Start by marking “Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953” as Want to Read:
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953

(Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. #2)

Hellboy and his mentor Bruttenholm travel across England and confront the phantom hand of a murderer, a demonic water spirit, and some of the most horrible figures of British folklore—Rawhead Rex and Bloody Bones. Back in the States, Hellboy rejoins the team from 1952 as a monster with possible ties to an earlier mission ravages a suburban community. Collects the five-issu ...more
Published August 10th 2016 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2

Start your review of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953
Sam Quixote
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
1953 is an anthology of Hellboy stories set in the UK and America when he was just starting out with the BPRD and, snakes alive, are they a boring and uninspired bunch!

Hellboy goes demon/ghost/witch hunting in merry old England with Professor Bruttenholm, punching them all because Mike Mignola ran out of ideas years ago, while the three-part story sees Hellboy punching monsters in the good old US of A.

These are the most generic, bland, run-of-the-mill Hellboy stories you can read. I apprecia
Paul E. Morph
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great Hellboy new-material-set-in-the-past collection; I really enjoyed this. It's the next best thing to getting new Hellboy tales set in the present day.

The first four tales in this collection, set in the UK, felt more like 'traditional' Hellboy stories to me (and I include the artwork in that) and I preferred these stories to the second (three part) story set in the American suburbs. That's not to say I disliked the second story; I actually got a kick out of seeing the big red cheese
Chad
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
First we have a bunch of shorter stories set in England with art by Ben Stenbeck. I like having Professor Bruttenholm back in the books. He died very soon after Mignola introduced Hellboy. It's nice getting to see the two of them interact. They most resemble the standard Hellboy stories in both art and coloring. Stenbeck'a art is simple and clean. I quite like seeing his art in the Hellboy universe.

Next up is a story drawn by Michael Walsh about some Chinese ghosts. The story felt formulaic and
Sud666
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
1953 is a series of short stories and a slightly longer three-part short story called "Beyond the Fences".

The Phantom Hand and the Witch Tree are the best of the five short stories. The rest aren't bad but nothing amazing. The three part Beyond the Fences is pretty good, though rather weird. Really not much to say about this issue. An enjoyable addition to my Hellboy collection. If you're a fan you'll want this one as well. The artwork, by Ben Stenbeck, is good but not quite to Mignola's level.
Sonic
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this stuff.

Great art, Dark weird stories.

A retro reunion (of sorts) with our (now dead) hero Hellboy

and a fun interesting oddsortment of fun characters from the fledgling B.P.R.D.

Lata
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I've been reading Hellboy and B.P.R.D stories for years. I like the mix of horror, legends, myths, creepy houses, tentacled creatures, and Hellboy's active approach to problem-solving.
This is a series of short stories, with some recurring characters. It was nice to see a reference to the 1946 and '47 stories.
Wing Kee
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ah feels like old times, and the old times are so so good!

World: The art is wonderful, from Mignola art to the other artists like Stenbeck and Rivera they all bring a style to the HBU and they all are gorgeous and full of character. I love art that is expressive and these artists are just that. The world building here is solid but very self contained. Sure there is bigger picture at play with the BPRD and Varvara but for the most part the stories are self contained and the world building is also
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss and Dark Horse Comics in exchange for an honest review.

Meh, not much to this one. Felt like I was reading weekly comic strips.
Keen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it

I definitely enjoyed this more than its predecessor. This follow up also takes a slightly different approach in that this is made up of a series of short stories, most of them set in the UK, with the last one being the exception which is set in US suburbia.

There was a pleasing gothic feel to these short stories, with many traditional themes and familiar plot lines being used to some interesting effect. At times this had the feel of a compilation of short horror stories you’d pick up on a whim in
Andrew
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: a, comics
Yep. I don't really understand what happened to Mignola. He doesn't seem capable of writing fun stories anymore. The short story about the haunted hand was the best thing here, but it was really nothing special.
Rick
Hello, My Name is Rick. And I'm a Hellboy addict.

Seriously.

I've been getting these comics since Hellboy Seed of Destruction #1 back in 1994. So, yeah - longtime fan. Big fan. Am I biased? I suppose so. I mean when the fanboy-bug bites and doesn't let go, you've got one option to slake the need: and issue after issue and series after series and month after month and year after year, Mike Mignola does not disappoint. I know his involvement these days is probably not much more than spiritual advi
Aaron
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
HELLBOY RETROSPECTIVE 2016 (actually my first non-retro Hellboy read this year, brand new volume)
Lots of treading old ground with Hellboy & Professor Broom but they did bother to bring back the BPRD agents intro'd in 1952. This volume is more of an anthology focused themes of the first volume - rookie Hellboy getting his feet wet while people fret about his ultimate destiny. Beyond that it has a very classic Hellboy punching monsters feel. I do wish if they're going to do this year by year start
Brandon St Mark
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a continuous story, but the issies in this were pretty cool (and Sue was a common focal point, so I guess maybe that helped).
Harry Casey-Woodward
After reading the first volume of ‘Hellboy in Hell’ I lost my faith in the writer, but it has been restored a little bit by this collection. Namely because Mignola has returned to a format he was good at: short supernatural stories involving Hellboy the paranormal investigator, working for the BPRD in 1953.

The first few stories are my favourite, since they’re all centred around English ghost stories and Hellboy is accompanied by a young Professor Bruttenholm. It’s nice to see Hellboy’s adoptive
Cale
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is basically a collection of short stories and one mini-series. The highlight is Beyond the Fences, where Hellboy and BPRD deal with a disturbing creatures in suburbia - it's a different type of story, although it does end up in lots of punching. The other stories aren't particularly memorable - there's a flashback story about a kelpie that I guess was aiming for atmosphere but didn't do much of anything, and then there's a story about Asian ghosts that was decent. The art was okay overall, ...more
J
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
So if you read the normal Hellboy timeline that's come to an end and if you read B.P.R.D that storyline too is coming to an end. So what's a guy to do when he's written himself right into the end of the world but he's clearly not tired of the character? Delve into the past of course, and so our second volume of Hellboy in the 50s features the kind of short stories and minor storylines that the character started out with -- and that isn't a bad thing at all. Some fun, brief pieces here to wile aw ...more
Lacee
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was smiling through this entire book! Just like 1952 this trade feels like a call back to the original Hellboy comics and I couldn't be happier. 1953 is a collection of shorts, some longer than others. I've always enjoyed Hellboy stories being told in this format. Though long form is great too, shorter stories allow for more intimate interactions which is where Hellboy as a character really shines. We are back to punching monsters and demons which is also where Hellboy thrives. I'm really lovi ...more
Arnela
These stories are drawn but different artists and while after seeing Mignola's art I had a moment of "what is this", it's still very well done. The styles have a bit of a more modern day comic feel to them.

It's a pretty enjoyable collection of young hellboy and his early years of working with the B.PR.D. hunting the simple things first, the usual ghost hands, witches, scientifically modified housepets, the usual.
Edouard Stenger
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A little under the 1952 story, I still liked it and had a good time. Hellboy is already bad-ass, the supportive characters are likeable and Susan and Stenger, damn, Stegner... are likeable.

This one has a few very short stories before the main one. Interesting but as I am huge fan I would have preferred more of it. More details, more setting building... Hellboy stories are always too short to me...

Nonetheless, a good graphic novels in the Hellboy franchise / universe.
Bill Coffin
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unlike the first Hellboy and the BPRD volume, this is an anthology of one-shot stories which detail some of Hellboy’s earlier adventures. None of this captures the dark whimsy of Mignola’s one-shots from the early days of the Hellboy series, but these tales do work quite nicely on their own, and are a welcome addition to the larger Mignolaverse, especially for those who pine for simpler, less weighty stories that offset the crushing darkness the Mignolaverse ultimately brings.
Lee
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The stories have not all equally good

The Phantom Hand - 3*- not predictable, but not very exciting.

The Kelpie - 3*- wooo!! This is a classic ghost story (from Trevor Bruttenholm's past) that would not be out of place if told at any late night camp fire.

The Witch Tree - 4*- an exciting tale set in the English countryside, drawing equally from history and mythology

Rawhead and Bloody Bones - 4*- Something as simple as naming your pub after grave robbers has the power to invoke their spirits to rise
Pop Bop
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Pseudo-Retro Snack

These are new short stories supposedly set back in 1953 in the context of the B.P.R.D.. I'm a big fan of Mignola's Hellboy and of some of the longer arcs, but I have to admit that this mini-series collection only offered an occasional treat.

There are a lot of contributors. Four shorts were written by Mignola and drawn by Ben Stenbeck. The fifth short was written by Mignola and Chris Roberson and was drawn by Michael Walsh. The final tale, in three parts, was also written by
Robert Hudder
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some short stories chained together. Some fun for sure and... I heard that this is going to be the next set to be built out into its own series. So, nice place to land while waiting for the next in the HB line.
Lucas Chance
This is the Reason Why I Read Hellboy and the Mignolaverse

Hellboy fights Roman centurion zombies and dogs turned into monsters by a material from another realm of existence. The art is good too. What else needs to be said?
John
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the earlier short stories written by Mignola, The Witch Tree being especially good. However, I didn't care as much for the larger Beyond the Fences.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm still bummed that Mignola didn't do any of the illustrations this volume but overall I liked them better that those of 1952 and the stories this time around all proved immensely enjoyable.
Koen Claeys
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was ok.
Ronald
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not bad, a bunch of short stories of Hellboy working for the B.P.R.D in 1953.
Good stuff!

• East of West, Vol. 9
  • Cemetery Beach
  • Doctor Star & the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 1
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. (5 books)
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952