Start by marking “The Magic Misfits (Magic Misfits, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magic Misfits (Magic Misfits, #1)

The Magic Misfits

(Magic Misfits #1)

From beloved award-winning actor, Neil Patrick Harris, comes the magical first book in a new series with plenty of tricks up its sleeve.

When street magician Carter runs away, he never expects to find friends and magic in a sleepy New England town. But like any good trick, things change instantly as greedy B.B. Bosso and his crew of crooked carnies arrive to steal anything
Published November 21st 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Misfits, please sign up.
David Lurie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lola
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Well this was cute.

It’s about Carter, a little boy whose parents disappeared a while ago, leaving him with an arrogant and egocentric uncle who uses him to steal from people.

Carter himself does not steal, because he believes in earning honest money even at his young age, but he is by association stealing nonetheless. At the same time, his uncle forces him to do his magic tricks that beguile people while he himself pickpockets the spectators.

Until one day Carter has had enough and decid
Cesar
Oct 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Six magical misfits going on an adventure.

So Six of Crows but in a middle-grade book.
Which is also by Neil Patrick Harris.
Badass kids kicking butt like the Dregs.

description
✨    jamieson   ✨
“For years I looked for you. I never gave up, but I never imagined that fate would bring you to Mineral Wells."
"Not fate," Leila said. "Magic."
Magic, fate, or coincidence. Carter wasn't sure which was which anymore.”

well this was entirely cute. the magic misfits is an absolute delight I admit I read this because I wanted to see what Neil Patrick Harris' novel would be like, and because it was giving me middle grade six of crows vibes, which really is ideal.

The Magic Misfits follows Carter, a
Calista
This is a great first book by Neil Patrick Harris. It is well written with an exciting story. We know he loves magic and he brings us a gang of kids who are geeky about magic and good at it too. They go up against an evil adult and they have to outwit him, which they do figure out a way to do so that was very well done.

Neil has a flare for flare. He makes it very much in the show business world and his love of magic shines through. Throughout the book, he gives tips on how to pull off some cool
Hope (HopelessBookAddict)
This book was cute and I loved Neil’s narration. However, I felt as though it was predictable and too similar to other middle grade books I have read. I am sad I didn’t like this more. I doubt I will continue with the series.
Lucy Rojas
Jun 09, 2017 marked it as tbr-next  ·  review of another edition
Ladies and gentlemen, the very first middle grade-children Six of Crows retelling ever!
Jenny Baker
I almost gave this 2 stars, but since I love Neil Patrick Harris, I’m bumping it up to 3 stars.

I was so excited when I heard he was releasing his debut MG fiction novel and couldn’t wait to read it. I love the cover!

This is a children’s book with less than 250 pages, but it took me about a week to get through it. A book at this level and length normally only takes me one evening. I kept putting this down because it didn’t always keep my interest. I just didn’t feel like I was reading a new, cap
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)

Fantastic! This is the kind of middle-grade adventure that parents are going to want to run out and grab for their family and read it over and over again.

I'm starting to be convinced that Neil Patrick Harris must come from a planet far superior to ours because this man does it all and does it well. While here I am, thinking not burning my toast in the morning is a pretty awes
Mike (the Paladin)
You'll note no rating and no other shelves on this one. That's because I have decided not to rate it...

Look I picked this book up on the strength of the enthusiasm that surrounded it and the announcement of it's eminent publication and arrival.

A NEW BOOK BY NEIL PATRICK HARRIS!!!!! WHOOPEE!!!! THE WORLD WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!!

Hummm...well maybe for, you know, real young kids. This is a very young book. I'd say parents read it to be sure it's for your kids and maybe read (or listen to the aud
Temi Panayotova
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Магичните мистерии на Нийл Патрик Харис
Здравейте, четящи!

Обичам уикенда поради много причини. Но най-вече, защото имам повече време, за да наваксам с четенето. Най-сетне стигнах и до „Магични мистерии“ на Нийл Патрик Харис! Не мога да ви опиша с какъв трепет очаквах излизането на книгата при нас. В мига, в който издателство Софтпрес обявиха малко преди летния панаир на книгата, че ще бъде издадена – буквално подкачах от кеф. От тогава чакам търпеливо да ст
Giselle Bradley
DNFing about 20% in. This book is written just like a Series of Unfortunate Events. If I want to read that series then I'll just read it. (it is one of my favorites) I really like Neil a lot but it feels like when he was being Count Olaf he read ASOUE and decided to write a book in the same style but if just didn't work well. I just wasn't hooked at all. Oh well!
✦ Maica ✦
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
The magic of true friends is that even apart, they can't long be cut off from what lives in the heart.

Actual Rating: 3.25 stars

I love Neil Patrick Harris which is why when I first heard that he had a book coming out, I immediately marked it in my 'to be read' pile. Reading this book and connecting it with his real life was very delightful.

I don't do magic - except in the kitchen.

I mean come on, the Other Mr. Vernon is basically his husband, David! Knowing that one day he will read this
Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨
Holy hell! I sense Six of Crows vibes, AND TOLD BY NEIL PATRICK HARRIS?!?!

This is something I didn’t know I needed until now. I don’t think I can wait a month...
Kathryn
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, humor
I thoroughly enjoyed this little charmer. It's fun and heartfelt and, yes, full of magic. Carter is a sympathetic hero and the supporting characters are, for the most part, well-drawn. The setting also appealed to me--it could almost take place in the early 1900s, for we have little to no mention of any modern technology and the carnival feel with the side shows and all seems fairly timeless, too. Yet, it's also very much reflective of the 21st Century in that diversity is present and quietly ce ...more
❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️
So, of course when I saw that Neil Patrick Harris wrote a book, I had to get my hands all over it. It's actually pretty good, with a lot of ties to Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. They must have worked together on this book, because Snicket's review is the only one on the back cover.

This is a middle-grade book about a boy named Carter. The book starts out with Uncle Sly, who is constantly trying to force Carter into being his accomplice, stealing from people using their magic tr
Becky Ginther
I am generally a fan of Neil Patrick Harris. But I was unfortunately not really impressed with his foray into the world of children's literature. There are so many great middle grade novels that are so well written they are appealing to adults as well. This is not one of them. It may very well be popular with children, whom it is obviously aimed towards. It's a decent book and a cute little story, but didn't stand out as anything special to me.

A lot of the plot ended up feeling cliche or overdon
BookHugger
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2017
The Magic Misfits is a middle-grade novel coming out November 21st that I was lucky enough to get an ARC of at Yallwest! When I picked it up, I certainly wasn't expecting to recognize the name of the author--the famous Neil Patrick Harris. Usually, I'm hesitant when celebrities write novels because a part of me believes their fame assists them in the publishing process, but I also remember that I love Chris Colfer's books, so I shouldn't be this judgmental.

In all honesty, this was rather cliché
Rita Mariani
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
[3.5 Stars]
"It will be hard at times, but if you work together and stay true to one another, nothing will bar you. Alone you are weak. Together you are strong. So say the Gatekeepers of Destiny."
Cassie Stever
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as dnf
i tried reading this for an owlcrate read-a-thon, but unfortunately started this at a bad time in my personal life and put it down. since then, i’ve no inclination to pick it back up again. this is definitely a “me thing” and not the book itself! i did enjoy what i had read, but again, i have too many other things that i want to read way more than finishing this.
Stacy Fetters
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Each of you has a long road ahead. It will be hard at times, but if you work together and stay true to one another, nothing will bar you. Alone you are weak. Together you are strong. So says the universe."

I'm so disappointed in myself that I talked myself out of meeting Neil Patrick Harris at Bea this year. He was signing copies of this and I didn't want to wait. Now I'm kicking myself because this book was so good and magical. Everything about this grabbed my attention and didn't let up. 🙃🙃

C
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
As you can obviously guess by the title, this book is about a group of young misfits who are also magicians... I am definitely down for that.

This book has such a diverse cast and even though it was quite short I got a good idea of each character and how they are different but come together for the shenanigans.

The age range for this book is definitely the younger side of middle grade but I found it whimsical and full of funny moments.

I am still a little iffy about the writing style and I'm hopin
Eileen
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich hätte nicht gedacht, dass ich nochmal so gefangen werde von einem Kinderbuch. Aber "Die magischen 6" von Neil Patrick Harris hat es geschafft. Ich habe dieses Buch wirklich gerne gelesen!
Schon das Cover fällt ins Auge und wirkt "sehr kindisch", allerdings gefällt mir das Cover sehr gut! Als Kind wäre dies wohl eins meiner absoluten Lieblingsbücher.
Der Schreibstil des Buches ist sehr emotional: Man lacht mit den Charakteren, man trauert mit ihnen und fiebert mit ihnen mit. Man fliegt regelrec
Amairo
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Много интересна и сладка книжка се оказа. Чете се бързо и лесно, само да седне човек да чете. И има трикове и разни други неща. Илюстрациите и оформлението пък я правят още по-интересна. Много съм доволна. Хареса ми!
Sara
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was darling. If you're gifting it make sure to include a pencil for the ciphers in addition to a coin and a deck of cards for all the insets with illustrated guides on magic tricks. I've always heard 'write what you know' and so I appreciated the author insert vibe this book had (it narrates like A Series of Unfortunate Events as well) like how one of the Magic Misfit characters has two dads, one of whom happens to be a famous chef. And did you know that NPH was the president of the Ac ...more
Neelam
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story and the message it told but didn’t love it. Maybe if i was younger i would have enjoyed it more?
I really liked the interactive aspect. Makes the book fun for kids!
Terry
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book, and I am excited to read the other books in the series. The author does a nice job of creating characters that are believable and that the reader cares about. The ending of the book drags out a bit, and, at times, Harris, who narrates the audio book, struggles to maintain his accents for the various characters. That can be a bit distracting. Overall, it is a nice story about a boy who is working to find a place to belong, and, ultimately, isn't that what we are all d ...more
Kristie
Přiznám se, že kdyby autorem nebyl Neil Patrick Harris, asi bych se k téhle knize ani nedostala. A hádám, že tak to bude mít spousta lidí. Zkrátka jsem byla zvědavá, jak si Harris, kterého znám hlavně jako herce (a mám ho jako herce ráda), s knihou pro děti poradil.

A jo, nebylo to špatné. V knize má velkou roli sám vypravěč, často ke čtenáři promlouvá a narušuje příběh. To mi rozhodně nevadilo, bylo to totiž vždy úsměvné a navíc je v tom ten Harris fakt jasně slyšet. Jestli ho znáte, nebudete mí
alis
wow, it felt like years since i started reading this book and got bored because i dont really like the storytelling, i think it's works better for kids, even tho i love middle grade books, this was different. nothing really exciting me as an adult, but i would love to read it for my kid in the future, so much love, diversity and tricks if you want to be a magician.
Nauka N.
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
most of people read this book because of the childrens-six-of-crows vibes that is carried by this. honestly, I read this book since it written by Neil Patrick Harris (and his magical tricks lmao) and the interesting blurbs. I'm not really into this but still, it was fun and entertaining and full of diversity. I'm pretty sure I'll read the next one!
Shae McDaniel
Very cute! One of those books that made me aware that I was not the target audience, but that's okay, and I think the Shae-who-used-to-be-the-target-audience would have enjoyed it. Gave me a bit of a Pseudonymous Bosch feel.
Goodreads Librari...: Book without cover 2 23 Jan 09, 2018 01:07AM
  • At the Bottom of the World (Jack and the Geniuses, #1)
  • A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
  • The Purloining of Prince Oleomargarine
  • The Wonderling
  • The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (100 Dresses, #2)
  • Smek for President! (Smek, #2)
  • Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Care and Feeding of a Pet Black Hole
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)
  • The Real McCoys
  • Shadow Weaver (Shadow Weaver, #1)
  • Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic, Mystery,  a Very Strange Adventure
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • The Eternity Elixir (Potion Masters, #1)
  • The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
  • Winterhouse (Winterhouse, #1)
Neil Patrick Harris is an American actor, producer, director, magician, comedian and singer. He is best known for playing Barney Stinson in the television comedy series How I Met Your Mother (2005–2014), for which he was nominated for four Emmy Awards. As a child star he played the title character in Doogie Howser, M.D. (1989–1993). He is also known for his role as the title character in Joss Whed ...more

Magic Misfits (3 books)
  • The Second Story (Magic Misfits, #2)
  • The Magic Misfits: The Third String
“For me, magic can be a story, a game, a puzzle, or a surprise that takes my breath away in a single, furious gulp.” 5 likes
“For others, magic is a crisp autumn’s day or a tender hug from a loved one.” 4 likes