Start by marking “The Gentle Traditionalist: A Catholic Fairy-tale from Ireland” as Want to Read:
The Gentle Traditionalist: A Catholic Fairy-tale from Ireland

The Gentle Traditionalist: A Catholic Fairy-tale from Ireland

Geoffrey has a problem. All his life he's lived according to "sensible" sceptical, secular values. Then, his true love left him for a New Age community in Scotland. But it gets worse: now she wants to be a traditional Catholic nun! Geoffrey is bewildered, angry, lost. Until, one Valentine's Day in Ireland, he meets a mysterious guide--the Gentle Traditionalist. Together th ...more
Published November 23rd 2015 by Angelico Press (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Gentle Traditionalist, please sign up.
Jovan Weismiller I think it would depend on the level of maturity of the child. It does discuss sexual ethics and abortion, among other topics.

Start your review of The Gentle Traditionalist: A Catholic Fairy-tale from Ireland
Crysta
Jan 03, 2017 added it
My father just recently finished reading this book and described it at once as a romance and an apologetics book. And a good one. Cue the curiosity.

GPL (Gentle Perplexed Liberal) has a love interest who has swung from New Age beliefs all the way to trad Catholic. Struggling to understand these beliefs (and his love's sudden decision to become a nun of all things), he decides to humor a sign that reads "The Gentle Traditionalist – Clarifications Provided, Questions Answered, Arguments Asserted –
Joe Morovich
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fairy tale that comes off as true and not pedantic

This book, in the guise of a bit of a fairy tale or fantasy, uses the medium to argue for the stability of the old Catholic tradition vs the new consortium of globalist capitalism. I must admit, despite the militant theology, the book presents itself as the title state: it is a "Gentle Traditionalist." Overall the book reminds me more of Chesterton than the author's stated following of Hillaire Belloc. In short more charm than fire.

Christians o
Sylvia Walker
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirtuality
Clearly and beautifully explains the geographical and cultural forces that ruptured our world into the no-longer-Sacramental and the still-Sacramental, the English-speaking world and the rest of the world, and mourns the deep losses that occur when the spiritual is banished for the material. The focus is Ireland, not America, per se, for a new look at a not very old problem. Humorous at times, with a touch of whimsy, but conveys a deep sadness and sense of loss.
Michael Fitzgerald
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: another
A phenomenal tale that is both humorous and deadly serious. It is fictional yet parallels the author's real life.
Katie Fitzgerald
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#CathLit2019 challenge - A book about apologetics

This fascinating novel about a young man's struggle to understand his girlfriend's conversion to Catholicism is a must-read for any Catholic who is concerned about the future of the Church in an increasingly secular society. Though the problems Buck explores here belong to Ireland, many of them are reflected in American culture as well, and the fact that Buck is able to explain each one so clearly and with respectful consideration of all counter-a
Robb
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For those who are looking for a concise, congenial, credible, and convincing rational argument for why secularism and materialism are failing modernity. This book is a full 5 stars.

It presents a short, interesting Socratic dialogue between a traditionalist and a secularist. The secular character in this book is actually an open minded thinker.

Not wanting to see the error in their "rational materialism", most of today's rabid secularists would never be open minded enough to pick up a book like
Kim Buck
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased! He's my husband ... but I still think this book is truly wonderful - apologetics wrapped up as a novel. Both light and serious at the same time, easy to read, often hilarious and deeply challenging secular assumptions, wherever they exist, whether modern Ireland or anywhere else in the West. First chapter is online here ...

sunnikp
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The atheist' s religion

The book gives very interesting reading. As a Catholic from India , it was quite informative for me. Many of the extracts from the history of church were new to me. At the same the book retains its romantic fictional format, keeping it interesting. The role played by Ireland in the scheme of things comes through beautifully. The concerns of the author about the young generation are shared by many Catholic parents. The idea that everybody has a religion, even an atheist, is
V Forr
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an extra-ordinary, most unusual book. Words fail to express what a tremendous read this novel is. It is short, pithy, and packed with content. Part history lesson, part mini Catechism, part love story, this novel explores more than any review can summarize succinctly. Read it. If I could, I would have an endless supply of this novel on hand at all times to share with people I encounter. Thank, Mr. Roger Buck, for truly profound little book. Happy reading!
MrsRead1
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
it runs long, and the author rather loses himself in the weeds toward the end, but the main part of the book is worthwhile.

I would recommend reading this yourself before giving to someone else, to make sure you are on same page with all opinions expressed (e.g., I found his comments on Baptism were unfortunately incomplete)
Jovan Weismiller
READ THIS BOOK!!

This book is by an 'online friend' of mine. I've had it on my Kindle for months, but I just started it last night and finished it this evening. I laughed uproariously and I shed tears whilst reading it. I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone who is concerned about the state of the modern world.

Ed Farinholt
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! Restores your hope for a restored Christendom.

Ingenious use of historical fact in the face of modernity and its hopes of fanciful and fleeting, secular "treasures." Highly recommended.
Roy
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this short parable.

While I am a Protestant, I enjoyed the story immensely. The tale spends a great deal of time on dialogue, but it is what makes the story interesting. I recommend the story as I found it fun to read.
Christopher Covey
Great book

Answered most of my questions about pre Vatican II Catholicism. I recommend it to anyone else that might be curious about Catholicism, its inner meaning.
Kathleen Kirchner
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So quaint and thought provoking
Bryanna
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good!

This boom is a great and enjoyable discussion and overview of the Catholic faith and objections. Thank you for writing this.
Eleanor Poirier
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I decided to purchase this book in 2016 after catching wind of it within the traditional Catholic blogosphere. I thought it would make an interesting Christmas present for my (at-the-time) fiancé, because the synopsis indicated there were some interesting parallels between Roger and his wife's conversion story and our own. Much like his wife discovered the spiritual riches of her Irish ancestors before converting, my husband and I had our eyes opened to our mutual Acadian heritage, which is inex ...more
Dave Wilson
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful

I'd recommend this great, brief book to anyone who'd like to know the Church better, whether they are Catholic, or just curious. Mr. Buck has done a wonderful job here. I read most of this just this afternoon. Enjoyed by candlelight in part, I'll be re-reading in the near future. I look forward to more from this author, as I understand another is coming soon. Thank you, sir.
Stephen
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Actually would give it 4.5 stars....loved everything but the authors unbridled criticism of capitalism...I am 100 % opposed to crony capitalism but capitalism itself has improved millions of millions of lives. Crony capitalism under secular law makers is the pits and that is what we have arrived at theses days. I would not throw out the baby with the soiled water...just change the water (the corrupt rulers). Other than that this book is a gem.
Robert Leblanc
rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2018
Robert Terry
Dec 05, 2015
Augustinian
Jan 29, 2020

• In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative?
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • The Wedding Feast of the Lamb: Eros, the Body, and the Eucharist
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • The Passion of the Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas that Have Shaped Our World View
  • Out of Our Minds: What We Think and How We Came to Think It
  • The Highest Poverty: Monastic Rules and Form-of-Life
  • The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever
  • Consecration to St. Joseph: The Wonders of Our Spiritual Father
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Metamorphosis of Finitude: An Essay on Birth and Resurrection
  • The Guide to Gethsemane: Anxiety, Suffering, Death
  • The Betrothed
  • Evidence of the Affair
Born in America, Roger Buck is a Catholic convert who once lived at Findhorn, Scotland - probably the most renowned New Age community in the world. He is passionate about Ireland, where he now lives with his beloved wife.

He is the author of Cor Jesu Sacratissimum (forthcoming from Angelico Press) and a traditional Catholic website of the same name.

THE GENTLE TRADITIONALIST is his first book and th