Start by marking “Grave Expectations (Ministry of Curiosities, #4)” as Want to Read:
Grave Expectations (Ministry of Curiosities, #4)

Grave Expectations

(The Ministry of Curiosities #4)

Charlie's life is perfect. She has everything her heart desires. Until it all goes horribly wrong.

Published February 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Grave Expectations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grave Expectations

nicklein
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is, by far, my favorite installment. Except for the fact that I have wanted to strangle Lincoln a couple of times, everything else was gold.
Emma
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I normally really enjoy this paranormal Victoriana series. I did still enjoy this story but Charlie really got on my nerves. She ignored all pleas to behave in a cautious way, not just once but over and over. No wonder it ended the way it did. Look forward to seeing how the story continues from here.
Rose
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thus far, probably my favourite out of the series. I felt like the last three books have done very little in terms of moving the plot along with each one of them having a small mystery, which Charlie gets dragged into despite opposition from the Ministry and ends with either her in trouble or Lincoln 'supposedly' in trouble.

But in Grave Expectations we finally see Lincoln and Charlie commit to a serious relationship, the appearance of a serial killer targeting paranormal humans and the possibil
Kayla
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it

Charlie and Lincoln return to London to find two supernaturals have been murdered, and Charlie might be next. As if that wasn't bad enough, the man who adopted her has escaped from prison, and the committee members have just learned some news that infuriates them. Now there's talk of sending Charlie away again. Far away.

But the worst is yet to come. Charlie is kidnapped and forced to summon one of t
Feminista
Jul 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
LunaLibro
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

You know that feeling where you are so happy and giddy you practically feel like you're on the top of the world? You feel super satisfied and believe that everything has finally gone right with everyrhing then SOMETHING COMES ALONG TO RIP YOUR HEART OUT STOMP ON IT A FEW TIMES BEFORE THROWING IT IN A PAPER SHREDDER. My heeeeeeeaaaarrrt! THE FEELS ARE STRONG! One word...WHHHHHHHHHY?

Final Thoughts: Definite Read/Pass
duh rn
Aug 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Even though I've given 3 stars to each book in this series so far, this one is my favorite. I think that finally I am seeing some plot movement and character development.

I think that at the start of the series the author did a good job of balancing the light-hearted slightly humorous moments with the somewhat darker subject matter. Then in the last two books I think things might have gotten a little too heavy on the whimsical and it became somewhat harder to take things seriously. I was happy w
R.L. Hemlock
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Grave Expectations” is the fourth book in “The Ministry of Curiosities” series. Again, I would like to give fair warning that this series has some dark content and I would recommend it for mature audiences, preferably whom are not too squeamish. The story continues from the previous book “Beyond The Grave. “

Charlie’s life is perfect. She has everything her heart desires. Until it all goes horribly wrong. Charlie and Lincoln return to London to find two supernaturals have been murdered, and Char
Joy
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a 5-star story. But, I subtracted one star due to the ending.
Spoiler alert: There is no Happily Ever After
The way that the ending is written, and judging that the next part of the story is a novella and NOT a full length novel of only Lincoln's point of view, leads me to believe that a true happy ending for Charlie (Charlotte) and Lincoln is impossible.

(view spoiler)
Tracie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you like emotionally abusive relationships, this is for you.

I liked this series at the beginning because Charlie was fierce and didn't take slack from anyone. But I have become disgusted with all of the emotional, physical and verbal abuse she has to endure. This series has romanticized an abusive relationship and shown the woman as too weak to stand up for herself or to feel like she is worthy of respect. Shame on the author for that.

The cliffhanger ending was especially horrible.

Just an F
Erica Rankin
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It's always frustrating when you find a series/storyline you really enjoy, with characters that you fall in love with..then...ugh. The fierce, vibrant, snippy female character we're all rooting for.. why do they always feel the need to make her to be an idiot where her love interest is involved? Why can't she be intelligent, witty, feisty..without being a love sick fool, with little backbone, where her lover is concerned?
Stop making me lose my love for Fitzroy, please. -and my respect for Charl
Veray
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I was right when I was thinking about Edward and Bella, because this was the equivalent of New Moon and so It ended with me crying and wondering how this was going to ever fix itself. This one broke my heart and I am wondering what I will hear when I listen to the next book that is in Lincoln's voice. At this point I want to smack him up the side of the head, but I'm sure he had his reasons and I am eager to find out what they were. On to the next book!
Mischa
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This isn't anything I'd love, but I still enjoy this series, although definitely more casually that anything.

Also, I wanted to read the rest of the books because there were finally all of the parts out, and then I found out the author's planning on more than the six books. Really. Really... really??
Ambrosia
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I really wish Charlie had SOME pride. In book 6, if there isn't some serious groveling by Fitzroy, I may have to give this series up.

Also, I wish Ms. Archer would learn the difference between "reign" and "rein.". Or at least learn when to use "rein.".

lois
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
this is the most stressful one so far. i just want things to stop being ugly ughggghhgh

I think that this series is slowly but surely starting to lose me. First of all, the set-up for this novel was, in large part, false (or at the very least, a gross exaggeration and clever manipulation of the truth). I don’t really understand why this is or why the author felt it necessary to spin the synopsis in the way that she did. To some degree, this set the tone for the novel.

As I stated in my last review of Beyond the Grave (#3), the things that hadn’t irritated me in the first 2 novels
Andra Shaw
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh No He Didn't!!!!!

Grave Expectations is book 4 in the Ministry of Curiosity series. It certainly lulled me into a false sense of everything is gonna be just fine for Charlie and Lincoln. We find out more about her mother and a gift she left for her proves to be quite awesome. This one ends in a true wth moment. The usual excitement and intrigue but definitely amped up a notch with that ending. I won't spoil it, but geez!,, On to the next book in the series, Ashes to Ashes.
Barbara Russell
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you read this novel backwards, starting from the end to the beginning, you’ll get the most perfect happily ever after: Paris, great food, lovely clothes, a marriage proposal… Perfect!
This book starts so well, like a dream, and it ends in disaster :(
The only solution is to have book 5 at hand, to know what happens next ;)
Gia
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wtf, Lincoln. That so shitty.how dare u.
(view spoiler)
Peggy
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is addictive!

I really like the characters in this series. I love it when the author can write characters that have depth. That's when the reader becomes invested in the story. Because the characters become friends and you want to see them to have a good outcome. This is really a good series. I'm off to buy the fifth book! Happy Reading!
Aram Bladen
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
GOOD GRIFE!!!

OH GOD, I want to scream from anger!!!! He's being stupid for doing that to her!!! I can't believe that he did that to her!!! That proves that's he's nothing but a mere puppet to that DAMNED ministry!!! I hope everything changes in the next book!!!! I've never been so hooked up to a book and so fired up to know what happened!
Sarah Battease
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I like all of C. J. Archer's books that I've read. They are entertaining, quick reads. No, the characters (women especially) do not act like typical Victorians. However, magic wasn't really around then either, so I think a little artistic license should be allowed.
TheHangryBookDragon (Margaret Rose)
I like these books because they're mildly interesting and I don't have to invest a lot while reading. Plus, they're so small that I can fit them in my purse and read them on the go and it doesn't feel like I'm lugging it around. The ending made me roll my eyes, though.
Wendy
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my...

The ending. Oh lord the ending. I wasn’t expecting it and now I have to read the next book to find out what happens.
Bria P
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m hurt!
Marcy Schroeder
I like the series, but this was my least favorite. I will need encouragement to keep reading.
Natasha du Plessis
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
In every book in this series there is a lot to love. Great characters as always.
Darrell
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4th book excellent

This 4th book in this series was excellent and will be heading to Amazon to get the 5th book to read , such a great story with great characters!!
Jenn
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, audiobook, e-book
WTF is that ending?!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Lost (Hidden, #2)
  • Shadow's Dangers (The Last Hope, #1)
  • I Am Forever (What Kills Me, #2)
  • Babylonne (Pagan Chronicles #5)
  • Jiu Jiu, Vol. 1
  • Taste (Ava Delaney, #5)
  • Redemption (Lacey Hannigan Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark World
  • Chrono Crusade, Vol. 5 (Chrono Crusade, #5)
  • Flower in a Storm, Vol. 2 (Flower in a Storm #2)
  • The Unicorn's Tail (Artifact Hunters #2.5)
  • Catalyst (Vampire Apocalypse, #2)
  • Confessions Of A Small Town Librarian (Confession Series Book 1)
  • Sinfully Spellbound (Spells That Bind Book 1)
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 7
  • Buried Memory  (Harbinger P.I. #2)
  • Since He Really Feels (He Feels Trilogy, #3)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

The Ministry of Curiosities (10 books)
  • The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)
  • Her Majesty's Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #2)
  • Beyond The Grave (The Ministry of Curiosities, #3)
  • Ashes To Ashes (Ministry of Curiosities, #5)
  • From The Ashes (The Ministry of Curiosities #6)
  • Of Fates And Phantoms (The Ministry of Curiosities, #7)
  • Veiled in Moonlight (The Ministry of Curiosities, #8)
  • Vow of Deception (The Ministry of Curiosities #9)
  • The Wisdom of Madness (Ministry of Curiosities, #10)
“If cities were people, then Paris was a dancer where London was a vicar's wife.” 0 likes