Start by marking “Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953” as Want to Read:
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953

(Hellboy and the B.P.R.D #2)

Hellboy and his mentor Bruttenholm travel across England and confront the phantom hand of a murderer, a demonic water spirit, and some of the most horrible figures of British folklore—Rawhead Rex and Bloody Bones. Back in the States, Hellboy rejoins the team from 1952 as a monster with possible ties to an earlier mission ravages a suburban community. Collects the five-issu ...more
Published August 10th 2016 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2

Sam Quixote
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
1953 is an anthology of Hellboy stories set in the UK and America when he was just starting out with the BPRD and, snakes alive, are they a boring and uninspired bunch!

Hellboy goes demon/ghost/witch hunting in merry old England with Professor Bruttenholm, punching them all because Mike Mignola ran out of ideas years ago, while the three-part story sees Hellboy punching monsters in the good old US of A.

These are the most generic, bland, run-of-the-mill Hellboy stories you can read. I appreciate
Paul E. Morph
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great Hellboy new-material-set-in-the-past collection; I really enjoyed this. It's the next best thing to getting new Hellboy tales set in the present day.

The first four tales in this collection, set in the UK, felt more like 'traditional' Hellboy stories to me (and I include the artwork in that) and I preferred these stories to the second (three part) story set in the American suburbs. That's not to say I disliked the second story; I actually got a kick out of seeing the big red cheese
Chad
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
First we have a bunch of shorter stories set in England with art by Ben Stenbeck. I like having Professor Bruttenholm back in the books. He died very soon after Mignola introduced Hellboy. It's nice getting to see the two of them interact. They most resemble the standard Hellboy stories in both art and coloring. Stenbeck'a art is simple and clean. I quite like seeing his art in the Hellboy universe.

Next up is a story drawn by Michael Walsh about some Chinese ghosts. The story felt formulaic and
Sud666
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
1953 is a series of short stories and a slightly longer three-part short story called "Beyond the Fences".

The Phantom Hand and the Witch Tree are the best of the five short stories. The rest aren't bad but nothing amazing. The three part Beyond the Fences is pretty good, though rather weird. Really not much to say about this issue. An enjoyable addition to my Hellboy collection. If you're a fan you'll want this one as well. The artwork, by Ben Stenbeck, is good but not quite to Mignola's level.
Sonic
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this stuff.

Great art, Dark weird stories.

A retro reunion (of sorts) with our (now dead) hero Hellboy

and a fun interesting oddsortment of fun characters from the fledgling B.P.R.D.

Lata
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I've been reading Hellboy and B.P.R.D stories for years. I like the mix of horror, legends, myths, creepy houses, tentacled creatures, and Hellboy's active approach to problem-solving.
This is a series of short stories, with some recurring characters. It was nice to see a reference to the 1946 and '47 stories.
Wing Kee
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ah feels like old times, and the old times are so so good!

World: The art is wonderful, from Mignola art to the other artists like Stenbeck and Rivera they all bring a style to the HBU and they all are gorgeous and full of character. I love art that is expressive and these artists are just that. The world building here is solid but very self contained. Sure there is bigger picture at play with the BPRD and Varvara but for the most part the stories are self contained and the world building is also
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss and Dark Horse Comics in exchange for an honest review.

Meh, not much to this one. Felt like I was reading weekly comic strips.
Andrew
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: c-comics, read-own-d
Yep. I don't really understand what happened to Mignola. He doesn't seem capable of writing fun stories anymore. The short story about the haunted hand was the best thing here, but it was really nothing special.
Rick
Hello, My Name is Rick. And I'm a Hellboy addict.

Seriously.

I've been getting these comics since Hellboy Seed of Destruction #1 back in 1994. So, yeah - longtime fan. Big fan. Am I biased? I suppose so. I mean when the fanboy-bug bites and doesn't let go, you've got one option to slake the need: and issue after issue and series after series and month after month and year after year, Mike Mignola does not disappoint. I know his involvement these days is probably not much more than spiritual advi
Aaron
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
HELLBOY RETROSPECTIVE 2016 (actually my first non-retro Hellboy read this year, brand new volume)
Lots of treading old ground with Hellboy & Professor Broom but they did bother to bring back the BPRD agents intro'd in 1952. This volume is more of an anthology focused themes of the first volume - rookie Hellboy getting his feet wet while people fret about his ultimate destiny. Beyond that it has a very classic Hellboy punching monsters feel. I do wish if they're going to do this year by year s
Brandon St Mark
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a continuous story, but the issies in this were pretty cool (and Sue was a common focal point, so I guess maybe that helped).
Canavan
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
✭✭✭
Harry Casey-Woodward
After reading the first volume of ‘Hellboy in Hell’ I lost my faith in the writer, but it has been restored a little bit by this collection. Namely because Mignola has returned to a format he was good at: short supernatural stories involving Hellboy the paranormal investigator, working for the BPRD in 1953.

The first few stories are my favourite, since they’re all centred around English ghost stories and Hellboy is accompanied by a young Professor Bruttenholm. It’s nice to see Hellboy’s adoptive
Paul Mirek
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, spies
Where Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952 left me wanting, this volume delivers. That may be partly due to Chris Roberson's debut as co-writer for this volume--while I appreciate John Arcudi's work when he's firing on all cylinders, Roberson's scripting is slyer and more knowing than what we got in the first miniseries. Ben Stenbeck and Paolo Rivera provide the art, and there are multiple pages from both that I wanted to pull out and hang up on my wall. The short stories that begin this volum ...more
Cale
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is basically a collection of short stories and one mini-series. The highlight is Beyond the Fences, where Hellboy and BPRD deal with a disturbing creatures in suburbia - it's a different type of story, although it does end up in lots of punching. The other stories aren't particularly memorable - there's a flashback story about a kelpie that I guess was aiming for atmosphere but didn't do much of anything, and then there's a story about Asian ghosts that was decent. The art was okay overall, ...more
J
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
So if you read the normal Hellboy timeline that's come to an end and if you read B.P.R.D that storyline too is coming to an end. So what's a guy to do when he's written himself right into the end of the world but he's clearly not tired of the character? Delve into the past of course, and so our second volume of Hellboy in the 50s features the kind of short stories and minor storylines that the character started out with -- and that isn't a bad thing at all. Some fun, brief pieces here to wile aw ...more
Edouard Stenger
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A little under the 1952 story, I still liked it and had a good time. Hellboy is already bad-ass, the supportive characters are likeable and Susan and Stenger, damn, Stegner... are likeable.

This one has a few very short stories before the main one. Interesting but as I am huge fan I would have preferred more of it. More details, more setting building... Hellboy stories are always too short to me...

Nonetheless, a good graphic novels in the Hellboy franchise / universe.
Arnela
These stories are drawn but different artists and while after seeing Mignola's art I had a moment of "what is this", it's still very well done. The styles have a bit of a more modern day comic feel to them.

It's a pretty enjoyable collection of young hellboy and his early years of working with the B.PR.D. hunting the simple things first, the usual ghost hands, witches, scientifically modified housepets, the usual.
Robert Hudder
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some short stories chained together. Some fun for sure and... I heard that this is going to be the next set to be built out into its own series. So, nice place to land while waiting for the next in the HB line.
Lucas Chance
This is the Reason Why I Read Hellboy and the Mignolaverse

Hellboy fights Roman centurion zombies and dogs turned into monsters by a material from another realm of existence. The art is good too. What else needs to be said?
Pop Bop
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Pseudo-Retro Snack

These are new short stories supposedly set back in 1953 in the context of the B.P.R.D.. I'm a big fan of Mignola's Hellboy and of some of the longer arcs, but I have to admit that this mini-series collection only offered an occasional treat.

There are a lot of contributors. Four shorts were written by Mignola and drawn by Ben Stenbeck. The fifth short was written by Mignola and Chris Roberson and was drawn by Michael Walsh. The final tale, in three parts, was also written by
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm still bummed that Mignola didn't do any of the illustrations this volume but overall I liked them better that those of 1952 and the stories this time around all proved immensely enjoyable.
Koen Claeys
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was ok.
John
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the earlier short stories written by Mignola, The Witch Tree being especially good. However, I didn't care as much for the larger Beyond the Fences.
Emily
Shelves: challenge-7, library
😍
Tom Ewing
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
In principle, this series about the old time BPRD is an elegant solution to the fact that the current Hellboy continuity makes it impossible to tell the kind of short, folkloric stories the character cut his teeth on. In practise, this is Mignolaverse comfort food - nothing new, but all done well enough to satisfy. The first, Mignola-written, issues are the best - nobody writes ghost story shorts as sparely or elegantly as he does, leaving just enough out to make the story linger, and the Britis ...more
Gabriel Wallis
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gabriel by: Verity Wallis
Shelves: 2016
Another great Hellboy graphic novel. Love reading these! This graphic novel consisted of a bunch of short stories. Love the art, love the writing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Tokyo Ghost, Vol. 2: Come Join Us
  • Bumf Vol. 1: I Buggered The Kaiser
  • Hellblazer: Pandemonium
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination
  • Complete 30 Days of Night Trilogy
  • The MAXX: Maxximized, Volume 1
  • Ghosts And Ruins
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D (4 books)
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952