns while surfing halfway around the world in Australia, she refuses to believe Lucky’s death was just bad luck. Lucky was smart. He wouldn’t have surfed in waters more dangerous than he could handle. Then a stranger named Fin arrives in False Bay, claiming to have been Lucky’s best friend. Soon Fin is working for Lucky’s father, charming Lucky’s mother, dating his girlfriend. Georgia begins to wonder: did Fin murder Lucky in order to take over his wh ...more
Kathy
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

With an engrossing storyline and an intriguing mystery, If You're Lucky is a riveting young adult novel that is full of exciting twists and turns. Yvonne Prinz puts a unique spin on the unreliable narrator plot device and readers, along with lead protagonist Georgia, will have a difficult time differentiating between fact and fantasy after she begins to suspect her brother’s death might be more than a tragic accident.

Following the drowning death of her beloved older brother, Lucky, Geor
C. Purtill
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Georgia's beloved older brother Lucky is dead. A talented surfer, charming and easygoing, he drowned in Australia where he'd made loads of friends, including another young surfer named Fin. When Georgia's family hosts a memorial service for Lucky, Fin is among the friends who show up to pay their respects. Georgia is immediately smitten and when Fin decides to stick around the small town of False Bay, she doesn't mind at all.

But then Fin is everywhere. He's waiting tables at the inn where Georgi
Jessa
Netgalley kindly provided this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Georgia has a hard time coming to terms with her brother Lucky's untimely death. Her fears and suspicions are compounded when her brother's friend, Fin, swoops into town and systematically begins to charm the citizens, taking over Lucky's life one piece at a time. Georgia's mind begins to unravel along with the mystery surrounding Fin and her brother's death, and she's in a desperate race against time to convince her friends an
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: A-

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. When seventeen-year-old schizophrenic George's brother dies surfing, she becomes suspicious of his friend Fin, who charms his way into Lucky's old life including his girlfriend and her parents' hearts. Convinced that Lucky has been killed by Fin, George decides going off her meds is the only way to solve the "murder".

IF YOU'RE LUCKY is by far one of the best books with a schizophrenic protagonist I've read. Yvonne Pr
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. This is by no means a bad book, but there's really nothing new about it. It's so forgettable that I have hardly anything to say.

Georgia's brother Lucky has died. A few months later, his old best friend Finn shows up to town. starts taking over his life. Her narrative slowly becomes more and more paranoid as she descends into schizophrenia.

This novel is certainly fast-paced, but aside from that, there's nothing suspenseful about the plot. The unreliable narrator is underused here. Ge
Adele
I didn’t really know what to think of If You’re Lucky when I first read the synopsis.

Now that I’ve read the book though, I’m glad that I got the chance to read the book. Out of the three predictions that I made, two of them came true. In my case, I found that If You’re Lucky was pretty predictable. And I had a hard time reading the second part of the book to be honest.

Other than that, If You’re Lucky is a great read. I found the story to be very intriguing. I also felt that If You’re Lucky was
Kelly Akemann
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave up on this book but am so glad I did not. I was actually bored with the story until she admitted she had a mental issue. Then, I could not stop reading it. I loved how it gently explored the topic of mental illness and how it ponder the thin line between sanity and insanity. This was a story that was written well and it was very entertaining. At the begininning, I was wondering if it would pick up, and then when it did - it went off like a rocket. A definite recommend from me!

I rec
Nancy Davis Kho
I got an ARC of this book and ripped through it in 24 hours, reading in bed, over coffee, at the nail salon, and finally, sitting at a red light past green (sorry, fellow drivers.) Taut thriller set in a small NorCal town, featuring an empathetic, nuanced rendering of a teenage heroine with schizophrenia. Is she imagining the worst about her brother's death? Or worse, is she the only one who sees clearly?

Prinz is a family favorite YA author and she keeps that designation with "If You're Lucky."
Read InAGarden
Georgia's brother Lucky dies in a surfing accident halfway across the world and it confuses Georgia. Lucky knew how to surf, was excellent at adventures and had no trouble getting out of one scrape after another so she wonders how a little wave took him down. Then Fin a friend of Lucky's moves to town and Georgia starts to become suspicious. It seems as if Fin is taking over Lucky's life. But the reader also learns that Georgia has dealt with / is dealing with schizophrenia and therefore maybe h ...more
Anna
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

I loooooooved this book. The author deals with mental disorders in a great way, and makes it so that the reader experiences it with Georgia. The suspense in this book was fantastic. Even though this isn't really considered mystery, it definitely had some mystery aspects to it. I think this book was definitely the right book to get me started on the mystery genre! Highly recommended!

Devin
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book left me second-guessing everything. I could never decide whether Georgia was telling the truth or if her mind was fogging up her facts. By the end, I couldn't put the book down because I had to know what was actually happening.
Jeff
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much in here and it all works. An excellent read. Atmosphere, mental illness, as a reader you're never certain where things are going. In the end, you can see exactly where they were heading all along.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Around the Year i...: If You're Lucky, by Yvonne Prinz 1 16 Jun 03, 2016 03:33PM

• From Where I Watch You
  • It Should Have Been You
  • The Way Back from Broken
  • If You Wrong Us
  • Below the Surface (Code of Silence, #3)
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • Messenger
  • The Shiny Guys
  • Who Killed Christopher Goodman?
  • Forbidden Territory
  • Hit and Run (Mike & Riel, #1)
  • In the Blood
  • The Book of Laney
  • Fig
  • When You Leave
  • Captive
  • Dead Ringer
  • Rowan the Strange (Ivy, #3)

"If You're Lucky" (Algonquin Books For Young Readers) will be arriving Fall 2015.