Start by marking “Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy” as Want to Read:

Published June 6th 2017 by Simon & Schuster/Aladdin

Start your review of Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy
Alexandra Ott
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! It's laugh-out-loud funny, with lots of fast-paced action and adventure. There are space pirates, robots, and aliens! Holly Farb is such an endearing protagonist, and the whole cast is endlessly entertaining. Highly recommend for fans of humorous middle grade adventures.
Malena
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*ebook given through Netgalley which doesn't affect my opinion*

I loved it! It's funny,interesting (even though I'm far from target audience) and it's fast pacing! I loved the characters,the writing,the humour - everything! This is perfect for those who love funny middle grade books who are also in love with fantasy. A must read for children and all of you who still feel young :)
Darcy Miller
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book SO MUCH. Seriously. SO MUCH. Space pirates! Insufferable robots! Exploding aliens! Clever disguises! Friendship! Bounty hunters! Clapthorian Sponge Beasts! In summary, read this book: it's the most fun you'll have all summer.
Amanda Searcy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun! It’s like a middle grade version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy meets Doctor Who. This would be a great family read-aloud. There’s something in it for everyone.
Anna Priemaza
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Holly Farb has a very important test on Friday, so it's terribly inconvenient when space pirates appear out of nowhere and kidnap her, another kid, and her teacher. If she doesn't figure out how to get home, she might be killed--or worse, miss her test!

I became especially excited to read HOLLY FARB AND THE PRINCESS OF THE GALAXY when I heard it compared to HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, and it did not disappoint. This space adventure is full of exactly the type of ridiculous but intelligent h
Tonja Drecker
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tests and school blast far, far away in this exciting adventure, where flubby pirate aliens, nut nibbling presidents and robots with a more than mighty vengeance come up against the most uninteresting creature in the entire universe--a human girl named Holly Farb.

Holly's life centers around one goal; being the best at school so as to gain acceptance into the highly exclusive Falstaff Academy. When a new boy enters her class, who seems to know the answer to all questions, it's almost more than Ho
Jaclyn
This was a cute space adventure featuring seventh grader, Holly Farb. The highlight was the narration by the robot that was interspersed throughout the adventure. However, I personally found that the story relied heavily on humour at the expense of the larger message that was just out of sight. Holly has no friends at home, but on this space adventure she finally gets one. I didn't find that the friendship was really developed to what it could have been. This one had its moments but ultimately d ...more
Beverly
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author lives in Toronto, so I am going to assume that the Earth-bound parts of the story are set there. However, when Holly is mistaken for the Princess of the Galaxy, and kidnapped by a bunch of space pirates, most of the rest of this humorous, action-packed story takes place on spaceships and other planets. This book probably will not win any of Canada's prestigious book awards, but it is a fun, delightful read for those who like science fiction and space opera.
Kassie
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fact: This is a laugh-out-loud book.
Fact: It reminds me of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Fact: The dialogue is witty.
Fact: The brain-washing machine is creepy.
Fact: The ending is a little rushed.
Fact: You should read it anyway.
Kari
Meh, not much of a main character. Silly and kinda forgettable.
Max
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When this came across my desk at the library, I knew I needed to check it out, and it turns out that I was totally right to do so. This book is as Farbulous as its heroine. It's basically like if a Muggle Hermione Granger was dropped into The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Holly is a typical overachieving seventh grader who's stressed because she got absolutely no votes in the school election (she feels voting for herself isn't right) and there's a big entrance exam for the local private acad ...more
Pop Bop
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Fast Paced Girrlll Power Fun

Holly Farb, mistaken for a princess and on the run from space pirates, zips around the universe in this antic space adventure.

The book is an interesting mix of deadpan and frantic. On the frantic side we have a plot that never lets up and keeps Holly constantly on the move. A new weird creature shows up every few pages and the twists and turns just keep coming. But Holly's game and resourceful, so she just keeps rolling with the plot punches.

On the other hand, though,
The Library Lady
Someone described this as a cross between "Dr Who" and "The Hitchhiker's Guide." Have they watched "Dr Who," (except perhaps during the Matt Smith fangirl period) or read/seen "Hitchhiker's"?

Sorry, neither. This is a typical kids_accidentally_have_an_adventure, complete with a teacher who isn't as boring as he seems, various cute/mean aliens, and a nice neat ending. Oh, and it does feature a narrating robot who perhaps is supposed to be reminiscent of the narrating voice of the Hitchhiker's Guid
Diane Magras
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an utterly charming book about growing up, finding yourself, making decisions, and caring about other people. Those are the basic themes, put into a wildly imaginative story peopled with creatures of many different forms, including spider-like librarians, a robot vacuum with world-domination dreams, and a wonderful snarky robot narrator. A fast and funny read.
Sharon Tyler
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy by Gareth Wronski is a middle grade novel. Holly Farb is not the Princess of the Galaxy. She may be top of the class in every subject, but she can’t even win a school election, never mind rule the Milky Way. The aliens who kidnapped her have gotten it all wrong. Unfortunately Holly’s alien pirate kidnappers believe that she’s the princess they’ve been looking for, and so she finds herself hurtling through space on an alien pirate ship together with her t ...more
Ella M
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightfully silly! I've been longing for some lighthearted sci-fi, and this hit the spot!

Holly as a character is very entertaining. I love that she's not classically "likable" (although the balance between whining and being a grump is very thin and I'm not sure the author always pulled that off).

I LOVE the narrator. Can we have the Storytelling Robot (i forget his name) tell ALL THE STORIES, please? His narrative style is so brilliantly blunt. He actually made me laugh out loud-- and I almost
Becky B
Holly Farb is having a stressful week. First, she lost the student elections...really badly. She's now got to really make sure she aces the entrance exam for Falstaff. Falstaff is a prestigious science academy and her next step on the way to a good university and success. And then today in science class some new kid comes in and starts answering all the questions faster than Holly. Shaken from her 'best at science' throne, Holly is now even more worried about the exam and floundering in identity ...more
Diana
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took my five-year-old and I months to read this book, basically because it's somewhat meaty, and we read one chapter at a time, broken up by other, shorter books... and then packed it for the move, misplaced it, and finally when found again, I had to skim to where we had been and then do a refresher night. I'm so glad we did.

This is starter science fiction in the truest sense. A nerdy, bookish overachiever, universally disliked by her peers and pushed hard by her workaholic mother, is kidnapp
Albert
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was definitely really funny with weird and awkward parts to it. The book is mostly about a 12-year-old girl named Holly Farb that everyone hates. You know that person in your class that is so annoying because when you think something in class, and she proves you wrong and she always gets the answer right? Yeah. That's Holly. She looks down on herself because of this, but a few jerks at school are not going to stop her from pursuing her dreams. She wants to go to a school ca ...more
Edshara
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
So this missed the mark for me and I'm so disappointed because I really wanted to enjoy it. Everything about this just kind of fell flat for me.

I didn't connect to any of the characters, they all seemed a bit underdeveloped to me. Holly went back and forth between doubting and believing in herself. The only problem is when she would start to believe in herself, she would get arrogant and instead of listening to others or asking their advice, she would take charge only making things worse. The o
Dylan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy is a wonderful book for young readers. It is a book that is fun and funny, quirky and endearing, and is reminiscent of a more child-friendly Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I was rooting for Holly and her companions throughout the entire novel and was left feeling excited and wanting more by the ending.

OS-78 was hilarious. The occasional exchange was even funnier. Great fun.
Cee
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canlit-pub-2017
Holly Farb is a great student but has one problem, the new boy in class, Chester, is smarter than she is and answers questions without raising his hand! Turns out there is much more to Chester than meets the eye and she discovers this after they are captured by space pirates.
Humourous and fast paced, middle grade readers will enjoy this out of this world adventure. Recommended for all those smart girls who enjoy reading and getting the answers correct!
Alan
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was pleased to have won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

My grandson has been hankering after this book soon after receiving it in the post. I am sure he will love this book when I give it to him later today. I found it an enjoyable read, even though it was more suitable for middle grade. Recommended.
cute science fiction book that kids will enjoy. a heroine who is likable, and learn alot about herself, and making sense of things when it seems like you are too small in the grand scheme of things to make a difference.
Kinsey
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Great action, unique narration, and surprising twists, though the characters and writing seemed to fall flat and did not always keep my attention. I could have done without the boring, leering librarian stereotypes.
Patricia
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy is perfection. Laugh out loud funny, this book filled the Douglas Adams sized hole in my heart. An excellent adventure. A great cast of characters. And super fun space travel. I loved every word and so will every child I know.
Sandeera
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think it was a really cool story about space adventure. But sometimes I didn't like the way the narrator/ robot was sometimes big in description. It was a bit boring. Other than that it was a rally thrilling book to read. I was always wondering what would happen in the end.
B
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
OK quick read- good for 4th grade.
emyrose8
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5- funny, witty, outer spacey. This was a book I could pick up and put down again, but then again I’m not the biggest fan of science fiction. Good ending.

• Falcon Wild
  • Ebb and Flow
  • Elephant Secret
  • The Train of Lost Things
  • Sit
  • Chase (Chase #1)
  • Mucus Mayhem (The Almost Epic Squad)
  • Missing Mike
  • Mine!
  • Fourth Dimension (The Rule of Three, #4)
  • A World Below
  • No Fixed Address
  • The Last (Endling, #1)
  • The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate Chase (The Candymakers, #2)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • The Science of Breakable Things
  • Inkling
  • A Grain of Rice
Gareth Wronski was born and raised in Toronto. After watching Star Wars as a child on his grandparents’ VCR, he decided he wanted to tell science fiction and fantasy stories of his own. He currently resides in an old house by the Avon River in Stratford, Ontario, where he lives in constant terror of roaming swans.

News & Interviews