Start by marking “When a Marquis Chooses a Bride (The Worthingtons, #2)” as Want to Read:
When a Marquis Chooses a Bride (The Worthingtons, #2)

When a Marquis Chooses a Bride (The Worthingtons #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  806 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Thanks to their large extended family and unconventional courtship, the Worthingtons have seen their share of scandal and excitement. But nothing has prepared them for this...

The Dowager Lady Worthington isn’t quite sure what to make of country-girl Dorothea Stern. As the granddaughter of the Duke of Bristol, Dotty is schooled in the ways and means of the nobility. But her
Published August 30th 2016 by Zebra Shout

To ask other readers questions about When a Marquis Chooses a Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Marquis Chooses a Bride

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

It's been awhile since I've read a book where the heroine is so blatantly fragile and feminine in a book. Don't get me wrong Dotty is definitely on my list of strong heroines but unlike the others I've read, Dotty had a certain fragility or rather while she was a strong character she still had that air of innocence that is so common in historical romance heroines and I pretty much loved her for it.

After almost missing the season, which also happens to be her coming out, Dotty is finally able to
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was a very enjoyable Regency romance. Dominic seems a bit stiff-necked, but he mellows beautifully. Any man who could fall in love with a kitten has my thumbs up! Dotty is a very lovable heroine, and I liked the look at Regency manners. It was nice to visit with the Worthington clan again.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Sissy's Romance Book Review
'When a Marquis Chooses a Bride' by Ella Quinn is book two in "The Worthingtons" series. This is the story of Dominic, the Marquis of Merton 'Dom' and Dorothea Stern 'Dotty/Thea'. I have read the previous book 'Three Weeks To Wed' which focused on Lady Grace Carpenter and Matt, Earl of Worthington. Matt is the cousin of Dom and Grace is friends with Dotty (actually Grace's sister and Dotty are best friends) but this book is easily a stand alone book. It does have Matt and Grace (the whole family ...more
AnnMarie
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When A Marquis Chooses a Bride is the second book in 'The Worthingtons' series by Ella Quinn. It can be read as a stand alone novel, but having read the first book, I think you can only get extra enjoyment from this book if you have read that one. It's wonderful to catch up on the characters from book one.

This is the story of Dorothea Stern and Dominic, the Marquis of Merton. Dotty, or Thea as Dorothea is known, is best friends with Lady Grace's sister who lives with her and her other siblings (
Tracy Emro
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I loved this book, it was a perfectly delightful read.

Dom is the Marquis of Merton, he is totally uptight, consumed by his social status and dead set on finding a "proper" wife. We first met Dom in the first book - Three Weeks to Wed - he is the cousin of Matt, Earl of Worthington, in that book he came across as pompous and extremely proper. Needless to say, Matt and his family are not fond of Do
Sandy Kay Kay
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Worthingtons series and I have not read the first one. I think this book is enjoyable even without having read the first one, but you may want to read them in order so you have more background on the characters.

Despite this book being in the series, neither the hero nor the heroine is actually one of the Worthingtons. Dotty (possibly my least favorite romance heroine name ever) is best friends with the sister of the heroine of book 1 and Dominic is a cousin of the
Heather andrews
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dom knows how to make an entrance, and for someone who doesn't apologize a whole lot he knows how to do it right, "suddenly, the door crashed against the wall. Holding a bouquet of red roses, Dom strode into the room, grabbed her hand, and tugged her to him. How dare he presume . . . “I told—” His lips crushed hers as he wrapped one strong arm around her waist tugging her against him." Dom is like a woman at times, the man can be dramatic, "he flopped back against the pillows. “Go then. Before I ...more
Romancebooksandmore
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
this book was okay. it only got three stars because I've noticed a few cliche trends in this series. one. the prominent mothers seem to either die in child birth along with the children. (Both the hero and heroine of the last books mothers) or as in this book the father dies and the mother miscarries (Hero's mother) plus I have read part of the third book and another cliche that is bugging me is finding children on the street who just happen to end up being part of the peerage.
the book is okay
Lissy Liz
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilarious!!!
Good Lord, Domenic is one of the funniest, stuffiest, and very high in the instep character I have encountered in a very long time !
I so enjoyed this story.
Dom's relationship with Thea is in twisted way great.
Janet
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story continues on from Three weeks to Wed the first Worthington story but could be read alone. Dorothea Stern best friend of Charlotte Carpenter thinks she can’t travel to London as her mother has broken her leg. Grace & Matt, Earl & Countess of Worthington invite Dotty to stay with them. Dotty promises her parents that she won’t take any waifs & strays to the Worthingtons, something Dotty is apt to do as she believes everyone needs a chance.
Dotty is welcomed with open arms but
eyes.2c
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pride and consequence take a beating!

Why is it always a pleasure to see the high-in-the-instep stuffy peer fall for the riotous, troublesome female? A female who loosens him from his elevated bonds and trappings of his self importance to reveal the real man beneath.
When Dotty's (Dorothea Stern, granddaughter of the Duke of Bristol) actions inveigle Dominic, the Marquis of Merton, into defending her he finds himself thinking more about her than he should.
This from the man who has composed a list
Rachel
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it

My thoughts:

I have to admit it took me a couple of chapters to get into the story. However from then on I began to sit back and enjoy reading this book. The plot moved at a good pace with plenty of romance and a bit of danger. I was definitely entertained as Dotty and Dom tried to get to their happy ending. Will they succeed?

I liked Dotty pretty much from the beginning as she came across so friendly and kind. It was great how Dotty kept rescuing things it made her character all the more endearin
Elaine
A charming story. I loved the transformation that Dominic went through, from a bit of a stuffed shirt to a Marquis in love. Dom and Thea made a lovely couple.
Very enjoyable reading!
Vikki Vaught
Another great addition to this series. So glad I found it. Happy reading!
Karen Docter
Delightful read as usual from Ms. Quinn. Dom reminded me of Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady. Dorothea was the perfect woman to shake up his life. This one's going on my Keeper Shelf.
Samantha Brody
3.5 stars: a resounding, if mostly simplistic re: the social justice themes in the plot, improvement on the first
Gaele
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Back with Ella Quinn to check out the characters so enjoyable in the first book of the series, although this one can be read on its own. Dorothea (Dottie or Thea) is the best friend of Grace’s sister Charlotte. Missing her best friend who now lives with her sister, Lady Worthington, she’s ready to see her friend and share their coming-out season. When Dottie’s mother is injured, Charlotte convinces her sister to offer as host to Dottie for the season. As with the first book, the family interacti ...more
Krystal
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This story had quite a few good parts - but overall it took me awhile to finish due to the simple fact that it was hard to stay invested in this story and these characters. There was A LOT of repetition especially with Dominic's character. Yes - I understand that his uncle raised him a certain way and taught him some really backwards ways of thinking - I don't need to be reminded of this fact every time he starts feeling some type of emotion.

Then there was the "danger" aspect of things which -
Liz Gavin
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tous
5 ***** Brilliant Regency Novel

** I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**

I’ve a soft spot for regency romances; but it’s been quite a while since I read my last one. I’ve been too busy writing erotica, I guess. LOL So when I was offered a chance to read When a Marquis Chooses a Bride I jumped at it. I couldn’t be happier I did. I’ve just found my new Regency series to read.
Even though this is book 2 in the Worthingtons series, it’s a standalone so you can enjoy it if y
Eimear
ARC kindly provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I have to admit I didn’t think I would enjoy this as much as I did. I don’t normally read Historical Romance but I thought I would give this story a go. I am very glad I did. It was a really fun romantic read.

I thought Dominic was such a well-rounded character. I loved reading about how conflicted he felt between his duty and his heart. I really liked that Dotty saw the best in people including Dominic. She not only brought out the
CeeMarie
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Judy
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the honor of obtaining an advanced copy of this book form the publisher via Net Galley. I must say I loved it. Dom and Thea are perfect for one another. So looking forward to hearing more of their lives together in future books. I found myself laughing out loud one moment then crying the next. Poor Dom did not have a very loving childhood. So when this book comes out on the shelves grab yourself a copy fast. I know I will have my own copy soon.
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
As with the last book I really enjoyed this and it was great to catch up with the Worthingtons.
I loved Dotty/Thea and it was lovely to see Lord Merton evolve from the stuffy Lord of the Manor character in book 1 to a much softer character as he took off the blinkers gained from his uncles upbringing and finally saw the world as it truly is.
Now to wait for book 3.
Brittany
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This is book 2 in the Worthington series by Ella Quinn. I am just loving this series. This book was such a fun read. I had a smile on my face for most of the book. I cannot wait to read the next one!
Nelle
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved how the uptight and stuffy Dom eventually softened when he meets Dotty! It takes a while for him though because he fights against duty and his heart. Dotty, she's a caring girl who doesn't understand why her friends don't like Dom. Loved this sweet story!
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

When A Marquis Chooses A Bride is a charming, and at times heartbreaking romance between total opposites that will captivate and entertain even the most hardened heart. I mean, come on – we have abandoned kittens… what’s not to love about a heroine who rescues kittens, and the man who is learning to open up his softer heart that’s been hidden away for far too long.

When we first meet Dom, he is very easy to dislike. He’s an arrogant, pompous jerk who sees love as fool
Linda Walters
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as well. It is the second one that I have read of the series and it just makes me want to read more of them. I will admit I did hesitate before I read this one. Why? Because I wasn't sure how in the world Dom could become even a barely likable main character. I was introduced to him in the first book and there wasn't a whole lot to like. He was snobbish, stiff and very aware of his being a Marquis. And he spent a lot of time trying to convince people of his superiority ...more
Vânia Nunes
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Dorothea Stern - Dotty - and Charlotte Carpenter (Grace's Sis - #1) are longtime friends and have always planned on making their debut together. But on the eve of traveling to London, Dotty's mother broke her leg.
As soon as Charlotte took notice of the event, talked to her sister, now Countess of Worthington and this immediately invited Dotty to be under her responsibility. After all, the house was already full (and under renovation), what is the problem of having one more person?

In London, it i
Joy
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this one after enjoying the first one at least superficially, and this book started off okay but then took a hard left turn into nopesville partway through. Our "hero" Merton is overconvinced of his importance as a marquis, courtesy of his stuffed-shirt uncle who did nothing but lecture the boy about duty and bloodlines and what-all for his childhood after his father died. So he's rather shocked and disappointed and unsure how to deal with his feelings for a woman who is "only" the dau ...more
Alice
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2. A high in the instep Marquis

Second book in the Worthington series. Well written with loads of romantic encounters. Also a different plot with a foul scheme to abduct women. But this is where the book fails to reach it's peak. It passes through these dangers too fast and easily. Everything, including personal emotional revelations is concluded too quickly without depth.

Plot reveals.........beware

The villainess is caught, hands bound when we see her again and then we are informed she es
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2016 10:39AM
  • No Mistress Of Mine (An American Heiress in London, #4)
  • The Devil Comes Courting (The Worth Saga #3)
  • If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
  • A Bride for the Season (Love's Grace, #3)
  • Mad for the Plaid (The Oxenburg Princes, #3)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • Alec Mackenzie's Art of Seduction (MacKenzies & McBrides, #9)
  • A Midsummer Night's Disgrace
  • My Fair Princess (The Improper Princesses #1)
  • His Scandalous Kiss (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #3)
  • Someone to Love (Westcott, #1)
  • When the Marquess Falls (Hellions of Havisham, #3.5)
  • Six Impossible Things (Rhymes With Love, #6)
  • Lady Claire Is All That (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #3)
  • Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12)
  • The Legendary Lord (Playful Brides, #6)
  • The Perks of Loving a Scoundrel (Seduction Diaries, #3)
  • The Untouchable Earl (Fallen Ladies, #2)
USA Today bestselling author Ella Quinn’s studies and other jobs have always been on the serious side. Reading historical romances, especially Regencies, were her escape. Eventually her love of historical novels led her to start writing them. She has just finished her first series, The Marriage Game, and her new series, The Worthingtons, began in April 2016.

She is married to her wonderful husband
More about Ella Quinn

The Worthingtons (7 books)
  • Three Weeks to Wed (The Worthingtons, #1)
  • It Started with a Kiss (The Worthingtons, #3)
  • The Marquis and I (The Worthingtons, #4)
  • You Never Forget Your First Earl (The Worthingtons, #5)
  • I'll Always Love You
  • Believe in Me

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Scandalous Liaisons
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Story of O
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Unleashed (Ross Siblings #1)
    $3.99 $0.00
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be