Start by marking “Black Rabbit Hall” as Want to Read:
Black Rabbit Hall

Black Rabbit Hall

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  8,114 ratings  ·  1,393 reviews
Eine Familie. Ein Geheimnis. Ein Sommer, der alles verändert ...

Amber Alton weiß, dass die Stunden auf Black Rabbit Hall, dem Sommersitz ihrer Familie, anders vergehen, ihren eigenen Takt haben. Es ist ruhig und idyllisch. Bis zu einem stürmischen Abend 1968. Vereint durch eine unfassbare Tragödie, müssen sich die vier Alton-Geschwister mehr denn je aufeinander verlassen.
Published February 29th 2016 by Blanvalet Verlag (first published June 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Black Rabbit Hall, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anna Did you even read the book??
Suzanne It was Toby. This chapter is told from Amber's point of view. The clue is "the beep of an old, long forgotten sonar" the bond she shared with her…moreIt was Toby. This chapter is told from Amber's point of view. The clue is "the beep of an old, long forgotten sonar" the bond she shared with her twin.(less)

·  8,114 ratings  ·  1,393 reviews

Start your review of Black Rabbit Hall
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4.5 stars (REALLY close to 5 stars)! I loved this book! It was published in early 2016, yet I hadn't heard of it until very recently - special thanks to my GR friend Frances. The blurb mentions a Kate Morton comparison which is what made me decide to read it (I love Kate Morton!). I am so glad I read it. And isn't this cover gorgeous?!?

There are two storylines which weave and connect throughout the novel. The author, Eve Chase, did a fantastic job of keeping my attention piqued within each
Dianne
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2016
Really, REALLY good, a complete surprise to me. This is the perfect, unputdownable summer book to get completely lost in. Why is no one reading this or talking about it? A little bit gothic drama, a little bit historical fiction, a little bit of romance, a good bit of suspense, with wonderful characters and a fabulous decrepit mansion with a personality of its own. Take this on vacation and thank me later!

Loved it, every little bit of it.
Frances
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
rabbits in woods photo: Rabbits in the Woods P6160097_zps4b2fbd82.jpg

4.5* What is it about the crumbling mansion Black Rabbit Hall people are drawn to? It’s 1968 and the Alton family of five are happy and busy with their lives living in the huge mansion, massive gardens and woods full of gnarly trees and rabbits on their doorstep. Amber at 14 years of age is a twin to Toby who seems to have the world on his shoulder with dark moods and a depressing outlook on life. Amber adores her parents, other younger siblings but yet has a very special bond with Toby. Now,
Julie
Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase is a 2015 publication.

Many people will place a book in the Gothic category, using the term too loosely, in my opinion, but It’s very, very rare to find a story that delivers an authentic Gothic mystery. However, ‘Black Rabbit Hall’ delivers exactly that, and with relish on top!!

I’m thrilled and amazed by this book, which tells the story of four children living an ideal life in 1968, until tragedy strikes. From there, their lives quickly dissolve into madness,
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
I fell in love with the crumbling Black Rabbit Hall with all it’s dark and tangled secrets and the connections it hid. With almost every house haunted with secrets it comes with the haunting presence of a malicious character that adds to the mystery it holds.

Through alternating chapters we meet the Alton family and the story is told by the oldest daughter Amber in the past and Lorna in the present, whose curiosity turns to obsession and finds herself desperate to uncover the hidden secrets and
Diane S ☔
3.5 Black Rabbit Hall has been in their family for generations. It is the place their family escapes to from London. The place where the four children are allowed to run wild, play and the place where their mother and father seem happiest. Until a tragic accident changes things forever.

Two storylines., the past getting to know the children, experience the changes in their family after the tragedy. The future, thirty years later when a young bride is looking for a place to have her wedding.
Beverly
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
Melisa
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've discovered that life doesn't always turn on the obvious things - people dying, marriages, all the stuff that gets carved on the tombstones - but little unrecorded things too.

Black Rabbit Hall is a slow, atmospheric novel of family secrets told with beautiful prose and imagery. It is a dual time story set on an old English manor, beautifully done.

There is one big twist in the story which you could see coming from a mile away, but I don't think it takes anything away from the reader.

A great
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Lorna has set her sight on to get married at Pencraw Hall, more known as Black Rabbit Hall among the locals. But, the more she spends at the place the more she feels that the place has a special meaning to her. She tries to find out more about the history of the Alton family that owns the mansion, what really happened 30 years ago when the once happy family was torn apart.

I love books with parallel storylines, especially those that involve grand houses, a mystery that has to be solved and
Malia
I don't know why it took me so long to pick this book up, but I'm glad I finally did. It's a clever, engaging story about a family, a house and the secrets it holds. The writing is wonderfully evocative and the characters well-developed and intriguing. The multiple POVs and jump back and forth in time are done so well, and add great intricacy and depth to the story. I am already looking forward to reading Eve Chase's new book, The Wildling Sisters. Recommended!

Find more reviews and bookish fun
Margitte
FROM THE BLURB
For fans of Kate Morton and Sarah Waters, here's a magnetic debut novel of wrenching family secrets, forbidden love, and heartbreaking loss housed within the grand gothic manor of Black Rabbit Hall.

This is a magnificent read. My word, what a brilliant book! Gothic and grizzly, sad sad sad, and then ....I'm not telling.

One of the best reads this year!
Liz Barnsley
Book of the year for me so far. I am a sobbing emotional heap on the floor. Loved it. Loved the characters, the setting, the writing, everything.

I have a few questions in with the author and will write up a full review along with the answers to those questions as a feature on the blog soon.

Highly Recommended.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
What secrets does Black Rabbit Hall hold, and will Lorna find out what the secrets of the Alton family are as she explores the Alton's summer home?

Lorna is looking for a place for her wedding and is pulled toward Black Rabbit Hall. She has a feeling that it is somehow connected to her past.

Tragedies were plentiful at Black Rabbit Hall when the Altons lived there. Lauren's fiancé isn't comfortable about having their wedding there, but Lorna insists that there is some connection to her and her
Sheila
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had two problems with this book: 1. The writer's weird use of strange metaphors (which, thankfully, she used less and less as the book went on. And 2. I disliked Lorna, the "modern story" narrator. She seemed overdramatic to me, and some of her decisions illogical. Her story wasn't very interesting to me.

That said, I still really liked this book. It's one of those dual timeline novels, and I was absolutely engrossed in the "past" storyline. The setting is a huge, decaying house in Cornwall
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
This is a mystery that unfolds in two timeframes. In the late 1960s, Amber and her family spend idyllic holidays at the family estate in Cornwall, nicknamed Black Rabbit Hall. However tragedy and change are just around the corner. Over 30 years later, Lorna and her fiance Jon visit Black Rabbit Hall in search of a location for their upcoming wedding. Instead of Amber's family, the house is home to only an eccentric grand old lady. However Lorna will stumble on clues that point to dark events in ...more
Fictionophile

This is the title I was most looking forward to in my “Most anticipated titles of 2016” blog post and I was not disappointed! A wonderful saga of family secrets, tragic loss, and enduring love with a dual storyline, it will appeal to fans of Kate Morton, Rosamund Pilcher, Maeve Binchy and Sarah Waters.

“Black Rabbit Hall” is a large, dilapidated country house on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall. It is a place of rest, relaxation and family togetherness.
Blair
Oct 07, 2014 marked it as attempted  ·  review of another edition
This had been in my reading plan since I first heard about it - I mean, all you have to do is put 'crumbling country hall' in the description of a book and I'm chomping at the bit to read it. Unfortunately I found it poorly written from the beginning. A lot of the description made me cringe, and some of the phrases and the ways words were used actually had me laughing out loud - my favourite bit would have to be when we were told Lorna's boyfriend 'smelled of sex and digestive biscuits' (um... ...more
Emily
Nov 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this novel is a hot mess. If you are even considering reading this, you should just go read Brat Farrar instead. The attempted atmosphere in this book is downright silly and doesn't even come close to matching the countryside and characters that Tey can so deftly depict without any effort at all. The plot is convoluted, the two time period conceit is silly, and frankly it's all very boring. There's enough story (well, "story") here for about 100 pages max, but what it really is is a lurid ...more
Erika Robuck
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca, Little Stranger, The Distant Hours...

Gothic, romantic, house-centered fiction laden with family secrets is a favorite of mine. I enjoy nothing more than cozying up with a multi-period mystery, set in an unforgettable estate, peopled with men and women brought together by blood and circumstance.

Black Rabbit Hall is a welcome addition to the genre. I could see the action as if I were watching a film. The prose is elegant, the plot kept me reading late into the night, and though the story
Tammy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2015
All the stars!!! What a fabulous novel! I love gothic historical fiction and this one didn’t disappoint. A crumbling English mansion that has seemingly odd mysterious powers that draws people to it? No sense of physical time inside it’s walls? Sign me up! Within the secrets of it’s halls two women’s lives in different time periods cross bringing (main character) Lorna the answers she’s needed but never received from her adopted mother. Rich and detailed in scenery this story literally pulled me ...more
Mary
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book should have been better. Mention a crumbling old mansion filled with secrets and I'm in. Told in 2 timelines and tied together at the end, it was interesting enough, if a bit urealistic. Our modern day "heroine" Lorna is compelled, drawn to take a complete stranger's offer of a weekend at this mansion under the premise of it becoming her wedding venue. Now, who the Hell does that? Not to mention she stays even after being drugged, watched whilst sleeping (can you say "Creepy"?) because ...more
Theresa
Closer to 4.5 stars.

I know it's been said in reviews so many times but I'll just chime right in..... while reading this book I could definitely feel shades of Kate Morton. There was a very similar tone and reliance on atmosphere to propel the story. Although I do wish there had been a bit more character building. That is always what I find lacking in Morton's writing too. I wish I could find an author that could or would incorporate both into a story.

I will definitely put Eve Chase on my watch
Renita D'Silva
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh what a wonderful book! LOVED this beautifully written, poignant story. Every character so vivid and alive, the secrets brooding like Black Rabbit Hall. Loved it!
SPOILERS/SPOILERS/SPOILERS/SPOILERS!!

21/9 - I really enjoy this kind of story, where the mystery and the connection between the past and present is slowly revealed as the plot goes back and forth. I loved this as much as Kate Morton's books. The mystery was very skilfully revealed. I had originally picked Amber as Lorna's mother, but when it was revealed that Lorna's birth certificate had Peggy's name on it, the book successfully tricked me into believing what I was being told. I had no inkling
Irene
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book!!! It had me in tears by the end of it! Highly recommended!!!
Nomes
A crumbling old gothic house in Cornwall, secrets spanning generations, a dead body count and a few twists = one addictive read. I loved the atmosphere (the lashing storms in Cornwall, the lazy summer days, the estate which was so vivid it was like a character in itself) and the haunting story of the Alton family. They came to life for me, vibrant and lovely and their story is truly devastating.

I flew through this in audio bc I wanted to know the reveals. I liked it a lot but was not so much a
Bookish Ally
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for a story that is part gothic puzzle (complete with old manor house and whispers of bygone Lords and Ladies) and part quasi-romance.

Bursting with the flavor of its characters and rich detail of the Cornwall countryside in which it is set, I slowed way down while reading this, enjoying a vignette from the story long after I had put down the book.

The premise follows two timelines and two women’s stories. Take your time and savor it.

It opens with a piece of poetry by George Eliot
Leah
Black Rabbit Hall is one of those books that's So. Hard. for me to discuss in any coherent manner. Anything I type wants to come out bolded and in all caps with about a million exclamation points. That's exactly what this novel did to me - it completely sucked me in, embraced me in its ivy-covered walls and held on tight. I'm so disappointed and frustrated that quotations from ARCs are frowned upon; not only is the story itself beautiful, but the writing is downright breathtaking. I'm floored ...more
Lata
2.5 stars. Long, long, long and pretty predictable. Evil stepmother, absent father, adolescence, young love, secrets, grief, unsympathetic attitude to therapy, mistakes aplenty, blah, blah, blah.
emmilina
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Mix one part spooky old house, stir in an old family tragedy, add a dash of evil stepmother, and a large helping of impending doom and you get this deliciously suspenseful read. What a debut! Would read this author again!
Forsyth County Pu...: April 2018 - Black Rabbit Hall 2 16 May 03, 2018 11:32AM
Forsyth County Pu...: June 2017 - Black Rabbit Hall 2 24 May 12, 2017 11:59AM
Was it Toby or Barney who showed up in the end? 1 40 Nov 14, 2016 07:20AM
The Challenge Fac...: Erica & Krissy - Black Rabbit Hall 25 30 Sep 15, 2016 04:43PM

• Le Bal des folles
  • La fille qui aimait les animonstres (Sorceline, #2)
  • Quand nos souvenirs viendront danser
  • Jolis Jolis Monstres
  • L'aile des vierges
  • Ciao Bella
  • Le Manoir des Sorcelage (Wicca, #1)
  • Date with Poison (The Dales Detective Series)
  • The Clockmaker's Daughter
  • La Cerise sur le gâteau
  • Les Déracinés
  • Les refuges
  • The Girl in the Photograph
  • Une partie de badminton (Littérature française)
  • Mordet på en havfrue
  • L'odeur de la colle en pot
  • Le jardin de l'oubli
  • Le Manoir d'Alderney
Eve Chase is the pseudonym of a journalist who has worked extensively across the British press.

Eve Chase always wanted to write about families - ones that go wrong but somehow survive - and big old houses, where family secrets and untold stories seed in the crumbling stone walls.

Black Rabbit Hall is such a story.

She lives in Oxford, England with her husband and three children.
“I think adults must get sort of worn away over time, like rocks out at sea, but remain who they are, just slower and grayer with those funny vertical wrinkles in front of their ears. But the young are a different shape from one week to the next. To know us is to run alongside us, like someone trying to shout through the window of a moving train.” 13 likes
“If you live in the past, you're only living half a life” 6 likes