Start by marking “The Girl Who Drank the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Drank the Moon

The Girl Who Drank the Moon

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  22,241 Ratings  ·  4,778 Reviews
Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind and gentle. She shares her home with a wise Swamp Monster named Glerk and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, Fyrian. Xan rescues the abandoned children and delivers t ...more
Published August 9th 2016 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Drank the Moon, please sign up.
Kelly I wrote this with a fifth grade reader in mind - but the cool thing about Middle Grade Fiction in general is that it allows for "Big Tent…moreI wrote this with a fifth grade reader in mind - but the cool thing about Middle Grade Fiction in general is that it allows for "Big Tent Storytelling". In other words, everyone is invited: little kids, big kids, teenagers, adults, old people. Everyone. The story manifests differently for different people - just like my experience reading THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE as an adult is different than the experience I had as a teenager, which is different than the experience I had as a child. Same book, different stories. There are some scary bits in this story, but no scarier than any other fairy tale. If they can handle the prose (and I don't pull any punches with the difficulty; I always expect my readers to come with their A game), then they can handle the content. I hope that helps!(less)
Mary Lanham The book doesn't include real-world ethnicities or races, but several of the main characters are described as having darker skin and curling black…moreThe book doesn't include real-world ethnicities or races, but several of the main characters are described as having darker skin and curling black hair. The setting has a classic fairy tale feel without being overtly European, so it's the sort of book kids from many different backgrounds will be able to identify with. Hope this is helpful!(less)

Hannah Greendale

The people of the Protectorate leave a baby deep in the forest each year, a sacrificial offering made to a witch to deter her from terrorizing the village. When the witch, Xan, finds the babies, she feeds them starlight, but one year she accidentally pulls light from the moon and enmagicks a baby girl. Xan knows that the baby imbued with moonlight will have extraordinary abilities, so she decides to raise t
Lola  Reviewer
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars.

This is the story of a little baby girl sent to die but who is adopted by a good witch instead. Without meaning to, the Witch pours magic into Luna but, instead of letting her draw from her magic, she bounds it until Luna’s thirteenth birthday.

Incidentally, that is the day the Witch decides to let herself die. But that day is coming and coming, closer and closer, and the Witch starts to regret her decision.

There obviously is more happening in the story than only that. In fact, we hav
Donalyn
Stunning language and memorable characters. Worthy of a spot alongside Susan Cooper, Ursula LeGuin, and Lloyd Alexander. The sort of book that makes you believe in magic (and love).
Anne
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Look at that beaut' of a cover guys! How could anyone walk past this in a bookstore and NOT want to read it?! And then the blurb: witches, tiny dragons, swamp monsters, lunar magic...this book had all the ingredients for me to drop everything and just read! Which is why it turned out to be even more disappointing than it would've been without the great expectations...

Blurb (8)

Oh, where to start?! The first 10% was fabulous. After that:

giphy (3).gif

I'll just divide this review into pros and cons to make it easier for
Renata
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The beauty of this book begins with its magical title: The Girl Who Drank the Moon.
Luna is enmagicked as a baby by being fed the silvery honeyed moon beams. I was both jealous of that experience and yet felt kinship with it - how often have I felt graced by the gentle silvery radiance of moonlight! Of course, this being a fantasy novel,Luna's magic was more tangible!
The Girl Who Drank the Moon is a fabulous work of fantasy pulling strongly on the art of storytelling and richly imbued with inte
Book Riot Community
I’m not surprised this won the Newbery, because it is absolutely stunning. Told in a wonderfully mystical narrative, this book is sure to join the ranks of enduring middle grade classics. The story centers around a long held tradition in the Protectorate, that every year the youngest child must be sacrificed to appease the witch in the forest. But right away the reader finds out the the witch, named Xan, is actually kind and makes the yearly trek to the Protectorate to save the babies from dying ...more
La La
This book was way too long for Middle Grade, there was too much boring political content, and it was having a huge identity crisis. Some parts read like a great Children's chapterbook, a lot of it was based on an older character and read like okay YA, and then there were two adults in the story who had their adult thinking added in too often. For such a long book there was very little MG age interesting content.

Many of the scenes were too long and a lot of them were basically the same scene in a
Peter Damien
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just finished, and it was so amazing. Gorgeous, lyrical writing, a warm and clever story, a fairy tale quality. Reminded me of STARDUST by Neil Gaiman, more than anything else. Really recommended.
Calista
This is a new favorite book of mine. I love this book. I love Luna and her dragon. I love the witch who feed her moonlight. The story feels so big and it seems there is more to it and behind it. I love the tone of the book and the feeling of magic conveyed to the reader. There are some really horrible things that happen in the village and Sister Igraine is quite a character. I love the resolution of the book and how things conclude. It is so satisfying. I don't want to give anything away, simply ...more
Iryna (Book and Sword)
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
pre-read
This has been on my TBR for awhile, and I have finally checked out a copy from the library.
For some reason I have a feeling that I will love it.
Just have to finish some other books first.
___________________________________

Full review, complete with quotes is up on my book blog

From the moment I started reading and to the last page this was a solid 4 star read for me.
If I had to describe this book in one word I would say - atmospheric.

The world pulls you in, making you feel as you are
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)

To be honest, the blurb for this book was TL;DR but I picked it up based on the title and cover alone. That's almost a sure way to be disappointed, I know, but in this case it worked out!

So, what do you get when you take:

-a kind and clever witch
-a poetry reciting swamp monster
-an adorably naive Perfectly Tiny Dragon who believes he's actually a Simply Enormous Dragon
-a girl whose magic cannot be contained

Mix in a volcano, a town swamped with sorrow, add heaping spoonfuls of starlight, m
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
This book was a whimsical treasure of a book. It's one of those middle grade books that works on two levels, like a Pixar movie. Middle graders will love the story just for the story (even if some of the deeper themes woven in go over their head; not discounting children readers, though, we don't give them enough credit), but adults will also find a lot of deeper meaning to the book.

This is a story for EVERYONE to enjoy.

Beautiful writing, quirky, lovable characters (like a big-hearted and wise
Justine
This is is such an amazing book with so much to love about it. The story is multilayered and beautiful, sad and uplifting. The characters are all so, so wonderful and unique. I loved each and every one of them. The writing is a joy.

The audiobook narrator did such an excellent job with this book, giving each character a wonderfully unique slant. I listened to this with my kids, but I would have enjoyed it just as much listening to it on my own.

Highly recommended.
Jessica
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stunningly beautiful writing mixed with a perfectly plotted story filled with adventure, humor, and love. Each of Kelly's middle grade books gets exponentially better (which is astonishing, because they are all amazing), and this one will be a new classic for certain sure.
Abby Johnson
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can see why everyone's raving about this book. It's a complex, rich, magical story with unforgettable characters. It has that feel of a classic fantasy story about witches and forests and magic, but it's also a fresh approach that interweaves science and critical thinking and legend and being kept down by The Man. It's a review cliche to say that it's a story about the power of stories, but IT IS. It's about who's telling the stories and the book gives this macro view while the characters can ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously

DNF

Sometimes you click with a book, sometimes you don't. I was curious about this book because of the Newbery Award but I've been pushing myself for days to keep reading this and I am just not interested anymore.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Mollie Reads
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I adore this book. Kelly is a masterful storyteller, and I feel this one was brewing in her for a while. Lovers of middle grade—no matter their age—will come away with their own kind of sticky-sweet starlight: more joy, inspiration to forgive and cling to hope, and love multiplied. This is a story about magic, how lies and sorrow and fear can rule and ruin, but how even the brokenness of the mad can be repaired with strength and hope. Sorrow erupts, love blooms, stories bend, paper birds cut ...more
Melissa Stacy
"The Girl Who Drank the Moon" is middle grade fiction, and I read this fantasy because the cover is GORGEOUS and that image promised great things. But this story isn't really about the young girl on the book cover, or her little dragon friend. While that young girl and the little dragon are certainly characters in this novel, the story follows at least a dozen different people and creatures in an omniscient, head-hopping narrative voice that tries to channel Laini Taylor's prose in "Daughter of ...more
Doug Bradshaw
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm in the middle of another more serious book and after a great review from my Goodreads friend, Renata, I decided to pause to read something a little lighter and fun. I can see why Kelly Barnhill received a lot of awards for this great book. Her writing is crisp and clear, the perfect fairy tale story teller. The themes are all there, magic, love, sorrow, conservative ornery leaders who don't realize they're under the power of very old magic.

The magic comes from the moon and the stars and it w
Lindsay
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Fwew. Finally! It felt like it took me forever to finally get through this. I would rate this somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars. It's not a bad book, but for a Newbery winner, I was expecting more.

What Worked:

The writing is very pretty. Descriptive, poetic, lyrical...it has all the makings of an old-fashioned fairy tale story.

It has some intriguing characters- a swamp monster who's been around since the beginning of the world, a sorrow eater, a childlike dragon, a magical girl...it has a lot of
i fall in love book blog
I've been done with this book for a couple of weeks, and wasn't sure how to write this review. I thought about just throwing a 3 or 4 star rating down and being done with it, but I feel like I owe it to my friends that have similar tastes to be honest.
I wanted to love this book.
The cover was gorgeous.
The writing was gorgeous.
The ending came together perfectly.
I didn't love this book.
I kept pushing through it, hoping that I would have an "AH-HA" moment and fall head over heels in love with it.
Hiba
“Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. Some of the most wonderful things in the world are invisible. Trusting in invisible things makes them more powerful and wondrous.”
People of Protectorate are led to believe by thier rulers that their is an evil With in the dangerous forest. Each year, they sacrifice a new born child to the witch in hope that she does not harm their towns. The rulers of Protectorate thinks that their is no Witch and child will die and through th
Nanly
Feb 21, 2018 is currently reading it
When you're already getting the feels just from reading the title of the book:

Gypsy
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

به نظرم یه خرده کِشدار بود. ولی خیلی شخصیتپردازیهاش خوب بود و گره و تعلیق قویای داشت. با اینکه اصلاً ایدهی خاص و نویی نداشت. ولی شیوه بیانش قشنگ بود و شوکهایی که من شخصاً نتونسته بودم پیشبینیشون کنم. فیریان خیلی شخصیت نازی بود یا فلسفهای که برای مرداب توی داستان وجود داشت. جملات پایانی با مرداب تموم شدن و واقعاً چقد قشنگ تموم شد داستان. مفهوم و تعبیرات نویسنده رو خیلی دوست داشتم. اومدم سه بدم ولی واقعاً به خاطر شخصیتپردازیهاش نمیتونم.
Cherry (_forevermint)
HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you like witches, books with fairytale vibes, cute little dragons, stories about family, love, friendship, MAGIC, growing up, and gorgeous writing. I loved this book as soon as I started it and kept loving it long after the last page. I am keeping this on my shelf foreverrrrrr to read to my future children someday haha. I don't normally say that about a lot of books, and I also don't generally read middle grade, but after loving this one so much, I think I'm going to have to ...more
Taryn Pierson
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-release, audio
I might be a grown-ass woman, but I love books written for middle schoolers. Middle school may not be a time many people look back on with fondness (acne! training bras! nocturnal emissions!), but at least kids that age get the good stuff when it comes to books. I think the secret is they’re not really books *only* for middle schoolers, they’re books that are accessible to *all* readers. Or so I tell myself, so as not to feel like a creeper when I, as a 31-year-old woman with no children and thu ...more
Reem Ghabbany
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was Splendid and full of magic! It was aimed toward a younger audience though and the writing style was too simple for my taste but I definitely enjoyed every bit of it.
Lata
I loved so much in this story:
-The tone of the narrator, who comments throughout the story about the legends of the witch of the forest
-Antain and his desires to be a carpenter and cause no harm to others
-Thene's (sp?) steely strength and intelligence
-The poet/monster Glerk, and his caring and kind behaviour
-Xan, whom I simply adored for her enormous heart and compassion
-Luna and how she learns and grows, and loves her friends utterly
-Luna's mother, who never, ever gives up on finding her daught
Dessislava
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
С гордост и уверено заявявам, че това е един от най-очарователните детски романи, които някога съм чела.
Магическа история, удивително симпатични герои (по-голямата част), приказна атмосфера, чудесии и битка между доброто и злото.
Susana
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every single reader

I definitely need to read more Kelly Barnhill stories, because this is my second book by the author, and once again I've given it five stars...
Look, I don't know how to properly review this story. Part of me just wants to gush about the writing, the plot, the characters, the depth, the symbolism, the enchanting magical realism writing style.
I don't want to pick things apart, like I normally do.
This is a story about finding out who you are. A story about love and friendship, and what makes family
  • The Door by the Staircase
  • The Secret Horses of Briar Hill
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • Foxheart (Foxheart, #1)
  • Grayling's Song
  • A Most Magical Girl
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates, #1)
  • If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
  • Baker's Magic
  • The Key to Extraordinary
  • Moo
  • Nine, Ten: A September 11 Story
  • Towers Falling
I'm a writer, a mom, a wife, a dog owner, a reader, a thinker, a hiker, a friend, a runner, a teacher, a listener, terrible gardener, a lover of nature. Sometimes I'm all of these things at once.

I'm also a former bartender, former park ranger, former waitress, former church janitor, former kosher meat slicer, former wild-eyed activist, former wildland firefighter, former coffee jerk, former phon
More about Kelly Barnhill

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Knowledge is power, but it is a terrible power when it is hoarded and hidden.” 52 likes
“How many feelings can one heart hold?... Infinite, Luna thought. The way the universe is infinite. It is light and dark and endless motion; it is space and time, and space within space, and time within time. And she knew: there is no limit to what the heart can carry.” 34 likes