Start by marking “Paper Girls #1” as Want to Read:
Paper Girls #1

Paper Girls #1

(Paper Girls (Single Issues) #1)

SAGA writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN launches a brand-new ONGOING SERIES with superstar Wonder Woman artist CLIFF CHIANG! In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Stand By Me meets War of the Worlds in this mysterious young adult adventure, starting with a spectacular DOUBLE-SIZED FIRST ISSU ...more
Published October 7th 2015 by Image

To ask other readers questions about Paper Girls #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Girls #1

Start your review of Paper Girls #1
Sam Quixote
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
It’s the day after Halloween in 1988 and Erin sets out on her very early morning paper run in the sleepy little town of Stony Stream, Ohio. But there are a trio of shadowy figures in black robes and a sack prowling the neighbourhood - are they trick or treaters who’ve stayed out far too late or… something else?

Paper Girls is Brian K Vaughan’s second new series this year which describes itself as Stand By Me crossed with War of the Worlds. Based on this double-sized first issue? Naaaahhh. On both
Marla Haasz
Some thoughts I had while reading the first issue of Paper Girls:
1. This is very 'Dr. Manhattan on Mars'.
2. Why are these boys out at 4:40am dressed in what could be mistaken as quirky burglar costumes.
3. Boys are big jerky jerks.
4. Young girls hollering back with words I wouldn't normally be comfortable with, I dig it.
5. How many cigarettes does this girl wanna light up in under 5 minutes?
6. I see where the Stand By Me inspiration comes in.
7. All of these bomber jackets got me feeling all nosta
David Schaafsma
1988, paper girls version (that's delivering papers kinda paper girls, not ones made outta paper!) of Stand by Me meets War of the Worlds. So anyone could have done this, but BRIAN VAUGHN is doing the characterization and dialogue and Cliff Chiang is doing the artwork, so it's a step up from your average fare. B=Vaughn has two other series I have not read so that may change my view of how good this is, but so far I like it, it's entertaining. Mainly because Vaughn. But too early tell, maybe, but ...more
Eilonwy
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it

I picked this up on a whim because I used to be a paper girl (except we always said "paper carrier"), in the Cleveland area, no less! So how could I resist? This double issue was a terrific opener for a comic series. I hope the next issue is this good. (Taps fingers waiting for November 4.)
Michelle F
I have nothing but questions after reading this super short first volume, but they are the “ermagerd I need to know what is going on!” type of questions. I’m so very intrigued. It’s available to read here
but if you’re anything like me, you’ll want to go spend a bunch of money on the rest of the series immediately after. I resisted, for what it’s worth, but it’ll happen someday, I’m sure!

Fair warning, this is set in the eighties, and not all of the the ‘n
Patricija - aparecium_libri
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the color palate and the girls. It remained me of Stranger Things
Jeannette Nikolova
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
[Image Comics] FIRST ISSUES: The Good (Full review on the WondrousBooks blog.)

I can’t exactly pinpoint the charm of Paper Girls but it’s undeniable that I liked it a lot. Sure, the drawings are nice, the story is shaping up pretty well, the humor is enjoyable. But all of those, or at least most of them, apply to many of the comic books on this list which I still rated lower. So why I felt like 4 stars was the appropriate rating? Beats me.

However, I do think I’m slowly but steadily becoming a
Cathy
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Saga flashback on page 4!

F1-AF4-BDA-DF81-4-F38-9892-409-D0044589-E

Confusing start. Love the artwork. I am pretty sure I flipped through the beginning of this comic before and didn‘t like it much at the time. But I can’t find any record of it. Time has passed, I have read a lot more comics and I like this!

Had to double-check: this is set on November 1, 1988. I can‘t tell you without spoiler tags, why I confirmed that date. So I am not telling you. Instead I will now read the collected Volume 1, which I managed to get for free in Ger
Kaitlin
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first issue in a new series by Brian K Vaughn and of course I had to pick it up because I already love Vaughn's other stuff. This was also extra special as it's a double-length first issue and so you can really sink yourself into the storyline. We are following a young 12 year old, called Erin as she is delivering her papers in the early morning in her town. She's a pretty normal character and the premise of the story is fairly 'mundane' when you describe it, but the storyline is exc ...more
Kelly
Love, love, love, love, love. I'm ready for issue #2 right now.

A fun, feminist scifi adventure set on Halloween night in the 80s when a rag tag team of female paper delivery girls stumble upon a machine created in honor of WAR OF THE WORLDS 50th anniversary.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
BADASS GIRLS YASSSS
Praiz
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I used to be a paper girl too, just never happened to bump into awesome crazy shit like this. I'd read Vaughan's grocery list, and this issue was a brief but great start to what could be a promising series.
Christine
I have to say that the cover looks whitewashed, though this could be due to the background.

However, this is an awesome comic. Four tough as nail pre-teen girls take on aliens. I'm in.
Silvana
Too short for me to rate it four, I am intrigued though.

Can be read here for free: https://imagecomics.com/read/paper-girls
fer
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The illustrations and colors are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.
The end got me pumped up
Andrew
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. For a first issue, this was fantastic. I'm a huge Marvel fan, but honestly, the more Image comics I read, the more I love them.

This, Copperhead, and Hack/Slash are all great, in my opinion, and damn, I can't wait for number 2.

"Hey, whichever dumb fucks just robbed our friend, if you can hear this, get ready... We're coming to get our shit back."

woop woop
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I'm desperately needing some comics so I peruse a comic bookstore - whaddya know, Vaughan is back with a new series! It looks FANTASTIC - the characters are diverse and interesting, and the story is intriguing.

I talked briefly with the comic book guy about Y The Last Man; still cannot believe that Vaughan wrote that one after the winners he's done. Weird.
Helena
3.5. The art is not my favourite but I like the colours, the characters seem to have strong personalities (especially Mac) and the ending left me intrigued, so onto the next one!
Amanda
So far, so awesome! Like a girl-gang version of the Goonies, with enough mysterious non-cliche aspects to keep it unpredictable. Aliens? Mutants? Time-travelling alien mutants? I'm confused in the best possible way.
Duskangelreads
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not enough of it to give me much of an idea as yet. But I'm interested in continuing.
Marco Esteves
OH MY GODDDDDDDD
Jerry Jose
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a high material, as in something better experienced intoxicated. Lazy psychedelic artwork with bright colours and panels, rebel newspaper girls in bikes, walkie talkies, bullies and aliens. Might make an awesome post Stranger Things reading material, now that i think of it.

Artwork is good,but there is something weird about the way it has been detailed and inked. Though a little lousy in first look, it grew on me as story progressed, leading to a last panel that made me go wtf.
JB
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this! What a great first issue. It's a very thick first issue with a $2.99 cover price. Awesome art by Cliff Chang, greatly written by Brian K. Vaughan, beautiful colors by Matt Wilson.

The characters are written very well, great dialogue. The art and especially the art are my favorite part of this issue. The story is very mysterious and sci-fi. Can't wait to find out where this is going!
The Sapphic Nerd
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I was expecting from Paper Girls but it certainly wasn't this! I am in no way complaining though. This first issue is awesome in both the art and writing departments! It's weird, cool, creepy, mysterious, and badass, with likely more references to stuff than I can understand. It'll hold your attention and get you invested in no time. Brilliant, brilliant work.
Dean Eizenberg
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Issue 1 is so much fun, it reminds me of the Stranger Things TV show or something out of Amazing Stories, with a group of kids stumbling into a supernatural or science fiction mystery. The characters are likable and funny and it ends on a cliffhanger with plenty of potential so i'm busting to find out where it goes from here.
James
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Intrigued to see where this story is going! Looking forward to picking up more issues in the series . . . .
❧ Cristina ☙
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit all over the place but I still kind of liked it.
Mariel
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5.

Qué final. QUÉ FINAL.
Joe Jacobs
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Goonies! Stand By Me! The nineteen fucking eighties! Seriously, citizens, you have to give this #1 a go. Great set up, beautiful art and colors, and a super kick ass group of girls. Totally a throwback for me. Nothing shticky about it, but a great sense of what suburban life was like in the late eighties. Wonderful twist at the end to keep you wanting more. CAN YOU DIG IT!? I know I can. Read it, now.
Elia (goldenlyre)
I really love the colors they use but so far the story is eh. I'm gonna keep reading a few more issues so hopefully it gets better.
UPDATED: I literally could not stop reading Paper Girls until I read the last available issue. This is one of those I Can't Put It Down™ stories. However, my opinion on the first issue still stands; it was waaay too slow and unimpressive for me to rate it 4 stars. But just keep reading it because Paper Girls goes from a 2/10 to 1028498438/10 real quick.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Wicked + The Divine #1
  • Monstress #1
  • Blackbird #1 (Blackbird, #1)
  • Snotgirl #1
  • Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet
  • The Old Guard #1
  • Deadly Class #1
  • Kill or be Killed #1
  • Heavy Vinyl #2
  • Bitch Planet #1
  • CREMA (comiXology Originals)
  • Black Magick #1
  • Heavy Vinyl #4
  • Die #1
  • X-Men (2019-) #1
  • Heavy Vinyl #1
  • Heavy Vinyl #3
  • Gideon Falls #1
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Paper Girls (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Paper Girls #2