Start by marking “Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby, #3)

Ghostly Echoes

(Jackaby #3)

Jenny Cavanaugh, the ghostly lady of 926 Augur Lane, has enlisted the investigative services of her fellow residents to solve a decade-old murder—her own. Abigail Rook and her eccentric employer, Detective R. F. Jackaby, dive into the cold case, starting with a search for Jenny’s fiancé, who went missing the night she died. But when a new, gruesome murder closely mirrors t ...more
Published August 23rd 2016 by Algonquin Young Readers

Lauren Stoolfire
I lucked out and won a copy of Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby #3) through the Goodreads Giveaway Program! Thanks very much!

Jenny Cavanaugh, the ghost who calls 926 Auger Lane home alongside Detective R.F. Jackaby and his assistant Abigail Rook, has finally made the decision to enlist her lodgers to investigate a ten year old case - her own murder. To begin, they'll have to start by searching for Howard Carson, Jenny's fiancé, who disappeared on the same night that she was murdered. However, Jackaby and Miss Rook
Giovanna
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

3.75

While this series will never leave a mark on my life as a reader it's quite enjoyable and entertaining. It's snarky, it has a good female lead and a socially inept lovely detective. Oh, and paranormal stuff. This kind of format works for me, it keeps me on my toes and it's never boring.

I guess it's one of those things that, if they're well developed, they never get old. Ghostly Echoes
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I think that the Jackaby series is one of the best YA series ever! And, I'm not a big fan of YA. It's just not a genre I read much from. But Jackaby is a brilliant series and the latest book, Ghostly Echoes is just like the previous two books absolutely great. I like that this book finally deals with the Jenny Cavanaugh mystery, something I have been waiting for since the first book. I like how in each book you learn more about the characters and the strange creatures in it that most people don' ...more
Drew
I don't know what happened to this series. I absolutely loved the first book, Jackaby, which was a mystery mixed with historical fiction and paranormal. It was delightfully unlike anything I'd read before and I added it to my favorites shelf. But sadly, with each new installment, this series has slowly lost its appeal.

1) The humor is all gone. I thought Jackaby was absolutely hilarious. The main characters were an odd pair of detectives, one a strong young woman, Abigail, the other an eccentric seer, Jackab/>1)
mith
"My brick. My house. My whole wide world." She slid through the demolished wall. "My turn."

I'm under the impression that this is not the last book in the series. And, for that, I am severely happy.
As the third instalment in the Jackaby series, I have to say this book came a long way. While still maintaining that light mystery story, it also seemed significantly darker. I expected everything to be tied up and finish with a flare--because, when it comes to Jackaby and Abigail, a flare is all they're ac
Stacee
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have loved the uniqueness of this series and these characters from the beginning and I was thrilled to get another installment with them.

It was exciting to get Jenny's story and see her history. Of course there are more things revealed and more bad guys and more more more. The ending is satisfying to a point, but if this is the last book, I will be irritated because there is a great set up for a book 4.

Overall, a quick and fun read. I think I could read these characters
Mir
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Darker than the first two books, and also more tightly plotted. I had rather suspected that Ritter largely made these up as he went along, but the sudden coherence of characters and plot points from previous stories indicates that he in fact had a larger arc in mind all along.

Time to find out a lot about the ghost and a little about the secretive detective.

***

Personal milestone: this was the two-thousandth book added to my fantasy shelf. Of course, that isn't counting al
Sara (Freadom Library)
I GOT AN E-ARC *sobbing tears of joy*

I JUST LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH!

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 4.5 out of 5 stars
This series just keeps getting better and better. The plot of this book is action packed and fast paced. There’s still so much mystery to be uncovered and the whole book has this giant feeling of suspense and heaviness which wasn’t present in the previous books. Yet it still keeps its entertainment factor and I loved the theme/>
Veronique
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

The great thing about series when done well is that there is a certain familiarity that eases you into the story and this third instalment was the best so far. Jackaby and Abigail finally start working on Jenny’s case, in what turns out to be a thrilling plot. Additionally, seemingly random elements that appeared in the previous two books, start merging together into the picture of a huge threat! Can’t wait for the final episode!
Paige  Bookdragon

Actual rating: 3.7 stars

I have to admit I kinda forgot what happened in this book. It's not because it's not memorable but because I have read at least 7 books more after this and you have to understand, my memory in the first place is not that good.

Ghostly Echoes is the 3rd book in the Jackaby series and no, you can't read
Aneta Bak
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own

This series just keeps getting better and better. Ghostly Echoes has been my favourite book in this series so far.

Ten years ago, Abigail was murdered. Now there are similar murders occurring, and Jackaby and Abigail might finally have a shot at figuring out who truly murdered Jenny and what happened to her fiancé.

I really liked Abigail in the first book, she real
Katie Grace
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 3-stars
Loooooved the first book of this trilogy, but unfortunately didn't love the others as much. :/
Moonlight Reader
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is apparently one more of these Jackaby books to come, however Ghostly Echoes finally gets down to business with Jenny Cavanaugh’s story, and, as I expected all along, it is a remarkable tale.

There’s definitely something rotten in the state of New Fiddleham.

This series in general has really given me a Newt Scamander vibe – in fact, if they were looking to cast Jackaby, Eddie Redmayne wouldn’t be a bad choice for the role. It’s probably hardest to review this installment i
Greyson Richter | Use Your Words
Jackaby: ★★★★
The Map: ★★★★
Beastly Bones: ★★★★★
Ghostly Echoes: ★★★★★
The Dire King: ★★★★

You keep sacrificing young maide/>
Phee
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Very good just like the previous two.
I’m not going to go into the plot as that will take me into spoiler territory, which is somewhere I don’t like to go in my reviews.

It was really nice to see the characters grow. I feel like Abigail gets stronger with every book and I love seeing her triumph. We get a few questions answered in this one, we finally find out the truth behind what happened to Jenny. A couple of Jackaby’s many secrets were revealed as well, though I do think there are plenty of
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!

Another fantastic book in the Jackaby series, in Ghostly Echoes we finally get to learn more about Jenny and her case. Again, the characters are all fantastic, including all the new ones that we get to meet and those returning from the previous books. And I really enjoyed following the larger story that finally begins to piece together in this book.

Though there are a few slower moments throughout this installment, it does pick up again and provides much needed information and setup for the
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
I didn't love the writing as much as I did the second book. I thought from Jackaby to Beastly Bones had really grown in writing style but there were a lot of overused words in Ghostly Echoes that was bothersome and a few places where the action slipped a bit and I had to look back to catch up and make sure I hadn't missed anything.

The story did progress rather well though!! I love where this overall series arc is going and I always appreciate being able to look back and see what had been planne
Tara
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, Ritter has finally done it; he finally got me to rate a Jackaby novel 5 stars. ;)

I really love this series, and I'm sad that I only have one book left. I'm not going to buy the next one until it comes out in paperback, though, so I won't have to say goodbye to Jackaby and Co. for at least a year..

Anyway, this story was just as gripping and entertaining as the other two, and I really enjoyed getting to learn more about Jenny. The characters have definitely grown into
Kayla
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a great installment in the series, the supernatural elements in this story are some of the best that I've read about in YA books.
Misty
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐...what a delightful story!! It was nice to finally find out how Jenny died. And we also got a bit of information about Jackaby!!! Looking forward to the next book!!! ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
EDIT: I've decided since I didn't really care for this or the one before, and since it's going in a darker direction than I'd like, that I'm not going to read the final book. I just don't want to go through that. I'll enjoy the fact that I loved the first book and the novella, but I'm done with Jackaby from here, and that's okay.

(Review originally posted on The Page Dreamer: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...)

I've been looking forward to reading this for quite awhile, and now I have conflicted feelings on this book, and I can't entirely/>(Review
Stefani Sloma
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ghostly Echoes was one of the top books I was hoping to get at BEA. I LOVED Jackaby and Beastly Bones, and I could not wait to dive back into New Fiddleham with these characters. I was not disappointed.

I absolutely adore these characters and this world so so much. Everything about these books is just…charming. But I think the best part of Ghostly Echoes is that it’s a bit darker than the other two books in the series so far.

The third book in the Jackaby series focuses a lot on Jenny
Colleen Houck
I loved heading into another mystery with Jackaby and his assistant. This time they are headed to the underworld with the help of Charon. We finally get to see what happened to our resident ghost. I totally hear David Tennant in my head as I read these. If you're a Doctor Who fan, you need to pick up these books!
Sebastian
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-reviewed
When I read the first chapters of William Ritter’s young adult fantasy novel „Jackaby“ almost two years ago I soon realized that this was about to become a new favorite series of mine. I’ve always been a sucker for historical crime fiction especially when it’s set in the late 19th century and if you also give me a weird detective that feels like a quirky character played by Johnny Depp and taken from a witty Tim Burton movie (seriously, can someone please persuade those two into adapting the boo ...more
Erin
I absolutely love the Jackaby series!! This is probably my favorite one in the series thus far!
Nina Sgro
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Look at all the lower body we see! WHO IS ON THIS COVER?!!! AHHHHHH.
☆ Franzi  ☆
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good

After all those questions I had after book 2 I got some answers...and some more questions.

I laughed, I even more cried because damn, there are some heartbreaking moments just when you don't expect them.

I loved that we finally got to know more about Jenny and also about Jackaby and I hope we'll get to know him some more in book 4.

Also I want a Douglas ♥

Some spoiler under the cut

(view spoiler)
Shelves: young-adult, own
4.5 stars!!
mytaakeonit
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This third book in the Jackaby series brought back my initial love for the characters and story line. The second book dragged a bit, but reading it was totally worth it for Ghostly Echoes. I’m very excited to read the Dire King!

• The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2)
  • These Vengeful Souls (These Vicious Masks, #3)
  • The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co., #5)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • The Law of Finders Keepers (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #4)
  • Newt's Emerald
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Salem Brownstone: All Along the Watchtowers
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • The Case of the Girl in Grey (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #2)
  • Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4)
  • Theodosia and the Flame of Sekhmet (Theodosia Throckmorton, #5)
  • The Wondrous and the Wicked (The Dispossessed, #3)
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 5
  • Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye
  • Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)
  • The Crowfield Demon (Crowfield Abbey, #2)
  • Odd & True
WILLIAM RITTER is an Oregon educator and author of the New York Times bestselling Jackaby series. He is the proud father of the two bravest boys in the Wild Wood, and husband to the indomitable Queen of the Deep Dark.

Jackaby (4 books)
  • Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • The Dire King (Jackaby, #4)
“It is the ugliest aspect of human nature that we fear what is most different from ourselves with such violent contempt.” 12 likes
“There is something humbling about knowing that an entity capable of moving mountains and reshaping continents still takes the time to tend to the smallest patch of dirt. Little things matter. Footsteps matter.” 11 likes