Start by marking “Pink Slip Prophet” as Want to Read:
Pink Slip Prophet

Pink Slip Prophet

No jobs. Robots took them. Citizens subsist on a basic income guarantee. They consume their lives in drug-fueled virtual reality gaming binges.

Ian Blake doesn't play games and he won't accept handouts. He needs to be productive and useful - but his creepy boss just fired the baby-saving hero and father of three.

Ian yearns to build his own robots now. But with a job offer
Published November 23rd 2015 by Cheverer

Michelle
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely well written and very entertaining. Great story line! Definitely want to read the follow up!
Ami
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome writing, characters and world. I loved it and finished it in one morning so go ahead and get it and start reading now.
Kort Ploshay
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is a wild ride, and you need to buckle your seatbelt as you dig into the twists and turns, the makings and unmakings, the heady highs and soul-crushing lows of Ian's evolution from the cyberpunk status-quo. You'll find it hard to put down, and running through your thoughts after you finish (?) it.
James Frederick
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very hard book to rate...and at times, a hard book to read. I tried so very hard to root for the main character, because he always seemed to want to do the right thing. And every time anything ever went right for him, something almost immediately happened to bring him crashing back down again. Part of that is because he seemed to allow people to walk all over him.

And that is part of the problem. You want to root for the underdog, but when they don't seem to care about themselves, it i
Kitty Antonik
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ian Blake does appear to be a schlep, a jerk who's let himself be taken advantage of repeatedly & for whom "shit (repeatedly) happens". But he's driven by determination to be the father his young son Jack is confident is there below the surface that has been beaten down many times.

Heroes in real life are often not that from the beginning or only intermittently, having "bad days" or even weeks and months where all seems lost. It's picking one's self up & trying again, maybe with something
Timothy Baker
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well written. Mr. Donnelly nails the human aspect. The first 4 chapters were so intense that I actually had to put the book away for a few days - which is extremely rare for me. You find an empathy for the protagonist (Ian) that just draws you in. The story reads a lot like Kurt Vonnegut, though not quite so satirical. It does however bring a believable future if we continue the path of technology we're on. Not necessarily a read for everyone, but I enjoyed it. BTW, my version is titled "Do ...more
Sharon
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Hard to follow

I had a hard time following the story of this book. In one chapter Jack is 8 the the next 16 and then back to 11. Not sure if the story was jumping between now and future or if it was just poor editing. There were loose ends that never got tied up such as we learn Ian's friend is hired to sabotage Ian's life over a long period of time but there was no explanation as to why. I could see what the author was trying to relate to the reader. I just think it was drug out a bit and hard t
Leah
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Failpocalypse series . The author, George Donnelly writes his world and characters really well . I felt absolute hatred for horrible " uncle " Larry and Ian's awful money grabbing family . I felt sorry for poor Ian and his young son, Jack throughout the story .
Ian and Jack are both strong characters and are both determined to keep fighting on in life to achieve their goals and try to change the world for the better .
I received a free ARC copy of this book in exchang
Sakuralionheart
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
This was a great story about a near future world where robots have taken over the economy, so humans no longer feel the need to do anything except sit around and play video games. It was a bit scary, but the main character wants to change all that. I really felt his frustrations throughout the story and couldn't wait to see how it ended!

The only issue I had with this book was some scene transitions that occurred a skosh too abruptly, but that's just me. It doesn't stop me from wanting to pick up
Christopher
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a dystopian novel, Downfail begins (and persists) in negativity. It can be quite frustrating, as the reader wonders if anything will go well for the protagonist. But the message of this book is extremely well presented. A fast read, it's worth your time, especially if you like robot science fiction.
Anne Murphy
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.Home, family, job ,until it all goes wrong., illusions of grandeur, greed from some family members and bullying take over .Hitting rock bottom and fighting back is all he had left. Your emotions are all over the place for him and his family .twist and turns and an unexpected finish. Chapters jumped in and out but this just added to the the story.Liked it .
shannon  Stubbs
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have been a five star rating if there wasn't so much negativity with the main character. Other than that it was a great story. The next book hopefully will be better.
I've read a short story by this author and enjoyed it. It got me looking for other books written by this author. That's where I found downfail. I'm looking forward for more books and stories by this author.
Stephanie Mckeracher
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing and funny

I read this book in almost one go. I had to put it down a couple of times but was soon back to it. I felt sorry for Ian and wished he'd have something go right for him. It's quite disturbing that we all seem to rely on tech these days. It makes you think, do we really need it?
Teri Miller
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, interesting story

This story is different, I'm not a fan of dystopian fiction so it's difficult for me to gage the success or failure of a story in this genre. To be brutally honest there wasn't a single character in this story I didn't want to slap, hard!
Sharon
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Downfail

An interesting view of a robotic future and the good and bad parts of humanity in relation to it
Debbie Scott
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great story of mistakes, misadventures and mayhem. Poor Ian lost control of his life someone along with his manhood, but all is about to change. Thank you for an engaging read, Danny Scott.
Mark Sawyer
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very jumpy

Overall the book is very good but it jumps around a bit more than I care for even with that said it is very much worth the read.
Barbara
A logical extension of where we are.
Jimbo
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book stimulates you emotions from low to high and back. Good read
John M Dixon
Jun 28, 2018
tj
Oct 30, 2017 added it
You don't want to miss this!

This is a great read, well thought out, well written, and it's quite original. I can't wait to read more!
D.
Feb 06, 2018
alice Tileston
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
received free for review:
to me this story seems more sf/fantasy.
A world where humans are lumps depending on robots, all except 1 man and his young son.
Who gets to decide what is best for humanity?
Former starship redshirt turned rag-clad resistance fighter, George Donnelly is the author of space opera, cyberpunk & post-apocalyptic science fiction series. A single unschooling expat dad, George prefers zombies to aliens but is primed for any meatspace apocalypse minus grey goo.