Start by marking “Grave Expectations (Ministry of Curiosities, #4)” as Want to Read:
Grave Expectations (Ministry of Curiosities, #4)

Grave Expectations

(The Ministry of Curiosities #4)

Charlie's life is perfect. She has everything her heart desires. Until it all goes horribly wrong.

Published February 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Grave Expectations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grave Expectations

Start your review of Grave Expectations (Ministry of Curiosities, #4)
nicklein
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is, by far, my favorite installment. Except for the fact that I have wanted to strangle Lincoln a couple of times, everything else was gold.
Emma
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I normally really enjoy this paranormal Victoriana series. I did still enjoy this story but Charlie really got on my nerves. She ignored all pleas to behave in a cautious way, not just once but over and over. No wonder it ended the way it did. Look forward to seeing how the story continues from here.
Feminista
Jul 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Rose
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thus far, probably my favourite out of the series. I felt like the last three books have done very little in terms of moving the plot along with each one of them having a small mystery, which Charlie gets dragged into despite opposition from the Ministry and ends with either her in trouble or Lincoln 'supposedly' in trouble.

But in Grave Expectations we finally see Lincoln and Charlie commit to a serious relationship, the appearance of a serial killer targeting paranormal humans and the possibil
duh rn
Aug 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Kayla
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it

Charlie and Lincoln return to London to find two supernaturals have been murdered, and Charlie might be next. As if that wasn't bad enough, the man who adopted her has escaped from prison, and the committee members have just learned some news that infuriates them. Now there's talk of sending Charlie away again. Far away.

But the worst is yet to come. Charlie is kidnapped and forced to summon one of t
LunaLibro
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

You know that feeling where you are so happy and giddy you practically feel like you're on the top of the world? You feel super satisfied and believe that everything has finally gone right with everyrhing then SOMETHING COMES ALONG TO RIP YOUR HEART OUT STOMP ON IT A FEW TIMES BEFORE THROWING IT IN A PAPER SHREDDER. My heeeeeeeaaaarrrt! THE FEELS ARE STRONG! One word...WHHHHHHHHHY?

Final Thoughts: Definite Read/Pass
Joy
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a 5-star story. But, I subtracted one star due to the ending.
Spoiler alert: There is no Happily Ever After
The way that the ending is written, and judging that the next part of the story is a novella and NOT a full length novel of only Lincoln's point of view, leads me to believe that a true happy ending for Charlie (Charlotte) and Lincoln is impossible.

Eve
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ooooo, this one got me angry. You’d think that you’d see some bonding between the main couple since they only just got together after a long wait, but no, they were separated most of the time. That ending especially just made my blood boil. My goodness! Just...what was the point of this book? I really don’t understand this time.
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Even though I've given 3 stars to each book in this series so far, this one is my favorite. I think that finally I am seeing some plot movement and character development.

I think that at the start of the series the author did a good job of balancing the light-hearted slightly humorous moments with the somewhat darker subject matter. Then in the last two books I think things might have gotten a little too heavy on the whimsical and it became somewhat harder to take things seriously. I was happy w
R.L. Hemlock
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Grave Expectations” is the fourth book in “The Ministry of Curiosities” series. Again, I would like to give fair warning that this series has some dark content and I would recommend it for mature audiences, preferably whom are not too squeamish. The story continues from the previous book “Beyond The Grave. “

Charlie’s life is perfect. She has everything her heart desires. Until it all goes horribly wrong. Charlie and Lincoln return to London to find two supernaturals have been murdered, and Char
Tracie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you like emotionally abusive relationships, this is for you.

I liked this series at the beginning because Charlie was fierce and didn't take slack from anyone. But I have become disgusted with all of the emotional, physical and verbal abuse she has to endure. This series has romanticized an abusive relationship and shown the woman as too weak to stand up for herself or to feel like she is worthy of respect. Shame on the author for that.

The cliffhanger ending was especially horrible.

Just an F
Erica Rankin
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It's always frustrating when you find a series/storyline you really enjoy, with characters that you fall in love with..then...ugh. The fierce, vibrant, snippy female character we're all rooting for.. why do they always feel the need to make her to be an idiot where her love interest is involved? Why can't she be intelligent, witty, feisty..without being a love sick fool, with little backbone, where her lover is concerned?
Stop making me lose my love for Fitzroy, please. -and my respect for Charl
Beth  Rose
May 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I've been really hot and cold on this series, particularly due to our Leading Man, Mr Fitzroy. I was willing to give him a bit of a pass because brooding Victorian hero but I honestly think his actions in this book are unforgivable. I'm not sure I want to continue reading it knowing it'll all be swept under the rug and likely not mentioned again (view spoiler)and his bouts of anger, irrationality and cruelty will be romant ...more
Veray
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I was right when I was thinking about Edward and Bella, because this was the equivalent of New Moon and so It ended with me crying and wondering how this was going to ever fix itself. This one broke my heart and I am wondering what I will hear when I listen to the next book that is in Lincoln's voice. At this point I want to smack him up the side of the head, but I'm sure he had his reasons and I am eager to find out what they were. On to the next book!
Mischa
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This isn't anything I'd love, but I still enjoy this series, although definitely more casually that anything.

Also, I wanted to read the rest of the books because there were finally all of the parts out, and then I found out the author's planning on more than the six books. Really. Really... really??
Ambrosia
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I really wish Charlie had SOME pride. In book 6, if there isn't some serious groveling by Fitzroy, I may have to give this series up.

Also, I wish Ms. Archer would learn the difference between "reign" and "rein.". Or at least learn when to use "rein.".

lois
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
this is the most stressful one so far. i just want things to stop being ugly ughggghhgh

I think that this series is slowly but surely starting to lose me. First of all, the set-up for this novel was, in large part, false (or at the very least, a gross exaggeration and clever manipulation of the truth). I don’t really understand why this is or why the author felt it necessary to spin the synopsis in the way that she did. To some degree, this set the tone for the novel.

As I stated in my last review of Beyond the Grave (#3), the things that hadn’t irritated me in the first 2 novels
OldBird
I'm getting really torn about this series. It takes two steps forwards, but then all the steps back. The "romance" is getting to me and leaving me increasingly frustrated and troubled. I'm still engrossed by the paranormal mystery side of things, but Lincoln... Ladies, if a guy treats you like this, get out of there.

(Mild spoilers ahoy for anyone not caught up on the romantic antics)

After Charlie's ultimatum at the end of book 3, I had higher hopes for how things would develop. She seemed to wan
Autumn
Sep 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
My ratings keep getting worse as the story keeps getting worse. I’ve reached 1 star, I can’t get any lower than that.

Jen
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a little more cheesiness in the beginning of this one, but mostly my biggest disappointment came from the lack of Lincoln's presence during the majority of the book, followed by what it culminated to in the end. The mystery and magic were still intriguing, and I adore how much Seth, Gus and Cook care for Charlie like a sister. I just hated how it started with an engagement and quickly turned into Lincoln avoiding Charlie again because she was too much of a "distraction" rather than dis ...more
Lauren
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one took me a bit longer to get into than some of the others. I started reading the book, and found this title to be a bit more hastily put together than the first three books in the series--like little moments that could have been more dramatic were glossed over a bit. Then Hoopla released the audiobook version and then I flew through this! A good narrator can make or break an audiobook, and I think the narrator (Shiromi Arserio) doesn't just make these books, she elevates it.

I downloaded
Andra Shaw
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh No He Didn't!!!!!

Grave Expectations is book 4 in the Ministry of Curiosity series. It certainly lulled me into a false sense of everything is gonna be just fine for Charlie and Lincoln. We find out more about her mother and a gift she left for her proves to be quite awesome. This one ends in a true wth moment. The usual excitement and intrigue but definitely amped up a notch with that ending. I won't spoil it, but geez!,, On to the next book in the series, Ashes to Ashes.
Anna Nesterovich
Feb 05, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio
By the fourth volume it's not only badly written and repetitive, but also inconsistent. Our marvelous necromancer controls the spirits she summons. But not all. One has to stay in the room till she releases him. Another really wants revenge and walks away perfectly fine, without knowing some special spell a witch must know to walk away from a necromancer in case she were to be summoned (such a usefull spell to know, given the number of necromancers in the world). Anyway, the story became too bor ...more
Peggy
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is addictive!

I really like the characters in this series. I love it when the author can write characters that have depth. That's when the reader becomes invested in the story. Because the characters become friends and you want to see them to have a good outcome. This is really a good series. I'm off to buy the fifth book! Happy Reading!
Barbara Russell
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you read this novel backwards, starting from the end to the beginning, you’ll get the most perfect happily ever after: Paris, great food, lovely clothes, a marriage proposal… Perfect!
This book starts so well, like a dream, and it ends in disaster :(
The only solution is to have book 5 at hand, to know what happens next ;)
Gia
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wtf, Lincoln. That so shitty.how dare u.
Aram Bladen
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
GOOD GRIFE!!!

OH GOD, I want to scream from anger!!!! He's being stupid for doing that to her!!! I can't believe that he did that to her!!! That proves that's he's nothing but a mere puppet to that DAMNED ministry!!! I hope everything changes in the next book!!!! I've never been so hooked up to a book and so fired up to know what happened!
Camilla
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The reviews of this particular installment were kind of harsh. I knew Lincoln was leading up to this decision and I knew how Charlie would feel about it. It was kind of exhilarating to read the kind of turmoil and drama their actions stirred up and I thought it was perfectly appropriate for this type of serial drama. It was a great book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shut Up & Read: Grave Expectations by C.J. Archer 13 22 Apr 02, 2020 07:56PM

• The Silver Skull (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • Awakening (Return of the Elves, #6)
  • The Iron Fin (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
  • Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters, #2)
  • Kraken and Canals (Elemental Steampunk Stories, #2)
  • A Reflection of Shadows (Elemental Steampunk Tales, #3)
  • A Snowflake at Midnight (Elemental Steampunk Tales, #4)
  • The Golden Spider (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • Rust and Steam (Elemental Steampunk Stories, #3)
  • Evernight (Darkest London, #5)
  • Best Wishes (How to Be the Best Damn Faery Godmother in the World or Die Trying #4)
  • Chaotic (Arcane Mage, #1)
  • Soulbound (Return of the Elves, #1)
  • Voodoo Butterfly (Voodoo Butterfly, #1)
  • Gossip and Gorgons (Manners and Monsters, #3)
  • Soulbound (Darkest London, #6)
  • Nero's Fiddle (Artifact Hunters #3)
  • As You Wish (How To Be The Best Damn Faery Godmother In The World Or Die Trying #3)
Over 1 MILLION books sold!

C.J. Archer is the USA Today bestselling author of historical fantasy novels including THE EMILY CHAMBERS SPIRIT MEDIUM TRILOGY, the FREAK HOUSE series, the MINISTRY OF CURIOSITIES series and the GLASS AND STEELE books. She has also written AFTER THE RIFT, an epic fantasy series, and historical romances.

C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can rememb

The Ministry of Curiosities (10 books)
  • The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)
  • Her Majesty's Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #2)
  • Beyond The Grave (The Ministry of Curiosities #3)
  • Ashes To Ashes (Ministry of Curiosities, #5)
  • From The Ashes (The Ministry of Curiosities #6)
  • Of Fates And Phantoms (The Ministry of Curiosities, #7)
  • Veiled in Moonlight (The Ministry of Curiosities, #8)
  • Vow of Deception (The Ministry of Curiosities #9)
  • The Wisdom of Madness (Ministry of Curiosities Book 10)

News & Interviews

“If cities were people, then Paris was a dancer where London was a vicar's wife.” 0 likes